WMC 12/13: Mercy kill. (0-4)

Re: WMC 12/13: .500! Finally flushed it home (30-30)

Postby 24/23goats on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:23 pm

doesnt matter what you or I think. Only what the league thinks. Thats just my opinion on why they didnt suspend him.

yelling at a fan is worse than punching another player. btw
Last edited by 24/23goats on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24/23goats

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:23 pm

You hit the nail on the head. It's all about the media perception. The NBA has to keep its image.

I remember last year when Ron Ron elbowed Harden...it was a national game on ABC and that f****** imbecile Mike Breen says "Without a doubt MWP will be missing multiple games for this"....and that pretty much sealed the deal.

Of course he should have been suspended, but 5 games?

F*** Mike Breen I hate that clown.
Last edited by Chillbongo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:25 pm

24/23goats wrote:doesnt matter what you or I think. Only what the league thinks. Thats just my opinion on why they didnt suspend him.

yelling at a fan is worse than punching another player. btw

I understand my opinion doesn't matter, but I come here to post it anyway. I assume that's why you're here too.

And I don't think it is. btw
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:27 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:Take this into consideration: Steve Blake yells at fan: $25,000 fine. Serge Ibaka hits groin: $25,000 fine.

This
Last edited by Chillbongo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chillbongo

Postby 24/23goats on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:28 pm

well thats your opinion. Mine is theres nothing worse than doing something against the people that support your sport and make it possible for you to have a job. BG isnt giving ibaka a job. All the fans who support the NBA are the ones who make being an pro baller possible
24/23goats

Postby Coach Chris on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:37 pm

laker911 wrote:
24/23goats wrote:You guys call the league soft, but cry when someone doesnt get suspended for something like that.

You really don't get why we are upset do you? It's the fact that there are different rules for different people and teams. I'd be happy if the league were consistent on suspensions and fines, however it seems that Stern and his amigos bend the rules a lot to favor certain teams and players.

I don't see what rules are being bent, and I don't see them favoring certain teams or players. I do believe there are different rules for different players, and Artest is one of them. It is a reputation he has earned, so it is tough to fault the league and not him. I think that in 10 out of 10 cases, the overreaction will be to the shot to the head/neck over the shot to the nads. Ron has the reputation as, and he is, a head hunter. That will get you special attention from the league.
Dr. Jerry Buss
January 27, 1933 - February 18, 2013
Coach Chris

Postby Coach Chris on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:40 pm

Ariza3 wrote:they wont suspend him just bc theyre playing the lakers next. if it was the bobcats or some other crap team they prob would. but the lakers vs okc....no way they suspend him. its a fine and thats it.

That is complete bull.
Dr. Jerry Buss
January 27, 1933 - February 18, 2013
Coach Chris

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:42 pm

24/23goats wrote:well thats your opinion. Mine is theres nothing worse than doing something against the people that support your sport and make it possible for you to have a job. BG isnt giving ibaka a job. All the fans who support the NBA are the ones who make being an pro baller possible

opinions mean nothing.

you're going to sit here and say if you take a test, you and someone else get caught cheating (no history of you two cheating), you get expelled but the other person gets one grade lower on their test, based on what your teacher thinks? that's fair to you?
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:49 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:opinions mean nothing.

Unless your LBJ

LeBron James @KingJames

So explain to me the difference? My teammate gets a 1 game suspension and 150k+ taking away from him for his groin altercation #strangetome

— LeBron James (@KingJames) March 5, 2013

Watch the league retroactively suspend Ibaka. Or randomly T him up and eject him during our game tonight.
Chillbongo

Postby khmrP on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:55 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:opinions mean nothing.

Unless your LBJ

LeBron James @KingJames

So explain to me the difference? My teammate gets a 1 game suspension and 150k+ taking away from him for his groin altercation #strangetome

— LeBron James (@KingJames) March 5, 2013

Watch the league retroactively suspend Ibaka. Or randomly T him up and eject him during our game tonight.

King has spoken something shall be done! :man10: But here's a good example of consistency though, I put money that Barnes is gona get fined for his tweet while Lebron wont get fined for his though.
khmrP

Postby JGC on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:55 pm

therealdeal wrote::man10:

So simple. Yelling at a fan is definitely equal to slapping another player in the private parts.

It's not hard to understand what most of us want: consistency.

I wouldn't want a cop to come tell me on Monday "J-Walking is a 45 dollar offense!" Then on Thursday tell me "J-Walking is an offense punishable by time in prison!"

Who is going to force consistency so that the fans of all teams can agree all of the time that punishments handed out are fair?

I don't think you could ever get all OKC fans and all Laker fans to agree on whether MWP's elbow to Harden was fairly reprimanded.
JGC

Postby karacha on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:15 pm

JGC wrote:Who is going to force consistency so that the fans of all teams can agree all of the time that punishments handed out are fair?

That's not the point of consistency. Simply agree on the criteria and apply it consistently, that's all. So people know what they can expect -- teams, players and fans alike. They don't have to like it at all. No suspension? Fine. Then next time someone punches or kicks another player under the belt -- no suspension. Just a foul, maybe flagrant 1, right?

But if it's one game and a fine -- then that's what it is. It can't be both, applied randomly and differently each time.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:50 pm

karacha wrote:
JGC wrote:Who is going to force consistency so that the fans of all teams can agree all of the time that punishments handed out are fair?

That's not the point of consistency. Simply agree on the criteria and apply it consistently, that's all. So people know what they can expect -- teams, players and fans alike. They don't have to like it at all. No suspension? Fine. Then next time someone punches or kicks another player under the belt -- no suspension. Just a foul, maybe flagrant 1, right?

But if it's one game and a fine -- then that's what it is. It can't be both, applied randomly and differently each time.

Ok in that case they are being consistent so what is the problem then? Intentional contact to the testicles is typically a monetary fine plus a flagrant 2. In fact, I believe the last time this happened was Reggie Evans and it was like 10 years ago with Reggie Evans. He got a 10K fine and foul upgraded to flagrant 2 for ball grabbing. A suspension for Ibaka would have been precisely what you dont want: inconsistent

I should add that I thought Evans should have been suspended for his ball grab. LOL.

Bottom line, is it really a foul when you got all ball?
JGC

Postby karacha on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:02 pm

No. Read Bron's twitter above. His teammate got 1 game and a monetary fine of $150k. What did Ibaka get?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:07 pm

karacha wrote:No. Read Bron's twitter above. His teammate got 1 game and a monetary fine of $150k. What did Ibaka get?

That was a kick. That's different than a punch. So that was my point from earlier that no two incidents are alike and no two players are alike either which is why applying consistency in a way that makes sense for everyone is impossible.

I thought we all thought Wade was a dirty player?
JGC

Postby karacha on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:17 pm

Alright, a kick in the balls is different then a punch in the balls. True. Also, it probably depends whose balls are in question, because they are all different too.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:28 pm

presedence is set by the fact that it is automatically a 1 game suspension if you throw a punch/kick at another player. It doesn't matter if it connects or not. Ibaka may have "swiped" down on Blake but the fact is he attacked him and it should of been a minimum of 1 game. History is only in effect with the "extras" that come into play. MWP will get more time because of his history and reputation. However, he shouldn't get it when someone intentionally tries to goat him.

Stu Jackson has not been consistent with punishment ever. That is something the players union should have attacked but has never done. This is another travesty for the NBA in my opinion.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby JGC on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:37 pm

karacha wrote:Alright, a kick in the balls is different then a punch in the balls. True. Also, it probably depends whose balls are in question, because they are all different too.

Well, apparently Sessions balls are more valuable than Griffin's balls. Haha.

Consistency is an impossible thing to attain though. It's completely subjective. From what baseline should they establish a point of consistency? From the Wade incident? The Evans incident?

Was Ibaka's worse than Wade's? Ibaka's seemed more intentional but a kick to the groin has a higher potential for injury (one of the criteria in assessing a punishment).

I'm not saying they are always consistent, I'm just saying consistency is really an impossible thing to achieve because it is entirely subjective.
JGC

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:45 pm

again you are arguing for the sake of arguing. It isn't hard to be consistant. The league set its own presedence by suspending guys for hitting a player, for the "unnatural basketball act", for dirty play. If cursing at a fan is 25k then assault on another player has to be worth more. These league office gets paid a lot of money to be consistent. It shouldn't be too much to expect that as fans.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:48 pm

It doesn't have to be impossible if they set up a system, in fact it might even help stop this crap. Right now players don't even know if punishment is coming, or if it will be 25k or 125k. Make a system

Intentional ...

Punch/slap/kick to groin = $__
Punch/slap to body = $__
Punch/slap to face = $__
Kick to body = $__
Kick to face = $__
Elbow to body = $__
Elbow to face = $__

And so forth for all possibilities, like excessive fouls to defenseless players in the air, throwning a ball at somebody's head, lol I don't know. You can also make standard suspensisonYou make the price of fines very high, players that don't make a lot stop doing it, make the price reasonable, well at least it's consistent across the board, players and teams know what to expect and nobody has cause for complaint. You can also make standard suspension times for the offenses that deserve it, like hits and kicks to the groin IMO should always get you one game at least, and you can have it go up like it does now for repea offenders.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:50 pm

It should be much simpler.. The guy punched another guy in the nuts. Suspension, 1 game minimum. In this case it was actually obvious it was intentional.
In cases where intention was harder to determine, you confer with each other and decide, taking into account previous decisions in similar cases but not making that the sole determining factor.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby JGC on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:07 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:again you are arguing for the sake of arguing. It isn't hard to be consistant. The league set its own presedence by suspending guys for hitting a player, for the "unnatural basketball act", for dirty play. If cursing at a fan is 25k then assault on another player has to be worth more. These league office gets paid a lot of money to be consistent. It shouldn't be too much to expect that as fans.

As long as cursing at a fan is always 25K, then you'd be getting your consistency though.

If they were strictly consistent like Weezy pointed out, it would drive people nuts IMO. For instance, if Player A stuck his foot out and hit Player B in the shin, then he'd have to get the same fine and punishment as Wade did to Sessions. Not fair IMO.

There are so many circumstances to look at. What happened during the play, the player's history, the potential for injury, intent, intent to harm, any events leading up to the incident, provocation, player salary, I could go on forever. Then you have to factor in things like how 'excessive' it was which no one will ever able to agree on especially fans of teams.

We couldn't even agree on this board that MWP should have been suspended for multiple games.
JGC

Postby Finwë on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:19 pm

I expect a team like OKC to be more explosive and athletic than us, even to shoot better, but I never thought we'd be the dumb team on the floor.. We're the ones who are supposed to have "veteran experience" and play smart, yet we keep making rookie-level mistakes, on both ends of the floor.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Weezy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:27 pm

That's the point of the system I outlined though, to be harsh and deter all incidents. One punishment for all the same acts committed, you don't want the harsh punishment, you don't like the harsh punishment, don't freaking punch, slap or kick anyone.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:19 pm

It was nice being at .500 for two days
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion