WMC 12/13: Mercy kill. (0-4)

Re: WMC 12/13: Didn't see the game. We lost. (36-34)

Postby Nikez on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:20 am

I think they give rings to anybody who was with us for even the smallest period of time.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby Nikez on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:23 am

While this was about as awful a loss as we can have, if you look at our season as a whole, were having less and less of these horrible unexpected losses. When the season started we used to have a few every month, they have reduced the rate of these horrible losses which makes me believe this was a fluke. I mean at least we played how we were supposed to in the first half. Hopefully this serves as a good lesson going into the post season.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby Juronimo on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:39 am

Rooscooter wrote:
Juronimo wrote:My answer:
We're just not that good. Despite the big names, we're a bad team.

I've been saying this since last summer to some degree. The "games" that made the names "Names" are a thing of the past as well.

Fans associating the 2006 version of these guys with the current version is the source of most of the confusion of why we're not winning 70 games and "dominating" IMO. Only Howard is near the top of his total game and he's only been there 10% of the season. Pau is a shell of his 2008 self as is Nash. Kobe is still Kobe but even the most die-hard Laker fan has to admit that he's not close to his 2008 self either.

When you add it up we have a slow team of former "Alphas" that are finding it difficult to change their stripes. They have been supported by a bench that has no scorer and is extremely inconsistent as well.

Not dumping Pau in the offseason for a top flight SF and/or a scoring guard off the bench has been the biggest mistake we've made on a personnel front. He hasn't fit from day one and has declined to the point where our return will not be good....

I think the FO would have traded Pau if they could, I just don't think any team wanted to pay $38 million for the corpse of Pau. I can't say I blame them.

You're right, all of our players are years past their prime. Kobe and Nash are 6 years past their primes. Pau is 3 years past his prime and a shell of himself. Ron is 4 years past his prime, he can still D but his offense is miss and hit, and Dwight is recovering from back surgery. Our primary bench scorer is 6 years past his prime and the rest of the bench is horribly inconsistent. The bench that doesn't play are d leaguers.

We lack youth, or should I say youthful talent. Our vets are too old to play at a high level consistently, and are overpaid, making trades difficult. Older players are also more injury prone, which we've seen this season.

I think coming into this season, because of the names, we all thought we had a contending team, but we didn't accept the reality that these names are all old or injured. Combine that with our coaching issues and we have ourselves a bad team.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:34 am

People really want SA in the first round? :man3:

There's a really scary matchup most of you are forgetting....Pop vs. D'Antoni :scurred:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:42 am

Vasashi17 wrote:People really want SA in the first round? :man3:

There's a really scary matchup most of you are forgetting....Pop vs. D'Antoni :scurred:

Yeah, that's going to be a disaster. But I'm not forgetting about these matchups either:

Russel Westbrrook vs Nash

Kevin Durant vs Metta

Serge Ibaka vs Pau

full court running team vs half court offensive/defensive team
Chillbongo

Postby themasterphil on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:42 am

well its better to have Spurs in 1st round then OKC.... play vs speed or to have MDA vs Pop.....I choose MDA vs Pop
themasterphil

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:50 am

Crazy thing is that SA plays pretty fast these days. Top 5 in scoring points per game and ain't too shabby on the defensive end either.

You got killers from the outside and the inside (the Vino comes in a 2 pack). 3 weeks without Parker and SA is only 3 games back in the loss column from a Miami team that has capped off 26 straight.

Yep, their coaching and in game adjustments scare me. SA shouldn't be taken lightly.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:33 pm

The Spurs are no easy out & anyone who thinks they will be is a homer or not paying attention. Parker has been a top 3 player consistently this season & they have looked like the only team capable of beating Miami in a series. I don't think Pop vs. D'antoni is as big of a mismatch as people make it out to be though. Nash & D'antoni had playoff wars against the Spurs with less talented teams.

Parker/Duncan/Ginobli will have to carry more of the load in the playoffs. It'll be old core vs. old core. They have good young role players but rotations shorten in the playoffs & stars have to make more plays. I like our chances more against those 3 than I do against Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka. No easy win to be sure though.
lakersin4

Postby khmrP on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:37 pm

doesn't matter who we matchup against, we're always gona be at a disadvantage.
khmrP

Postby borri on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:15 pm

Of course not. I'll take Mem or the Clips. But that's not realistic. We'll be the 8th seed.

SAS or OKC. I'll take SAS for $200 Alex.
borri

Postby Finwë on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:39 pm

First half of this game by the Lakers: worst stretch of basketball I've seen all season, by ANY team, all things considered.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:24 pm

this is the first game this season that i shut off for real. others i'd at least leave on in the background. not this time.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Finwë on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:25 pm

Our offense sucked tonight but I don't expect it to be this poor in future games
Our D remains the key problem. Past 3 games it's been nothing short of absolutely atrocious.
We've had consistent issues on that end all season long: can't fight through screens, don't run back, slow on rotations, dumb fouls.. However, there are particular games we seem able to turn it up a bit and hide our flaws, but there have been several instances were we absolutely suck too.
There seems to be no tactical analysis and system adjustment from our coaching staff, and the key variables determining our success seem to be effort and chemistry.
I thought we were doing better in terms of chemistry and that our effort would be there considering our situation, but it hasn't really been that way.
Unless we find a way to get back to playing somewhat decent defense I just can't see us avoiding a sweep in the first round, and the threat of missing the playoffs will persist
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Finwë on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:27 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:this is the first game this season that i shut off for real. others i'd at least leave on in the background. not this time.

What's astonishing is that this is right after one of the most embarrasing losses in the season. I can't believe after dropping a 18 point lead against the worst road team in the L AT HOME, this is how they come out in the following game.
Finwë

Postby dj vitus on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:35 pm

I hope Phoenix drafts a nice young stud this Summer. They deserve it.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Finwë on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:47 pm

We complain about all the things that went wrong that we couldn't really control, particularly injuries. What is extremely annoying is that we've been very lethargic/complacent/unfocused in many games or stretches in games, and that is something we can and should control, our level of effort/focus/intensity.
It should only be fueled by the way things have gone, not drowned.
We've show little true determination, little growth in focus and preparation. Disappointing to say the least.
Finwë

Postby thisbjgz on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:55 pm

We are one of those pathetic live by the 3, die by the 3 teams.
Pau Gasol is pathetic.
Dwight Howard's defense is pathetic.
Kobe Bryant's defense as well as his decisions to argue a call when Lakers are on defense is pathetic.
MDA coaching system is pathetic.
Did it mention Pau Gasol is terrible.

Lakers are just pathetic, when do they learn? Nvm, they won't this team doesn't even deserve it to make it to the playoffs, I rather a much entertaining team like Portland makes it.
thisbjgz

Postby dj vitus on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:59 pm

Nikez wrote:I think they give rings to anybody who was with us for even the smallest period of time.

This is true. The owner gives it to whoever he wants.

Elgin Baylor has a ring even though he got injured and retired 9 games into the one year we won with Chamberlain.

I know for sure he has it because he's auctioning it off this year for whatever reason. :man4:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Weezy on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:01 pm

We just sucked as a whole team tonight, no real standouts at all, just suckiness all around.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:02 pm

When you're playing a young fast team why wouldnt' you play Clark more? Especially with Ron out in the 2nd half...every game he starts Pau hes gonna get the brunt of the loss, keep going with the rotations that were already working and bring Pau off the bench.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby noobiew on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:03 pm

Pau Gasol sucks ! Metta sucks, MDA sucks, our scrub bench sucks ! :bang:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Amazing how optimistic things looked last week after the Kings win. Hell even after the Suns loss I wasn't worried

The Wizards game though, effectively destroyed my confidence in this team. Had a bad feeling the entire weekend that they were about to go on a horrible stretch.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:04 pm

+17 in the 2nd half without our two worthless offensive players (Pau/MWP).
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 pm

I can't wait for some intelligent poster to claim that this was not Coach Pringles' fault
Chillbongo

Postby khmrP on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:06 pm

do these guys even practice on D? :bang:
khmrP

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion