Would YOU Amnesty Kobe?

Re: Would YOU Amnesty Kobe?

Postby dj vitus on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:37 pm

I think we can lock this thread now.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby odom1year on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:07 pm

No...finally Kobe can take a rest to heal his injuries. I expect a strong come back from Kobe like MJ's 1st time come back.
odom1year

Postby snackdaddy on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:09 pm

Kobe's not going to be amnestied. For one, it would be a terrible PR move. Plus, when he comes back imagine the buzz its going to create if they're fighting for the playoffs. The Lakers have more fans than any team. I imagine the fans who are on the fence with the Lakers would be very impressed to see ownership showing loyalty. So would any potential free agent.
snackdaddy

Postby Finwë on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:54 pm

odom1year wrote:No...finally Kobe can take a rest to heal his injuries. I expect a strong come back from Kobe like MJ's 1st time come back.

if not even this guy wants to do it, then I say lock the thread...........
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:59 pm

Finwë wrote:
odom1year wrote:No...finally Kobe can take a rest to heal his injuries. I expect a strong come back from Kobe like MJ's 1st time come back.

if not even this guy wants to do it, then I say lock the thread...........

:man10: :man10:

seriously there's nothing more to be said
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:24 am

After reading the K-Brothers bit, I'm obviously less for this idea.

If we couldn't bring him back for a reasonable salary, then it wouldn't make sense. And JSM brings up the great point that if we amnesty him, then Kobe loses some access to Laker facilities.

Okay. I'm off this train.

But understand next season is going to be a HELL of a lot harder because of Kobe's salary eating the Buss' wallets.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Weezy wrote:Kamenetzky brothers posted a link to this on twitter as to why Kobe won't be amnestied, makes sense to me

"...Then there's the matter of Bird rights and Kobe's 2014-15 salary. If the Lakers use amnesty on him, they would renounce his Bird rights. So if he doesn't play in 2013-14, the Lakers could not then go above the cap to sign him without using an exception. Assuming the Lakers re-sign Howard after waiving Kobe and do not pawn off Pau for a low-salary package, they would still end up above the tax in the 2014 offseason, meaning that Kobe could sign for only $2.5 million.

Kobe Bryant has a whole lot of money. But does anyone think he's going to play for $2.5 million at any point? No. No no no."

I suspect Ziller is right about the amount for which Kobe will play -- though he would certainly understand the value from a PR and roster construction standpoint by taking so little -- but the bigger thing is the Bird Rights issue (something I wasn't aware of).

It's another impediment in the all-too-neat sounding end scheme to save money next year while Kobe rehabs and then bring him back for the '14-'15 campaign.

There are plenty of other reasons the Lakers wouldn't do it. The PR would be awful, and at least some of the money saved would have to go into protection for Jim Buss and a moat around the training facility. And more importantly, the concept only works if Kobe doesn't play at all next year.

Mitch Kupchak told reporters he believes Opening Night is "a reasonable goal" for Kobe. But even if it's New Year's Day or the All-Star Break, you'd have to be insane to believe Kobe would agree to sit out whatever time remains in the 2013-14 season so the Lakers can save (admittedly a ton of) money.

Not going to happen.

I suspect as the weeks go on and we hear more about Kobe's recovery and timeline, amnesty talk will die down. In the meantime, Ziller gives one more reason to believe it won't happen.

--BK
Not accurate.. If he gets amnestied & comes back in 14-15 we have noone under contract except Nash, Howard?, Clark?, Hill?. & any long term contracts Mitch hands out next season (doubt there will be any). There's also the possibility Nash is gone by then via trade or retirement. We'd be able to sign a max FA & then some.. If we're taking fit into account, we sign a 2nd tier SF for around 12M per year, contract starts around 10M & we still have another 10 or so for Kobe (& Pau?)
lakersin4

Postby retro_nights on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:12 pm

none of us are paying the bills - why would we want them to amnesty one of the greatest lakers.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby Weezy on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:17 pm

It comes down to this for me, why wouldn't another team bid on him after he's amnestied? And if he comes back midseason then he has to play for that team. Can you imagine Kobe Bryant, one of the greatest Lakers ever, having to come back and play for some lottery team probably still not quite himself yet, for half a season? How strange would that be, how bad woud that look for the Lakers, how sad would it look to see Kobe like that. I don't want to see it happen. Sure he could just come back after the season is over, but man that'd be worse than seeing MJ in a Wizards uniform, I'd like to see Kobe stay here, rehab with us, and come back whenever he can.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Weezy wrote:It comes down to this for me, why wouldn't another team bid on him after he's amnestied? And if he comes back midseason then he has to play for that team. Can you imagine Kobe Bryant, one of the greatest Lakers ever, having to come back and play for some lottery team probably still not quite himself yet, for half a season? How strange would that be, how bad woud that look for the Lakers, how sad would it look to see Kobe like that. I don't want to see it happen. Sure he could just come back after the season is over, but man that'd be worse than seeing MJ in a Wizards uniform, I'd like to see Kobe stay here, rehab with us, and come back whenever he can.

watch the Clippers bid for him...i would stop watching basketball for a while
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby kblo247 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:54 pm

Lets just put this into perspective.

The Mavs and Rockets have the money to make a bid. They can even make a bid on Kobe and outright sign Dwight too. Think about this for a second.

If you're Dwight and you're pitched a healthy Kobe returning in December by those teams because he's Kobe and will kill himself to get back and explore even going to Germany.

Would you not sign with Dallas to play with Dirk, Kobe, and possibly more talent over this team?

Would you not sign with Houston to play with Kobe, Harden, Lin, Asik, Parsons?

You know what those teams would say, if they amnestied Kobe who gave them 17 years and played so hard to he gave everything, what happens to you when your back goes out again and you don't even have a NTC, will they ditch you aside?

Would you not leave LA and play in your hometown Atlanta with your best friend Josh Smith, Al Horford, and Kobe who they have all the cap space in the world to bid on while maxing you out thus giving you even more years to compete?

There's the chance the Bulls can make room to bid as they still have their amnesty. Tell Kobe play with Rosé, Deng, and Noah and bring a ring to the team for the first time since MJ and we will appreciate you, and you don't think his competive juices will flow.

The Griz can shed a deal and bid. Play with Zach, Marc, and Conley. Don't forget they signed Iverson and arenas to make money in the past so its always plausible. Not to mention Zach and Marc and Conley all have had better years than Dwight, Pau, and Nash.

The Spurs still have their amnesty. They can bid. Finish your career with Tim and Tony. Be coached by Pop who he knows will prep his minutes all year. Be part of a team that drafts well. Be part of a team with a coach who manages minutes, gets good role players, draft well, and with a winning history too.

After we skip those teams you have to face the fact the Bobcats, Jazz, Wolves, Raptors, Cavs, Hornets, Blazers, Magic, Bucks, and Sixers will all bid on him. Kobe is the best draw in the league. Any gm who doesn't at least place a minimum bid deserves to be fired whether he plays or not because you can sell his image and likeness, his jerseys, etc. Thats business reality! If you get him the fact is you will market him and no matter how he feels, the lakers will have slapped him across the face and spit on his legacy when you see his face and image on other team merch, his name on other jerseys, him superimposed and legally obligated to take part in other teams commercials. By allowing that to happen and that will be the pr backlash of all backlashes.

Worst thing is that whoever bids on him will still have LA paying most his salary to either sit at home and make a team millions off merchandising and not be able to make any themselves next year if the team is bad.

Even worse is if its the Spurs, Bulls, Griz that get him because their rotations are better than LA and la would pay to put him in a better situation. A situation where he can't reasonably just sit out after healing when the best doctors there are say he is to be ready by December.

Worst scenario of all is Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta because Dwight could very well join Kobe on any of those teams and compete for many more years to come accumulating rings. You don't think Dwight would follow him? The same Dwight who has been the only player to visit him everyday more than once since he got hurt. The same Dwight crying. The same Dwight who could leave the la market and not have to deal with their press yet would get to play with Kobe/Dirk, Kobe/Harden/Parsons/Asik/Lin, or Kobe/Horford/Smith!

Have I even mentioned kobe loses all access to laker facilities which means Vitti and the like so you're basically alienating him by exiling him for a year and saying please be cool with us treating you like an outcast, its just the rules

Amnestying Kobe is to be blunt the plant of a dumbass (red Forman voice)
kblo247

Postby jodhus on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:56 pm

No. In addition to all the reasons that you guys have posted, amestying Kobe will...

1. Tarnish our reputation as THE destination of choice for the aspiring free agents.
2. Will have to watch Kobe go sign with another team only for him to come back as the visitor to drop 50+ or sink a game winner on us...
=======================================
Don't eat yellow snow
jodhus

Postby hdtvset on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:47 pm

The Lakers are going to be a worst team next year than this. They need to cut salary to avoid the heavy tax. Most likely they will cut Pau or trade him for less value player. Do you think Kobe really want to play his last contract with the Lakers, probably the last of his career on this sub .500 team and not making the playoff? Kobe may change his mind and ask the Lakers to let him go, so he can win his 6th ring with other club. Not that I want to see it happen, but is possible.
hdtvset

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:07 am

Weezy wrote:It comes down to this for me, why wouldn't another team bid on him after he's amnestied? And if he comes back midseason then he has to play for that team. Can you imagine Kobe Bryant, one of the greatest Lakers ever, having to come back and play for some lottery team probably still not quite himself yet, for half a season? How strange would that be, how bad woud that look for the Lakers, how sad would it look to see Kobe like that. I don't want to see it happen. Sure he could just come back after the season is over, but man that'd be worse than seeing MJ in a Wizards uniform, I'd like to see Kobe stay here, rehab with us, and come back whenever he can.

The way it worked in my mind: he'd tell them he's recovering and couldn't play yet. In all honestly, they can talk about shooting for opening day all they want, he won't be nearly the same player for a year. So even if/when he comes back next season he's going to look like crap for most of the season. Then he's going to look like an old man with a torn achilles for the rest of the season. If he's ever going to look like anything resembling what we know as Kobe Bryant it won't be until probably March or April of next year. And I don't see him returning if he can't at least do SOME of the things he's used to.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lachamp on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Only if Kobe giving permission for it.
lachamp

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:22 pm

therealdeal wrote:

The way it worked in my mind: he'd tell them he's recovering and couldn't play yet. In all honestly, they can talk about shooting for opening day all they want, he won't be nearly the same player for a year. So even if/when he comes back next season he's going to look like crap for most of the season. Then he's going to look like an old man with a torn achilles for the rest of the season. If he's ever going to look like anything resembling what we know as Kobe Bryant it won't be until probably March or April of next year. And I don't see him returning if he can't at least do SOME of the things he's used to.

Wow this is a pessimistic prediction I must say I don't share at all. You're just being like Simers, right, the joke baiting of the Mamba to piss him off....the "fuel" thing....right?
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:19 am

No, not at all. This is under the realization that he won't be the same ever, but he really won't be close until about a year from the injury. Recovery time is 6-9 months, but that doesn't include conditioning for the NBA, feel for the game, and rhythm. He won't be nearly the same player next season.

In a year? I think that's a different story.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion