Kobe Thread: Bucher- Kobe = Father of Team USA Success p.819

Re: Kobe Discussion: Went Through Full Practice (593)

Postby khmrP on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:37 pm

horrific on D, if he was suppose to be on Ariza, I'm just taking a guess since it was hard to tell with Ariza usually being wide open and all......and how do you go hero mode after coming back from an ankle injury, everybody just stood around once he started shooting late in the 4th.
khmrP

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:39 pm

This game should have never came down to Kobe taking over in the 4th quarter. Never. However, it did, and unfortunately, Kobe couldn't pull it out like he did against the Raptors. He needs to get healthy. Not excusing his effort, but he is playing on a bad wheel. Should he have played is up for debate. All I know is he's the major reason we are even in the 8th seed; so I'll cut him some slack...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:40 pm

He's so stubborn, I DON'T think Kobe returned to try and prove being a hero I think he returned because he really wants to get out there and play, he was mad he injured his ankle and did everything to make sure it got better so he can get back out there and play to help his team.

But it's irritating because he doesn't need to go out there and try to be superhuman all the time, he needs to sit his BEHIND down sometimes and let it be.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:44 pm

Kobe deserves some blame...but this is Kobe...he's programmed a certain way and if you throw him out there, he's going to do Kobe.

He was obviously resting that ankle on defense and that explains the terrible rotations. So if the coach believes that our defense was the problem...and he sees a certain player having problems on that end, then why not pull him out in favor of one of his subs. Isn't that the responsibility of the coach. Kobe obviously will do whatever he can to lace em up...so its on you to monitor the guys minutes and know that him playing through injury is doing you more harm on the defensive end than good.

Don't b****to the media afterwards...take some responsibility and take out your star thanking him for what he could do on a sore ankle...but its time for him to take a seat till he can get right.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:49 pm

“@forumbluegold: Most of the night Kobe guarded either Garrett Temple or Trevor Ariza. Those two combined to shoot 9-15 from behind the arc.”
:bang:
Ariza3

Postby RushDelivery on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:16 am

Ariza3 wrote:
“@forumbluegold: Most of the night Kobe guarded either Garrett Temple or Trevor Ariza. Those two combined to shoot 9-15 from behind the arc.”
:bang:

Kobe's perimeter defense has been fairly poor for most of the season. He cheats too much on defense and gives the shooters far too much space, which gives them wide open threes for most of the game.

Ariza simply took advantage and made the Lakers pay dearly.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby v1n5anity on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:31 am

Kobe hero ball in the 4th is just awful. It's a huge reason we won't do anything in the playoffs (if we even make the playoffs). Kobe has no bball IQ in the last few minutes of the game anymore. He just wants to shoot and be the hero.

And his D has been a joke for years now.
v1n5anity

Postby Jordan-esque on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:31 am

Not a good night for Kobe both offensively and defensively.

@MarkMedina In final 5 mins, Lakers attempted 10 shots: 9 from Kobe (3 for 9), 1 from MWP (1/1).

@LakersReporter What Kobe isn't doing a ton of tonight is playing D, his man (Temple) hitting consecutive J's as Wiz cut the lead to 12 at 63-51.

@EricPincus Kobe was supposed to be guarding Ariza - I think Trevor made 6 of his 7 three's against Kobe - I'd have to check the tape at least 5.
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:50 am

Kobe played hero ball under every coach ...he won't change ... Nash shouldn't defer to Kobe like that ... unfortunately he doesn't have the balls to wave him off
wcsoldier81

Postby borri on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:01 am

borri

Postby Lord Johnny on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:29 am

NIGHT.MADE.
Lord Johnny
Clublakers Rep: Puerto Rico

Postby Weezy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:51 am

Kobe tweeting back to people about being too much of the offense and proving he's watching game film by posting a picture is just strange. We live in strange times lol.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:18 am

This is coach D'Antoni you're talking about here. The only player he'll stand up to and pull out is Gasol :man10:

No offense, but it's true. D'Antoni just doesn't seem like the coach who has the guts and would stand up to a player and say "Go sit down, you're benched!"

Vasashi17 wrote:Kobe deserves some blame...but this is Kobe...he's programmed a certain way and if you throw him out there, he's going to do Kobe.

He was obviously resting that ankle on defense and that explains the terrible rotations. So if the coach believes that our defense was the problem...and he sees a certain player having problems on that end, then why not pull him out in favor of one of his subs. Isn't that the responsibility of the coach. Kobe obviously will do whatever he can to lace em up...so its on you to monitor the guys minutes and know that him playing through injury is doing you more harm on the defensive end than good.

Don't b****to the media afterwards...take some responsibility and take out your star thanking him for what he could do on a sore ankle...but its time for him to take a seat till he can get right.
charvin

Postby gcclaker on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:37 am

In a post-game interview, I believe it was John Ireland who asked Bryant why Ariza had so many open threes. His response was guard penetration. So it's the two Steves' fault? Did not see the game...so is that accurate?
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:46 am

gcclaker wrote:In a post-game interview, I believe it was John Ireland who asked Bryant why Ariza had so many open threes. His response was guard penetration. So it's the two Steves' fault? Did not see the game...so is that accurate?

John Wall did a great job of penetrating and kicking hence the double digit assists. They also did a nice job of finding the open man with their perimeter passing. Problem is Kobe was nowhere defensively. I guess he was roaming or something because Temple and Ariza were WIDE open. That's not just guard penetration. It was some poor D on the perimeter as well.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:55 am

Lakerjones wrote:
gcclaker wrote:In a post-game interview, I believe it was John Ireland who asked Bryant why Ariza had so many open threes. His response was guard penetration. So it's the two Steves' fault? Did not see the game...so is that accurate?

John Wall did a great job of penetrating and kicking hence the double digit assists. They also did a nice job of finding the open man with their perimeter passing. Problem is Kobe was nowhere defensively. I guess he was roaming or something because Temple and Ariza were WIDE open. That's not just guard penetration. It was some poor D on the perimeter as well.

Well LJ, that wasn't surprising. I don't think 24 had the requisite mobility to chase shooters on defense due to that ankle. Bryant prefers to play free safety to begin with. With a gimpy ankle, the situation becomes problematic and magnified.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:59 am

gcclaker wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:

Well LJ, that wasn't surprising. I don't think 24 had the requisite mobility to chase shooters on defense due to that ankle. Bryant prefers to play free safety to begin with. With a gimpy ankle, the situation becomes problematic and magnified.

^^ Absolutely GCC. Totally true. So maybe they should have switched things up or maybe played less Kobe? I don't know what the solution was. He was part of the problem though for sure in that regard.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:04 am

^^ I will say though that Kobe ran a pretty efficient game on the offensive end until the dreaded fourth quarter ISOs (where he went 3-9). He had too many turnovers but that was a team problem as well. He had 11 assists and he was playing a GREAT two man game with Dwight. So he had some good things going that game. He could have even been the hero but his 8 footer to tie the game rimmed out. And he did make that crazy three pointer to bring it to 1 with 2.3 seconds.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:09 am

Lakerjones wrote:

That's been a problem all season with the exception when Bryant took on the responsibility to guard the opposing teams best defender earlier in the season. Other then that, Nash can't stay in front of guards, and other PG's have routinely broken down our defense which causes us to collapse leaving wide open shooters.

Kobe does ball-watch. And why is Kobe leaving Trevor when he is is shooting the lights our from the 3-point line? That I have no idea. Even when he was healthier earlier in the season, it caused a problem. Heck, it's been a problem in years past. Our defense suffers because we're old, can't rotate to shooters fast enough, aren't athletic enough to recover/contest shots, etc. It's going to be a problem the rest of the season.

Our best bet going forward is a great offense. We have to control the tempo, have more balance, and take good shots that don't lead to easy transition points. Also, stop turning the ball over. Kobe was bad defensively yesterday. He's the least of my worries, though. He'll get it right.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby v1n5anity on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:53 am

At $30 mill a year, Kobe just isn't worth the price. He gets his stats, but he just doesn't play good team basketball. LeBron is exposing how Kobe's bball IQ isn't as high as people think.

Kobe plays the set up guy for 2 quarters, the Wizards adjust, he continues to try to be Magic out there, turns it over a bunch of times, and then John Wall just mutilates them.

Then predictably in the 4th quarter, the Lakers completely get away from what was successful(using Howard in pick and roll, and if he didnt get deep catches off the roll, someone on the perimeter was open from the extra defender trying to shut off the pass to him), and Kobe goes into Kobe system mode and kills their offence. So fun to watch.

But worse, he kept trying to pre rotate to the roll man defensively, leaving Ariza multiple times for wide open shots. Wall was playing with Kobe in the 4th, looking as if he was going to make the easy pass to the closest target, and then skip passing it to the corner for wide open 3s from Ariza.

Kobe cost the Lakers this game. Plain and simple. And its really quite embarrassing how stubborn he is on both sides of the ball. If he was a top level player, he'd have this team in a much better position than 8th. I know a lot of it is coaching too, but you put any of the other top 5 players in his place and there's no way they're not at least a 5th seed in the West.

He simply cannot play within the offence. Even when he doesn't have the ball, he's so stubborn that instead of making good cuts or setting screens, he just posts up and calls for the ball. It's actually ridiculous how much of a ball stopper he is.

Oh, and LeBron will be MUCH better than Kobe when it's all said and done. That dude plays basketball the right way. Gets teammates involved and still gets his stats. And he has a good chance to win 3-5 rings.

I'm tired of defending Kobe. He needs to be called out.
Last edited by v1n5anity on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
v1n5anity

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:58 am

v1n5anity wrote:At $30 mill a year, Kobe just isn't worth the price. He gets his stats, but he just doesn't play good team basketball. LeBron is exposing how Kobe's bball IQ isn't as high as people think.

Kobe plays the set up guy for 2 quarters, the Wizards adjust, he continues to try to be Magic out there, turns it over a bunch of times, and then John Wall just mutilates them.

Then predictably in the 4th quarter, the Lakers completely get away from what was successful(using Howard in pick and roll, and if he didnt get deep catches off the roll, someone on the perimeter was open from the extra defender trying to shut off the pass to him), and Kobe goes into Kobe system mode and kills their offence. So fun to watch.

But worse, he kept trying to pre rotate to the roll man defensively, leaving Ariza multiple times for wide open shots. Wall was playing with Kobe in the 4th, looking as if he was going to make the easy pass to the closest target, and then skip passing it to the corner for wide open 3s from Ariza.

Kobe cost the Lakers this game. Plain and simple. And its really quite embarrassing how stubborn he is on both sides of the ball. If he was a top level player, he'd have this team in a much better position than 8th. I know a lot of it is coaching too, but you put any of the other top 5 players in his place and there's no way they're not at least a 5th seed in the West.

Let's amnesty him.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby v1n5anity on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:00 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:
v1n5anity wrote:At $30 mill a year, Kobe just isn't worth the price. He gets his stats, but he just doesn't play good team basketball. LeBron is exposing how Kobe's bball IQ isn't as high as people think.

Let's amnesty him.

Not saying we should. But lets hear your argument. Tell me how he's so good lol
v1n5anity

Postby The Original 81 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:00 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:

Let's amnesty him.

Agreed. I think Vince Carter would be an adequate replacement.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby v1n5anity on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:10 am

You guys have no argument :man10: . It's okay. I don't like admitting it either. But Kobe ain't that good anymore.
v1n5anity

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:17 am

Nash really needs to learn how & when to get us away from Kobeball.. His shot wasn't falling & he was missing ft's.. You have to find easy baskets down the stretch in close games like that. Have Dwight come set a solid screen & see who they leave open.
lakersin4

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion