WMC 13/14: CL went down yet Coach D remains! ugh

Re: WMC 13/14: Give me HEART! W again (21-39)

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:36 am

Chillbongo wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Weezy wrote:The only reason I'm personally not thrilled with this win is that I want 'Antoni gone the day the season ends. I don't want is getting wins against good teams and finishing the year strong and our FO going "well see the team got relatively healthy and 'Antoni got them playing well, he deserves another season". I don't want there to be a shred of hope that anything 'Antoni is doing can be something to build on, I want his a** fired and nowhere to be seen next season.

That said it's still nice to see our players that into a game. Throwing down a bunch of awesome dunks for a change, all excited on the bench, having something to celebrate.

I was worried about this too.

The only way he gets fired IMO is if he legitimately looses the locker room. Otherwise you have to look at the message being sent to potential coaches. We've fired everyone not named Phil Jackson for the last 15 years. That's a HUGE RED FLAG for a potential coach of this team.

MDA needs to be gone but the FO needs an objective reason (i.e. losing the locker room)to fire him. Not that his "style" doesn't work, or that fans don't like him. If you were a coach without a job and you saw that the Lakers fired EVERY SINGLE PERSON not named Phil over the last 15 years, wouldn't you be worried?

MDA is not going to be fired in the off-season whether we like it or not unless what you said happens. I agree. WIth Mitch alreayd saying MDA has done a great job and with 1 more year left on his contract I can't see anyway that Mitch fires D'Antoni.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby trodgers on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:52 am

Objectively, no - I don't think so.
Best player out almost all year. "Starting" PG out nearly the entire season.
One of the heaviest hit teams in terms of injuries.

Couple that with the cheap roster we fielded for so many games this year, the young players we've developed, the prospects of a good draft pick (doesn't need to be top 3 to be good), and the firming up of the MDA "system" here - I just don't see it as a good reason to fire him.

Would you want to coach a team that was hit like LA was and then fired their coach? A cash-strapped team? One progressively molded into MDA's image? I wouldn't.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby charvin on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:08 pm

therealdeal wrote:That reason could be that he coached the Laker team with the worst record in franchise history. They're right now 21-39.

The worst season the Lakers have had in LA came in 74-75 when they won only 30 games. In 93-94 they won only 33 games. In 04-05 they won only 34 games.

Right now they're on pace for 28 wins. That'd be the worst season the Lakers have had since coming to Los Angeles. Is that enough to fire a coach?

If the FO are hellbent on not paying another coach or do not get anyone notable from FA, they have some incentive to keep him and just let this sunk cost play out.
charvin

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:13 pm

I'm with you guys, just trying to present a reasoning for firing him is all.

I think you're all correct: the only way it happens is if it comes from Kobe and whoever we decide to bring in this summer. That's the only way I see it happening.

Another way I see it happening is if they convince Phil to take a year of coaching. It's the only way. Replace him with a surefire guy, and Phil is the only one available with that kind of reputation. That's even more unlikely though than anything else I think.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:37 pm

MDA as our coach for next season is guaranteed imo ... He might be the mid-term FO plan too ... FO having no intention to keep Hill might be a sign in this direction .. it is a small one and a stretch but I wouldn't be surprised ...
wcsoldier81

Postby gcclaker on Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:49 pm

Saw the score on the ESPN ticker last night at the gym, blinked, got home and laughed my behind off. Saw the Meeks slam. It was on their Top 10 Plays of the day.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:10 pm

My WMC: after the MDA vs Pau confrontation, MDA looks at these last 2 wins as confirmation that small ball will prevail.

Either way, good teams will have to face these type of trap games when the lowly Lakers come in to town. The Blazers fell behind from the jump which is a clear indicator that they didn't approach this game without enough zeal to seal the deal. They turned it on too late and just fell short with their comeback.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:29 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:My WMC: after the MDA vs Pau confrontation, MDA looks at these last 2 wins as confirmation that small ball will prevail.

Either way, good teams will have to face these type of trap games when the lowly Lakers come in to town. The Blazers fell behind from the jump which is a clear indicator that they didn't approach this game without enough zeal to seal the deal. They turned it on too late and just fell short with their comeback.

The Blazers definitely overlooked this game. They thought they could bring back Aldridge on an easy night, get him a win and a feel for the game again. Instead the Lakers came out guns blazing.

That's not going to work very often moving forward though. The good teams will remember this game and not take us too lightly.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:22 pm

Just reminded myself why I'm not watching too many games this year. Happened to catch last night's 2nd half and spent the last several minutes of the game shouting at the TV, mostly at the defense. That defense would give me a heart attack! But heck of a play by Wes Johnson on the Bazemore lob at the end.

That said, when an injury run takes the air out of a team, guys get chances who would otherwise never get a chance and once in awhile, they'll actually step up and make a decent case for themselves. That Marshall kid, for instance is definitely worth retaining though his shooting has been atrocious lately. Ryan Kelly didn't do badly either. But decisions being made lead to questions that have to be asked about whether the injuries were one-off things or are some players more susceptible than others? Nash being an extreme case of that, but it does have to be asked about Farmar, Henry, etc.

Says here MDA will be retained. The injury run was extraordinary, not his fault. The team was actually competitive before they lost all their PG's in addition to Kobe.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Re: WMC 13/14: And we have 40 L's (21-40)

Postby Barnstable on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:55 pm

[Cricket sounds\]
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:06 am

WEll no one will be WMC'ing because it seems the majority of fans really don't want nor like us winning games.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby LakerFanIam on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:24 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:WEll no one will be WMC'ing because it seems the majority of fans really don't want nor like us winning games.

Not at this point... It's self defeating... Sorry, but it's true..
LakerFanIam

Postby Barnstable on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:29 am

LakerFanIam wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:WEll no one will be WMC'ing because it seems the majority of fans really don't want nor like us winning games.

Ugh :nono2: Good lord
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFanIam on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:33 am

Barnstable wrote:
LakerFanIam wrote:

Oh sorry.. I guess we could still get to .500....
No one is rooting for Laker failure, but It does this franchise no good to strive for mediocrity right now...
LakerFanIam

Postby Barnstable on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:42 am

LakerFanIam wrote:
Barnstable wrote:
LakerFanIam wrote:

Oh sorry.. I guess we could still get to .500....
No one is rooting for Laker failure, but It does this franchise no good to be mediocre right now...

Eh...

1. We're going to lose most of these games anyway
2. We aren't going to lose every game till the end of the season
3. Fan's joy at wins doesn't affect the chances of the team winning at all
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:04 am

Well... Pau is soft/weak. Can't even hold on to the damn rim :man9:
kenzo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:13 am

I like that this team shows fight. I wish they'd pulled out the win in the end, but at least they fought hard and came back to be in it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:57 am

^How many second chance points did the Hornets get in the 4th quarter?

You'd think a little burn for Hill would have gotten us 1-2 key defensive boards. If we got those boards we could have won the damn game. This is why I despise Pringles.
Chillbongo

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:12 am

My WMC: The hell is NY think it's doing losing 7 in a row? They don't own their pick, Denver does. GTFO of here and make the playoffs.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:18 am

lakerfan2 wrote:My WMC: The hell is NY think it's doing losing 7 in a row? They don't own their pick, Denver does. GTFO of here and make the playoffs.

Two picks that high for a team that's not too far from being alright. Maybe one of those picks could be for sale, the second one.

If we could get two NBA caliber players out of this draft, it'd be a win.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby raviator on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:28 am

What's up with the layup drills Lakers keep hosting? First order of business in off season, hire a damn defensive coach as an assistant. More than likely MDA is sticking around, but we need somebody to teach these guys defensive stances, principles, and discipline. I can understand loosing games because we're not a good team, but I can't stand watching opposing teams just waltz right into the paint for uncontested layups every single game. I've harped on this before but these guys do not know how to play defense together. Borrowing a line from Chick, the way these guys play defense, my grandmother can drive down the lane for a wide open layup, and she can barely walk.
raviator

Postby TIME on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:44 am

raviator wrote:What's up with the layup drills Lakers keep hosting? First order of business in off season, hire a damn defensive coach as an assistant. More than likely MDA is sticking around, but we need somebody to teach these guys defensive stances, principles, and discipline. I can understand loosing games because we're not a good team, but I can't stand watching opposing teams just waltz right into the paint for uncontested layups every single game. I've harped on this before but these guys do not know how to play defense together. Borrowing a line from Chick, the way these guys play defense, my grandmother can drive down the lane for a wide open layup, and she can barely walk.

That's why Rambis was hired. Here's the thing though; commitment to D really has to be established by the head coach. He obviously only cares about trying to outscore the other team, not stop them from scoring.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:58 am

my complaint from last nite: i have Tyreke on my squad...i wanted him to get me a triple double
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby LakerFanIam on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:02 pm

Barnstable wrote:
Eh...

However, the team winning or losing does affect a fan's sense of joy... & right now I get more joy from losses than wins... Sorry, just the way this season is for me.
We are not making the Playoffs, I have zero attachment to this Coach or any player not named Kobe or Pau, & I'd much rather have a top 5 draft pick over a top 10 draft pick...
LakerFanIam

Postby Barnstable on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:28 pm

LakerFanIam wrote:
Barnstable wrote:
Eh...

However, the team winning or losing does affect a fan's sense of joy... & right now I get more joy from losses than wins... Sorry, just the way this season is for me.
We are not making the Playoffs, I have zero attachment to this Coach or any player not named Kobe or Pau, & I'd much rather have a top 5 draft pick over a top 10 draft pick...

Your comment to puffy said winning is self defeating "sorry, but it's true". That's how you feel. It's not "just the truth." That's what I was commenting on.

You can feel anyway you want about this season, but some of us feel winning is not self defeating and it's okay to feel joy any time we win, and sad any time we lose.
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion