Kobe Thread: Bucher- Kobe = Father of Team USA Success p.819

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: 30K

Postby Daloyalfan18 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Kobe sounds like he's at his wits end and I am too. I know the injuries and all that but I just don't understand why this team is so bad, especially when at times they show the that they are very capable.
Daloyalfan18

Postby Lakeshow24 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:54 pm

All I see are comments at the end of ESPN articles with everybody ragging on Kobe. I missed the game, but looks to me like he was balling out in the game. Looking at the boxscore, doesn't really look like anybody else should have received more shot opportunities with the exception of Dwight Howard...
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby Finwë on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:03 pm

It's not THAT baffling though.. Missing FTs, turning the ball over, not rotating on D, not boxing out, lacking shooting consistency, awful bench play, taking possessions off defensively, playing Morris..
Unless he's baffled at why those things are happening.. In that case I agree. They shouldn't.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby DHL on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:18 pm

kobe is a cancer
Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:19 pm

I think it's time for Kobe to go to small forward, and send MWP to the bench as a 6th man. We're not playing defense anyway. At least we can put pressure on the opposing team's defense.

Future

PG-Nash/Blake
SG-Meeks/Kobe
SF-Kobe/MWP
PF-Pau/Jamison
C- D12/Hill

Right Now

PG-Duhon/Morris :hurl:
SG-Meeks/Kobe
SF-Kobe/MWP
PF-Hill/Jamison
C-D12
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:28 pm

The team just needs to wake up. Realize they're not as good as they think (yet?) and play with something to actually lose. They need to come out and play defense and with intensity. Can't walk into games and then turn it on when they're down by 15.

Kobe can't score for his entire team. Guys also need to do something offensively. I think with Nash that will help Dwight become more efficient as well as Pau, MWP, and Jamison.

But until then Kobe should talk to the team and get them going with intensity. Kobe can't go 1v5 vs the Knicks and expect to win...he'll need more than one other guy to step up and i think if Dantoni isnt gunna help get guys going he needs to in the right way. Don't make them pissed at him, make them pissed at themselves and do better for themselves and for their team. Everyone is letting their team down and needs to correct that NOW
Ariza3

Postby LOSLAKERS on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Kobe's been making some nice late game 3s lately. Too bad they are all forgotten/wasted in losing efforts. On the bright side LeStatSheet nut huggers will have something to rage about
LOSLAKERS

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:54 pm

We've lost 7 out of the last 10 games. Kobe has to get his team going and be a leader on both ends. He sets an example by scoring a lot but not on D. I think he needs to say something bc the last time he did to the team they won i believe. Dantoni is just laughing and smiling after the game and doesn't seem to do much on the bench to get his guys going in a game.

Its about effort and Kobe may be giving it on O but not on D as it the rest of the team. He's the captain without his co-captain out there with him as well as without probably the guy he trusts the most, Nash. He's gotta be the leader the team needs and get them going. Its now or never i feel like. And the Knicks is a good top team to get the guys pumped for and want to win against. If they win that would be a huge confidence booster and they could ride that until Nash is back and Gasol.

Big game, and not just bc its the Knicks...bc we NEEEED a win or im not sure how the team will be after thrusday
Ariza3

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: "most challenging stretch" - pg406

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:31 pm

He had a wonderful game. Unfortunately, this is a tough stretch for fans let alone Kobe; who wants to win more then Kobe? Nobody. He's a rare breed. Nevertheless, it has been a difficult season for him; you can discern from his remarks that he's completely dissappointed and mystified.

These problems become excerbated when you have the talent on the roster that we have but yet you see no effort on the defensive end, you see the constantly missed rotations, no energy, uninspired basketball. That's what frustrates him. Although, he's not innocent in all of that; he's contributed to some of those complications.

However, in Kobe's mind, he knows he only has 2-3 elite level years left to play at this level and to win another championship or 2. He doesn't have the time to be wasting trying to figure things out at this point in his career. He wants to win now. I do feel in time things will get sorted out and we can go back to dominating the competition...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Murdock on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:35 pm

One comment ... We can't win playing Kobeball .. never have, never will ... we have enought offensive weapons, there is no reason for him to shoot 28 shots ... I don't care if he had a good game number-wise ... he needs to be more of a team player and play D ... this is getting ridiculous
Murdock

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:54 pm

He's gotta facilitate more for Dwight. 3-9 for Dwight is NOT enough. He went to the line 22 times so its not like he wasn't getting touches...its the kind of touches he's getting.

All that Kobe does it occasionally feed him the ball in a post up which ends badly. Kobe needs to play the point like he was earlier in the season when we actually won and dish it to Dwight with more movement. Kobe-Dwight PnR we haven't really seen, or Kobe driving and dropping it off.

This would all require the team to move around and cut when Kobe has the ball including Dwight. Hope Dantoni runs some PnR more with Kobe and tells him he wants him to facilitate more.

Kobeball wont work.
Ariza3

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 am

I just don't understand how Kobe can go for 42 with over 50% vs a scrub team & we still lose, he used to go for 40 with a lower fg %back in the day when we had Smush & that would be enough to win sometimes.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:39 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:He had a wonderful game. Unfortunately, this is a tough stretch for fans let alone Kobe; who wants to win more then Kobe? Nobody. He's a rare breed. Nevertheless, it has been a difficult season for him; you can discern from his remarks that he's completely dissappointed and mystified.

These problems become excerbated when you have the talent on the roster that we have but yet you see no effort on the defensive end, you see the constantly missed rotations, no energy, uninspired basketball. That's what frustrates him. Although, he's not innocent in all of that; he's contributed to some of those complications.

However, in Kobe's mind, he knows he only has 2-3 elite level years left to play at this level and to win another championship or 2. He doesn't have the time to be wasting trying to figure things out at this point in his career. He wants to win now. I do feel in time things will get sorted out and we can go back to dominating the competition...

^^ Great post. :bow:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:03 am

What's the point of going in full 1 on 1 mode as soon as the game start ? It has NEVER worked for the past two seasons ... I knew we were in for a long night when I watched this ...

As much as I admire him for what he has done for this franchise in the past , his stubborness and unwillingness to adapt has become unbearable these latest two seasons
wcsoldier81

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:34 am

Bryant scored 42 points on 28 shots, but turned the ball over five times and left his man, C.J. Miles, repeatedly open in transition.

Focus more on D (which is why were losing) and facilitate more. You tried it your way, now try the team way and see how it goes. Knicks will destroy us if Kobe continues what he's been doing. Kobe could score 61 again at MSG and i guarantee we still lose.
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:45 am

By the same token, Kobe's penchant for taking over games hasn't exactly helped the Lakers. They're 1-10 when Bryant tops the 30-point plateau.

Not that his scoring is necessarily to blame in and of itself. Rather, one could argue that Kobe's domination of the ball leaves his teammates disinterested and disengaged from the game at hand. Which, inevitably, starts up the same "Chicken vs. Egg" argument that pro- and anti-Kobe crowds get into in times like this. That's to say, is Kobe doing so much because his teammates are terrible? Or are Kobe's teammates underperforming because he's doing too much?
Ariza3

Postby gninerfan21 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:46 am

Kobe Bryant <3
gninerfan21

Postby LooN3y on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:16 am

CarolinaLakerFan wrote:I think it's time for Kobe to go to small forward, and send MWP to the bench as a 6th man. We're not playing defense anyway. At least we can put pressure on the opposing team's defense.

Future

PG-Nash/Blake
SG-Meeks/Kobe
SF-Kobe/MWP
PF-Pau/Jamison
C- D12/Hill

Right Now

PG-Duhon/Morris :hurl:
SG-Meeks/Kobe
SF-Kobe/MWP
PF-Hill/Jamison
C-D12

Anyone putting Blake before Duhon is beyond me, Duhon added more productivity in his few games in all of Blake's years wearing yh purple and gold
LooN3y

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:19 am

http://youtu.be/U_6zeKXqOgc

huge possession and Melo didn't even touch the ball. you trust your teammates early and throughout the game and they are involved and build confidence to make shots down the stretch.
Ariza3

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:32 am

Ariza3 wrote:We've lost 7 out of the last 10 games. Kobe has to get his team going and be a leader on both ends. He sets an example by scoring a lot but not on D. I think he needs to say something bc the last time he did to the team they won i believe. Dantoni is just laughing and smiling after the game and doesn't seem to do much on the bench to get his guys going in a game.

Its about effort and Kobe may be giving it on O but not on D as it the rest of the team. He's the captain without his co-captain out there with him as well as without probably the guy he trusts the most, Nash. He's gotta be the leader the team needs and get them going. Its now or never i feel like. And the Knicks is a good top team to get the guys pumped for and want to win against. If they win that would be a huge confidence booster and they could ride that until Nash is back and Gasol.

Big game, and not just bc its the Knicks...bc we NEEEED a win or im not sure how the team will be after thrusday

As much as I'd like to think he can, Kobe can't do everything. He's too old. You can't go out there and say "Okay Kobe, we need you to distribute the ball, score efficiently, play great defense so everyone else can play great defense, oh and by the way we know you've been in the league 17 years and everything, but we need you to play 37 minutes a game. Thanks Kob!"
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:33 am

Ariza3 wrote:http://youtu.be/U_6zeKXqOgc

huge possession and Melo didn't even touch the ball. you trust your teammates early and throughout the game and they are involved and build confidence to make shots down the stretch.

Did you watch that possession at all? The ball started in Melo's hands bro....they rotated the ball all the way around until it came to Kidd. The video doesn't show the entire possession.
FabFourLakers

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:38 am

^Also there were some possessions where the ball ended up in metta's hands where he missed a three and then traveled trying to drive the ball in, so you can see Kobe's dilemma in trusting his teammates.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:57 am

im talking about from the start and even in that last possession if it was kobe do you think he would even give up the ball at all? no.

BUT if he does it enough for an entire game or a few games and build that trust and chemistry then maybe we can actually run plays in which the D doesn't know what were gunna do. maybe when Nash is back and he could be shooting a 3 like that but for now Kobe has to trust his teammates and put them in spots to succeed and build something together
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:33 am

Also while Kobe is facilitating there can be possessions just for him. Kobe is shooting more jump shots it seems this season and is probably shooting them at a higher percentage. Under Brown last season Mike made him play more off ball and had multiple screens set for him which led to someone passing it to him for a wide open jumper. Kobe should facilitate but if hes gunna score it should be off something like that so that others touch the ball and everyone is focused on kobe off ball it could open things up for others especially since duhon is actually a decent passer.

Ariza3

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:22 am

Ariza3 wrote:Also while Kobe is facilitating there can be possessions just for him. Kobe is shooting more jump shots it seems this season and is probably shooting them at a higher percentage. Under Brown last season Mike made him play more off ball and had multiple screens set for him which led to someone passing it to him for a wide open jumper. Kobe should facilitate but if hes gunna score it should be off something like that so that others touch the ball and everyone is focused on kobe off ball it could open things up for others especially since duhon is actually a decent passer.

Last season Kobe had his worst season statistically speaking. Obviously it had to do with the team having no options other than him Pau and Andrew, but also he was handling the ball a lot and forcing up shots. I actually think this season he's doing a better job at trying to get guys involved, but if nobody is playing well he's stuck between a rock and a hard place. At what point does he try to get them back into the game? If he doesn't try to get them back and keeps trying to get guys going while they clank jumpshots, what can he do? Duhon only had 2 and 2 assists in 33 minutes, so he's not a consistent guy to handle the offense, there's a reason he wasn't even playing in Orlando.
KBJelleyBean24

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion