Kobe Thread: Bucher- Kobe = Father of Team USA Success p.819

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: ten 30pt game streak

Postby trodgers on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Do I mind it? Probably, but I'm a Kobe fan.

Do I think it should be high on the list of things to complain about? Not really. I think it bears mentioning and then moving on. I think we have much bigger issues than Kobe's D.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: 9 str8 30pt gms - only 1 at his age!

Postby khmrP on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:STOP IT! JUST STOP IT! Stop all that crap about Kobe defence, i am so sick of you guys!!!!
Dude just dropped 40 with 13/24 shooting along with 6 assists and you are talking about defence.
GET THE F*** OUT OF HERE. PERIOD.

so no D more O is the motto here right? Jee, lets see brewer 0-3 against Clipps, 6-7 from 3 against Lakers, yea who needs to play D, well I could be wrong in that Kobe was "guarding" Brewer...hard to tell since someone at the 3pt line tended to be open and Kobe was somewhere floating.
Last edited by khmrP on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khmrP

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Pringles is gonna run Kobe and this team into the ground.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Finwë on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:34 pm

JGC wrote:
Finwë wrote:
trodgers wrote::man10:

Never gets old.

Kobe's D was apparently pretty bad, but he didn't yield all 12 threes or all 20 offensive boards. This was an amazingly bad collective effort on D. It took genuine effort to suck that bad.

Exactly. We gave up a 127 defensive efficiency :man10:
At one point I was truly mesmerized at how bad we were defending, gave them so many different possibilities at the same time, I just didn't understand how it was even possible

I thought everyone's D was bad, but Kobe is supposed to be the leader here so I'm not sure I would completely accept the "everyone sucked" response because he's supposed to set the example for the team.

Having said that, for me, defense is still a team game.

But considering his D was (and is) bad, I'm sure you won't mind people complaining about it, right?

No, I don't mind, I complained about it too.. I mentioned it in this very thread.

I understand Kobe is the leader, however, IMO on defense that's been Howard's role. He's talked about it, pretty much said "I'm the leader of this defense", he's the anchor, and he wasn't even trying tonight. With Dwight here, Kobe IMO has become more of the leader of the offense, but not D.
Having said that, he's still the captain I guess, so he should try and lead by example. His D so far this season has been bad.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby The Rock on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:49 pm

Should've had 50 tonight he assaulted the rim and got no calls inside. SMH

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Nashty Gal on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:56 pm

it was sad when he got slapped in the face and no call :man5:
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:15 am

Kobe's not young Kobe anymore, he still has the ability and talent but his popularity isn't like the younger superstars in the league so he's not gonna get superstar calls anymore.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Ar[C]heZ!A on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:55 am

It was another great scoring game from him again. It's fascinating really. A comment from Wade that I read today speaks volumes about his greatness.
"I know the different Kobes that I've guarded over my 10 years," Wade said. "That kind of helped me to say, 'OK, I know when he went through his injuries, he was this player. Then once he got healthy, he was this player.'" ~Wade

When Wade came into the league Kobe was considered a veteran. Now, Wade's game starts to diminish but Kobe is like still in his prime. And look what Wade says, he played against many different "Kobes" throughout that 9 year period. Kobe adapted to every situation and every condition whether it's about his body or the game overall. It's like when you think he will get old, another Kobe comes in with a different and new skill in his game. It's nothing less than phenomenal...
Ar[C]heZ!A

Postby LooN3y on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:32 am

Jazzygirl205 wrote:Kobe's not young Kobe anymore, he still has the ability and talent but his popularity isn't like the younger superstars in the league so he's not gonna get superstar calls anymore.

i dont know what you mean by popularity, kobe still has more fans than most in the league prob minus lebron.
LooN3y

Postby borri on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:13 am

Good lord another 40 min game for Kobe. This has got to stop. This is ridiculous.
borri

Postby kenzo on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:17 am

borri wrote:Good lord another 40 min game for Kobe. This has got to stop. This is ridiculous.

:mad1:
kenzo

Postby borri on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:20 am

kenzo wrote:
borri wrote:Good lord another 40 min game for Kobe. This has got to stop. This is ridiculous.

Sad part is we have D12. Antoni's offense doesn't make full use of D12.

With Nash shooting lights out as usual....imagine how GOOOOOD we'd look under PJ's "shaq-angle" offense. :mad1:
borri

Postby Johnnyboy on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:24 am

Jazzygirl205 wrote:Kobe's not young Kobe anymore, he still has the ability and talent but his popularity isn't like the younger superstars in the league so he's not gonna get superstar calls anymore.

This makes no sense. Elite vets always get the calls. ANd lol at popularity
Johnnyboy

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:39 am

Kobe is truly unreal. :bow: I feel like I've run out of things to say about his greatness. But oh yeah, he got freaking jobbed by the refs tonight. They should be embarrassed that they are still employed after the butchering they allowed to go down. The shove in the back. The hack job by three guys in the lane on Kobe's quarter ending drive? :disagree:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerzkb8 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:18 am

Most consecutive 30+ point games since 1985-86
Kobe Bryant, 2002-03: 16
Tracy McGrady, 2002-03: 14
Shaquille O'Neal, 2000-01: 11
Michael Jordan, 1986-87: 11
Kobe Bryant, 2012-13: 11
Lebron James, 2005-06: 10
Michael Jordan, 1990-91: 10
Michael Jordan, 1989-90: 10
Karl Malone, 1987-88: 10
Michael Jordan, 1986-87: 10

10 years later and hes chasing his own record :man10:
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'! - Chick Hearn RIP
lakerzkb8

Postby Magic Skywalker on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:29 am

He's in 10 right now, but yeah, it's pretty impressive.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby escobar8 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:03 am

another wasted, great game ...40p 6ast on above 50% shooting...
escobar8

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:14 am

borri wrote:
kenzo wrote:

Sad part is we have D12. Antoni's offense doesn't make full use of D12.

With Nash shooting lights out as usual....imagine how GOOOOOD we'd look under PJ's "shaq-angle" offense. :mad1:

LOL that is b******* and you know it.

The triangle offense has been great and won obviously alot of championships, but it never has required a true point guard like Steve Nash. In that offense he'd be relegated to being a spot up jumper which is not what we want. The ball needs to be in Steve's hands so he can facilitate and make life easier for his teammates.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby John3:16 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:04 am

lakerzkb8 wrote:Most consecutive 30+ point games since 1985-86
Kobe Bryant, 2002-03: 16
Tracy McGrady, 2002-03: 14
Shaquille O'Neal, 2000-01: 11
Michael Jordan, 1986-87: 11
Kobe Bryant, 2012-13: 11
Lebron James, 2005-06: 10
Michael Jordan, 1990-91: 10
Michael Jordan, 1989-90: 10
Karl Malone, 1987-88: 10
Michael Jordan, 1986-87: 10

10 years later and hes chasing his own record :man10:

Charles Barkley wrote:Kobe Bryant's days of scoring 30 are over.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby v1n5anity on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:03 am

Kobe can't be any worse on defense if he tried. This guys has become an embarrassment on that end of the floor. Screens eliminate Kobe from a play almost every time. He roams when he's not guarding the ball and gives guys open shots. He sometimes rotates to the wrong guy. For example, yesterday he rotated to Miller who was already bring closed out by Meeks and a result left Iggy wide open. And when he does close out shooters, he fouls them at an incredible rate. It's sad how bad he is on defense. Does he not realize? I just don't understand.
v1n5anity

Postby JGC on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:07 am

Finwë wrote:
JGC wrote:
Finwë wrote:
trodgers wrote::man10:

Never gets old.

Kobe's D was apparently pretty bad, but he didn't yield all 12 threes or all 20 offensive boards. This was an amazingly bad collective effort on D. It took genuine effort to suck that bad.

Exactly. We gave up a 127 defensive efficiency :man10:
At one point I was truly mesmerized at how bad we were defending, gave them so many different possibilities at the same time, I just didn't understand how it was even possible

I thought everyone's D was bad, but Kobe is supposed to be the leader here so I'm not sure I would completely accept the "everyone sucked" response because he's supposed to set the example for the team.

Having said that, for me, defense is still a team game.

But considering his D was (and is) bad, I'm sure you won't mind people complaining about it, right?

No, I don't mind, I complained about it too.. I mentioned it in this very thread.

I understand Kobe is the leader, however, IMO on defense that's been Howard's role. He's talked about it, pretty much said "I'm the leader of this defense", he's the anchor, and he wasn't even trying tonight. With Dwight here, Kobe IMO has become more of the leader of the offense, but not D.
Having said that, he's still the captain I guess, so he should try and lead by example. His D so far this season has been bad.

Agreed. I will say, I almost never think a single individual's defense is ever the primary factor in a loss however and that includes the Nuggets game. Defense is a team game. One person, especially a guard, will not be able to impact a game the way a big does. I think what gets me is not even the plays where he's guarding like Lawson one on one and Lawson gets by him.. that's expected. What really bugs me is when he plays poor team or help defense. Sagging off his man and not recovering or not switching over. I feel like I see Kobe caught in no man's land constantly. The reason I say the whole thing about leading is because the lack of help defense on the team as a whole is lacking.

And I agree with you about Dwight but honestly, he's the last line of defense and I think it's unfair for everyone to just let players go by them and say ok Dwight you're the leader of the defense you stop all these guys. (Just the same as it is for the team to give it to Kobe on offense and expect him to do things himself).

I guess all in all, we're seeing a common theme. And that is that we aren't playing as a team at all. On either end of the floor. I really believe we have a leadership issue. We don't have a guy players will rally around. I know that sounds like an indictment on Kobe, and maybe it is to a degree, but I really think we're missing that inspirational, motivating type leader on the floor or on the coaching staff. Nash isn't it and neither is D'antoni.
JGC

Postby JGC on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:11 am

V1n5anity wrote:Kobe can't be any worse on defense if he tried. This guys has become an embarrassment on that end of the floor. Screens eliminate Kobe from a play almost every time. He roams when he's not guarding the ball and gives guys open shots. He sometimes rotates to the wrong guy. For example, yesterday he rotated to Miller who was already bring closed out by Meeks and a result left Iggy wide open. And when he does close out shooters, he fouls them at an incredible rate. It's sad how bad he is on defense. Does he not realize? I just don't understand.

Honestly, I don't think Kobe is bad, per se. I've seen a few possessions here and there where he's really held his ground and won the possession.

What I see, isn't a guy who is trying and failing. I see a guy who, on the defensive end, just isn't trying very hard at all.

So when you hear comments after losses about energy and effort and you have a leader who doesn't lead by example on the defensive end it does make me wonder if there is a relationship there. If he can play 44 minutes and hoist 40+ shots in a game, then surely, he can play 32-33 minutes and play hard on both sides of the ball is what I'm thinking.
JGC

Postby frankrj on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:13 am

Some people are blinded by their love of his phenomenal skills and his prolific scoring ability. I thought Steve would even out the touches a little more. Kobe got 29 shots up, Dwight 10 shots, Pau 12 shots; including FTs, Artest 4 out of 13 shots. So, D'antoni's system will be great for jump shooters, not post players, duh!.
frankrj

Postby LooN3y on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:54 am

lakerswiz wrote:KOBE SERIOUSLY MIGHT BREAK A RECORD HE SET HIMSELF 10 YEARS AGO.

10 YEARS AGO WHEN HE WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF HIS PRIME.

AND HE MIGHT BREAK THAT RECORD.

GOOD GOD I LOVE THIS MAN.

yea but we won that year. i hate seeing us lose like this

but i do want kobe to break the captains hold on the all time scoring list, given that we win 2 more which equals to 7 for the black mamba that is
LooN3y

Postby lkrfn85 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:41 am

LooN3y wrote:
lakerswiz wrote:KOBE SERIOUSLY MIGHT BREAK A RECORD HE SET HIMSELF 10 YEARS AGO.

10 YEARS AGO WHEN HE WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF HIS PRIME.

AND HE MIGHT BREAK THAT RECORD.

GOOD GOD I LOVE THIS MAN.

yea but we won that year. i hate seeing us lose like this

but i do want kobe to break the captains hold on the all time scoring list, given that we win 2 more which equals to 7 for the black mamba that is

We didn't win it that year. That was the year Shaq "recovered on company time" and missed most of the early season. Lakers struggled, but Kobe scored a ton. We lost to S.A. in 2nd round.
lkrfn85

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion