WMC 12/13: Mercy kill. (0-4)

Re: WMC 12/13: Well we can show heart (15-20)

Postby JGC on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:01 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
trodgers wrote:I know "showing heart" doesn't sound like much, but when you have probably four future HoFers on your team and you're sucking, it's not lack of talent that's the culprit. So I'm pretty upbeat after this game.

This.

I don't understand all the hate from everyone. I remember nearly the entire board yelling these were going to be blowout losses. This team is showing it has some heart and I too like that.

Some members on this very page were calling it over mid-way through the 3rd! Hmm... I guess in a way they were right though. But we had a chance. Against a good team. With contributions from other players.
JGC

Postby The Rock on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Ron's last layup attempt ugh wish he passed it off. Nash played terrific defense in the 4th why couldn't he do it the other 3 Qs?

Pau has got to go, we have MWP/Hill/Clark now who can do what he does he becomes expendable now, just get a couple of PG/SG and SG/SF types who can shoot and defend. We good. I still have some faith in this team.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby JGC on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:05 pm

The Rock wrote:Ron's last layup attempt ugh wish he passed it off. Nash played terrific defense in the 4th why couldn't he do it the other 3 Qs?

Pau has got to go, we have MWP/Hill/Clark now who can do what he does he becomes expendable now, just get a couple of PG/SG and SG/SF types who can shoot and defend. We good. I still have some faith in this team.

OMG yeah. We had like a 3 on 1 and we blew it. Not sure if it even drew iron. LOL. He should have passed it. MWP Hero Ball is not a good thing either! He went a little nuts there at the end.
JGC

Postby dj vitus on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:14 pm

JGC wrote:
The Rock wrote:Ron's last layup attempt ugh wish he passed it off. Nash played terrific defense in the 4th why couldn't he do it the other 3 Qs?

OMG yeah. We had like a 3 on 1 and we blew it. Not sure if it even drew iron. LOL. He should have passed it. MWP Hero Ball is not a good thing either! He went a little nuts there at the end.

Didn't he do the exact same thing just a week ago? Against 76ers, I think. :bang:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:16 pm

Same story for 2-plus seasons - poor execution on offense down the stretch and failure of Kobe to close or win a game. Soooooooo predictable. Kobe will take a contested jumper. Yet he hasn't hit a buzzer beater in years and has missed more than 20 shots these past two seasons to win games in the final seconds.

We don't move the ball or put pressure on teams in these situations.

Ron is a bonehead and tried his own hero ball and blew it.

This is beyond frustrating. And guys blowing opportunities by being stupid (Ron) makes it worse.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby dj vitus on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Kit wrote:I feel so bad for Nash.

Yeah, it must be embarrassing to come here for a ring (well, to be closer to his family, too), and then play .400 ball mid-way through the season. Dwight, Jamison, Meeks, this list goes on...

How can any Laker show their face in public and not get haggled about all this losing?
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Legendary on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:23 pm

MWP just said the 2nd unit always beats the starters in practice. :freak2:
Legendary

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:23 pm

Why does Kobe have to take the last second game tying or game winning shot 99 percent of the time???

Phil, Brown, MDA -- all the same. They cave to him so that he can try to be the here and add to his legacy. Sure, some shots are great looks and probably our best chance. But why can't we ever run a few plays off screens to end games and try to get lay ups or an open 3 to Nash, Meeks, jamison, etc. and decoy Kobe?

Why is it 99 percent of the time ISO and predictable?? Bynum asked the same question last year.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby JGC on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:29 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:Why does Kobe have to take the last second game tying or game winning shot 99 percent of the time???

Phil, Brown, MDA -- all the same. They cave to him so that he can try to be the here and add to his legacy. Sure, some shots are great looks and probably our best chance. But why can't we ever run a few plays off screens to end games and try to get lay ups or an open 3 to Nash, Meeks, jamison, etc. and decoy Kobe?

Why is it 99 percent of the time ISO and predictable?? Bynum asked the same question last year.

To be fair, Kobe has been the best closer in the game for the better part of a decade now. Hasn't been very clutch at all the past couple seasons though IMO (sorry, being old, tired, injured, are not excuses for not being clutch in my book).

I have no issues with him taking the shot every time but to your point, how about a shot off some kind of play?

We used to decoy Kobe all the time even in his prime. It makes no sense to never decoy him when he is least effective.
JGC

Postby abeer3 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:32 pm

i'll echo last night's sentiments: i expected them to lose. much better effort tonight, especially in the closing minutes. wish they could bottle that urgency. maybe they should hire sjax to trashtalk kobe prior to each game?

as for kobe taking the shots, he gave it up to nash a couple times late and nash didn't seem to want to make the play. not sure what that was about.
abeer3

Postby sina on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Good effort! With much appreciation n respect.
sina

Postby borri on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Boy, we might have won had it not been for Ron's moment of ballhog late late in the 4th. Pass the damn ball on the break Ron.

2 pts woulda cut the lead down to 1... :man6:
borri

Postby Nikez on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:41 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote: They cave to him so that he can try to be the here and add to his legacy.

I'm sure that's exactly what is going through kobe's head in the final minutes of close games.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:43 pm

kobe should and will always be option 1, 2 and 3 for a game tying or winning shot
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby l8kerboi23 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:45 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:kobe should and will always be option 1, 2 and 3 for a game tying or winning shot

nice joke man, he hasn't made a big end of game shot in two years despite taking all of them :bang:
l8kerboi23

Postby JGC on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:46 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:kobe should and will always be option 1, 2 and 3 for a game tying or winning shot

Yeah but not if option 1 means Kobe taking a fall away 2 with a foot on the 3pt line over 2 defenders.

He should be the first option but if he doesn't get a good look or a double comes, then it should go to someone else.
JGC

Postby Vlade_12 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Rest of the month prediction Expect Gasol and Howard back some time next week and Hill back in 2weeks

@OKC L
CLE W
Mil W
Miami L
Tor W
Bulls W upset
Mem L
Jazz W
OKC W upset build Momentum
NO W
Pho W
8-3
23-23 at the end of the month
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Playoff rotation! Bring Casspi or Ariza back home for a Title Run Mitch!!!
Vlade_12

Postby borri on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:51 pm

JGC wrote:

Yeah but not if option 1 means Kobe taking a fall away 2 with a foot on the 3pt line over 2 defenders.

He should be the first option but if he doesn't get a good look or a double comes, then it should go to someone else.

Well given the scenario, it was our best chance....to give it to Kobe. SAS knew we needed a 3, so no drive and kick option, they defended for the 3. So a pass wasn't an option.

We needed someone who can get his own shot with defenders in his face. Who we gonna give to? Ron?...cant dribble... Nash?...too short. Screen for a shot? Maybe, blame that on Antoni.
borri

Postby JGC on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:56 pm

borri wrote:
JGC wrote:

Well given the scenario, it was our best chance....to give it to Kobe. SAS knew we needed a 3, so no drive and kick option, they defended for the 3. So a pass wasn't an option.

We needed someone who can get his own shot with defenders in his face. Who we gonna give to? Ron?...cant dribble... Nash?...too short. Screen for a shot? Maybe, blame that on Antoni.

Hmmm on which possession? The last one, sure, he had to take it and he was defended 1 on 1 so I won't criticize the last 3 at all.

But what about the play prior? When we were down 3 with a 2-for-1 in the bag? We didn't need a 3 there and that shot was almost an airball.
JGC

Postby borri on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:57 pm

^^^^

Weren't we talking the last shot of the game? Which I assume what Cachooka was referring to.
borri

Postby Jellincon on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 pm

Defense
Jellincon

Postby JGC on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:05 pm

borri wrote:^^^^

Weren't we talking the last shot of the game? Which I assume what Cachooka was referring to.

Oh, maybe. I am thinking more with the game winding down if you have a full shot clock to put the ball in the basket.

Obviously, if we have a few seconds to get a shot off you just give it to Kobe and hope for the best. But in those instances, there isn't an option 2 or option 3 like he was suggesting so that wouldn't really apply to that particular play.

If you have enough time in a game tying or winning shot situation to have multiple options, well, then they are there for a reason is all I'm saying. So Kobe should be #1, but if it isn't there, then he should go to #2.
JGC

Postby JGC on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:05 pm

I should add one more WMC. The 3 damn technical fouls we picked up. Ya ya ya, if we didn't get them the game may have had a different outcome, but still. We lost by 3. And gave them 3 freebies on the line!
JGC

Postby Nikez on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:06 pm

JGC wrote:

They did a good job of locking down the perimeter. Somebody was gonna have to take a bad 3 pointer and I'd rather it be Kobe.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby Nikez on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:07 pm

JGC wrote:I should add one more WMC. The 3 damn technical fouls we picked up. Ya ya ya, if we didn't get them the game may have had a different outcome, but still. We lost by 3. And gave them 3 freebies on the line!

Well they did miss one of those T's :man1:

Nikez

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion