Fri. 12/12 vs. Mavs - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:49 pm

I got two things to blame this game one: Steve Javie and the ferocity of the Lakers.

But before I start ranting on that, I have to commemorate Don Nelson for not getting a technical today--congratulations man, you didn't get pissed off at the high-tempo game! I also have to commemorate you for hack-a-shaq and using the zone defense on us. Without Payton, we didn't have too many creators for us and our offense was idiotic...we couldn't use the triangle and we kept throwing up bricks. Fisher, 0 for 9 is totally unexcusable and if you can't do that please have the decency to make two free throws. Kareem Rush played well in the first half but laxed off at the second...our downfall period. Don Nelson and Mark Cuban, too, deserve credit for Shaq's free-throw mechanics...for the understanding of them. FSW said that both of them used hack-a-shaq because they studied Shaq's momentum...and he got a lot of lane violations due to that, but shot 10-24 from the line...whew...thats horrid...and that rubs it in on Shaq, I bet our team as a whole is pissed....dude....

NOW I hate Javie....he was the only biased referee who hands out technicals like candy....dude, he got Ron Artest ejected too....can't he give Nelson a technical, he's the leadingest coach in technicals....he was a little too strict and some calls were really biased, got Jack Nicholson and the fans heated up about chants of Javie, the Lakers could have won w/out Javie....Payton would have been the differencemaker, Fisher is in a forever slump and we have no reall PG to man the offense w/out him...and Kobe ain't a PG....4-18 perhaps is the reason....but we really sucked w/out Payton, so we basically didn't lose, the Mavs didn't deserve this game, they CHEATED US OFF OF IT.

Now the ferocity of the Lakes is a concern. Wow...never seen them this pissed. Well, the Mavs haven't won here in 13 years, 13 is a bad luck number, man oh man, 18-4's not bad though, but this really seemed to have taken the wind out of us. Cuban's cheap tricks and his idiotic players...we got tormented by his rookie JOSH HOWARD....that fool, 5 offensive rebounds, man we were fools to not play defense much....well, we played but it seemed that we played awful even with the ferocity we had...awful.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:49 pm

this is unbelievable....

im NEVER missing another laker FRIDAY game again....

last time i missed a laker friday game was tha game against new orleans, and we LOST that game...

so 0-2 when tha lakers play on friday and when i dont watch them on friday....

this is pitiful...i wish i had seen tha game

i was out for my friends birthday, and hes a laker fan too, i thot he'd give them good luck sicne it is his birthday...ohw ell...
FabFourLakers

Postby Timmah on Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:52 pm

I thought the officiating was 10 times better than the last matchup between the two. I'll admit that the Payton ejection seemed a bit harsh, but I don't really know whaqt payton said befor he launched the ball purposely by the official.
Dominique to Karla "You're a cheap-shot artist. You're not a man. You always go out there to hurt somebody smaller than you."
Timmah

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:52 pm

MAN... u need to watch Lakers game on Friday :man6:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby BDG on Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:59 pm

I hate to blame losses on the officiating, but the LAKERS GOT SCREWED tonight.

The ejection of Payton and the 4 early technical fouls plus the flagrant foul call all were terrible and threw off the Lakers' rhythm.

On the So Cal Sports Report, Jack Haley and Van Earl Wright both went off on Steve Jaffe. Jaffe is a complete idiot with an undeniable hatred for the Lakers. He goes on a power trip when he gets on the floor and it looks like he jumps at any opportunity to make a bad call simply to generate a reaction from the fans.

Another issue is Kobe's poor shooting. This was not the Lakers' night, nor was it Kobe's. He shot up a poor 4/18, something that's very rare for #8.

I also disagree with Phil Jackson's decision to have Devean George guard Dirk Nowitzki. Yes, Devean has the athleticism to contend with Dirk, but that's a serious height mismatch there. Devean's giving up about 4 inches or so to Nowitzki and as a result, Dirk exploded for 19 in the first half. I think Phil should have put a normal matchup on Dirk and put Malone on him and get physical. Then again, remember-- Phil's always taking notes and expoiting key mismatches that won't occur in the playoffs. That was some players will be very unfamiliar with how to play against a particular defender.

Like I said, tonight simply was not the Lakers' night.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:03 pm

ok even tho i didnt watch tha game...lets not complain about tha refereeing...cuz then we'll be WHINERS like tha kings and spurs fans...so lets jus MOVE ON...we're gonna have games like these where tha refs are gonna be biased and not want tha lakers to succeed...i mean ive never heard ofa p layer gettin ejected within tha first 5 minutes of tha game...i was pretty damn surprised when i saw gary payton only played 7 minutes..

now i know ANTI-FISH is gonna come on soon and rant about fisher...and for tha first time, hes right...0-9? 0-2 from tha line? wtf happened to him? he used to be clutch for us...hell he was our startin pg, when payton goes out, we expect him to come rigth in and contribute...what tha hell happened? We should have played Luke Walton...oh well...

hafta give mavs credit, they did it without Finley, and beat us on our homecourt after 13 yrs...welll atleast we got our home loss now and not later in tha season...i think we woulda won tha game if we had payton...but i dint think he'd make that much of a difference...but i guess he did...especially since kobe went 4-18...thats horrible...i cant believe kobe only made 4 shots...this is very hard to believe ESPECIALLY against tha mavs...man we gotta win tommorow night...it woulda been so great to get a win tonight tho and a win tommorow night and then we could rest for 6 days...but hopefully we get a good comeback win in portland tommorow night and then work on all aspects of tha team game for 6 days...come back and start another winning streak....dont worry laker fans dont get so down , a loss is a loss, dont dwell on it...its how tha lakers REACT to tah loss...they gotta let this one slip, i mean how many times have tha mavs beaten us over tha last couple of yrs? we still own them...we got screwed tonight by tha refs...but thats OK we cant put 100% of tha blame on tha refs ya know? we gotta take some responsibility for tha loss....i guess tha lakers jus didnt react in tha way tha refs wanted them to...but hey lets keep our heads up and try to look at tha positives of this game...rush played good and had alot more playin time...hopefully we can use him more and more since fisher is struggling right now....well i guess shaq's free throws hurt us tremendously tonight...oh well..its tha MAVS...we still own them
FabFourLakers

Postby ITS JOEY on Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:04 pm

ahh i forgot to switch to FSN for the second half of the game. i'm sure bill lambier is enjoying this. i dont agree with the four early T's, but the flagrant was going to be called no matter what, and it was a good call.
ITS JOEY

Postby BDG on Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:07 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:ok even tho i didnt watch tha game...lets not complain about tha refereeing...cuz then we'll be WHINERS like tha kings and spurs fans...so lets jus MOVE ON...we're gonna have games like these where tha refs are gonna be biased and not want tha lakers to succeed...i mean ive never heard ofa p layer gettin ejected within tha first 5 minutes of tha game...i was pretty damn surprised when i saw gary payton only played 7 minutes..
Good point, I think that's what separates Laker fans from the rest. I just had to get that out though-- if you watched the game you'd probably be pretty pissed off too, F4L. But look at the bright side, we're 18-4.

Quick fact, I don't know if anyone mentioned this-- it was on this SAME EXACT night, December 12th, 13 years ago that the Mavs last beat us on our home floor. How weird is that?
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby o0O kb8 O0o on Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:12 pm

why we lost:

1)Paytons ejection
2)Kobe suked
3)Shaq cant shoot FT for sh***
4)refs suked

we cant blame it all on the refs...but 2 of my 4 reasons have to do wid the refs
o0O kb8 O0o

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:13 pm

BryantDunkGiant wrote:
FabFourLakers wrote:ok even tho i didnt watch tha game...lets not complain about tha refereeing...cuz then we'll be WHINERS like tha kings and spurs fans...so lets jus MOVE ON...we're gonna have games like these where tha refs are gonna be biased and not want tha lakers to succeed...i mean ive never heard ofa p layer gettin ejected within tha first 5 minutes of tha game...i was pretty damn surprised when i saw gary payton only played 7 minutes..
Good point, I think that's what separates Laker fans from the rest. I just had to get that out though-- if you watched the game you'd probably be pretty pissed off too, F4L. But look at the bright side, we're 18-4.

Quick fact, I don't know if anyone mentioned this-- it was on this SAME EXACT night, December 12th, 13 years ago that the Mavs last beat us on our home floor. How weird is that?

coincidence? or a lil money shufflin between cuban and tha refs? i dont know either....

but one thing that made me have a bad feeling about tonight...

whenever tha sixers lose, tha lakers happen to lose too...its like its never one or tha other...its either both lose or both win... and these are my 2 favorite teams and they both lost at home tonight...

another thing: too many ppl were emphasizing on this home win streak against tha mavs, i mean things got really weird when Bill Laimbeer said tha mavs wont win tonight and hes a laker hater, and when he said that i jus got this really bad feeling it wasnt gonna be a good night...i mean TOO MANY PPL said tha lakers were gonna trample over tha mavs...it was jus too much....
FabFourLakers

Postby BDG on Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:15 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:coincidence? or a lil money shufflin between cuban and tha refs? i dont know either....
Funny I was thinking the same exact thing because he talked to these same exact officials about Shaq's lane violations among other things before the game... doubt it though.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:20 pm

cuban has been runnin his mouth for a long time about tha lakers...and he FINALLY got a win against us....but of course they didnt get tha win fairly...if payton was there and none of those T's were called...TRUST ME tha lakers woulda won...EVERY person knows that!
FabFourLakers

Postby Timmah on Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:20 pm

"oh well..its tha MAVS...we still own them"
This is the most true thing that I've read tonight in this thread, but the good thing for the Mavs is that Walker and Howard don't know anything about this.
Dominique to Karla "You're a cheap-shot artist. You're not a man. You always go out there to hurt somebody smaller than you."
Timmah

Postby BDG on Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:23 pm

Terrible defense by our frontcourt. Dirk and Walker BOTH had 27 points. I can understand why Dirk exploded (Devean = short defender for him) but Walker?

He's overrated, fat, slow... I can go on if I want to. Bad defense and we gave up too many second chance points and offensive rebounds.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:24 pm

Timmah wrote:"oh well..its tha MAVS...we still own them"
This is the most true thing that I've read tonight in this thread, but the good thing for the Mavs is that Walker and Howard don't know anything about this.

ya i think walker and howard were tha difference of tha game....but in tha back of tha mavs minds...they knew they havent TRULY beaten us yet...payton was ejected within tha first 7 minutes of tha 1st quarter...so they basically play a payton-less laker team, and we get fish who shoots 0-9....so it was jus not our night...

one thing i want to happen: mavs better not lose their next game...if they are gonna beat tha lakers, atleast BUILD on that win, im gonna be super pissed if they lose their next game after beatin us...that'll jus be a waste....
FabFourLakers

Postby BDG on Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:26 pm

Fisher was ICE COLD tonight too-- 0/9 shooting, 0 points.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Timmah on Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:40 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:

ya i think walker and howard were tha difference of tha game....but in tha back of tha mavs minds...they knew they havent TRULY beaten us yet...payton was ejected within tha first 7 minutes of tha 1st quarter...so they basically play a payton-less laker team, and we get fish who shoots 0-9....so it was jus not our night...

one thing i want to happen: mavs better not lose their next game...if they are gonna beat tha lakers, atleast BUILD on that win, im gonna be super pissed if they lose their next game after beatin us...that'll jus be a waste....

Well Last year I would have told you the Mavs will win the next game, but this year who knows? The Mavs have really only played two good games this year: this one and against the Hornets. We beat the Spurs twice while playing crappy, but we also lost to some sorry Leastern teams without Nash.This game was definately a break out game for us though.
Timmah

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:44 pm

Timmah wrote:
FabFourLakers wrote:

Well Last year I would have told you the Mavs will win the next game, but this year who knows? The Mavs have really only played two good games this year: this one and against the Hornets. We beat the Spurs twice while playing crappy, but we also lost to some sorry Leastern teams without Nash.This game was definately a break out game for us though.

i hate when teams beat tha lakers and then lose tha next night to some crappy team like tha wizards....i HATE that..i mean atleast build upon that win u know? i jus dont see how tha mavs can beat tha lakers after losin by 1 against tha clipppers...and they did it without finley...props to tha mavs for showin up tonight...but they got some help from tha refs...they were clearly on tha mavs side tonight...oh well no more complainin bout refs...we're laker fans...not QUEENS fans
FabFourLakers

Postby Timmah on Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:14 am

The Clippers game was Nash's worst game of the year. The Mavs are generally only as good as Nash makes them.
Timmah

Postby PiEdIe on Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:53 am

this sukks, I dont like this
PiEdIe

Postby ZenMaster4President on Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:01 am

Here is what i think - if we are to be a great team history wise we should be able to win those - technical fouls or not, the Mavs beat us - offensive rebounds, some rookie goes double-double, comon it had little to do with the officiating, we should rely so heavily on GP or whoever - so its just showed us that we are still far from being close to true greatness.

Too bad, bad it will probably be the best thing happend to us since GP and Malone moving in - the REALITY check!

A lot of guys here talking about owning da Spurs, da Mavs etc, etc - it aint right - we are a team in a progress, so there will be slumps and bruises along the way, we DONT own anyone - its a tough league!

And we definetely DONT own the Mavs yet, nor anyone else - the schedule was good with us by far but its going to be much worse in Jan and Feb - then we will know if we own anybody!

Its all good though, if we get the homecourt advantage by playoffs i cannoy see any team win a 7 games series against us, the problem is we still have to get this homecourt advantage.

We'll see what happens.
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby JSM on Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:46 am

I would have been on here with yall last night, but my internet wasn't working, good night for it to be down huh.

Well...here's all I got to say

We lost this game because Cuban paid off the refs, plus it didn't help any that Javie hates the Lakers, and especially Phil (from the Chicago days). This guy even got MJ and Pip to hate him, he can't call a fair game if his life depended on it. Next time, I hope Payton drills him with the ball. I actually will go to a Hawks game, if I find out he's reffing, and start a Javie suck chant, I hate this man.

The Mavs, went with the good old hack-a-Shaq plan( I think they are the only team to still do this), and to some degree it worked. Yeah, he made some, but he couldn't make the big free throws when he needed to, he could have cut it to 5 at one point, and we could have had something to work with and be abel to make a solid run for a come back; but instead he misses them and a couple possession game is a only a dream.

Well, guys, we got to wait till Jan 22 to see these guys go at it again, and it's on TNT, I can't wait. I used to enjoy watching the Mavs, but I now hate them. I hate Cuban (paid off refs), Nelson (used hack a Shaq, that's cheap), Walker (looks like he's about to cry, makes a 3 and thinks he's God, and talked crap to Shaq), Nash (if he didn't cry to Stern like a baby, then Malone wouldn't have missed the Jazz game).

I hope Shaq knocks the crap out of Walker next time they play each other, you don't talk smack to the big fella, he will knock you out. And then we would get to see Walker cry like a baby.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:03 am

Ok, after re-watching the game last night, here's some quick LD2K facts for thought.

1) The referees truly did have control of the game (Whether you agree or not, they did)

2) The Mavs played spectacular, DON'T take anything away from them.

3) With Payton ejected, the Lakers did not transition their game well from the fast pace, to the non excistent fast break type of play. They wern't expecting that in a sense.

4) 4 T's in a span of under 1 minute is absolutly ridiculous :disagree:

5) The Mavericks got their hands on seemingly EVERY loose ball, like I said above, give them their credit where it is due.

6) Javie is biased. After watching the calls last night, any typical fan could see that. Even when I watch other teams, if the ref'ing is as bad as it was tonight, I will post my anger within their team forums. Many of you who know me well know I do this from time to time.

7) The Lakers had their chances to come back, but the Mavs answered where the Lakers failed. It's as simple as that.

Lastly, I don't agree with a ref dictating the game as tightly as Javie did tonight throwing out Payton. But that's what it was and the Lakers failed to defeat a well-playing Mavs team. We'll be back tommorow to see Portland.

See you in the future Mavs...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby mo' betta blue on Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:56 pm

It a madhouse!!! A madhouse!!! A tough bitter loss for the Lakers. I thought the raw emotions will light the fire in the Lakers' belly. Not enough to inspire them to play good defense and outhustle the Mavs. They allowed too many defensive rebounds to the Mavs, didnt rebound their own missed shots, and didnt shoot well. I cant believe the Mavs outhustle the Lakers. I wouldve understand if it was the Pistons. It seems like the Mavs were getting the loose balls. Where's Madsen when you need him? Shaq, Kobe, and Fisher missed a bunch of shots. Rush and Bryon played extremely well, hitting most of their shots. Rush played like he could do no wrong. Hoped he keeps it up. I'm finally seeing his offensive potential.

The only Lakers highlight was that Jack Nicholson went off on the referees. A great performance since he played the Joker in the first Batman movie. It'll be cool if he showed up in full Joker makeup and costume to a Lakers game to watch over the referees. :man9:

Wait till they get a load of me- Joker in the first Batman movie
mo' betta blue

Previous

Return to Lakers Gameday