WMC 12/13: Mercy kill. (0-4)

Re: WMC 12/13: .500! Finally flushed it home (30-30)

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:32 pm

I've always supported Gasol on this team as well...

They're probably on the LBJ blow train or just closet Laker haters. I know I'm not the only one who's seen the Kobe hating.

WMC: Haters
Chillbongo

Postby Snake Eyes on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:41 pm

so true... lol they act like we are world beaters now when in reality lakers have beat some crappy teams in this stretch.

I see your point, but the Lakers found ways to lose to crappy teams prior to this last 20 game run. We did beat the Hawks, Thunder, Celtics, and Nets in the last 18 games. I know sitting at .500 is below Lakers fans' expectations, but for a fanbase that has been greatly disappointed in this team this year, this is pretty exciting. It is giving us hope that we can at least make the playoffs.
Snake Eyes

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^^ We are so privileged here to have both of you to keep us uninformed fans up to speed on how the team is doing.

I was thinking the same thing. Without the genius who said Lakers had sold out to the mexican illegals in the GD thread (Maluco) and the other one who calls games over at tipoff I wouldn't know what to do with myself. We as fans are lucky to have such great minds to keep us grounded. :freak2:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby gcclaker on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:24 pm

therealdeal wrote:What the f*** are your problems?

We as fans want to feel good about the team. They're winning games at a 70% clip in almost their last 20 games. Why the f*** shouldn't we be excited and confident again?

Misery loves company?
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:04 pm

if you'd have told me in the preseason that pau gasol would have plantar fasciitis in both feet and miss half the season, nash would miss 25 games (all with his backup out, too), jordan hill would miss 60 games, and howard would still be moving like a robot in march, i would have taken the 8th seed.
abeer3

Postby gcclaker on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:15 pm

abeer3 wrote:if you'd have told me in the preseason that pau gasol would have plantar fasciitis in both feet and miss half the season, nash would miss 25 games (all with his backup out, too), jordan hill would miss 60 games, and howard would still be moving like a robot in march, i would have taken the 8th seed.

Don't forget a center that is NOT fully recovered from back surgery...missing that off the floor explosion and less than optimum conditioning.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:18 pm

Maluco Beleza wrote:so true... lol they act like we are world beaters now when in reality lakers have beat some crappy teams in this stretch.

WTF are you talking about? The team is playing .700+ ball right now, beating some pretty good squads in the process. This nice streak was done without either Dwight -- or Gasol. Let that sink. We beat UTA, OKC, BKN, BOS, ATL... all good teams, playoff teams with records over .500.

How many teams are playing better in the last month or so? SAS, OKC, MIA, possibly IND and LAC. Possibly.

We finally have most of the guys healthy, but are still missing Gasol and Hill. We had a dramatic coaching change with a total shift in basketball philosophy. We did not have set rotations. We were not able to build chemistry for various reasons. We played without a PG... oh, I'm sorry, we actually had MORRIS starting. My bad.

Now, our guys finally figured their role. Dwight is playing hard. With a busted shoulder. Dude has not played basketball 8 months before the season started and the management expected him to start some time in January. Nash is shooting more and is very involved now. Kobe won WC Player of the Month and pretty much plays like his young self again. Jamison is contributing significantly right now. The chemistry is finally good.

Look: are we the best in the league? No. Are we going to win it all? Probably not. But your team can't win it every year. No team does that. We should be able to enjoy some good basketball finally and think about the positives. We have a good shot at making the playoffs now. More interesting games for us to watch, for sure. We make some noise this season, prepare for the next one, see what we can get for Pau... we put ourselves in perfect position to try again with Hill coming back, Clark probably resigned in a bigger role, maybe some athletic guys join the team for a fresh run. The year after -- we're in perfect position to rebuild the team with young guys, hungry to play on the biggest stage. Exciting times are coming for us! No one in the league is in a better position to rebuild in a year and half. We can bring a new superstar. We can attract quality veterans easily.

I honestly don't know WTF is wrong with some people here. It's almost like they can't enjoy anything at all. How can someone be so consistently negative is beyond me.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:22 pm

^I read somewhere that the Lakers are third behind San Antonio and Miami in winning percentage after the All Star Break. They don't resemble the same listless, confused, bumbling bunch prior to it. Even the few games before that they were showing a pulse.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:31 pm

abeer3 wrote:if you'd have told me in the preseason that pau gasol would have plantar fasciitis in both feet and miss half the season, nash would miss 25 games (all with his backup out, too), jordan hill would miss 60 games, and howard would still be moving like a robot in march, i would have taken the 8th seed.

Don't forget Blake being out a third of the season.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Chillbongo wrote:I've always supported Gasol on this team as well...

They're probably on the LBJ blow train or just closet Laker haters. I know I'm not the only one who's seen the Kobe hating.

WMC: Haters

I've seen it for 17 seasons.
Jazzygirl205

Postby abeer3 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:38 pm

well said from karacha. i'm no sunshine pumper (i honestly don't think the lakers will make the playoffs), but we've seen some positives as the season has progressed. this team has had worse luck than anyone save maybe minnesota this year (and i suppose chicago, though their misfortune was know prior to the season's start), and they're still in the hunt in the tough west. if they make the playoffs, it's an accomplishment, imo. lesser teams (like minny) packed it in a while ago.

so, while i'll still be a regular in the wmc thread (i'm guessing because of turnovers and poor defense), i can recognize that the team has had a rough go and have tried to make the best of it. hopefully, it's a character building year for some of the young guys and especially howard.
abeer3

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:41 am

Lakers coaches will tell you they’re not a bad defensive team, per se. In the half court, the numbers aren’t necessarily dominant, but they’re not awful, either.
What they are, they’ll say, is a horrible transition defensive team.

Looking at the Synergy numbers, it’s hard to argue the point. The Lakers are the league’s 11th ranked half court defense measured by points-per-play at .886. Historically, 11th won’t win a title, but it’s also not a figure leaving the Lakers defense open to the sort of mocking and derision received from fans and media on a near-hourly basis. In transition, though, the Lakers are a total disaster. They rank 24th, allowing 1.167 points per play. Compounding the problem: No team in the NBA has been put in transition more than L.A., who have faced 903 such possessions, over 30 more than the next closest team (Sacramento). Even taking pace considerations away, a league-leading 14.4 percent of their defensive possessions come in transition.
Not surprisingly, then, no team in the NBA has allowed more transition points, at 1,054. Even the slowest teams in the league run on the Lakers, because why wouldn’t they?

Compounding the problem, the Lakers don’t compensate with easy points at the other end. Their half-court offense is the league’s sixth best (.92 ppp), but L.A. is 23rd in transition points (1.086) and have the fifth lowest percentage of transition plays, at 11 percent. So when Kobe Bryant says things like “Transition defense is the most important thing,” as he did following Sunday’s win over Atlanta, he’s not off base.
Particularly Tuesday in Oklahoma City. The Thunder are the NBA’s most efficient transition offense, at 1.235 points per play. Asked what needs to happen for the Lakers to win, he talked about limiting catch-and-shoots for Kevin Durant and crowding Russell Westbrook, but in the end came back to the same thing. “Ultimately, it’s transition defense. If we can keep them in the half court, we give ourselves a much better opportunity,” he said. “We just have got to get back. Almost not go for offensive rebounds at all. Just get back in transition, and try to stop those break points.”

(Maybe the Lakers can run some sort of reverse cherry-pick strategy, in which only three players cross mid-court into the offensive zone, because I’m fairly sure OKC’s pre-game whiteboard strategy will be something akin to “Release the hounds!”)
Which gets to the crux of the problem. The coaches and players aren’t lying when they say the Lakers are a pretty good half court team, defensively. Except it it’s a distinction without much practical difference if they can’t force teams into half court sets, and they’re still not doing it nearly enough.

http://landolakers.com/2013/03/04/stats-show-lakers-defense-hurt-in-transition/
wcsoldier81

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:11 am

abeer3 wrote:well said from karacha. i'm no sunshine pumper (i honestly don't think the lakers will make the playoffs), but we've seen some positives as the season has progressed. this team has had worse luck than anyone save maybe minnesota this year (and i suppose chicago, though their misfortune was know prior to the season's start), and they're still in the hunt in the tough west. if they make the playoffs, it's an accomplishment, imo. lesser teams (like minny) packed it in a while ago.

so, while i'll still be a regular in the wmc thread (i'm guessing because of turnovers and poor defense), i can recognize that the team has had a rough go and have tried to make the best of it. hopefully, it's a character building year for some of the young guys and especially howard.

Dang Abeer, I'm surprised to hear you say that the Lakers probably won't make the playoffs. You really think the Jazz are gonna make it over the Lakers, given their brutal March schedule? I actually had the Jazz finishing 44-38, but that was assuming they would beat the Celtics and Hawks at home (and they lost both games)...so technically I got them finishing 42-40 now...but i'll give them one more win to make up for the hawks or celtics game...so 43-39. You think the Lakers won't finish 44-38?
FabFourLakers

Postby abeer3 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:06 am

i don't, but i'd like to be wrong this time! the lakers have too many road games, imo, and they still haven't gotten it together there. they need to win on the road at a pace similar to teams in 1st place to get to that win mark, i think.

the article posted above is sobering. i hadn't looked at the numbers, but my eyes told me that the lakers' halfcourt d was actually pretty solid. and apparently the half court offense is quite good. all of this says that, if possible, the lakers need to play super slow.

and they hired mike dantoni. i'm still wmcing about that months later.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:09 am

I'd like to see their defensive numbers over the games since we started this 70% winning streak. Or better yet just the numbers since the All-Star break.

We've been a different team since then and although our transition numbers will still be awful, I think we'd see the bump in half-court defense that reflects what we're watching now.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Coach Chris on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:33 am

abeer3 wrote:i don't, but i'd like to be wrong this time! the lakers have too many road games, imo, and they still haven't gotten it together there. they need to win on the road at a pace similar to teams in 1st place to get to that win mark, i think.

the article posted above is sobering. i hadn't looked at the numbers, but my eyes told me that the lakers' halfcourt d was actually pretty solid. and apparently the half court offense is quite good. all of this says that, if possible, the lakers need to play super slow.

and they hired mike dantoni. i'm still wmcing about that months later.

They have MDA, but he isn't the same MDA that we saw in Phoenix. They are running their offense as a much slower pace that those teams did. I think the biggest problem we have in transition is age and speed. In the recent loss against Denver, one many of their breaks there were a couple of Lakers down court of the ball at the start of the break, but the ball out ran the defenders.
Dr. Jerry Buss
January 27, 1933 - February 18, 2013
Coach Chris

Postby The Rock on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:33 pm

FU Stern, no suspension for Ibaka are you kidding me

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:28 pm

^Yeah that's pretty absurd honestly. If that was Ron he would have been gone for 3-4 games

“We just have got to get back. Almost not go for offensive rebounds at all. Just get back in transition, and try to stop those break points.”

So glad to hear Kobe say this. I think offensive rebounding is incredibly overrated and for a team like the Lakers that is so damn slow they shouldn't be wasting effort on them. They should just be getting back every possession to prevent transition baskets.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby The Rock on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Im not sure if we'll win tonight, just get out of there healthy

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:56 pm

25K fine for punching a guy in the junk with anger on his face, wow. Ron does that and he's out 5 games. Nice job of keeping the Thunder at full strength for the big game tonight though Stern.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby 24/23goats on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:09 pm

why do you act like Ibaka has the same reputation as MWP and deserves the same treatment? Of course MWP gets more fouls/fines/suspensions because of his history and well hes kinda insane. Ibaka's slap doesnt deserve a suspension, the flagrant 1 is enough. You guys call the league soft, but cry when someone doesnt get suspended for something like that.

Lakers have a pretty good chance against okc as long as they stop the fastbreak. OKC is a pretty bad team when you get them in half court. its either durant iso or westbrook iso which is bound to fail if one of them is off.
24/23goats

Postby laker911 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:14 pm

24/23goats wrote:You guys call the league soft, but cry when someone doesnt get suspended for something like that.

You really don't get why we are upset do you? It's the fact that there are different rules for different people and teams. I'd be happy if the league were consistent on suspensions and fines, however it seems that Stern and his amigos bend the rules a lot to favor certain teams and players.
laker911

Postby khmrP on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:14 pm

yea I dont know how some of you guys can use MWP as ref for double standard.......whatever MWP gets he DESERVES, he's done those things countless times. Now if Ibaka punched someone in the balls again and still no suspension then there is room to argue.
khmrP

Postby khmrP on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:15 pm

laker911 wrote:
24/23goats wrote:You guys call the league soft, but cry when someone doesnt get suspended for something like that.

You really don't get why we are upset do you? It's the fact that there are different rules for different people and teams. I'd be happy if the league were consistent on suspensions and fines, however it seems that Stern and his amigos bend the rules a lot to favor certain teams and players.

and you'd be surprised just to see how many non-Laker fans and haters alike think Stern is doing all he can to get us in the playoffs.
khmrP

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:23 pm

laker911 wrote:

^^ This. Good post.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion