Kobe Thread: Bucher- Kobe = Father of Team USA Success p.819

Re: Kobe Discussion: faster rehab progress than expected! (679)

Postby Weezy on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:01 pm

I'm cautiously optimistic, I don't want to see Kobe be Kobe and push it too hard too quick and have a setback or re-injure his Achilles. I know he works super hard at rehabbing, but he's almost 35, and this is the same injury that kept Rose out an entire season. I'd rather Kobe come back in December all healed up for sure than push it for opening night. I hope everyone involved is being super careful and protecting Kobe from himself here.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:04 pm

I thought Rose injured his knee.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:04 pm

Weezy wrote:I'm cautiously optimistic, I don't want to see Kobe be Kobe and push it too hard too quick and have a setback or re-injure his Achilles. I know he works super hard at rehabbing, but he's almost 35, and this is the same injury that kept Rose out an entire season. I'd rather Kobe come back in December all healed up for sure than push it for opening night. I hope everyone involved is being super careful and protecting Kobe from himself here.

rose tore his ACL. kobe tores his achilles. i trust that kobe won't do anything foolish (and that vitti and co won't let him)
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby wallangong on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:05 pm

^ Weezy I've seen you refer to this as ACL many times. This is a totally different injury than Rose. Rose was knee, Kobe is heel. Nothin but love man I just wanted to point that out.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby Weezy on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:12 pm

Ah, I keep doing that, don't know why I keep confusing the injuries, not even close to the same thing. Still, I remain cautiously optimistic, Kobe's a hard worker, and he might well be a freak of nature quick healer as well, but still at 34 (35 next month) I'm just trying to keep my expectations low.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:14 pm

I'm with Weezy.

No way do I expect him to be running at full strength in August. I'll keep my expectations low.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:18 pm

I want him healthy by the time we play the Rockets for the first time at home and he takes a s*** all over D12, the beard and the bromance.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby kenshi1023 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:18 pm

didn't rose tear acl, mcl, and meniscus?
lakers turned mr.potatohead into pringles!
kenshi1023

Postby OX1947 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:20 pm

David Beckam came back from his in 6 months. Kobe will be back for opening day. People like Becks and Kobe are not the same as Bynum or Rose. Kobe and Becks are world class, international icons. Their access to stuff is 100 times more then even rich people like Rose or whoever.
OX1947

Postby TSpence26 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Kobe is not from this world, he will be fine. People that say he is done and is old are so stupid.. dude was averaging over 25 ppg still
TSpence26

Postby Weezy on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:34 pm

Kobe quotes time

@mcten: Kobe on his rehab: "I'm progressing faster than everybody expected so I'm very happy with it." He is targeting mid August for full activity

@mcten: Kobe on participating in drills with campers: "I'm limited. I'm not going to be able to do too much w/o the Lakers having a heart attack"

@mcten: Kobe: "I could shoot right now (on the court), but we just don't trust that the tendon is holding yet. Typically it's 4 months, minimum"

@mcten: Kobe on Dwight: "I'm happy for him. It's important for free agents to make decisions that they feel is best for them."

:man10:
@mcten: Kobe on the meeting with Dwight: "Everybody was dead-a** serious. It was pretty funny to me."

@mcten: Kobe on unfollowing Dwight on Twitter: "Listen man, it's just me. That's just how I am."

@mcten: KB on unfollowing DH: "I have a hard time following people that want to beat us ... Not to say we're not friends or I don't respect him"

Uh huh, I don't think they are or he does ha ha

@mcten: Kobe when asked why DH left: "Once a guys decides to go someplace else, I'm going to waste my time trying to figure out why that happened?"

@mcten: Typical sarcastic Kobe walking into his presser: "Sorry to pull you all way from @RyanKelly34" (The rook met w/ reporters earlier on Weds)
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:42 pm

Good news. :jam2: Cautiously optimistic as well.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:43 pm

If it makes you guys feel any better Dr. Klapper was talking about how he can't re-tear the tendon. Let me do some fishin'....
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:44 pm

probably has to do with the scar tissue formation
lakersyunowin

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Dr. Robert Klapper ‏@DrRobertKlapper 8 Jul
The new advance for sewing the Achilles involves a special way to LOCK the sutures together as you weave the 2 ends together.Will not retear
Expand

The Kevlar like sutures we use to sew the Achilles together is NOT as strong as the Scar the body makes. KOBE will not tear it again!
Expand

When you tear your Achilles you cannot stand. KOBE shot 2 free throws. He is recovering in record time! We will see something special!
Expand[/quote

KOBE was right! Having his surgery immediately after tearing his Achilles does speed up his recovery. Less muscle atrophy to rehab
Expand[/quote

Dr. Robert Klapper ‏@DrRobertKlapper 21h
The Scar that forms around the Achilles repair is 360 degrees around the tendon. The body remodels and smooths this down over time=painful
Expand

Dr. Robert Klapper ‏@DrRobertKlapper 20h
Sutures in skin for Achilles we remove after healing. Sutures below skin body will absorb. Stitches in the tendon for repair stay forever
Expand

Dr. Robert Klapper ‏@DrRobertKlapper 20h
@trips82288 not a partial tear but a complete/full tear. How KOBE could walk unassisted and shoot 2 free throws is a mystery. MAMBA MYSTERY
View conversation
Doc Brown

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:50 pm

^^ Damn. Kobe is truly not human. The fact that he hobbled out there and made two free throws on a torn achilles is just insane.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Cleansed on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:58 pm

I posted about my personal experience with the same exact injury when i first heard the news . To be honest my ordeal was far more serious than Kobes due to less than optimal circumstances. To reiterate..
* If you are in good shape with good muscle memory and excellent nutrition the healing phase can happen very quickly. I was literally limping along on my own power in a month / month and a half (not wise). They had to force me to stay on crutches. I eat well and train multiple times per week in addition to biking.

* My surgically repaired Achilles is thicker and stronger than my non repaired tendon (!). Which is actually a minor problem.

* The main issue is 1) trust and 2) explosiveness . This is the area that concerns me with regard to Kobe. It's one thing to talk the talk but when you see how atrophied your formerly superhuman calf muscle is and you cant explode in activities as you're accustomed to you can either lose faith early on or over do it. I over did it. I suspect Kobe will need trainers with him holding him back :man10:

With all of that said...i dont make $30 million annually nor did i have the best medical attention money can buy. If i was able to heal and perform quickly then i believe Kobe will even more so . I suspect he'll just be lacking explosiveness and hops due to the fact that his calf muscle will not have had enough time to recover to full strength (which takes @ a year with training).
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby chingy248 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:02 pm

ugh....why rush with such a crap roster lol
chingy248

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:04 pm

I really don't know how the media do not celebrate this guy more.... He is unfricken human
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby DarthRekal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:05 pm

this guy is inhuman... i hope we come back and smash the league next year :man10:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:06 pm

I think that usually the concern (once the repaired tendon heals) is to not have the other one tear as well having to compensate for the now super-strong tendon.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby nthydro on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:42 pm

With his level of dedication, I don't think anyone should be surprised by his early progress. I for sure wont be shocked if he's playing the first game of the season.
nthydro

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:42 pm

If you missed it..

Entire Kobe Press conference at his Camp (Video):

TWC SportsNet ‏@TWCSportsNet 1h

#ICYMI: Watch today's @KobeBryant interview, uncut: http://ow.ly/mQPJI #Lakers
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:47 pm

sweet, thx for the link BT
lakersyunowin

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:51 pm

:man10: Gotta love Kobe giving the media so much s*** for asking stupid question
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion