Would YOU Amnesty Kobe?

Re: Would YOU Amnesty Kobe?

Postby bltkmt on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:02 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:and lose whatever class you have left?

no...he gave you 17yrs of legendary moments and titles...you ran him to the ground...you stick by his side

This.
bltkmt

Postby Weezy on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:05 pm

By my comment you know I don't believe he should, but I also don't think it's a question to be tossed aside or not even asked. Kobe is paid 30.5 mil next season, plus the tax, so what, double that? If he were going to be out all season this is something the FO would have to at least ask themselves.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:00 pm

OK. I think people need to realize that loyalty may not even be an issue. If Jim and Mitch sat down with Kobe and had a conversation of him perhaps sitting next season out to make sure its completely healed (not a horrible idea) then there is no reason NOT to amnesty him. He still gets every dime of that money. If I were Kobe I wouldn't care. If I was considering taking all next season to make sure I was healthy for one last run in 2014, I'd WANT the Lakers to amnesty me so they can maybe retool a bit while I'm gone.

People need to stop looking at this like he'd be getting kicked off the team. If the Lakers, Kobe and the Doctors decided it was in his best interest to sit out all of next season, an amnesty would be better for everyone involved.
Savory Griddles

Postby RushDelivery on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:04 pm

If the Lakers amnesty Kobe, then that opens the door for another team to bid for him and earn his bird rights. That would mean the Lakers wouldn't be able to sign Kobe for anywhere near the salary he would likely want when he comes back, so for that reason alone I don't see this happening.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby Savory Griddles on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:08 pm

RushDelivery wrote:If the Lakers amnesty Kobe, then that opens the door for another team to bid for him and earn his bird rights. That would mean the Lakers wouldn't be able to sign Kobe for anywhere near the salary he would likely want when he comes back, so for that reason alone I don't see this happening.

A team can only bid on him IF he tried to come back next season. He only has has one year on his contract, so once that is done, he can sign again with the Lakers. Bird rights would be gone, but I honestly think Kobe would be OK signing a small contract in 2014. He wasnt going to get a big one anyway because the Lakers are going to try and use that cap room to lure a big fish to place next to Dwight.
Savory Griddles

Postby Shadow on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:09 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:OK. I think people need to realize that loyalty may not even be an issue. If Jim and Mitch sat down with Kobe and had a conversation of him perhaps sitting next season out to make sure its completely healed (not a horrible idea) then there is no reason NOT to amnesty him. He still gets every dime of that money. If I were Kobe I wouldn't care. If I was considering taking all next season to make sure I was healthy for one last run in 2014, I'd WANT the Lakers to amnesty me so they can maybe retool a bit while I'm gone.

People need to stop looking at this like he'd be getting kicked off the team. If the Lakers, Kobe and the Doctors decided it was in his best interest to sit out all of next season, an amnesty would be better for everyone involved.

Why would Kobe be okay in getting amnestied when he wasn't even okay to waive his no trade clause? To benefit the team? This is Jim Buss were talking about not Jerry Buss.

Kobe still wants to be a part of this team, regardless if its on the bench coaching during a game or pushing players to train hard during practice, from his comments, he´s still fully committed to this team and doesn't want to give up on his players. To think that Kobe is going to be OK with JIM BUSS telling him ¨to go home will pay you and will call you back when we need you¨, is quite absurd if you ask me. Specially from someone competitive such as Kobe Bryant.
Last edited by Shadow on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow

Postby RushDelivery on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:20 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:
RushDelivery wrote:If the Lakers amnesty Kobe, then that opens the door for another team to bid for him and earn his bird rights. That would mean the Lakers wouldn't be able to sign Kobe for anywhere near the salary he would likely want when he comes back, so for that reason alone I don't see this happening.

A team can only bid on him IF he tried to come back next season. He only has has one year on his contract, so once that is done, he can sign again with the Lakers. Bird rights would be gone, but I honestly think Kobe would be OK signing a small contract in 2014. He wasnt going to get a big one anyway because the Lakers are going to try and use that cap room to lure a big fish to place next to Dwight.

I don't see anything in the CBA saying teams can't place a bid for an amnestied player who might not be playing in the next season. Since teams can even place a partial bid, I would assume many would try and take a chance with Kobe at least coming back for a small portion of the 2013/14 season.

I also doesn't see Kobe being too happy if the Lakers can only sign him for a relatively small salary. IMO the Lakers are not going to amnesty Kobe.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby hdtvset on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:22 pm

Shadow wrote:I would consider this the betrayal of all betrayals and anyone supporting this amnesty decision should reconsider himself if he´s truly a Laker fan. This thread shouldn't even be open. The guy gives you what no other NBA player would of given you and he gets hurt and what do you do... you dump him? Slap yourself if you want Kobe amnestied.

A true Lakers fan should think the big picture. Is about the Lakers, not Kobe. I am a fan of both. If it benefits on both side and Kobe agreed, I don't see why not. :man11:
hdtvset

Postby DarthRekal on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:30 pm

i would talk to Kobe first.. if he was okay with it.. then I would be.. im an old dog... LOYALTY first..

if we mire in the suck and miss the playoffs next year so be it... we are a classy organization.. but if Kobe's on board and wants to do anything to help the team.. then so be that also
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby S.R.05 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:32 pm

my first instinct is to say not in a million years. because i know if jimmy did decide to go that route it would be shady and without telling kobe beforehand, i.e. pretty much everything he's done lately. the only way i would ever consider it would be if kobe was going to be out for a significant time, agreed to it, and was allowed to re-sign once he was 100% & ready to go. i have no idea if that's even possible within the rules for amnesties
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby TIME on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:48 pm

No, but I would give him a green card.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:35 pm

Only if it's a mutual decision.. If something goes wrong & it looks like Kobe will miss the entire season, there's no reason not to amnesty him. He still gets paid 100% of his salary but we don't pay tax on it. The team could avoid paying tax next season & thus avoid the repeater tax if we spend all our cap room in 14-15 & take on some salary to go back over the tax threshhold. It's only an option if he absolutely can't play next season imo. & Mitch/Jim tell Kobe they're gonna go all out & spend to bring guys in/back in 14/15. But it could be the best strategy to build a really solid team around him & Dwight. Kobe at 36 could still win a couple more rings, he isn't losing much more athleticism.
lakersin4

Postby Pig Miller on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:56 pm

in theory, this may make quite a bit of sense, but you know the guy is going to beat the 6 month expectation. we obviously weren't title contenders this year, so you just hope he's ready to go for next season, or close to the beginning of it.

also, if you amnesty someone, how long before we can re-sign him?
Pig Miller

Postby LakerFanIam on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:OK. I think people need to realize that loyalty may not even be an issue. If Jim and Mitch sat down with Kobe and had a conversation of him perhaps sitting next season out to make sure its completely healed (not a horrible idea) then there is no reason NOT to amnesty him. He still gets every dime of that money. If I were Kobe I wouldn't care. If I was considering taking all next season to make sure I was healthy for one last run in 2014, I'd WANT the Lakers to amnesty me so they can maybe retool a bit while I'm gone.

^^^^ This is realistic... Nobody wants to amnesty Kobe, but there may be a beneficial reason for both Kobe & the Franchise in doing so...
LakerFanIam

Postby Snake Eyes on Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:53 pm

No, absolutely not. Kobe bleeds for this organization. He has always given it his all. He has carried this into playoff contention. Kobe deserves better than an amnesty, even if doing so makes economic sense for the franchise. The Lakers would come off as a classless organization and symbolically it could be seen as the organization doesn't fully support him. The Lakers need to stand by Kobe.
Snake Eyes

Postby noobiew on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:53 am

No way the Lakers are gonna amnesty Kobe, the public PR damage and ramification is just too serious and several for Lakers to even think about to do it, Lakers are a classy organization and you just don't amnesty your franchise legendary player, ever.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Tobias Funke on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:02 am

Maybe it happens, I dont think the plan is for him to miss all of next season, and I dont think he or the Lakers want him in another uniform even for a short period of time.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Psychobroker on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:04 am

This.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Psychobroker on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:08 am

Shadow wrote:

Why would Kobe be okay in getting amnestied when he wasn't even okay to waive his no trade clause? To benefit the team? This is Jim Buss were talking about not Jerry Buss.

Kobe still wants to be a part of this team, regardless if its on the bench coaching during a game or pushing players to train hard during practice, from his comments, he´s still fully committed to this team and doesn't want to give up on his players. To think that Kobe is going to be OK with JIM BUSS telling him ¨to go home will pay you and will call you back when we need you¨, is quite absurd if you ask me. Specially from someone competitive such as Kobe Bryant.

Yes, I'm sure he wants to be a part of a team that fails to make the playoffs, struggles mightily on roller coaster ups and downs, and NOT be able to do anything about it from the sidelines. Even KOBE would likely prefer this team get better while he's gone, not worse. Don't you think?

I look at an amnesty in this situation as merely a sabbatical ... he is on that level with this organization, the Buss family, and Mitch Kupchack. He'd go NO where, but when he'd return, he'll come back to a team with a better shot at winning a chip than if he stuck out the grind sitting on the sidelines.
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Psychobroker on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:11 am

PS Who cares what people think if it's the right thing to do - for both the franchise AND Kobe? Those same fools who would march on Lakers HQ if they amnestied Kobe, would also look like morons once Kobe rejoins the team after Mitch works his magic with the newfound extra capspace.
- John Adams
- Thomas Jefferson
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:13 am

Kamenetzky brothers posted a link to this on twitter as to why Kobe won't be amnestied, makes sense to me

"...Then there's the matter of Bird rights and Kobe's 2014-15 salary. If the Lakers use amnesty on him, they would renounce his Bird rights. So if he doesn't play in 2013-14, the Lakers could not then go above the cap to sign him without using an exception. Assuming the Lakers re-sign Howard after waiving Kobe and do not pawn off Pau for a low-salary package, they would still end up above the tax in the 2014 offseason, meaning that Kobe could sign for only $2.5 million.

Kobe Bryant has a whole lot of money. But does anyone think he's going to play for $2.5 million at any point? No. No no no."

I suspect Ziller is right about the amount for which Kobe will play -- though he would certainly understand the value from a PR and roster construction standpoint by taking so little -- but the bigger thing is the Bird Rights issue (something I wasn't aware of).

It's another impediment in the all-too-neat sounding end scheme to save money next year while Kobe rehabs and then bring him back for the '14-'15 campaign.

There are plenty of other reasons the Lakers wouldn't do it. The PR would be awful, and at least some of the money saved would have to go into protection for Jim Buss and a moat around the training facility. And more importantly, the concept only works if Kobe doesn't play at all next year.

Mitch Kupchak told reporters he believes Opening Night is "a reasonable goal" for Kobe. But even if it's New Year's Day or the All-Star Break, you'd have to be insane to believe Kobe would agree to sit out whatever time remains in the 2013-14 season so the Lakers can save (admittedly a ton of) money.

Not going to happen.

I suspect as the weeks go on and we hear more about Kobe's recovery and timeline, amnesty talk will die down. In the meantime, Ziller gives one more reason to believe it won't happen.

--BK
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:51 pm

Kobe's not going to bust his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] to be ready to play for at the least a half season or very conceivably much more than that, just so he can sit. And he could be claimed by another team and have to go. And the Bird rights being lost with what that means come time to sign him the following year. Just not going to happen.
LTLakerFan

Postby karacha on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Oh, Kobe would not sit. He would work very hard, come to practice, coach, etc... he would not just stay at home.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:41 pm

I had suspected the part about losing Bird rights and being unable to resign in 2014 for more than mini-MLE. So it ain't happening unless Kobe is totally on board with doing it.

If Kobe was open to the idea anyway despite the Bird rights drawback, the decision would have to be taken by July 9 as that is the last day to file an amnesty request. That is less than 3 months away, wonder how hard would it be to make that decision based on his fitness at the time. While the goal of opening exists and is probably realistic, there exists the possibility it will take him a lot longer to regain his old form, maybe the entire season. And that he might be better off if he were to take the entire season off. Dunno, these are questions for time from now.

No doubt it would solve a lot of financial issues for the team were he to do it. But does not mean he has to or that the team will make him. Appears Mitch has made the team's stand clear as it's not likely he would say it unless he had Jimmy's backing for it (and probably Jeanie's as well). So it has to come from Kobe and it has to come by July 9. Highly doubt it will happen. Still a difficult summer nonetheless as D12 has to take his own decision on staying or going. Worse case scenario: Gasol goes via amnesty, D12 goes via FA, Kobe gone for an entire season, perhaps Nash retires as he doesn't want any part of this. Could be a considerably different outcome, would Kobe want to come back to another rebuild?

Must remember however that the Lakers still have to do something about the payroll if they are going to avoid the $85m lux tax hit as they are not likely to be championship contenders which would cover a lot of financial holes. This favors letting Gasol go via amnesty rather than via trade, bringing Clark back and relying on Hill and possibly Sacre as backups. Would also help if MWP were to opt out and resign for same money over more years.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby JSM on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:29 pm

No and the reasons are --

1) The 6-9 month timetable for a return. Yeah, there's always a chance for a setback or even after the recovery and all the rehab, Kobe just can't go.
2) The Lakers are not the Boston Celtics. Even with some of the off-putting moves they've made in the past couple years, I would think that not even Jimbo is slimy enough to pull the trigger on this one.
3) If the Lakers could drop him and pick him up the following season, that might make a little bit of sense but there's too much preventing that from being a realistic possibility. Kobe's not playing for under $3m nor should he.
4) You're preventing Kobe from using team resources and the team facility during his recovery. Sure Kobe has other resources (Grover, Germany, etc) but that's definitely would be a setback for him.
5) Just having him around the team will be beneficial for his teammates. Seeing his dedication and working his butt off to get back can't help but motivate them to give it all they have, too. Then depending on how involved he'll be, there's always the chance of us having the best unofficial head coach on the sidelines we've had since Phil left. I know it's not coming out of my pockets, but I think paying $30m for a competent coach is a worthwhile investment at this point...maybe I'm just that desperate after pounding my head against the wall watching MDA suck in every facet of coaching.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion