Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Re: Kobe Discussion: faster rehab progress than expected! (679)

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:01 pm

If anyone still has an issue with what Kobe said yesterday it is clearly a negociating tactic, Kobe even says it himself. Don't believe me just watch this video:

Serena Winters ‏@SerenaWinters 5h

Just for the record - Kobe did not mention a specific #, or even hint at money being an issue for his Lakers future - http://youtu.be/65ICQCfvv70

Starts at 2:40

He'll obviously be willing to sign for $10-15 million or so if it means we can get 1-2 max players as well. Kobe knows what he's doing and just wants to win more than anything but also knows he deserves to make some money as well.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby odom1year on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:31 pm

Better wait for fully recovery.
odom1year

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:02 am

Interesting article by Henry Abbott. Not saying I agree with everything, and he is a known Kobe basher, but some of his points are inescapable.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/61207/kobe-will-control

Dwight Howard and Chris Paul were both free agents this summer and might have joined forces on the Los Angeles Lakers, sources told Chris Broussard.

Put on your Mitch Kupchak hat and picture that.

The idea died quickly, of course. Not because it doesn't make perfect sense. Not because it wouldn't be far better for the Lakers, both in the long term and short term. But because it would have meant cutting Laker icon Kobe Bryant loose, which is complicated for so many reasons, not the least of which is how Lakers fans view Bryant.

Even without Paul, and with Kobe staying, Howard was interested in remaining a Laker, sources tell Ramona Shelburne and Marc Stein, -- if Howard could get a clear picture of when Bryant would hand Howard the torch.

You know who the Lakers said would control that decision? According to the sources of Shelburne and Stein: Not Jeanie Buss. Not Jerry Buss. Not Kupchak. Not departed Lakers stalwarts Jerry West, Magic Johnson or Phil Jackson.

Kobe.

The only logical conclusion: Waiting for Kobe to hand over the torch is a sucker's game.

That has been the story thus far. Kobe would be in control of this franchise-turning decision, and most other stuff too. It is at the heart of his profound global on-court appeal. Who doesn't love the idea of a swashbuckling butt-kicker ready to take full command of the battlefield? He is exactly that.

Who's scared to take the big shot? NOT THIS GUY. He shrinks from nothing, leaves nothing to chance, or others.

That has also long been, predictably and increasingly, his undoing. His willingness to take the big shot has been lauded, but in fact there were plenty of good shooters open, ready and ignored.

"I sometimes think Kobe is so addicted to being in control that he would rather shoot the ball when guarded, or even double-teamed, than dish it to an open teammate," Jackson wrote in his 2004 book "The Last Season." "He is saying to himself: How can he trust anyone else? Well, he should learn to trust."

Bryant has personally driven the Lakers to success over the past couple of decades. But his white-knuckle grip on the steering wheel has, paradoxically, also long kept the Lakers from being as good as they might have been. Even as age and injuries have limited his production, Bryant has consumed an increasing share of the Lakers' ever-more-precious under the new CBA cap space. His cost is going up even faster than his salary and has always been tough to quantify, though it is weighty.

How many wins did it cost the Lakers when Bryant deflated teammates such as Andrew Bynum, scared off free agents such as Howard, played an essential part in the departure of Shaquille O'Neal (which likely cost the Lakers a title)? What is the bottom-line cost of long forcing the Lakers to ignore more-likely-to-succeed options to run inefficient Kobe-centric plays?

The Lakers would win or they would lose, but nobody sticks Bryant in the corner.

Jackson has long wrestled with how to talk about Bryant. He has partnered with him, coached him to great success, won rings with him, and lauded him every which way.

And yet Jackson's legacy as one of the greatest coaches in sports history hinges on his ability to get individuals -- including Michael freaking Jordan -- to think team-first.

Jackson has written several books with this underlying theme. His latest and best book, "Eleven Rings," ends with this conclusion: "At some point you have to let go and turn yourself over to the basketball gods. The soul of success is surrendering to what is."

But Bryant never fully bought in. Jackson implies that Bryant's need to control will dog Bryant, and anyone who plays on or coaches the Lakers for as long as Bryant is around.

Jackson has a vision for how it could be better, rooted in his playing days with the Knicks. Jackson quotes his former Knicks coach, Red Holzman: "On a good team there are no superstars. There are great players who show they are great players by being able to play with others as a team."

It's one of a dozen tales in "Eleven Rings" in which Jackson indirectly needles Bryant's approach. Other times he's much more direct:

"Kobe was building his résumé at the expense of the rest of the team. … Kobe's selfishness and unpredictability gave the other players a sinking feeling that he didn't trust them anymore, which further eroded team harmony."
"I admired Kobe's intense desire to win, but he still had a lot to learn about teamwork and self-sacrifice. … I questioned whether he'd be able to contain his ego long enough to master the triangle system."
"Kobe was hell-bent on surpassing Jordan as the greatest player in the game. His obsession with Michael was striking. Not only had he mastered many of Jordan's moves, but he affected many of M.J.'s mannerisms as well. When we played in Chicago that season, I orchestrated a meeting between the two stars, thinking that Michael might help shift Kobe's attitude toward selfish teamwork. After they shook hands, the first words out of Kobe's mouth were 'You know I can kick your [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] one-on-one.'"
"Now I know why the guys don't like playing with you," Jackson brags of telling a young Bryant, adding "You can't be captain if nobody will follow you."

Bryant is getting older now. Slowing down. Hardly any NBA guards have been this good this deep in their careers -- and now he's coming off one of the worst injuries there is, while his salary skyrockets, the luxury tax gets more serious than it has ever been, and the team is more interested than ever in creating cap space. Any reasonable projection of what he can deliver the team is down. Any reasonable projection of what he will cost the team is up, and now evidently includes yet another scared-off All-Star center.

There was a time when Bryant's play was so transcendent that the byproducts of his controlling nature -- missed game-winners by the dozen, O'Neal or Bynum leaving town, might have been worth it. It was the cost of doing business with an MVP shooting guard who delivered five titles. The next and final phase of Bryant's career, however, will either be about giving up some control -- for instance by recruiting and helping to develop the next generation of Laker greats -- or things will get ugly.
Savory Griddles

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:51 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ayvZW11lYDM[/youtube]

Just wanted to share this one with you guys. Amazing vid. :jam2:
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby kakafung on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:43 am

DarthRekal wrote:this guy is inhuman... i hope we come back and smash the league next year :man10:

instead of looking forward next year ,i want kobe smash the next 2 years :jam2:
kakafung

Postby The Rock on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:01 pm

I guess he will be ready for opening day

https://twitter.com/DrewGarrisonSBN/status/356956323864256512

CDR said he still talks to Kobe, who has told him he is three MONTHS ahead of schedule.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:14 pm

those PEDs
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:43 pm

^Naw he just hugged Dwade during the olympics... its like spiderman getting bit
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:56 pm

I think that Abbott article is just awful to be honest. Seems like something he wrote with the sole purpose of getting hits.

I mean seriously, Shaq clearly loses when you compare his success after him and Kobe went their separate ways, they were both at fault, and also why its STILL being brought up after nearly decade I have no idea.

Speaking of nearly a decade ago, Phil's comments in his book are in reference to Kobe in his early 20s. He obviously included them to create a buzz around his book release. You write an article about Kobe's era coming to an end and yet you use quotes that are about Afro Kobe?

Bynum was traded for Dwight, Kobe didn't run him out of town. If anything, the times where Kobe was legitimately negative towards Bynum, we saw Drew rise to the challenge and become better. Sure he may not have wanted to re-sign here, but who's to say the Lakers wouldve wanted to keep him anyways?

Dwight, by many, many accounts never really wanted to be here, and he damn sure didn't make any real case that he had earned the keys to the franchise last season anyways.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby LOSLAKERS on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:04 pm

Crazy to be 3 months ahead of schedule when it's hardly been 3 months since the injury
LOSLAKERS

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:28 pm

Yeah I'm a little :man3: about that report
LTLakerFan

Postby TIME on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:Interesting article by Henry Abbott. Not saying I agree with everything, and he is a known Kobe basher, but some of his points are inescapable.

:man3:

I didn't find the article remotely close to interesting. It was just the same old tune Kobe haters have been whistling for the last decade. I also didn't find any of his "points" inescapable. The PJ stories were all taken out of time context. For the 10,000th time, Kobe did not drive Shaq out of town... Shaq did that himself. Kobe "deflating" Bynum didn't cost the team any victories as he asserts. Bynum's knees did all the deflating. Just drivel.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:06 pm

I have a feeling Kobe might want to rush into playing a little too soon...We all wish he were 100% already but unfortunately I feel this might take a little time. Hang in there....

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:18 pm

TIME wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:Interesting article by Henry Abbott. Not saying I agree with everything, and he is a known Kobe basher, but some of his points are inescapable.

:man3:

I didn't find the article remotely close to interesting. It was just the same old tune Kobe haters have been whistling for the last decade. I also didn't find any of his "points" inescapable. The PJ stories were all taken out of time context. For the 10,000th time, Kobe did not drive Shaq out of town... Shaq did that himself. Kobe "deflating" Bynum didn't cost the team any victories as he asserts. Bynum's knees did all the deflating. Just drivel.

this
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Re: Kobe Discussion: #keepthepeace (678)

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:07 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 58s
Kobe on his rehab: "I'm progressing faster than everybody expected so I'm very happy with it." He is targeting mid August for full activity
Expand

:jam2:

Finally - some good news. :jam2:
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby kenzo on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:09 am

... just don't rush it, PLEASE. Im not talking "milking it" Rose style but just be sure you're at 101% and then come back.
kenzo

Postby charvin on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:12 am

Well, according to Shaq, Kobe is likely pushing his rehab as fast as possible so in a sense, he's already rushing it.

kenzo wrote:... just don't rush it, PLEASE. Im not talking "milking it" Rose style but just be sure you're at 101% and then come back.
charvin

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:15 am

What I worry about is MDA. If Kobe says he's ready to play, when in actuality he needs to ease his way into it, MDA will take him at face value and play him 48 minutes a night.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:18 am

What I find funny is the updates from Kobe saying how far ahead of schedule he is, Klapper saying the exact same thing:

Dr. Robert Klapper ‏@DrRobertKlapper 41s
KOBE to be at full activity in 4 weeks. That means no restrictions but later stages of tendon recovery still remain. Will see him at Game 1.

Yet so many here in talking about how our season is going to play out ......still so sure and stating we're not going to "see" him until late December. Uh huh. :man3: :man3: :man3:

LMFAO
LTLakerFan

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:22 am

I don't know. My sister tore her achilles running, and even after being cleared 6 months later for running, it tightens up after about 20 minutes of exercise. I can imagine that he'll be able to play when the season starts, but maybe only for 20 - 25 minutes before it tightens up and he can't run.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Scnottaken on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:24 am

LTLakerFan wrote:What I find funny is the updates from Kobe saying how far ahead of schedule he is, Klapper saying the exact same thing:

KOBE to be at full activity in 4 weeks. That means no restrictions but later stages of tendon recovery still remain. Will see him at Game 1.

Yet so many here in talking about how our season is going to play out ......still so sure and stating we're not going to "see" him until late December. Uh huh. :man3: :man3: :man3:

LMFAO

What's more likely is we won't see /him/ until late december, as in we won't see him at full, or near full capacity until that time. That's what I choose to believe at least.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:29 am

Inhuman
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:34 am

Scnottaken wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:What I find funny is the updates from Kobe saying how far ahead of schedule he is, Klapper saying the exact same thing:

LMFAO

What's more likely is we won't see /him/ until late december, as in we won't see him at full, or near full capacity until that time. That's what I choose to believe at least.

Right, I get that and wonder about it, but still expect to be surprised even there. But the people who literally say Kobe's not in the lineup until then. No way.
LTLakerFan

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:35 am

you guys realize it's only a partial tear right?

he'll be back by opening day. not really worried.
FabFourLakers

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:36 am

WAT?? It was a complete rupture. No??????
LTLakerFan

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion