Xavier Henry Discussion: Xmin

Re: Xavier Henry Discussion

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:28 am

karacha wrote:One thing is pretty obvious: the kid has that modern NBA physique. If he can body up Iggy like that, he's pretty strong. That alone is worth something.

^^ Agreed. He's strong and athletic. And he can get his own. I'll tell you, if he keeps playing well I think he might fit on this squad as a starting SF.

I'm not sure I want to see Young out there with the starters at the 3. He needs the ball too much and he's a little too out of control. I don't think he's going to mesh well with Kobe. He's a ball stopper.

I love the idea of Young coming off the bench as the go to scorer. We've really been needing that kind of role player for some time, and I think Young is a great candidate. He's got one thing on his mind and that's scoring. But I don't feel like we need that in the starting lineup, especially at the three. Plus he plays no D and that will hurt the starting lineup at SF.

Let Henry, Johnson and Williams battle it out for time at the three. But I could really see Henry standing out there as the guy.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:46 pm

"Offensive genius" D'Antoni has some work to do to shuffle the sg/sf deck to figure out the best rotations and combinations because we have a handful of guys that all should get time, assuming Henry keeps up the production.

Kobe, Henry, Young, and Johnson can all play the 2 and 3.
Blake can play the 1 and 2, but IMO, Farmar should be getting most of the PG minutes, so that leaves Blake at the 2.

After last night, Blake and Johnson seem to be the odd men out, but with guaranteed roster spots, will they be allowed to rot on the bench because Henry earned his lunch?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:53 pm

Punk-101 wrote:"Offensive genius" D'Antoni has some work to do to shuffle the sg/sf deck to figure out the best rotations and combinations because we have a handful of guys that all should get time, assuming Henry keeps up the production.

Kobe, Henry, Young, and Johnson can all play the 2 and 3.
Blake can play the 1 and 2, but IMO, Farmar should be getting most of the PG minutes, so that leaves Blake at the 2.

After last night, Blake and Johnson seem to be the odd men out, but with guaranteed roster spots, will they be allowed to rot on the bench because Henry earned his lunch?

Agreed. It's a bit of a weird squad actually. What are we doing at the 4, too? We're thin as can be there. We're overloaded on PG's, SG's and Centers. We have guys who COULD play the three, but none of them look like starters by a long ways except for possibly Henry so far. But I want to see Johnson actually play at the three before I dismiss him - theoretically he could be a decent fit at SF. He's definitely not suited for the four.

Regarding Blake and Farmar - I agree with you, I prefer Farmar at PG and personally I HATE Blake at SG. Too small to guard the opposition usually. I'd like to see Blake moved at the tradeline for Cap relief, either a TPE or picks or something.
Last edited by Lakerjones on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Well the good thing is that the only guaranteed starters are Nash, Gasol, and Kobe. I think Xavier will earn a bench spot. It would be great if he ended up being a find, but I'm banking on him fizzling out. We saw a bit of this with Clark last season, in a different way. I think Johnson will end up earning a starting spot.

Nash/Farmar/Blake
Kobe/Young/Blake
Johnson/Henry/Young
Hill/Kelly/Henry?
Gasol/Kaman
Chillbongo

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:02 pm

^^ Perhaps - but let's see Johnson actually play some SF first before we say he's beating out Henry. From what I've seen so far, I think Henry is a much better fit. He's hustling out there and isn't afraid to do some things aggressively on the floor offensively. I could see him fitting in nicely with the starters as a kind of all purpose spark plug 3. I bet they could get him moving off ball - he seems to have a good idea of where to go on the floor and he could be cutting and receiving passes from Gasol/Nash in the lane. He's not afraid to take it inside.

Young CAN do those things, but he tends to be a black hole. I think he'd be much better served as the primary scorer for the bench.

I don't think Henry will be playing any 4. Maybe Williams?
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Agreed. Not ruling out X as a starter, but do want to see Wes in action. Young should definitely come off the bench if only to put a limit on his volume. Looks like he's trying to learn control....4-9 FG and 8-8 FT.

Not bad, just wondering how MDA's green light is going to mesh with his internal green light. I'd like to see him shoot 44% this season. Henry SHOULDN'T play the 4, but is Williams body enough to make up for raw skillset?
Chillbongo

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Fantastic game last night, but I want to see some consistency from him.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:34 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Agreed. Not ruling out X as a starter, but do want to see Wes in action. Young should definitely come off the bench if only to put a limit on his volume. Looks like he's trying to learn control....4-9 FG and 8-8 FT.

Not bad, just wondering how MDA's green light is going to mesh with his internal green light. I'd like to see him shoot 44% this season. Henry SHOULDN'T play the 4, but is Williams body enough to make up for raw skillset?

Well on paper Williams has 3 inches on Henry. Williams is 6 foot 9, and Henry is 6 ft 6. I'd rather see Williams as a stretch 4. Henry's technically a SG. But yeah, I'd like to see Johnson get some time at the 3. And Landry as well. I think he's got some talent.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Damian Necronamous on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:53 pm

I'm not ready to throw Meeks to the wolves just yet, but Henry does seem to offer much more in terms of versatility, than Jodie.

I also liked what I saw, albeit briefly, from Elias Harris. He seems to have a real NBA body and he wasn't afraid to get into the paint when he got a chance. I could definitely see him getting some minutes with us this season as a 3/4.

Shawne Williams did absolutely nothing in that first game - he's going to have to show more than that. I also wasn't overly impressed with Wesley Johnson. I'll admit that I probably wasn't paying much attention to his defense, so I'll take a closer look at him there tonight. However, he is not a great ball handler and definitely can't create his own shot. On offense, his game is spot-up shooting and running the floor.

But if Henry can score the ball like that then we may have found a couple effective weapons here, in him and Young. The last few years, we've really needed more guys who can create their own shot, so that would be a welcome addition.

Lastly, I hope to never see Chris Kaman attempt a left-handed jump hook ever again in my life. Chris, no...just no.
Damian Necronamous

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:57 pm

Can't throw Meeks to the wolves yet? Did you not watch all last season?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:51 pm

Damian Necronamous wrote:
I also liked what I saw, albeit briefly, from Elias Harris. He seems to have a real NBA body and he wasn't afraid to get into the paint when he got a chance. I could definitely see him getting some minutes with us this season as a 3/4.

But if Henry can score the ball like that then we may have found a couple effective weapons here, in him and Young. The last few years, we've really needed more guys who can create their own shot, so that would be a welcome addition.

Pardon my edit, I just liked these two observations and agree. Someone said Harris reminded them a lot of Matt Barnes. That would not be a bad thing at all. I want to see much more of him than I do Landry. Already. Load this team up with the strong athletes that have game and then hone their skills.
LTLakerFan

Postby XXIV on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:29 pm

He really surprised me with how well he played last night. Also, he appears to have a bigger body than I thought so he could really help us out at the 3 if needed. Hopefully he continues to have good games and can be a part of this team.
XXIV

Postby Weezy on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:54 pm

Punk-101 wrote:After last night, Blake and Johnson seem to be the odd men out, but with guaranteed roster spots, will they be allowed to rot on the bench because Henry earned his lunch?

I don't put a ton of stock into last night's rotations. To me 'Antoni was clearly trying to get a good look at bench guys and guys trying to make the team, most of the 4th was end of bench guys. Blake will get his minutes as will Farmar IMO, Nash will need to play less and even take games off, and I think in the 2-4 spots there's plenty of room for Johnson and Williams, maybe even Harris because Hill is our only real PF and we don't know if Kelly will make the team. We still don't know from one game if Henry had made the team or will become a rotation player either, Meeks might be odd man out though, which doesn't bother me.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby ElginTheGreat on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:57 pm

I have been quietly optimistic about this signing from minute one. I have liked Henry's game since I saw him once in high school and later on at Kansas. I think he has a ton of potential. Last night was encouraging. I am hoping he can build on that and become the latest in a line of under the radar but very good signings / trades by the front office like Ariza, Hill, Clark, etc.
ElginTheGreat

Postby Punk-101 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:58 pm

Weezy wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:After last night, Blake and Johnson seem to be the odd men out, but with guaranteed roster spots, will they be allowed to rot on the bench because Henry earned his lunch?

I don't put a ton of stock into last night's rotations. To me 'Antoni was clearly trying to get a good look at bench guys and guys trying to make the team, most of the 4th was end of bench guys. Blake will get his minutes as will Farmar IMO, Nash will need to play less and even take games off, and I think in the 2-4 spots there's plenty of room for Johnson and Williams, maybe even Harris because Hill is our only real PF and we don't know if Kelly will make the team. We still don't know from one game if Henry had made the team or will become a rotation player either, Meeks might be odd man out though, which doesn't bother me.

Hypothetically, if Henry continues to impress and play better than Blake, Meeks, and Johnson at the sg spot, does he get the sg minutes he deserves?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby ElginTheGreat on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:06 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
Weezy wrote:

Hypothetically, if Henry continues to impress and play better than Blake, Meeks, and Johnson at the sg spot, does he get the sg minutes he deserves?

I think so. To say the pressure is on for Antoni and the front office would be a massive understatement. I don't think they will let anything stand in the way of potentially winning more games and trying to prove everyone wrong.)
ElginTheGreat

Postby Weezy on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
Weezy wrote:

I think that's possible, especially over Meeks and Johnson anyway, I don't think there's anything owed to them if Henry consistently outplays them. Blake though, 'Antoni really seems to like him and speak about him as if he's earned his spot and his time here no matter what, possibly even starting. I do think 'Antoni is good about being flexible with players though, if you perform he will play you more, like he did with Clark. But like you said, 'hypothetically', we still need to see a lot more from Henry than one game, one good game doesn't mean he's good enough to be the immediate backup 2 or even start with Kobe out, just like one bad game from Johnson doesn't mean he sucks.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:34 pm

I agree, weez. Let's not forget how tierre brown looked like iverson in the preseason.
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:10 pm

Another solid game from Henry.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Sirron on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:14 pm

we don't even need Kobe. This guy is the real deal! :jam2: :man12: 22, and confident. Don't look at his stats from the last 3 years though, or you'll think he's a scrub. He's just coming into his own. I really am impressed.

Great pickup Mitch! We actually have some pretty interesting talent to put around a potential squad next year. In this system, I can see Kobe and Henry on the floor at the same time.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby revgen on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:26 pm

Watching these last 2 games, he doesn't look anything like a vet min player. Hopefully we can keep him long term.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Weezy on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:29 pm

He's already been "signed", now you keep him on. If he ends up sucking it up this season, no harm done, let him walk, but if he starts to find his game and do well here, we might have found a solid player.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:51 pm

Still ballin, love what he is bringing to the team.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:35 pm

Yeah, I still like him. Johnson played a lot in the first half tonight and he brought next to nothing. I'd rather see Henry at the 3 with the starters honestly. He's got some real fire.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:59 am

Henry has the luck of being given the green light. Although to be fair, he's been given it because he deserves it. Wes has been shuffled a little and asked to play four (:man10:). I still like Wes for the team and I think he'll show some good things when we start clicking more.

But Xavier has been a dark horse for me ever since we signed him. I like him a lot. He's got the ability to get to the line which is huge. He's athletic. He's working hard defensively. The only problem I've seen is the same problem I've seen from every player that's not a PG: ball stoppage.

But Xavier is clearly working his way on to the team. He's got to be a favorite to make it at this point.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion