If you we had either of r last two championship teams....

If you we had either of r last two championship teams....

Postby Melo56 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:53 am

At there form that year kobe gasol younger

Phil Jackson

Could they win the title this year?

Has the nba gotten better is Miami okc too good?
Melo56

Re: If you we had either of r last two championship teams....

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:54 am

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:57 am

The 08-09 squad would have a good shot of winning it all

Also the 07-08 team
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Kit on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:34 pm

08-09 before bynum got hurt. I miss that team.
Kit

Postby 432J on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:47 pm

the 08-09 team most likely could
432J

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:58 pm

LO & Pau would beast in this quicker more uptempo league.
lakersin4

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:40 pm

The 08-09 team was a damm good. 65-17. 27-14 road record. Killed Bostons 19 game win streak and Clevs 20 game win streak in huge statement games. Prime Kobe, Gasol and Odom. I would favor this team quite comfortably. That offense was amazingly efficient and good and we could clamp down on d when needed.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby LakerFanIam on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:43 pm

^^^ Totally forgot about snapping those Big win streaks that year... Epic.
LakerFanIam

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:48 pm

LakerFanIam wrote:^^^ Totally forgot about snapping those Big win streaks that year... Epic.

Yup. Still remember those two games. Christmas day, Boston rolls into LA having won 19 straight. They were like 20-3 or something. And going into Clev and stopping their 20 game home winning streak. Iirc, Odom had a huge game and won it for us. That championship was special to me because that's the first one i got to enjoy as an adult. During Showtime, i was just a kid and couldn't fully appreciate it.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:53 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:The 08-09 squad would have a good shot of winning it all

Also the 07-08 team

Didn't see u mention the 09-10 team and rightfully so imo. I think the 07-08 team was better than the 90-10 team. More athletic and explosive. But their finesse style wasn't ready for Boston's d. If i'm not mistaken, the 07-08 Celts had one of the best defenses ever. That team would've rolled over anyone else though imo. Didn't they lose like just 1 game in the playoffs up until the finals?
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Nikez on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:57 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:The 08-09 squad would have a good shot of winning it all

Also the 07-08 team

Didn't see u mention the 09-10 team and rightfully so imo. I think the 07-08 team was better than the 90-10 team. More athletic and explosive. But their finesse style wasn't ready for Boston's d. If i'm not mistaken, the 07-08 Celts had one of the best defenses ever. That team would've rolled over anyone else though imo. Didn't they lose like just 1 game in the playoffs up until the finals?

Do you ever post anything that makes sense? How was a team that lost to those celtics who beat their celtics a better team? Kobe himself has said that the lakers in 10 benefited from the learning experience in 08.

To be fair this thread doesnt really make sense.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:01 am

Who can forget Kobe rising over JR Smith to drain that fade away 3 pointer to seal the game and that's when the scowl first showed up.

Or Ariza's two huge steals against Denver.

Or game 7 against Houston? That was the game that this team probably needed to wake them up. I was at that game and the crowd was nuts.

Or Dfish being clutch in game 4?

Shannon throwing down over the Birdman.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby 432J on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:20 am

man i miss 08-09

that was one hell of a team
432J

Postby shoe on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:46 am

The 07-08 team was really fun to watch. I think they averaged like 108ppg during the regular season and cruised through the Western Conference Playoffs.

That was the year sasha was lights out from three...felt like every three he took was goin in.

That team would be perfect in today's league. Prime Kobe, Prime LO, Prime Pau, D-Fish who didn't suck.....bench mob with sasha, farmar and turiaf.

Great 3 point shooting too..sasha, fish and vlad were all above 40% from three. Farmar at 37% and Kobe at 36%
shoe

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:52 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:

Also the 07-08 team

There's no question the 07-08 squad was better than 09-10. In fact I might even argue the 07-08 team was better than the 08-09 team.

People forget how dominant that team was and Kobe as well (averaged 31/6/6 on 61 TS% for the first 3 rounds!!!). The teams they faced in that post-season were insanely good, much harder than the runs they had in 08-09 and 09-10. Remember that was the possibly the most competitive Western Conference ever.

Denver was a 3.7+ SRS team
Utah was a 6.87 SRS team
San Antonio was a 5.1 SRS team
Boston was a 9.31 SRS team

They went 12-3 through the West. Boston was clearly too much for them though, but they still made it somewhat competitive.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:14 am

^^^

Yeah, that 08 team was one well oiled offensive machine. They just did whatever they wanted on offense. But i'd give the edge to the 09 team for the experience factor of facing a great defensive team like Boston and leaning from it.

I never got the sense that the 10 team was great. They never really showed any flashes of dominance. I think there was like a 12 game winning streak but they struggled for most of the playoffs. I think the 08 team would've beaten the 10 team. Younger, more athletic and better versions of Kobe, Gasol and Odom.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:33 am

The biggest problem with the 09-10 team was that Kobe wasn't the same player that year, he had a pretty big drop off from his usual production because of injuries. I remember towards the end of the year he would not stop having 3/20, 2/17 shooting nights and people started to panic. If he didn't turn it up in the semis and on they would have been toast.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:41 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:The biggest problem with the 09-10 team was that Kobe wasn't the same player that year, he had a pretty big drop off from his usual production because of injuries. I remember towards the end of the year he would not stop having 3/20, 2/17 shooting nights and people started to panic. If he didn't turn it up in the semis and on they would have been toast.

Yeah, that was the single biggest factor for the drop off. Kobe not being the same dominant force he was from 07-09.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby MC on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:18 am

It's all about the style of play........

Those teams with our stars being younger would eat these teams up for lunch.... so would those Celtics teams with their big 3.

Age as seriously caught Boston......

Dumb philosophy of play and questionable coaching has submarined the Lakers more than the age itself.

I think THIS years Lakers could win it all with the right philosophy of play..... we are TAILORED made to force those small teams into jump shooters which is inefficient basketball unlike the BS MDA tries to feed justifying his philosophy.

But in order to do that you have to have responsible floor balance that FORCES half court play....... that is the key to beat these smaller lineups....... force them to run half court sets, defend the paint and force the perimeter shot because the % work to YOUR advantage. Just because a 1 hit wonder comes around and wins 1 title (DALLAS) by shooting the lights out from the perimeter doesn't mean the right way to play basketball has somehow changed...... it's NOT sustainable to make it a template when championships is all that counts.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby charvin on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:29 pm

Boston had a rough playoff road that year, I think that was what pushed them over the Lakers. They went 4-3, 4-3, 4-2, and 4-2 while the Lakers pretty much coasted through the playoffs never having much trouble with any team. The physical, bump and grind, great team defense completely took the sails out of the finesse styled Lakers that year, although arguments could be made that Ariza and Bynum wern't completely healthy that year and that might have made some difference.

Lets Go Lakers wrote:

Also the 07-08 team

charvin

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:06 pm

^ Yeah, we weren't "ready" to win it in '08. Though I remember a boatload of bogus ref calls. Bogus.

I also remember them swarming the s*** out of Kobe. Pau was good but was shutdown by KG IMO. So our offense outside of Kobe/LO was nonexistent?
Chillbongo

Postby 432J on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:21 pm

Chillbongo wrote:^ Yeah, we weren't "ready" to win it in '08. Though I remember a boatload of bogus ref calls. Bogus.

I also remember them swarming the s*** out of Kobe. Pau was good but was shutdown by KG IMO. So our offense outside of Kobe/LO was nonexistent?

and dont forget no bynum and ariza
432J

Return to Lakers Discussion