Yahoo: Lakers officially dumps Princeton Offense!

Re: Yahoo: Lakers officially dumps Princeton Offense!

Postby GNC on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:01 pm

GNC

Postby kray28 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:03 pm

GNC wrote:Image

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
kray28

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:04 pm

revgen wrote:Princeton wasn't the problem. The coach was. You can't force-feed it. You have to put it in gradually.
this. I'm with the Princeton but if the guys didn't buy in then forget it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:04 pm

revgen wrote:Princeton wasn't the problem. The coach was. You can't force-feed it. You have to put it in gradually.
this. I'm with the Princeton but if the guys didn't buy in then forget it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:16 pm

^Agreed. I think once they got it together it wouldve been great, and I do think alot of the frustration from players concerning the offense was just an extension of being frustrated with Potato.

But in the end, Im pretty sure Nash and Kobe will have alot of input on the offense moving forward.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby karacha on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:23 pm

Play faster, use more pick and roll (obviously), play to our strengths. It's nice to have some sets we can rely on, but the offense doesn't need to be overly complicated. Kobe/Pau/Metta could probably use some basic triangle plays... Nash would get it quickly and Dwight plays the easiest tri position anyway. Again, nothing complicated. But mostly - let Nash create, get Pau involved in P&R, feed Dwight, who seems to be impossible to stop right now... and for god's sake use Jamison and Meeks correctly. Stretch the floor, up the tempo.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:40 pm

I wonder if personnel changes are coming for the roster next.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:49 pm

lakerfan2 wrote::jam2:

Good, that was the most bogus scheme anyways.

Pick and roll, triangle - keep it simple. We have the (best) tools.

Triangle simple? Only Kobe, Dwight and Pau know the Triangle well. Metta, Blake, Devin are still confused about the offense.
Kobe8Fan

Postby Tragic on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:02 pm

^Dwight knows the triangle?
Tragic

Postby chraum on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:37 pm

Tragic wrote:^Dwight knows the triangle?

He played with it in High School I believe. A google search and you can find it.
Matt Barnes "I'm a Hustler baby, I just want you to know"
chraum

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:^Agreed. I think once they got it together it wouldve been great, and I do think alot of the frustration from players concerning the offense was just an extension of being frustrated with Potato.

But in the end, Im pretty sure Nash and Kobe will have alot of input on the offense moving forward.

Yeah, I think their offense maybe tried to do too much too soon and really was just like trying to swim through jello.

They clearly weren't grasping it consistently though so now we'll see something simpler. I'm down. As long as they're down with it, I'm down.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:50 pm

just run Kobe offense for a while, iso and PnR with Kobe/Pau...Dwight can clean up the garbage :man1:
khmrP

Postby jlkr on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:54 pm

They weren't that bad offensively. Have to remember Nash is out and D12 not fully conditioned yet. The real problems were in the bench, the defense and the rotations. On top of which, his players called him "All Day" last year. Not a good sign.

At least give Baseball Cap Boy credit for sacking his own pick. And that makes him 0-2 at picking coaches (remember he picked Rudy T way back when).

I really, really wanted Adelman for this job when Brown was hired instead. Heck, he was Kobe's next choice after Brian Shaw. But no way to pry him away from Minny anytime soon. D'Antoni has a relationship with Kobe stemming from their time on Team USA and of course we know about him and Nash so that's not a crazy pick.

I'm not liking Jackson this time. It would probably take half the season to re-implement the triangle since the only guys that know it well are 3 of the starters and that's it. Plus the tri is a lousy fit for Nash's talents.

Sloan would be interesting, but dunno if he wants to be in LA. He would certainly not be afraid of Kobe though.

McMillan is interesting, he also has a relationship with Kobe dating back to Team USA.

SVG, nope, good way to run D12 out of town at the end of the season.

Shaw, if Indiana will let him go, maybe.

One thing for sure, Baseball Cap Boy better be running his candidates by Kobe. Gonna need Kobe's buy-in to whoever gets the job.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby jjin28 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:38 pm

So did Eddie JOrdan officially get fired yet? With the princeton gone, and Bickerstaff getting the call as interim, why no news on Eddie?
“you don’t even know me and you mad. How it feel to be a hater, now I know exactly how it feels to be a Laker." - JAY Z
jjin28

Postby dmaul on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm glad the Princeton is gone. But I don't understand those who prefer the Triangle because they're very similar. Motion offense, lots of cuts, lots of passing, little dribbling, no need for a point guard like Nash. I have no problem with either the Princeton or the Triangle. My contention was always that we don't have the luxury of time to put in any kind of system that's going to take half a year or more for the guys to pick up. We have to be successful almost right away.

Doesn't matter what we run, just keep it simple and stay fundamentally sound. I'm more worried about the cohesion of this team and defensive chemistry. A below average coach trying to start fresh with a whole new paradigm when the core of your team is in their 30s and you have a one year window to prove to your potential future franchise player that this is the place to be was never a good idea. I previously said dump Brown, dump the Princeton, and any coach associated with the two.
dmaul

Postby JGC on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:20 pm

This is what I usually tell my ladies of the night.
JGC

Postby last stand on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:31 pm

JGC wrote:

strap-ons? :man10:

just kidding
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby JGC on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:01 pm

last stand wrote:
JGC wrote:

strap-ons? :man10:

just kidding

Buahahaha. How could I resist. Force feed? Put it in gradually?

Well, here's to hoping our offense explodes tonight.
JGC

Postby Kasumi on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:07 pm

Thread derail?
ImageImage

"Basketball reasons" is as believable coming from Mitch Kupchak as it was coming from David Stern. #IWantedPhil
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby JGC on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:08 pm

I don't know, the thread was pretty pointless considering we all know with MB's firing that the Princeton is gone.
JGC

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:30 pm

JGC wrote:I don't know, the thread was pretty pointless considering we all know with MB's firing that the Princeton is gone.

Actually, that's a good point, we have multiple threads discussing who the new coach will be and what system they will run. With Brown gone, unless one of our assistant coaches is promoted to head coach full time (which isn't happening) of course the Princeton is gone. So, I think we can lock this up, it's just redundant discussion at this point.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion