Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Re: Wolverine Discussion: Shatters recovery timetable! (689)

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:13 pm

Scnottaken wrote:
Jazzygirl205 wrote:
Kobe Bryant Voted Favorite Player Among NBA Rookies

Kobe Bryant is your favorite rookie’s, favorite player. According to an NBA.com survery of first-year youngsters, Kobe edges out LeBron James in terms of popularity: “Who is your favorite player in the league? 1: Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers — 21.2 percent, 2: LeBron James, Miami — 15.2 percent, T-3rd: Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City & Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas — 12.1 percent, T-5th: Kevin Garnett, Brooklyn & Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers — 9.1 percent, Others receiving votes: Carmelo Anthony, New York; Vince Carter, Dallas; Tim Duncan, San Antonio; James Harden, Houston; Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio; Steve Nash, L.A. Lakers; Dwyane Wade, Miami. Worth noting: LeBron won his second straight championship, but couldn’t retain his spot as the rookies’ favorite player. As Kobe nears the end of his career, he still gets love from the kids.”
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/08/kobe-bryant-voted-favorite-player-among-nba-rookies/

"Edged" him out? He's a full 6% ahead, which means he has like 40% more votes than LeBron.

What?

No Dwight Howard?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:26 pm

Scnottaken wrote:
Jazzygirl205 wrote:
Kobe Bryant Voted Favorite Player Among NBA Rookies

Kobe Bryant is your favorite rookie’s, favorite player. According to an NBA.com survery of first-year youngsters, Kobe edges out LeBron James in terms of popularity: “Who is your favorite player in the league? 1: Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers — 21.2 percent, 2: LeBron James, Miami — 15.2 percent, T-3rd: Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City & Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas — 12.1 percent, T-5th: Kevin Garnett, Brooklyn & Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers — 9.1 percent, Others receiving votes: Carmelo Anthony, New York; Vince Carter, Dallas; Tim Duncan, San Antonio; James Harden, Houston; Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio; Steve Nash, L.A. Lakers; Dwyane Wade, Miami. Worth noting: LeBron won his second straight championship, but couldn’t retain his spot as the rookies’ favorite player. As Kobe nears the end of his career, he still gets love from the kids.”
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/08/kobe-bryant-voted-favorite-player-among-nba-rookies/

"Edged" him out? He's a full 6% ahead, which means he has like 40% more votes than LeBron.

if it was the other way around it would of said "Lebron best Kobe by far as the most favorite player by NBA Rookies"
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:37 pm

Notice how the article takes a cheap shot at him, and says he doesn't play any defense? It also says that he is known for his offense and his highly competitive spirit.

The media must fume over the fact that Kobe is the most popular and well-respected baller on the planet, no matter how much they berate him and hype LeBron.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Kerppo on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:40 am

Kerppo

Postby LakerFan1235 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:18 pm

Kerppo wrote:Awesome Kobe vid

http://youtu.be/aI5BnvGx2iY

Wow that was fantastic.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby Ras Algethi on Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:24 pm

^Awesome vid. That was a quite a season from Kobe if you factor in everything. Dude was 34 and still carrying his team, playing more minutes than anyone but a handful of people, pulling them to the playoffs. And that athleticism was something we havent seen from him in 2 years or so. Shame it had to end the way it did.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:40 pm

That was awesome.. Kobe really willed us to the playoffs last season, & it's going to be amazing to watch him get by another obstacle returning from this injury.
lakersin4

Postby Kerppo on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:46 pm

LakerFan1235 wrote:

Wow that was fantastic.

Thanks so much, I made the vid :) glad to hear u guys liked it.
Kerppo

Postby kobayashi on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:37 pm

@vvvvv

The media must fume over the fact that Kobe is the most popular and well-respected baller on the planet, no matter how much they berate him and hype LeBron.

Indeed!!! No matter what they do, (media, haters), they have to accept the fact that Vino24 is well respected, admired by fans, players.... and to think that the suppose Best basketball player today just won his back2back Championships and Finals MVP. They are fuming :mad1: with disbelief especially when they berate by their "employees", that they're doing sloppy job to credit/discredit Vino24 and LeHype...

How can you find any player who experienced some adversities and overcome them? Hope he'll beat this Achilles thing and prove them wrong again! :man9:

@Kerppo
Heartwarming Vid... praises are well deserve... :man6:
kobayashi

Postby nthydro on Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:56 pm

My little cousin ran into Kobe at Fashion Island in Newport Beach today. Said he was walking normally.
nthydro

Postby Nikez on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:52 pm

One of the most respected orthopedic surgeons in the field discusses Kobe's injury.

New approach helps heal Achilles faster
By Kevin R. Stone

The news that Kobe Bryant has "shattered" the timetable for recovery from his Achilles tendon repair is no doubt heartening for Los Angeles Lakers fans.

Speaking in China, Kobe told NBA.com "Three-and-a-half months [and] I can already walk just fine, I'm lifting weights with the Achilles just fine and that's different. So we don't know what that timetable is going to be. It's kind of new territory for us all."

This fast-forward recovery is also inspiring to orthopedic surgeons. There is something incredible about witnessing a professional athlete work their way back from a catastrophic injury, the way Bryant appears to be doing. When he ruptured his Achilles on April 12 against the Warriors, his spirit was clearly broken.

"Maybe I should break out the rocking chair and reminisce on the career that was," he vented on his Facebook page. "Maybe this is how my book ends. Maybe Father Time has defeated me."

Kobe's despair that first weekend was understandable. An Achilles tendon rupture is a devastating injury, requiring many months of rehabilitation. However, it didn't take long for this despair to turn to determination. We see this in many of our athletes, especially the pros. They are down, then something clicks and their focus switches to recovery. They don't ever lose sight of this.

As surgeons, we learn the most from our athlete patients who push the limits. They teach us what is possible and often destroy the "traditional thinking" about tissue healing. They bring their focus, dedication and professional mind-set to the job of healing.

This is why I encourage each of my patients to think of themselves as "an athlete in training" and not "a patient in rehab." It makes a difference, even if, unlike Kobe, they are not able to make recovery a full-time job.

Our job as physicians and surgeons is to continually improve the care we give. The most common approach to an Achilles rupture is to open up the wound, unfortunately losing the valuable cells and growth factors that the body has produced around the injury site to begin the repair process. It also creates a large scar.

At The Stone Clinic, we have learned that the less you disturb the healing tissues, the better and faster they heal. In the case of Achilles tendon ruptures, even nonsuperathletes can heal rapidly if the surgeon leaves the healing clot intact, keeps the tendon sheath (the layer of membrane around a tendon) closed and pulls the frayed, mop-endlike rupture together without opening the skin.

With our biologic approach, we treat the rupture with a percutaneous technique, which is suture repair through small holes in the skin. This way, we reduce scarring and risk of infection and most importantly, we take advantage of the body's own natural ability to heal itself. In the weeks following the procedure, we speed up the healing process still further by adding an injection of the patient's own blood-derived growth factors, which promote tissue regeneration.

Regardless of the procedure, the strength of the healing tissue varies according to the health and strength of the patient. Whether or not Kobe's tendon has healed strongly enough to bear NBA-level stress is unknown until tested. He has said he hopes to be back on court by November or December. He'll be evaluated near the end of August, after which the Lakers will have a better idea of his return date.

In the meantime, we celebrate Bryant and his doctors' courage to test the limits and we urge anybody who is hurt not to compromise or settle into a rocking chair as Kobe first thought he might have to but to push to become fitter, faster and stronger than they were before they were injured.

Dr. Kevin R. Stone is an orthopedic surgeon at The Stone Clinic and chairman of the Stone Research Foundation in San Francisco. He pioneers advanced orthopedic surgical and rehabilitation techniques to repair, regenerate and replace damaged cartilage and ligaments. For more info, visit www.stoneclinic.com.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/ ... id=2550680
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:44 am

:man3:

Kobe posted a picture of his Achilles surgery with the skin cut open and peeled back. This report indicates that wasn't the case?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:12 am

therealdeal wrote::man3:

Kobe posted a picture of his Achilles surgery with the skin cut open and peeled back. This report indicates that wasn't the case?

No, this guy Stone is touting his own cutting edge approach which sounds different than the approach Kobe's surgeon took.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:25 am

TIME wrote:

No, this guy Stone is touting his own cutting edge approach which sounds different than the approach Kobe's surgeon took.

Oh I see.

That makes more sense. I figured he had some insight on Kobe's surgery and was just giving his opinion on how patients should approach the healing process, but he was mostly plugging his own surgery methods. That's still cool though, do your thing Stone.

I think in Kobe's case, they still opened the skin, but they DID do something different in the Achilles itself. I can't remember it right now, but it struck me as odd.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:41 am

therealdeal wrote:
TIME wrote:

Oh I see.

That makes more sense. I figured he had some insight on Kobe's surgery and was just giving his opinion on how patients should approach the healing process, but he was mostly plugging his own surgery methods. That's still cool though, do your thing Stone.

I think in Kobe's case, they still opened the skin, but they DID do something different in the Achilles itself. I can't remember it right now, but it struck me as odd.

From what I remember (and I'm pretty clueless about this stuff) Klapper talked about them using a Kevlar weave to re-attach the tendon which with the scar would make it much stronger than it was before the injury.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:58 am

There was that, but they also threaded throw the tendon or something like that I think. It struck me as odd because the tendon had just ruptured so I thought putting more holes into it might be bad for the tendon, but they also pointed out that tendons don't usually get a lot of blood flow which makes for a longer healing process. The idea was to maximize blood flow in order to heal faster.

I might be fuzzy on the details of that though.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:55 pm

So Kobe jumped off a 40 foot diving board

Kobe Bryant wrote:If I can run. I can jump #justdoit #40+ #vinovine http://vine.co/v/hiYWqAIuLlB
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Sirron on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:42 pm

:man10:
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:35 am

From gravity treadmill to 40 foot diving board.

Only Kobe.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:48 am

Is a 40 foot fall good for a recovering Achilles? :man10:

I have to think that was a little painful.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:05 am

I really wish 24 would just try to be "normal" and not try stunts like the diving board just to show he's above everyone else physically. Why? I don't want anything happening to his injury for the rest of his life and the upcoming season.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerzkb8 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:23 am

Thats balls right there. 40 foot dive will give a lot of people some jitters, but then factor in the Achilles. Thats a mental hurdle right there that we dont have to worry about with Kobe when hes back on the court. Hes the anti-Derrick Rose.
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'! - Chick Hearn RIP
lakerzkb8

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:41 am

Someone should tell Kob that shark week is over...

#pray4shark
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:12 pm

i wonder if this isn't some sort of psychological training he's doing in order to break through that barrier of trusting his achilles again. so who knows, maybe he's doing crazy stuff to prove to himself that he's okay. :man10:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Someone should tell Kob that shark week is over...

#pray4shark

Jumping the shark? :man1:
LTLakerFan

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion