Xavier Henry Discussion: X Man

Re: Xavier Henry Discussion: X Man

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:53 am

therealdeal wrote:I just don't agree that it's not built for him, LJ. It is, he's just not using it correctly anyway.

The lineups you want him to run or the lineup that I came up with around here IS built for him. It CAN run his system of basketball which is high paced, take all open shots, and push both ends of the court.

He just hasn't seen it.

It could definitely work a whole lot better than how he's choosing to use the pieces, realdeal, no argument on that! Whether it's ideal or not, I don't know. Who would know with the lineups he's running out there? The second unit for the most part is working just fine. But man, those starting lineups are just terrible.

Again, I don't know why he hates Hill so much. Has forever now. Don't know why he thinks Blake can play the 2, he can't. Don't know why he wants to force Johnson to be a PF when he's a SF. I knew that Kaman might be a problem for him to integrate. He's a real 5!

This guy better change his ways or we're in for some unwatchable, not fun, basketball until Kobe returns.
Lakerjones

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:05 am

Yep, this is the part that frustrates me. Mitch goes out on a budget and gets us EXACTLY the kind of guys we needed -- that he needed. Young, athletic shooters with potential. And he can't seem to make it work now.

The argument last year was a roster unfit for D'Antoni. It was injuries. It was Dwight. It was almost having Phil. It was no training camp. Now this pinhead has EXACTLY the kind of roster he wants and we're playing his kind of ball. And still losing. Badly.

While the verdict is out on the season, one thing is clear. Even with his kind of roster, he will always try to fit a square peg in a round hole. We're still a pathetic defensive team. And Wes Johnson is not Shawn Marion.

I'd be fine with our roster for this season if it were utilized correctly. What's the excuse now?
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:14 am

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I just don't agree that it's not built for him, LJ. It is, he's just not using it correctly anyway.

The lineups you want him to run or the lineup that I came up with around here IS built for him. It CAN run his system of basketball which is high paced, take all open shots, and push both ends of the court.

He just hasn't seen it.

It could definitely work a whole lot better than how he's choosing to use the pieces, realdeal, no argument on that! Whether it's ideal or not, I don't know. Who would know with the lineups he's running out there? The second unit for the most part is working just fine. But man, those starting lineups are just terrible.

Again, I don't know why he hates Hill so much. Has forever now. Don't know why he thinks Blake can play the 2, he can't. Don't know why he wants to force Johnson to be a PF when he's a SF. I knew that Kaman might be a problem for him to integrate. He's a real 5!

This guy better change his ways or we're in for some unwatchable, not fun, basketball until Kobe returns.

I think Blake is the one that is really just puzzling to me. He's not a better scorer than Henry. He's not a better defender than Henry. He's not a better shooter than either of them to this point in the season. His ceiling is extremely low compared to the other two. The one thing he does better than those two is move the ball. That's it. But most of his passes are inconsequential anyway. Post entry passes and such, but who can't do that?

The only thing I can think of is that he's trying to get him some value for a trade?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:28 am

Real, MDA's mentality has always been to "play ball our way and make them adjust". He's been on the record saying stuff like this to his teams. He believes if we stick to his game plan and execute well, the mismatches will work in our favor -- teams will have to go small to keep up with us. When it works, it works. Like against the Clippers. After seeing our next few games it seems the Clippers probably just came out rusty. While we had the adrenaline and were able to hit our shots.

Even if it were a trade value thing (which I know it isn't), that still doesn't explain playing Johnson at the 4, not giving Hill minutes, and still doesn't explain why Farmar isn't being utilized more.
Chillbongo

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:54 am

Chillbongo wrote:Real, MDA's mentality has always been to "play ball our way and make them adjust". He's been on the record saying stuff like this to his teams. He believes if we stick to his game plan and execute well, the mismatches will work in our favor -- teams will have to go small to keep up with us. When it works, it works. Like against the Clippers. After seeing our next few games it seems the Clippers probably just came out rusty. While we had the adrenaline and were able to hit our shots.

Even if it were a trade value thing (which I know it isn't), that still doesn't explain playing Johnson at the 4, not giving Hill minutes, and still doesn't explain why Farmar isn't being utilized more.

^^ Exactly. This is not to showcase a trade this early in the season, real. This is just D' Antoni being D' Antoni. This isn't the first time he's tried playing the two Steve's together. He did it last year at times as well, especially in the second quarter. It's just a bad idea that he's running with, insisting on small ball. The other personnel decisions all coincide with being stuck on small ball as well.
Lakerjones

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:23 pm

It was just an idea guys. :man10:

And Blake is listed at 6'4" probably closer to 6'2" or 6'3"... What mismatch are we taking advantage of? Since when is having a smaller guy who isn't fast or athletic better than a bigger guy who is? :man10:

If it's that obvious to us then SOMEONE on the staff has to see that too.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:41 pm

We are slowly starting to see just how one dimensional Henry is and he simply can't hit FT's :bang:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:34 pm

I don't think X is one dimensional. I think he's the best young talent we have and we are not developing him now apparently. Young is one dimensional and he was better served coming off the bench. He's been doing next to nothing with the starters. X brings energy, some defense, penetration, dishing and finishing. Plus some mid-range shooting. What he can't do apparently is make free throws, which IS a problem for sure. He really needs to work on that. In the meantime, I'd rather see X back out there with the starters than Young right now.
Lakerjones

Postby Ras Algethi on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:15 am

He hasn't done much of any thing lately. He's got to finish when attacking the rim and actually hit hits fts.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:15 am

his bad free throw shooting negates his strength...driving to the basket and drawing fouls. he needs to get on that...
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:26 am

He's the focal point of the opposing defense, which is going to take some time for him to adjust and evolve. Very few players in the league can create offense for themselves against a defense that has planned to stop them. It takes a bonafide star to be able to do that.

X may not ever get there. MDA needs to at least draw up some plays for him.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby borri on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:50 am

Lakerjones wrote:I don't think X is one dimensional. I think he's the best young talent we have and we are not developing him now apparently. Young is one dimensional and he was better served coming off the bench. He's been doing next to nothing with the starters. X brings energy, some defense, penetration, dishing and finishing. Plus some mid-range shooting. What he can't do apparently is make free throws, which IS a problem for sure. He really needs to work on that. In the meantime, I'd rather see X back out there with the starters than Young right now.

I think Wes is the best young talent we have. Wes' athleticism is off the charts for a guy of his stature. But then again, that's what we said about Gump. So who knows.

X hasn't impressed me much.
borri

Postby revgen on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:57 am

I don't have a problem with X if he doesn't finish well with his right hand.

What I have a problem with is that he doesn't even try to finish with the right hand when the defense is taking away the left hand. LO would at least try to finish with his right hand even if he wasn't successful. X needs to adopt the same mentality.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:32 am

revgen wrote:I don't have a problem with X if he doesn't finish well with his right hand.

What I have a problem with is that he doesn't even try to finish with the right hand when the defense is taking away the left hand. LO would at least try to finish with his right hand even if he wasn't successful. X needs to adopt the same mentality.

That is a good point.
Lakerjones

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:36 am

borri wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:I don't think X is one dimensional. I think he's the best young talent we have and we are not developing him now apparently. Young is one dimensional and he was better served coming off the bench. He's been doing next to nothing with the starters. X brings energy, some defense, penetration, dishing and finishing. Plus some mid-range shooting. What he can't do apparently is make free throws, which IS a problem for sure. He really needs to work on that. In the meantime, I'd rather see X back out there with the starters than Young right now.

I think Wes is the best young talent we have. Wes' athleticism is off the charts for a guy of his stature. But then again, that's what we said about Gump. So who knows.

I think Wes is a nice young athlete as well. I don't like that he's being groomed as a 4 at all though personally. I would like to seem developed as a three.

X has impressed me. The guy has a lot of talent as shown already this pre-season and season: 29 point, 6 rebound game in his first game in uni, 22 point scoring effort career high in game one of the season and an 18 point game when he got a shot as a starter. I don't see what's not impressive about that, but hey, that's me.

Both of them are good young players that we could be developing, but I would prefer that they be in the starting lineup right now.
Lakerjones

Postby Barnstable on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:43 pm

revgen wrote:I don't have a problem with X if he doesn't finish well with his right hand.

He has tried to finish with his right. I've seen it multiple times, but he's a work in progress. Can't compare what is essentially a rookie to LO prime.

lakerswhyunowin wrote:his bad free throw shooting negates his strength...driving to the basket and drawing fouls. he needs to get on that...

He's still getting the other team players in foul trouble, leading them to the bench earlier, and leading to the team being out of fouls for the quarter. What's more of a problem is that he's been more hesitant to attack the rim since teams are now targeting him on defense.

I think a lot of that will be helped once Kobe comes back and can work with him on the court.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
borri wrote:

I think Wes is a nice young athlete as well. I don't like that he's being groomed as a 4 at all though personally. I would like to seem developed as a three.

X has impressed me. The guy has a lot of talent as shown already this pre-season and season: 29 point, 6 rebound game in his first game in uni, 22 point scoring effort career high in game one of the season and an 18 point game when he got a shot as a starter. I don't see what's not impressive about that, but hey, that's me.

Both of them are good young players that we could be developing, but I would prefer that they be in the starting lineup right now.

My red flag for players is whether they can consistently finish at the rim without bricking or getting blocked, especially for a player who slashes and gets to the bucket. This is part of the game where either you have it or you don't. This is more or less instinctual than learned.

A J, you can learn to be good at. Finishing at the rim is another animal. X bricks or gets blocked too much for my liking.
borri

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:35 pm

poor ex-teammate

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Jon on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:41 pm

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Jon

Postby Weezy on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:49 pm

That dunk was sick, that was the first time I jumped outta my seat this season and yelled "OHHH!". Great game overall for him as well.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:49 pm

Dude takes off with 2 feet from the dotted line. That's impressive.

Reminds me of this play by this one guy a bit.

The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:51 pm

Best game for what seems like awhile...hit the jumpshots, attacked, etc...just try to remain consistent, please...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:52 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:poor ex-teammate

So unimpressive. Just can't finish at all.
Lakerjones

Postby Barnstable on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:58 pm

Ras Algethi wrote:Dude takes off with 2 feet from the dotted line. That's impressive.

Reminds me of this play by this one guy a bit.

My favorite dunk ever :bow:

But X was great tonight. 15 pts on 6-8, 3-3pt, with 3 steals.

He does have offensive tendencies, but you can already tell he's trying to switch things up a little when he drives trying to go right more often. Plus he had some nice defensive moments tonight as well
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:10 pm

Pause the X dunk at 32-33 seconds and look at the tool in the gray shirt. Did he not get held enough as a child?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion