Xavier Henry Discussion: X Man

Re: Xavier Henry Discussion: X Man

Postby Uncle Drew on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Nick Young is ball stopper, and in these first 3 games he was awful, Xavier deserve to start, let's see how will this affect on him, one thing i know, i am so happy for him, this has been great story so far for Xavier, coming here for minimum playing his *** of for roster spot and now he is starting, this could only boost up his confidence even more, i like it, nice move by MDA.
And maybe this will hit Nick Young to play better, this could be nice little competition for starting position between Xavier and Nick :D
KobeBryant
#vamos #juntos #lakercorazon #vino
Uncle Drew

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:18 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
The Rock wrote:Henry and Farmar have a nice thing going why would you wanna split em up. Oh well

Farmar and Young actually do have a good rapport as well. But I really would prefer to keep Young in the starting lineup at the 2 and have Johnson play SF until Kobe returns. Blake/Nash in at the top is pretty terrible as expected.

I would say they've been much MORE terrible than expected. No one knew Nash would be this limited.

But either way, you're getting your wish LJ. Here's Xavier in the first unit.

Kind of. But not really. It's too premature in my opinion. In fact the context is exactly OPPOSITE of what I want to see. My point about grooming X at the SF position was to do it with Kobe in the lineup and see if he could develop more of an all around type game that fits with the veterans. I DON'T want him to just continue in the scoring guy mode - substituting in for Young and playing the same role.

First, now is the time to stop experimenting with Johnson at the 4. It's dumb. Here's an opportunity to break up the horror show of Nash/Blake. I've always hated Blake at the 2. He's too small on D, and he just isn't a good enough scoring option.

And to be truthful I think it's a little demoralizing to Young to go back to the bench already before Kobe's back. Three games is not a good enough sample size. I don't like how reactionary D' Antoni gets in some of these decisions.

Damn. Perfect opp to get Johnson integrated at 3, Young at 2 for better and more scoring, and Henry to continue to grow with the bench unit until Kobe comes back. Instead we're rushing the kid into the spotlight as a main scorer in my opinion and not doing a whole lot more for the starting lineup in any other respect.
Lakerjones

Postby therealdeal on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Yeah maybe. It's strange that D'Antoni still hasn't had his rotations set. I don't know he's not even trying the obvious rotations the way we're talking about.

I definitely wish we'd see less Blake at the two. He just doesn't fit. Especially not as well as someone like Young or Johnson.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:43 pm

therealdeal wrote:Yeah maybe. It's strange that D'Antoni still hasn't had his rotations set. I don't know he's not even trying the obvious rotations the way we're talking about.

I definitely wish we'd see less Blake at the two. He just doesn't fit. Especially not as well as someone like Young or Johnson.

Totally agree. I think D' Antoni gets trapped into ideas that don't always fit. He wants to go small pretty much always as a rule. And it doesn't really fit this roster.

The players we have actually fit pretty darn well if they play their natural positions. Examples:

Starting lineup:
Nash if he can go, Blake a pretty quick sub in at 1 with the rest of the starters by 5 minutes in
Young
Johnson
Williams or Hill I don't care which
Pau

That leaves the bench unit:
Farmar
Meeks
Henry
Hill or Williams
Kaman

That all makes perfect sense. I don't see what's so hard about it. If you can't win with that, then you can't win but at least it fits the strengths of the individuals on the roster and should give you the best results.

I feel like D' Antoni is just stuck in this thing in his head - got to go small with Johnson at 4, Blake at the 2. I don't think it serves the players.
Lakerjones

Postby therealdeal on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:45 pm

I agree.

What's even weirder though is that those two rosters fit his mentality MORE of being able to run and get up the floor a little. I don't know why he won't consider them...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:53 pm

therealdeal wrote:I agree.

What's even weirder though is that those two rosters fit his mentality MORE of being able to run and get up the floor a little. I don't know why he won't consider them...

It's bizarre and very frustrating for me. The only thing I can figure out is that in his mind he is totally stuck on some things and isn't looking at what's really going on. He seems to be in love with the small ball thing - loves playing Blake at the 2 despite how much it sucks, loves to put in three guards even, loves to try to fit Johnson in as some kind of stretch 4 when he's clearly a SF, and HATES to play Hill at all costs. All of this is holding this team back from playing their optimal ball. Do you think he's tanking on purpose? I mean how do you not see this? It seems like basketball 101.
Lakerjones

Postby Barnstable on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Not liking X starting right now. Young has been bad, but I don't agree you pull him after just 3 games. I would wait at least 5 or so before making a move like this. X was already doing excellent, so I don't see what you get out of a move like this.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:32 pm

Barnstable wrote:Not liking X starting right now. Young has been bad, but I don't agree you pull him after just 3 games. I would wait at least 5 or so before making a move like this. X was already doing excellent, so I don't see what you get out of a move like this.

Agreed.
Lakerjones

Postby charvin on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:53 pm

therealdeal wrote:I agree.

A case of D'Antoni trying to outsmart himself.
charvin

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Young was erratic in the preseason as well...an 11 game sample size is enough IMO to make a change, especially since he has given us NO value beyond the few moments when he has made a shot. Xavier makes plays to spark the team, even when he misses, and he puts pressure on the interior of the defense. He is also a more reliable ball hander and decision maker.

Between Xavier and Meeks (right now at least, stay tuned on this one) I am not sure how much time we should waste on Young right now...We have Johnson, who can play the 2 and 3, and there is just no reason to play Young over Johnson, since they are both erratic unreliable shooters who get hot 1/4 of the time and otherwise always badly miss, so at least we have size, length and mismatches with Wes at the 2 or 3...Young is soft and lazy.

I honestly prefer Blake over Young right now, as Blake can at least make his open threes 35% to 40% of the time...not so with Young. This decision is the right one, now if he can just de-activate Nash, start Farmar, Hill and Wes with Pau and X...THEN we have a promising young team.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby kobe_mamba on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:30 pm

I think this is a good move. A strong move by D'Antoni.

We have a deep roster with guys capable of playing and being flexible in terms of position, contribution, etc. We have also lost 2 games on the trot and Young has had a lot of opportunity in the pre-season and in this very short Regular Season to date. He may need a change.

X-Man on the other hand deserves the opportunity. He does a lot more than Young does at this stage and creates play on the court and hustles a lot more on both ends.
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
kobe_mamba

Postby Weezy on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:03 pm

He was really good as a starter tonight, better than Young has been for sure.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:04 pm

18pt on 5-11 shooting, 2-4 3pt,.... I'll take it
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:16 pm

Weezy wrote:He was really good as a starter tonight, better than Young has been for sure.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby revgen on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Weezy wrote:He was really good as a starter tonight, better than Young has been for sure.

+1

Having the only two guys (Farmar and Xavier) who can penetrate consistently coming off the bench doesn't make any sense. With Xavier, we have a penetrater for the starting unit. Young provides a nice drive and dish player for Farmar. Xavier also improves our perimeter defense for the starters over Young.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby last stand on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:42 pm

Has to keep the same aggressive play when Kobe comes back. That's when I'm worried
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:44 pm

revgen wrote:

+1

Having the only two guys (Farmar and Xavier) who can penetrate consistently coming off the bench doesn't make any sense. With Xavier, we have a penetrater for the starting unit. Young provides a nice drive and dish player for Farmar. Xavier also improves our perimeter defense for the starters over Young.

^^ Well said, Revgen.
Lakerjones

Postby wallangong on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:42 am

is it weird that i wanted the offense to go through him in crunch time? :man11:
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:45 am

if he continues his good play we might have a core player. D' Antoni has a knack in discovering gems from garbage heaps
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:14 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:if he continues his good play we might have a core player. D' Antoni has a knack in discovering gems from garbage heaps

Mitch has that ability.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby KB24 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:16 am

looks like a real steal, especially with his age.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Manve77 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:51 am

X is a fighter. Hope he can keep it up. :jam2:
Spartak Moscow. Lakers. Penguins. Liverpool. Lazio. Barcelona. River Plate.
Manve77

Postby halekulani on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:16 am

i cant wait for him to start w/ kobe

his confidence is high right now, and kobe will only make him more wide open
halekulani

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:19 am

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:if he continues his good play we might have a core player. D' Antoni has a knack in discovering gems from garbage heaps

Mitch has that ability.

So does D'Antoni. D'Antoni and his offense have given plenty of guys careers when they might not have had one before.

As for Henry, he played really well. I'm glad he's thriving. I'd like to see him work on his jumper a little more. He can get to the basket, he can catch and shoot, the next step is creating for himself off the dribble. Step backs, one dribble pull-ups, that sort of thing. The problem is that his jump shot has a little bit of hitch in it when he takes it off the dribble. He needs to keep working on that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Slurpee22 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:30 am

Realdeal - do you think the Grizzles gave up on Xavier to early? the guy looks primed to have a breakout year.
Slurpee22

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion