WMC 12/13: Mercy kill. (0-4)

Re: WMC 12/13: Preseason Time!

Postby dj vitus on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:44 pm

I don't mind Jamison at the 3 in spot minutes, but with Dwight out, he shouldn't even be playing the 3 at all. :freak2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Finwë on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Jordan Hill's injury. :bang:

I hope it's the last injury we have this season.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:38 am

If the first bench rotation is: blake, ebanks, jamison, clark, somogyi I'm going to puke. I don't care that its just preseason.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:30 pm

Thank God

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter

Here's the current depth chart for the 2nd unit, drawing from Brown's comments: Blake, Meeks, Ebanks, Jamison (moving over to the 4).
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:59 pm

:sing: :sing: :sing:

I'm glad Brown isn't a complete idiot. Can't blame Laker fans for being concerned though after last season.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:04 pm

therealdeal wrote::sing: :sing: :sing:

I'm glad Brown isn't a complete idiot. Can't blame Laker fans for being concerned though after last season.

I can 100%. Laker fans aren't concerned they are over the top with the Brown hate.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:04 pm

But with that tweet I posted, don't be surprised if Meeks still isn't or some of the 2nd unit aren't together for most of the pre-season games. But the last one or last two games they should start playing together.
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:09 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:

I can 100%. Laker fans aren't concerned they are over the top with the Brown hate.

I just don't really read those posts anymore. Or if I do they just fade away quickly from my mind.

The rational ones around here were merely... concerned. Brown has a reputation already for messing up rotations and none of us wanted to see him screw this one up.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:But with that tweet I posted, don't be surprised if Meeks still isn't or some of the 2nd unit aren't together for most of the pre-season games. But the last one or last two games they should start playing together.

I'm guessing he's putting Meeks back there for a few reasons, most of which center around his irrational love for bad lineups. But I also think he wants to test Meeks a bit and see if really can create his own shot like Meeks said he could. The first thing Meeks said when he came here was that he could help our outside shooting but that he was also an able creator too.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Alcindor on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:21 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:But with that tweet I posted, don't be surprised if Meeks still isn't or some of the 2nd unit aren't together for most of the pre-season games. But the last one or last two games they should start playing together.

I'm guessing he's putting Meeks back there for a few reasons, most of which center around his irrational love for bad lineups. But I also think he wants to test Meeks a bit and see if really can create his own shot like Meeks said he could. The first thing Meeks said when he came here was that he could help our outside shooting but that he was also an able creator too.

He also said he wanted to show he can defend too so Brown definitely needs to play the guy to evaluate all this. Putting Ebanks at the 2 seems to be counter productive in that regard.
Alcindor

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:25 pm

^ He looked solid in the first game, but he was playing the crap dudes anyway.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:39 pm

therealdeal wrote:

Yeah, your probably right
Battle Tested20

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:41 pm

therealdeal wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:

I just don't really read those posts anymore. Or if I do they just fade away quickly from my mind.

The rational ones around here were merely... concerned. Brown has a reputation already for messing up rotations and none of us wanted to see him screw this one up.

I guess that is where I see it differently from everyone. Brown wasn't in a win/win situation last year and thus, in my opinion, everything he did was on the fly and should be looked at that way. He didn't want to play Kobe 87 minutes a game but who else stepped up? Fans complained about Pau being passive, Drew being a Diva, Blake being a no-show, Fisher being Fisher (until traded) etc.etc.etc. Fans wanted wins but cringed when we got them because we had to rely on certain players too much. They wanted to bring in the rookies like Glock and then ignored that rookies can't be relied on in general. Now, fans are calling for GLock and Morris to be gone period. Those were the PG saviors Brown apparently killed? People complained that Blake was getting to much time then failed to even acknowledge that Blake was one of the few guys not afraid of the moment unlike Sessions who disappeared in the playoffs. What's my point? Simple, to me this is his first season where he can implement his vision on the team, his coaching staff can work with the players and everyone knows they are here. The board seems deadset on killing the guy even with one preseason game... that is crazy.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Juronimo on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:29 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:

I guess that is where I see it differently from everyone. Brown wasn't in a win/win situation last year and thus, in my opinion, everything he did was on the fly and should be looked at that way. He didn't want to play Kobe 87 minutes a game but who else stepped up? Fans complained about Pau being passive, Drew being a Diva, Blake being a no-show, Fisher being Fisher (until traded) etc.etc.etc. Fans wanted wins but cringed when we got them because we had to rely on certain players too much. They wanted to bring in the rookies like Glock and then ignored that rookies can't be relied on in general. Now, fans are calling for GLock and Morris to be gone period. Those were the PG saviors Brown apparently killed? People complained that Blake was getting to much time then failed to even acknowledge that Blake was one of the few guys not afraid of the moment unlike Sessions who disappeared in the playoffs. What's my point? Simple, to me this is his first season where he can implement his vision on the team, his coaching staff can work with the players and everyone knows they are here. The board seems deadset on killing the guy even with one preseason game... that is crazy.

I agree with this. I think Brown deserves a chance to see what he can do with an entire training camp and season before bringing out the torches and pitchforks.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:05 pm

I'm not disagreeing with you guys, but that doesn't mean I'm not wary at the moment about Brown. When he was hired I wanted to give him a shot before being upset and I did.

All I'm saying is that he's not getting the benefit of the doubt from me.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:57 pm

Time is now for this team ... a 2 seasons window for this core and that's it ... we don't have time to give Brown another chance , a whole training camp, a whole season and go from there ect ... this season is already win or bust ...

Brown had the same weaknesses as a coach for the Cavs ... poor rotations AND a total inability to make adjustments in a playoffs series ... obviously he had a less talented roster and the Lebron circus stole the show medias wise but watch ( if you haven't yet) the series against Orlando and Boston ... no adjustments made in between games .

He's not going to get better this season because of a training camp , hopefully better assistants coaches and the overall talent of the roster will make up for his inabilities.

As for his "new" 2nd unit lineup , he changed it because of Hill injury ... let's see if Meeks , Ebanks and Jamison still will be at the 2, 3 and 4 when Jordan comes back
wcsoldier81

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:25 pm

therealdeal wrote:I'm not disagreeing with you guys, but that doesn't mean I'm not wary at the moment about Brown. When he was hired I wanted to give him a shot before being upset and I did.

All I'm saying is that he's not getting the benefit of the doubt from me.

I don't disagree that the expectations should be high for the coach and his staff. This team is built to win it all. Again, I say very few gave him a shot all people did was call the front office stupid and said they didn't care about winning. Again, we have that every year don't we? Last year couldn't have been "the shot" considering all that we as a team went through. I think Brown did what he needed to do last year which was come in and change very little in a shortened season. I found it funny that Brown was the problem and his rotations was the problem when he had less to work with than PJax did the year before even though PJax got swept out of the playoffs. I rarely talk about Brown on this board cause it is nothing but "potato head" hate. I'll talk to you cause I know your style.

Brown doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt because this is his team, his players and his rotations. This team, if healthy, should be in the Finals this year plain and simple.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:10 am

I appreciate the honesty puffy and I agree with you that a lot of Laker fans were digging this guy's grave before he even got a chance to show what he's capable of as a coach.

I definitely blame him less for his rotations last season than most. I think he was given a poor hand and he did what he thought he could with it. The one thing that really bugged me was his relentless determination to play Kobe too much. That would have been the one thing that I wouldn't do as a coach. He's too old to play the minutes he did. Other than that, his rotations weren't great, but they were dictated by the limited talent we had and I understand that.

This season I'm definitely not that down on him. I think he's got a tremendous staff around him that have proven their ability in the NBA with Bickerstaff and Jordan. I like their plan thus far. But since the rotation of Kobe's backup was the one issue that truly irked me with Brown last season, it's a bit of a soft spot for me this season.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:36 pm

First quarter defense was horrible. Lucky not to be down more :disagree:

On the bright side, Metta is looking great again so far. He's got 6 points but all of those have been tough layups. Old Metta would've gotten those shots blocked :man10:
nthydro

Postby Finwë on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:52 pm

nthydro wrote:First quarter defense was horrible. Lucky not to be down more :disagree:

On the bright side, Metta is looking great again so far. He's got 6 points but all of those have been tough layups. Old Metta would've gotten those shots blocked :man10:

Agreed, but I think it was more a question of effort and willingness than anything else.. Which is understandable since it's preseason and we're missing key guys, there's no real motivation
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby The Rock on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:20 pm

Steve Nash's veteran backups tonight

Steve Blake 14 minutes, 0 points
Chris Duhon 8 minutes 0 points

:man10:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby karacha on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:20 pm

The bench is horrific. Fortunately, most of them won't really play.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:37 pm

I hope D12 will play with the 2nd unit ... even with Jamison ( who obviously is as bored with preseason as I am ) , there is little scoring potential on the bench ...

Our team is 7 deep ( starting 5 + Hill and Jamison) , Meeks and CDR will contribute here and there but I don't expect them to be consistant.

Blake and Ebanks are garbage and I won't bother talking about the Duhon , Clark and Morris of this world
wcsoldier81

Postby dj vitus on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:49 pm

DJO with a DNP???
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby dj vitus on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:52 pm

The Rock wrote:Steve Nash's veteran backups tonight

Steve Blake 14 minutes, 0 points
Chris Duhon 8 minutes 0 points

:man10:

:freak2: I think Steve Nash is healthy enough to play 38 minutes a game.
dj vitus

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion