Xavier Henry Discussion: Xmin

Re: Xavier Henry Discussion: Xmin = 1 yr min salary

Postby syl on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:40 pm

like the guy, not a starter, looks like we have 2 bench players for SF....oh well, i guess 4 of 5 solid starters will do
Kobe Bryant: GM of the Year (Chucky was right!)
syl

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:43 pm

Good move. He's been here since the end of the season, so it was a matter of when, not if, in bringing him back.

Healthy X last year was great to watch.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:12 am

Can't sleep so here's some videos for you guys.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby raviator on Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:26 am

I'll tell you what, that Henry dunk probably my second favorite play from last season. But damn Meyers kind of sucked the life out of that play with his commentary. :man10:
raviator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:13 am

raviator wrote:I'll tell you what, that Henry dunk probably my second favorite play from last season. But damn Meyers kind of sucked the life out of that play with his commentary. :man10:

:man10:

To be fair Joel wasn't commentating for us anymore, so I don't think he was all that excited to see one of his guys get dunked on.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby unpossibl1 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:52 am

Good signing. Still a lot of time for growth from X. Even though he's been around for a few years he's only 23. Jordan Clarkson is 22, just for perspective.

Wesley Johnson, on the other hand, is 27. Seeing as we won't be contending this season anyway I would like to see X get the start at SF. He's got the potential to be a good defender, and that's something we sorely need.
unpossibl1

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:03 pm

X's health is vital...he has some potential, and I would hate to see his career derailed by health issues. Nice move, though. This will likely be his last shot to prove himself, and I hope he does...
lukewaltonsdad

Postby trodgers on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:11 pm

I do like Henry's upside. I'll say more about him today or tomorrow, as I think he's done some nice improvement in his career, and he's still so young.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby syl on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:45 pm

unpossibl1 wrote:Good signing. Still a lot of time for growth from X. Even though he's been around for a few years he's only 23. Jordan Clarkson is 22, just for perspective.

good perspective, hope Xavier gets a foothold in on this roster and develops into the post-kobe era
Kobe Bryant: GM of the Year (Chucky was right!)
syl

Postby Frank Dux on Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:51 am

I always thought he looked a lot better than his numbers suggested. Hopefully he can find his stride, and become an effective player with us.
Frank Dux

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:06 pm

He's officially signed now according to Eric Pincus! :jam2:

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing 4m

Kupchak stressing defense regarding @XavierHenry: "We expect he’ll strive to add to his skillset and become a well-rounded player.”
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby trodgers on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:23 pm

I like the things Mitch says - and doesn't say - about players.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Juronimo on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:46 pm

I'm listening to the Jeremy Lin press conference and he mentioned adding change of pace to his game and adding a floater. That is one area that X will need to improve upon, so that he doesn't put himself at risk of injury all of the time. Adding the in between game will help his game quite a bit and keep him healthy.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:38 pm

X's problem to me is he is reckless. He plays with passion and heart but full on bull in china shop instead of thinking the game out. I love his aggressiveness and hard finishes but hate the all or nothingness of it all. I hope he can find balance this year.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:22 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:X's problem to me is he is reckless. He plays with passion and heart but full on bull in china shop instead of thinking the game out. I love his aggressiveness and hard finishes but hate the all or nothingness of it all. I hope he can find balance this year.

Without that he's just another role player.. His ability to get to the rim & draw fouls is what makes him worth taking a gamble on. He does it by driving recklessly & throwing his body into defenders.. That's his game.
LakersN4

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:14 am

LakersN4 wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:X's problem to me is he is reckless. He plays with passion and heart but full on bull in china shop instead of thinking the game out. I love his aggressiveness and hard finishes but hate the all or nothingness of it all. I hope he can find balance this year.

Without that he's just another role player.. His ability to get to the rim & draw fouls is what makes him worth taking a gamble on. He does it by driving recklessly & throwing his body into defenders.. That's his game.

reckless isnt a style that leads to long term playing. I didn't say he shouldn't attack but he has to be smarter. He does no good to any team being hurt.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Re: Xavier Henry Discussion: Xmin

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:39 am

Yeah he needs to learn how to pick his spots and preserve himself. The best way for him to do that right now: perfect that jump shot. His lack of a jump shot means he drives the majority of the time and the majority of the time he drives into 2-3 guys.

If he could come around a pick and hit a mid-range jumper, it opens the floor for his drives.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:49 am

He has a J. And has gotten hot in a few games with it. Think game 1 last year when we ran the Clippers out. I recall a number of those were Js. Agree he should put more work into it and less into trying to make the disabled list again with recklessness. I don't think he has a floater. He and Sacre need to be working on floaters.

:man12:
LTLakerFan

Postby trodgers on Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:32 pm

He IS just another roleplayer, but his role is attacking.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:38 pm

Interesting wrinkle - Xavier Henry was not re-signed to Lakers at minimum but for remaining room exception $1.082 million - 1yr deal
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby khmrP on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:44 pm

I hope he progresses in his game, this is another guy I hope to see as a laker for a long time.
khmrP

Byron: X Is Not Fully Recovered From Injuries

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:07 pm

Posted on September 9, 2014 by Mark Medina

The Lakers have yet to play a game, but they are still fielding less than a fully healthy roster.

In a wide-ranging interview with this newspaper, Lakers coach Byron Scott said forward Xavier Henry “might be limited in training camp” because of a surgically repaired left wrist and right knee that have not fully healed.

“I haven’t seen him do much on the court,” Scott said. “It’s going to be close on if he’s ready for camp.”

The Lakers confirmed Henry has not fully recovered from his injuries, but they did not provide immediate details on his progress. Still, the Lakers expect that Henry will be healthy for the start of the 2013-14 season after missing 39 games last season because of the aforementioned overlapping left wrist and right knee injuries. Henry had surgery to treat both injuries in mid-April shortly before the Lakers’ 2013-14 season ended.

Henry predicted in mid-June that he would heal within the following five to six weeks. At that time, Henry remained limited to a series of ball handling and shooting drills using only his right hand, his non-shooting hand. Henry also worked o n various unspecified exercises to strengthen his right knee.

The Lakers re-signed Henry this offseason to a one-year deal worth the around $1 million after averaging 10 points per game by showing bursts of athleticism toward the basket.

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2014/ ... -injuries/

Mitch, sign Michael Beasley for insurance.
Kobe8Fan

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:13 am

damn well its okay because he was inexpensive but I just hope he'll be healthy for the start of the year. Henry coming off the bench and being able to attack the rim on a consistent basis was a huge blessing last year when healthy.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Re: Byron: X Is Not Fully Recovered From Injuries

Postby lotus on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:29 am

Kobe8Fan wrote:
“I haven’t seen him do much on the court,” Scott said. “It’s going to be close on if he’s ready for camp.”

Bummer. I was looking forward to him progressing and establishing himself as a legit NBA player that can get himself more than a 1yr contract. Hope he heals up soon.
lotus

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:38 pm

Work on your skills X. Shooting, handling the ball, footwork. Watch Kobe. Start playing SMARTER. Too many forays into the air with not a lot of clue how he is going to land. IMO. Always seeking contact in the air. Yeah you get to the line, but you're getting hurt a lot it seems doing it.
LTLakerFan

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion