Xavier Henry Discussion: Xmin

Re: Lakers Sign Xavier Henry

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:44 am

Good athlete not a ton of skill.. Wouldn't mind if it was a small guarantee & camp invite but I think giving him the vet min. deal is a bit risky.. Unless Kobe misses a lot of time, he's right there with Meeks as our 5th or 6th best option at SG. Maybe D'antoni sees something in his game that he can build on.
lakersin4

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:03 am

Really hoping this guy makes the roster....he's pretty solid on D, and he's relatively athletic.
FabFourLakers

Postby JSM on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:22 pm

xavier henry ‏@xhenry7 1h
Finished all my physicals today, looking forward to practice and working out tmrw!! #LakersNation #ItsThatTime #Blessed
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:02 pm

I hope he can make a splash and maybe find a spot on the team somewhere. A guy who can play a little defense, has a little athleticism, is still young with some room to improve. I like it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:55 am

The new X-Man :jam2:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby JSM on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:08 pm

Trevor Wong of Lakers.com wrote:Trevor Wong: Was there there was anything specifically that attracted you to come to Los Angeles?
Xavier Henry: During the free agent process, I was working hard and when I started to get feedback from teams, we thought (the Lakers) was a good fit for me. When the deal got done, I was excited. There’s not one thing you can say wrong about the Lakers – their history, the players, the coach, they have one of the greats in Kobe (Bryant) that you can learn from every single day. There’s so much with the Lakers to help further yourself and help the team. I’m coming in trying to make a name for myself, and to help the team.
TW: What was your experience like playing at Kansas?
Henry: It was unbelievable playing with the guys we had and under coach Bill Self. It was probably one of the most fun years of my life. For the whole year, I got better and I tried to prove a point that this is my game. It’s funny to look back that I’m not old, but only four years out of college.
*Note: Henry was part of a Jayhawks squad that reeled off a 32-2 record in the regular season before the NCAA tournament (33-3 overall record). He played alongside Thomas Robinson, Cole Aldrich, Tyshawn Taylor, Sherron Collins and the Morris twins (Marcus and Markieff), but they were upended in the second round of the tournament by No. 9 Northern Iowa.
TW: Was there a big adjustment period from college to the professional ranks after just one year at Kansas? You went from being a highly-recruited prospect, to a one-and-done at Kansas and then your playing time fluctuates your rookie year.
Henry: What really hurt me was I hurt my knee and basically missed the rest of the season. (Coach Hollins) played me but I wasn’t even healthy and it was hard for me to deal with that going through the rest of the year. It was like I had to start all over. (My rookie year) was going good at first right after I got drafted. I had O.J. Mayo and Tony Allen (ahead of me). They started with Mayo and we weren’t winning much; they started Allen and we still weren’t winning much, so they put me in. I was playing fine as a rookie to get my feet wet. A couple games in, my knee (acted up) and that was it. I didn’t really have anything to say about my rookie season because it went by so fast and I went down. It wasn’t a happy time for me because I was hurt and I had an opportunity in front of me. I tried to play a couple games after I got hurt and I could barely even move, and I knew I had to shut it down. Everybody was good to me. I was always battling back (from injury). I was just trying to get back healthy. If I’m healthy, I know I can play. There’s no denying that.
TW: What did you take away from coach Lionel Hollins and any players who mentored you during your rookie season?
Henry: (In Memphis), coach Hollins was a tough guy, but he also made you realize why he was tough on you. He was there for me when I was hurting. He made sure I was OK and made sure I kept my head focused.”
Note: Henry alluded to Rudy Gay looking out for him while he was injured and constantly checking on him, and Mike Conley as someone who he looked up to. In New Orleans, he mentioned Roger Mason Jr. as being a really good professional, and coach Monty Williams and the rest of the coaching staff working him out and pushing him to be better.
TW: For those people that don’t know you as well, what is your game all about and what can you bring to the table?
Henry: I shoot the ball pretty well, but one thing I’ve always been able to do is get to the line and get fouled. One thing I pride myself on is making sure nobody can stay in front of me when I get to the basket. I’m just trying to show everybody my overall game, play defense and let them know what they can expect what I can bring to the team.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:18 am

JSM wrote:
Trevor Wong of Lakers.com wrote:Xavier Henry: During the free agent process, I was working hard and when I started to get feedback from teams, we thought (the Lakers) was a good fit for me. When the deal got done, I was excited. There’s not one thing you can say wrong about the Lakers – their history, the players, the coach, they have one of the greats in Kobe (Bryant) that you can learn from every single day. There’s so much with the Lakers to help further yourself and help the team. I’m coming in trying to make a name for myself, and to help the team.

Henry: (In Memphis), coach Hollins was a tough guy, but he also made you realize why he was tough on you. He was there for me when I was hurting. He made sure I was OK and made sure I kept my head focused.”
Note: Henry alluded to Rudy Gay looking out for him while he was injured and constantly checking on him, and Mike Conley as someone who he looked up to. In New Orleans, he mentioned Roger Mason Jr. as being a really good professional, and coach Monty Williams and the rest of the coaching staff working him out and pushing him to be better.
TW: For those people that don’t know you as well, what is your game all about and what can you bring to the table?
Henry: I shoot the ball pretty well, but one thing I’ve always been able to do is get to the line and get fouled. One thing I pride myself on is making sure nobody can stay in front of me when I get to the basket. I’m just trying to show everybody my overall game, play defense and let them know what they can expect what I can bring to the team.

Saying all the right things about the Lakers.. Hopefully he's still tight with Conley cuz I'd take him over just about any PG in the league.. Henry is obviously not going to be a great scorer but he's good at getting to the line & that makes him valuable.. He's good at making something out of nothing, not a guy we're going to run plays for.. He's a better defender than Young & will probably do a better job on SF's.. If he & Wes play solid defense on the wings we should be much improved.. We added alot of young legs on the perimeter & shouldn't get killed on every loose ball, & we should be able to hang with anyone in transition.. D'antoni is going to drive us crazy trying every possible rotation with all these guys that can run the floor. Noone can say he isn't getting a fair shot, nearly every player we've signed seem like good fits for his system.
lakersin4

Postby earvinfr on Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:07 am

Seems like good finisher even with contact.
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:35 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Tragic on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:37 pm

impressed
Tragic

Postby karacha on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:38 pm

Play few more games well, show some hustle, and you get a contract.

We can use this guy. He's very strong, energetic, doesn't fear anyone. I'd give him a chance. Looks better then Meeks right now.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Aonex on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:40 pm

Lock him up 5 year contract :man1:
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby Weezy on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:52 pm

I'd give him a partially guaranteed contract for a portion of the season (if they haven't already) as the 14th or 15th man off that performance alone ahead of the other camp invites. He's young, quick, strong, athletic, plays defense, there's potential for a solid bench guy there.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:06 pm

Had a great game, hustled on both ends, not only that also looked for the boards. This is why I was excited about this signing, he won't put at 29 all the time but I love his game & hustle.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby last stand on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:06 pm

Hes a keeper just because he's 22 and we need to start having 22 year old players with reasons for keeping them
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby crampledkid on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:14 pm

karacha wrote:Play few more games well, show some hustle, and you get a contract.

We can use this guy. He's very strong, energetic, doesn't fear anyone. I'd give him a chance. Looks better then Meeks right now.

way better. And he's 22
crampledkid

Re: Xavier Henry Discussion

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:50 pm

Just getting to CL finally after the game. Have not read this thread yet but certainly looking forward to it. All I can say is Do it Mitch. This guy has the build, strength, quickness, athleticism, coordination, form on his J and that "it" to be a really nice player. He's instant offense as well as Nick Young maybe even in a more conservative way because of the fundamentals. It took West 20 minutes watching Kobe to decide. What did we get with him tonight.... about 25? Keep this guy! He will learn from the best at multiple positions on our squad. Supposed to be pretty good on D. No brainer. I would take him over Meeks in a heartbeat.
LTLakerFan

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:00 pm

I didn't watch the second half, but I saw him lose control and get picked by Iggy. :bang: Good to hear that he finished the game strong though.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:06 pm

hopefully he doesnt suffer from CDR syndrome
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:30 am

I'm very intrigued by him. He really showed a lot out there tonight. Sure, it's pre-season, but the Warriors aren't slouchers. He's a pretty crafty scorer, a strong body, and has some natural athleticism. What's not to like about a 27 point, 7 rebound game from your wing player? That works. I really wouldn't mind us giving him some time at the 3. I like what he brings. I also like that he's a lefty.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:31 am

karacha wrote:

^^ He sure does.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:13 am

There may not be a need for pronunciation guides much longer.

It’s ZAH-vee-ay, and if Xavier Henry can replicate the performance he had in his Lakers preseason debut then his name will be well known throughout the NBA.

Henry scored 29 points off the bench on an efficient nine-for-15 shooting Saturday night during the Lakers’ 104-95 victory over the Golden State Warriors at Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario.

The guard whose addition to the Lakers’ training camp roster didn’t cause much of a stir was a crowd favorite with several amazing plays, including an alley-oop pass on an inbounds play and a shot from beyond half court at the halftime buzzer.

“As soon as I had it in my hands,” Henry said, “I looked up, saw the rim and just shot it and it went in.”

Pretty impressive for someone who had averaged only 4.5 points during his first three NBA seasons.

“I just never had that opportunity to really show what I can do,” said Henry, a former first-round draft pick whose time with the Memphis Grizzlies and New Orleans Hornets was beset by injuries and inconsistent playing time.

Henry, 22, showed a variety of skills against the Warriors, making two of four three-pointers while also displaying the ability to get to the rim. He was repeatedly fouled and made nine of 11 free throws. He also had seven rebounds.

“His biggest thing is shot selection and getting confidence,” Lakers Coach Mike D’Antoni said, “and tonight he did that and if he can continue to do that, he can play.”

Henry attributed part of his success to being in the midst of a group of young former high draft picks trying to prove themselves anew.

“Everybody’s been hungry,” he said. “Everybody every day knows they can’t take a day off. You have to come out hungry. We come out hungry, we play hard, we take open shots, we play defense.”

They’ll also soon learn the backstory on Henry’s name, if they don’t know it already.

“I was born in Belgium and they speak Flemish over there,” Henry said, “so it would be Xavier here but it’s part French, part Flemish, so that’s why they pronounce it ZAH-vee-ay. I can see why people pronounce it all these other things.”

They may not for long.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Barnstable on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:25 am

I don't think it's likely, but I'd be absolutely floored if injury and play time were the only thing holding him back in the past. I need to see him perform a little like that a few more times before I would be able to know what we have, but wouldn't it be amazing if that were the case?
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakeshow24 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:00 am

:man10: :man10: At all the sarcastic and negative comments at the beginning of this thread, turned into optimistic, positive, thrilled comments based on his game last night.

We'll see. I hope the kid can play at least halfway like he did last night this season....
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby karacha on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:40 am

One thing is pretty obvious: the kid has that modern NBA physique. If he can body up Iggy like that, he's pretty strong. That alone is worth something.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion