Fri. 11/12 @ Magic - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby gill on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:46 pm

lalfan wrote:we need outside shooting bad, butler, odom, akin are not pure shooters, we need someone who can just stand around the premiter and wait for kobe's pass when he's been double teamed, simplies the offense, we got too many athelets on the team and not enough shooters.

Again, offense is not the problem. Outside shooters may help, but we have that in Rush (who's in a funky attitude right now). The problem, again I stress and as others would as well, is defense and rebounding.
gill

Postby UCLAbadfish on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:46 pm

This game has just shown us that we are not as deep as many (including myself) had thought. Most of the guys coming off of our bench are a liability on defense. Cook is absolute garbage. I don't care if he can hit open shots. The bad definitely outweighs the good when he is in the lineup. Tierre is also a poor defender. Walton played ok defense, but didn't make any impact at all coming off the bench. We need to make a move and make it now. Also, it's pretty obvious that if we want to make a strong push in the post season, having Malone back will be a must.

The good news is that soon enough we will have a healthy Vlade and JJ back in the rotation, which will likely limit the minutes of Cook. PG is still a huge problem on the defensive end, however. Man I need a drink. Later.
UCLAbadfish

Postby hoopschick03 on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:48 pm

UCLAbadfish wrote:This game has just shown us that we are not as deep as many (including myself) had thought. Most of the guys coming off of our bench are a liability on defense. Cook is absolute garbage. I don't care if he can hit open shots. The bad definitely outweighs the good when he is in the lineup. Tierre is also a poor defender. Walton played ok defense, but didn't make any impact at all coming off the bench. We need to make a move and make it now. Also, it's pretty obvious that if we want to make a strong push in the post season, having Malone back will be a must.

The good news is that soon enough we will have a healthy Vlade and JJ back in the rotation, which will likely limit the minutes of Cook. PG is still a huge problem on the defensive end, however. Man I need a drink. Later.

Hey, take one back, for me....please
YES WE CAN.
hoopschick03

Postby MarkMadsen on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:48 pm

we need outside shooting bad, butler, odom, akin are not pure shooters, we need someone who can just stand around the premiter and wait for kobe's pass when he's been double teamed, simplies the offense, we got too many athelets on the team and not enough shooters.

no, we just need defense. We can get the lead and score, we just need that defense to maintain it
Last edited by MarkMadsen on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkMadsen

Postby methodnred on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:48 pm

KAREEM RUSH SUCKS.... i dont get why the heck most of you like him so much, he's had time to show potential, oh my god he hit 6-7 three's in a game thats one game people

Trade Rush for anything

please

and i'm not just sayin this cuz of Worthy's comments, i've never liked Kareem
methodnred

Postby MarkMadsen on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:49 pm

Rush is just slacking now...he has no desire to do nothing on the court.
MarkMadsen

Postby Furious D on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:50 pm

UCLAbadfish wrote:This game has just shown us that we are not as deep as many (including myself) had thought. Most of the guys coming off of our bench are a liability on defense. Cook is absolute garbage. I don't care if he can hit open shots. The bad definitely outweighs the good when he is in the lineup. Tierre is also a poor defender. Walton played ok defense, but didn't make any impact at all coming off the bench. We need to make a move and make it now. Also, it's pretty obvious that if we want to make a strong push in the post season, having Malone back will be a must.

I totally agree bad fish. Very well put. Our guys coming off totally lost the game for us in the 2nd quarter. It just shows that theyre still young and need more experience. I'm gonna go out soon too. Maybe get a drink and shoot some pool. :man1:
"That's where I want your jersey in about in about ten years." - Mitch Kupchak
Furious D
Good Call Stats Team

Postby IonZephyr on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:50 pm

MarkMadsen wrote:Rush is just slacking now...he has no desire to do nothing on the court.

:man3:
IonZephyr

Postby dynasty4kobe on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:51 pm

We just have to be patient and wait until we hit our stride. If Malone comes back, that would be great. Even when Divac comes back, it will benefit us greatly.

With Divac starting, Mihm would be our back up center, allowing Grant to start at Power Forward, with Slava as our back-up. That allows Lamar to start at SF, and Caron as our super-sub. That will REALLY help rebounding and defense.

"Then when we do get back on top, [bandwagoners] are going to want to jump back on and we're going to tell them there's no more room."
-Kobe Bryant, March 28, 2005, 32-37

"I Survived 2005" Club
dynasty4kobe, DarthRekal, In The Key
dynasty4kobe

Postby lalfan on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:53 pm

dynasty4kobe wrote:We just have to be patient and wait until we hit our stride. If Malone comes back, that would be great. Even when Divac comes back, it will benefit us greatly.

With Divac starting, Mihm would be our back up center, allowing Grant to start at Power Forward, with Slava as our back-up. That allows Lamar to start at SF, and Caron as our super-sub. That will REALLY help rebounding and defense.

at this rate there is no way malone want to be a part of this, he doesn't owe us anything so there is no reason for him to stick around for a mediocre year.
lalfan

Postby MarkMadsen on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:54 pm

are we still relying on Malone coming back? Granted hell help but his comeback isnt a sure thing. We probably wont get an answer till February.
MarkMadsen

Postby Furious D on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:55 pm

dynasty4kobe wrote:We just have to be patient and wait until we hit our stride. If Malone comes back, that would be great. Even when Divac comes back, it will benefit us greatly.

We cant put our hopes on Divac and Malone. The guys we got now are capable of winning games. Its gonna be sad when we do get those guys back and still nothing changes.
"That's where I want your jersey in about in about ten years." - Mitch Kupchak
Furious D
Good Call Stats Team

Postby gill on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:55 pm

MarkMadsen wrote:are we still relying on Malone coming back? Granted hell help but his comeback isnt a sure thing. We probably wont get an answer till February.

It'll be too late by then. Just get another big body in there to do the rebounding and play some D. Forget Malone. He'll only give us just this year anyway then retire the next. After that it's back to square one. Might as well address the problems now with fresh new legs rather than one with a bummed knee.
gill

Postby lalfan on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:57 pm

MarkMadsen wrote:
we need outside shooting bad, butler, odom, akin are not pure shooters, we need someone who can just stand around the premiter and wait for kobe's pass when he's been double teamed, simplies the offense, we got too many athelets on the team and not enough shooters.

no, we just need defense. We can get the lead and score, we just need that defense to maintain it

true, but in a close ballgame especially toward the end we don't have an offensive game plan, it'll be either the wrong guys jacking up long jump shots or kobe going one on five, if we have better shooters we can run drive and kick or pick and pop to death. i know defense is our bigger problem i was just saying that with better shooters around our team we can at least survive couple of these games with poor poor defensive efforts.
lalfan

Postby Supastas on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:01 pm

After Jumaine got injured look at the dropoff from the starting lineup.

Chucky Atkins----------->Tierre Brown (unproven turnover prone)
Kobe Bryant------------->Kareem Rush (stinking it up after foot injury)
Caron Butler------------->Luke Walton (Ok.. but not a threat right now)
Lamar Odom------------->Brian Cook (No defense, streaky offense)
Chris Mihm--------------->Brian Grant (Only bright spot)

Believe it or not, this team could really use Slava right now. Cook isn't getting it done. No backup for Kobe pretty much. Lamar is foul prone. Caron is offensive foul prone lol... That doesn't help when you don't have depth. Tierre hasn't really done anything this season aside from tear up Altanta's inexperienced guys when we already had the big lead.

All I can say now is we really need guys coming back from injury! I missed the first half, but I imagine the lack of depth contributed to losing the lead. We can't beat Houston on a road back to back with the current team. Someone other then Kobe will have to go off for us to stand a chance.
Supastas

Postby gill on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:02 pm

lalfan wrote:
MarkMadsen wrote:

true, but in a close ballgame especially toward the end we don't have an offensive game plan, it'll be either the wrong guys jacking up long jump shots or kobe going one on five, if we have better shooters we can run drive and kick or pick and pop to death. i know defense is our bigger problem i was just saying that with better shooters around our team we can at least survive couple of these games with poor poor defensive efforts.

But so far in all those losses with poor defensive efforts, they've all been lopsided. Our best chance at a comeback was tonight. They got the lead down to 4 with Kobe's and Grant's offense, but again, they couldn't get any stops on the defensive end or haul down some key rebounds.
gill

Postby IpracticeKobeMoves on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:04 pm

man the defense today was really horrible... there was a big defensive drop off when cook came in for mihm.... that going along with odom being in foul trouble also didn't help... i was watching the game and they were really calling some bad calls on odom... seems like odom just can't get a break... Cook should really try concentrating on defense more because we all know he can pick and pop.

eat sleep watch lakers.
IpracticeKobeMoves

Postby Supastas on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:08 pm

Furious D wrote:

I totally agree bad fish. Very well put. Our guys coming off totally lost the game for us in the 2nd quarter. It just shows that theyre still young and need more experience. I'm gonna go out soon too. Maybe get a drink and shoot some pool. :man1:

So they did contribute to losing the lead? This isn't the first time. The reason New Orleans had that big comeback is Rudy T started the fourth with the bench guys and they got abused allowing 10 quick points in a very short period of time.
Supastas

Postby NawlinsLakerFan on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:08 pm

Jumaine getting hurt really messed us up big time, in the depth department. Not to mention, all the injuries.
NawlinsLakerFan

Postby hoopschick03 on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:10 pm

Supastas wrote:
Furious D wrote:

So they did contribute to losing the lead? This isn't the first time. The reason New Orleans had that big comeback is Rudy T started the fourth with the bench guys and they got abused allowing 10 quick points in a very short period of time.

Absolutely. Luke and Rush came into the game along with Tierre and there went the 16 point lead.....FAST. And momentum is something that once you lose it, it's very hard to get back....especially as the road. The Lakers never got it back.
YES WE CAN.
hoopschick03

Postby Supastas on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:11 pm

IpracticeKobeMoves wrote:man the defense today was really horrible... there was a big defensive drop off when cook came in for mihm.... that going along with odom being in foul trouble also didn't help... i was watching the game and they were really calling some bad calls on odom... seems like odom just can't get a break... Cook should really try concentrating on defense more because we all know he can pick and pop.

Lamar Odom is always in foul trouble! Did you see that fifth foul against Francis? Keep your hands out the cookie jar! He seriously needs to stop picking up those pointless fouls. And Caron needs to stop getting offensive fouls.
Supastas

Postby Ring It Up on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:14 pm

Bryant's night wasn't without incident. He started jawing with a fan sitting courtside late in the first half, yelling obscenities and finally responding by saying, "You woke me up now."

Can anyone who got to see the game explain this?
How do I know Jesus loves me so much he doesn't want me working the whole weekend?
Exodus 31:15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death.
Don't believe those lies, son! The only lies worth believing are the ones in the Bible! Can I get an amen?
Ring It Up

Postby Supastas on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:18 pm

Ring It Up wrote:
Bryant's night wasn't without incident. He started jawing with a fan sitting courtside late in the first half, yelling obscenities and finally responding by saying, "You woke me up now."

Can anyone who got to see the game explain this?

I saw him say something to a fan near the end of the second quarter. He just had got DeShawn Stevenson in the air, and swished the shot plus foul. The fan was probably saying stuff to him. It isn't the first time he said something like that. I remember a regular season game in Detroit someone saying "Too little too late" to him and he said "Nuh uh, It's my time now".
Supastas

Postby Shaq Fan on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:37 pm

GREAT GAME :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

props to hoopskillz, OTK, Eyecue and DA.....
Shaq Fan

Postby BigAkers on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:39 pm

Shaq Fan wrote:GREAT GAME :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

Yeah, the Heat did great too :man10:
In other news, Ric Bucher reports that Kobe Bryant gave steroids to Barry Bonds. More coming soon.....

:wave: Playoffs
BigAkers

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Gameday