WMC 12/13: Mercy kill. (0-4)

Re: WMC 12/13: Kobe didn't pass enough? (36-33)

Postby Finwë on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:53 pm

To quote Tony Soprano: "frankly I'm depressed and ashamed".
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Re: WMC 12/13: Kobe didn't pass enough? (36-33)

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:58 pm

That was painful to watch. :bang:
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Re: WMC 12/13: Didn't see the game. We lost. (36-34)

Postby Shadow on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:06 pm

:man10: :man10: @ the thread title.. :man10:
Shadow

Re: Re:

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:18 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:I love how they felt they had Dwight to go to late in the game even after Ariza is going crazy from outside and Wall is balling.

Yet we ignore our real version who has only missed once in the entire freaking game and instead rely on the guy that rushed back from a pretty bad looking injury.

Awesome!

All but 1 of Howard's makes were off of motion and chaos created in the middle by Kobe and Nash..... in the second half WA took that away by rotating the PF under the rim before Kobe got below the free throw line. They adjusted their defense to take that away.

It wasn't as if Dwight was dominating one on one in the post all night on traditional post touches.....

Roos...you do realize this is the Washington Gene...Wizards, right? This isn't some defensive juggernaut of a team.

Kobe with a bad ankle and Nash are both on the perimeter and there is zero excuse not to create for your big guy in the middle...none!

Actually the Wizards are exactly that, a defensive juggernaut. Don't assume they're bad at everything just because they don't have a good record.

:man10: They give up 100 points a game. With D'Antoni's offensive genius, we should have easily overshot that number.

A defensive juggernaut, they are not. Cause if they are, then what exactly are we, when we're giving up 103?

Actually they give up 95.2 PPG and 102.3 pts per 100 possessions which would put them at the 5th best defensive team in the league
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby 432J on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:49 pm

nothing good can come out of this season, that is all

they start looking like they'll finally get it together and then they blow it, it's happened all season long. i knew having pau back would make no difference
432J

Postby Lakeshow24 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:03 am

Pathetic. I counted 7 trips down the court with Kobe chucking... mostly bricks a couple makes at the charity stripe and a bucket or two. Mostly bricks though. No better plan than that? 7 straight Kobe iso's? :bang:
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby RushDelivery on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:05 am

Lakeshow24 wrote:Pathetic. I counted 7 trips down the court with Kobe chucking... mostly bricks a couple makes at the charity stripe and a bucket or two. Mostly bricks though. No better plan than that? 7 straight Kobe iso's? :bang:

MDA can't control Kobe, so when he goes into his shoot-first mode there's really no stopping him. The lack of any organized offensive plays at the end of the game was very difficult to watch, especially as Washington was scoring at will with wide open threes and easy layups.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:13 am

Flea ‏@flea333 18m

I wonder if there will ever come a time in my life when my emotional well being is not dictated by the ups and down of the @lakers

Sums up my life, too. :bang: But I'm nearing acceptance this season.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:31 am

Not only did we lose back to back games for the first time since JANUARY 23rd, both of the losses came against lottery teams
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:41 am

Nash is a big dissapointment ... you would think he will take responsability in the 4th and make some plays ... instead of getting out of Kobe way
wcsoldier81

Postby hollywood swinger on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:31 am

the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby borri on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:54 am

First time all year I wasn't angry. All i did was laugh my arse off the entire second half.

Kobe played like a complete buffoon in the 4th. I swear, Kobe did a spot on impersonation of Hibachi.
borri

Postby denimPortugal on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:20 am

Ahahahah! This is so ridiculous! Watching the highlights, I couldn't believe in that 2nd half! :man10: :man10: :bang:
Patethic, patethic. I only want the season ends! Enough is enough!
denimPortugal

Postby snackdaddy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:01 am

Another home loss to a bottom feeder. Have we ever seen this many home losses to bottom feeders before when we didn't have superstars? Unreal.

This game shows they really have not turned the corner we thought they did. Fool's gold. Oh, they'll probably make the playoffs by default. No one else wants it enough. But the first round is going to be ugly. At least from the Lakers point of view. SA or OKC on the other hand, will love it.
snackdaddy

Postby Forward Three on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:11 pm

The Lakers were never going to 'turn a corner', the best we could hope for was a slow and gradual amelioration of their issues and/or replacing the worst of the bad issues with different issues that were more manageable. This whole season has been like this, we keep thinking the team 'should', by dint of its theoretical talent, be playing in top 5 of the league territory at any given moment. But other than a handful of unusually potent shooting nights, this team has never even come close to looking elite all season long.

There are plenty of reasons of course, many of them are perfectly valid. Coaching changes, new roster additions, injuries, age...etc. But the biggest issues have always been chemistry, unity and having an 'identity', all of which are choices and commitments and we just haven't seen that effort all season long. Maybe it's the mixture of old and young players. Maybe the old guys don't respect the young guys enough or the young guys respect the old guys too much. Generational gaps and all, maybe for as good of a 'floor general' we know Kobe to be, his presence in the locker room is as enigmatic and aloof as he has been publicly his whole career. Maybe the coaching staff is too big and players are getting too much input from too many sources.

Whatever it is though, the chemistry has sucked all season long and it hasn't gotten any better. There's no 'turning a corner' with a team like that, they either want to play together and want to be associates, want to collectively improve and hone in on what needs to be done, and put in the work to do that or they don't, and instead just talk about it a bunch until everyone feels awkward.
Forward Three

Postby SpencerHarrison on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:28 pm

A couple things:

*The team played really well to start things off, and having Gasol back to contest shots, rebound and shoot at the elbow looked smooth. His stats looked uglier than they really were. Tip ins missed, etc. LA is a better team when he's in the rotation.

*Second half close out defense was horrid. The Wizards just pushed the pace and LA didn't want to respond. Lakers seemed one step behind. Wall drives and scores? Ok pack the paint. Wall kicks to one of multiple OPEN shooters, ok fine stay home. Then Wall drives and scores, etc. There was a lack of focus and intensity, especially from Kobe. He looked to be playing the D he was at the start of the year.

*Wizards got really, really hot from 3. Even wide open looks will miss, but Washington drained them over and over. As D'Antoni said, the basketball gods were not pleased. There was no excuse to let Ariza have that many looks.

*A couple sequences down the stretch cost us. MWP's charge especially.

Watching the game, it wasn't as if the Lakers were just straight up horrible and got run out of their own building. They looked really good for stretches, and the Howard/Bryant PnR looked good. It is what it is. Move on.
SpencerHarrison

Postby kenzo on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:34 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
Flea ‏@flea333 18m

I wonder if there will ever come a time in my life when my emotional well being is not dictated by the ups and down of the @lakers

Same here :man6:
kenzo

Postby denimPortugal on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:40 pm

kenzo wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
Flea ‏@flea333 18m

Same here :man6:

I'm so depressed...damn! What a disgrace, this season! :bang: :disagree:
denimPortugal

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Nash - Fractured fibula
Kobe - Sprained ankle
Dwight - Torn labrum, back surgery
Pau - Concussion, elbow, torn plantar fascia, tendonitis
Hill - Herniated disk, microfracture surgery on hip
Blake - Punctured foot, abdominal strain
MWP - undisclosed leg/hip injury for 2 months
Clark - Foot problem
Jamison - Partial tear in wrist

2 coaches
Owner passes away

I mean WTF, everything that could go wrong this season.....Has.
Last edited by Doc Brown on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:14 pm

^^ Let's not forget Blake's abdominal strain that kept him out for what 8 weeks? Plus Pau's tendinitis in both knees for the first couple months of the season.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:20 pm

Thanks LJ. I updated that post with the added misery.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:22 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Thanks LJ. I updated that post with the added misery.

:man10: :man6: Such a drag!! We have been completely snake bitten this season.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Maluco Beleza on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:21 pm

some fans here saying that Miami Heat have it easy beating up worthless East teams
yet the lakers can't even beat those worthless teams lol.
Maluco Beleza

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:15 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
Actually they give up 95.2 PPG and 102.3 pts per 100 possessions which would put them at the 5th best defensive team in the league

Thanks for bringing that to my attention...

I'm sure the reason they have such a poor record after holding their opponents to that total per game is due to the tempo they play (which is why they don't score as much per game). With Wall out for the majority of the year, they played through Nene/Okafor and slowed the tempo down going inside out.

That being said, I was trying to establish that no matter what defensive scheme is being thrown at us, if your big is converting at a high clip and isn't in foul trouble, you need to establish him and/or run plays for him. I mean, we have an offensive genius as our coach and with Kobe hobbled, you would think that Nash would handle the ball more and get Dwight the ball. Even if Dwight was not converting at a high clip, you still want establish a dynamic that we can use going forward.

Also, in looking at these defensive numbers, I noticed that you got older teams like the Spurs and younger teams like OKC/Heat that are defensively solid. You got teams like the Griz and the Pacers that are also very good. You can't help but think that even though we're older, you have Kobe who is very capable of D'ing up if he's motivated to (just ask Bron @ ASW)...you have Dwight who at 80% is still pretty elite on defense and you have MWP...and we're still laughable on the defensive end. I'm confident that with another guy at the helm, our team would be above average, if not one of the top defensive teams in the league.

Bottomline: The coach can talk a big game, but in reality, we aren't scoring 110 per game to counter his absolute ineptitude on the defensive end. With this roster (even with Nash and Jamison) this team should be better defensively. Even with Phil (an offensive coach) we played good defense. At the very least, if you notice poor defensive effort, then make the adjustment instead of complaining about it in the post game presser. After all, it is your job!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby snackdaddy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:20 pm

I imagine next season we'll see a better Lakers team with more time to play together in MDA's system. But quite honestly, when I say better I think of a team that will win maybe 50 games and end up in the middle of the pack. Not near the top with championship aspirations.

I don't see this team competing for a title as is. There is a high probability of at least two of the four all stars missing significant time due to injury and at least a couple other key role players missing significant time due to injury.

Then we'll be hearing the same excuses we heard this season. Face it, they're older and older players get hurt more.
snackdaddy

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion