Friday, Jan. 30
7:30 pm
TV: FSN, NBALP
Radio: KLAC-AM 570/KWKW-AM 1330
Recap | Box Score | Photos | Highlights

Timberwolves - 97
Lakers - 84

Lakers to Hit the Road
The Lakers led by nine at halftime but couldn't contain Minnesota's backcourt in a 97-84 home loss Friday. Shaquille O'Neal finished with a team-high 22 points for L.A., which now embarks on a seven-game road trip.

Post your comments here...
Last edited by Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby lakerzrule on Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:17 pm

Minnesota's the hottest team right now in the NBA, but if Golden State can beat KG and his pack of Wolves, I think the Lakers can also. The second unit will have to play as well or even better than they did against the Sonics, and Shaq, Fox, Kobe, and Gary will have to have big games. There's almost no room for error here, and this game is important because winning it would provide an enormous boost to LA before it goes on the grueling seven-game road trip. Revenge will be sweet as well. :jam2:
lakerzrule

Postby purple_and_gold_fever on Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:07 pm

lakers will win. but i think it will be a close one.
lakers-98
wolves-94
purple_and_gold_fever

Postby iWuVkObE8BrYaNT on Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:43 pm

oOoOoh this is gona be a great game!!! im hopin and prayin they get the W! :jam2:

`Behind every great man is a great woman`

`It is not necessary to hope in order to undertake, or to succeed in order to perservere`
iWuVkObE8BrYaNT

Postby SMUnderground on Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:46 pm

yea..i guess lakers will win..a REALLY CLOSE on..prob by 2 pt lead..99-97W
SMUnderground

Postby wongy on Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:00 pm

Wolves just lost to the Warriors so maybe this might be the start of a slide for them... :man3:
"Stu" should be the man...
wongy

Postby Andrew Evenstar on Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:16 am

damn i was going to say a L, but if the wolves just lost to the warriors, then a W. if we were at full strength, i'd obviously say a W.
[The Will To Act] | [My Music Blog]

Born a Laker fan.
Andrew Evenstar

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:19 am

This is going to be a tough game, against a tough team.

I think, now with Fox, Kobe, and Shaq back, that the Lakers have enough firepower and depth once again to claim this one.
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby noxcel on Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:34 am

we need to have a good game from shaq and payton, also slava needs to hit open shots, and we will win :jam2:

if the only player to play good will be Kobe and others will not bring their 'A' game, we will lose :jam2:
noxcel

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:53 am

Did You Know?

- Since Kevin Garnett came into the league. The wolves have only been 1-14 in Los Angeles.
LD2k.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby DNP on Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:32 pm

i didn't know that. well, obviously the wolves will play much harder than they did at warriors because they want to prove something. the media doesn't care about the warriors unless they play the lakers. it seems like all the teams are becoming good whenever the play the lakers.
DNP

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:47 pm

KOBE BRYANT INJURED: Mycheal Thompson on 1150am. just reported he cut his right index finger and needed 8 stitches, and will be out 1 week.
LD2k.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby noxcel on Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:21 pm

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:KOBE BRYANT INJURED: Mycheal Thompson on 1150am. just reported he cut his right index finger and needed 8 stitches, and will be out 1 week.

great, now we will lose :bang:
noxcel

Postby JSM on Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:24 pm

we need a huge game from Shaq, he needs to play the whole game and stop KG.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:39 pm

this is unbelievable...

i think we're seriously cursed...kobe cut his finger while moving BOXES in his house...

how unfortunate is that...

lakers will lose...dont care what u guys say but we cant win with a soft shaq and payton...KG cassell and spree are way too much for us to handle
FabFourLakers

Postby iWuVkObE8BrYaNT on Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:06 pm

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:KOBE BRYANT INJURED: Mycheal Thompson on 1150am. just reported he cut his right index finger and needed 8 stitches, and will be out 1 week.

8 stitches? what happened?

`Behind every great man is a great woman`

`It is not necessary to hope in order to undertake, or to succeed in order to perservere`
iWuVkObE8BrYaNT

Postby JSM on Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:08 pm

iWuVkObE8BrYaNT wrote: 8 stitches? what happened?

Here is all the info on the injury:
http://www.clublakers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6912

Basically he cut his finger on glass and it required stitches
JSM

Postby JSM on Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:43 pm

Injury Report:

T-Wolves will be without: Hudson (ankle), Olowokandi (knee), and Szczerbiak (Foot).

Lakers will be without: Bryant (finger), Cook (finger), Malone (knee), and J. Sampson (ankle)
JSM

Postby lakerzrule on Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:08 pm

With Kobe out, the Lakers are likely to lose, but at least we have Shaq and Fox. Let's hope they break out in this game, GP and the others step up, the T-Wolves have more bad luck in L.A., and Kobe heals up fast.
lakerzrule

Postby JSM on Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:50 pm

Payton/Cassell:
Former teammates going head to head, again. I think Payton will win this matchup, because he will know what makes Cassell tick and how to stop him, since he played with him...he should have used this to his advantage last time, but not having #34 made it a little more difficult to do so, but this time around look for it to be a different story. Also Cassell is going to get tired, because he has to play almost this entire game, because they have no one to back him up, unless you think they are seriously going to give the guy they signed to a 10 day much time against the Lakers. I mean, they can put Hoiberg or Hassell in for him for a little amount of time, but that wouldn't be too effective against Payton. So, Payton has to run so he can get Cassell tired fairly early on. Payton has to look to score more tonight, but not by forcing the shot, he need to take it to the hoop as often as possible and not shoot as many jumpers. He needs to play good defense too, because Cassell is their second leading scorer, and if he can be stopped, then we will have a lot better chance of winning this game. Look for Payton to get a lot of easy buckets when Cassell goes out and when Shaq is in the game.

Rush/Hassell & Hoiberg: Rush should have an easy night against the T-Wolves, just look at who he's guarding, maybe we should give these defensive assignments to George. Rush shouldn't have many problems stopping this 11 ppg combo. Look for Rush to have a solid night, stepping in the starting line up in Kobe's place who is now on the IR. Rush's shots should come easier with Shaq in the game, so I expect the points will come easier for him.

George & Fox/Spree: their third option going against our weakest starter...doesn't sound too good does it?. For us to win, George has to play D, and try to limit Spree's shots and force him to take it to the basket, because with Shaq in there Spree won't get many inside shots off. Hopefully George can give us some scoring and rebounding too, but I think he is going to be outdone by Spree, hopefully he won't score too much, even though he will probably be their leading scorer.

Slava/KG: This is where we are going to realize how nice it is to have Shaq back. Now Slava won't have to worry about getting killed by KG, because if KG gets past Slava, he still has to go through Shaq. Sorry KG, no 20, 10, & 10 for you tonight. I think Shaq's presence will be felt a lot more tonight, he will use a lot of his energy on stopping KG, and we will see if Slava can knock down some big shots for us and make KG come out and guard him, which will leave Shaq basically open for a shot, unless you consider Shaq's opponents adequate defenders. So it's KG vs Shaq and Slava, KG will be pulling double shift tonight, hopefully that will tire him out. We need for Slava to have a better game than he did against the Sonics. Look for the Shaq/Slava tag team to win this matchup, sorry KG, but your presence won't be felt so much tonight.

Shaq/Johnson, Madsen, & Miller:
Shaq should just double Kg all night, because these guys aren't even worth guarding. Look at what Shaq gets to go up against (I bet he's happy)--Johnson, he still plays :man4:, no but he is rather old to be playing Shaq. Miller is slow and fat, hopefully he will encourage Shaq to get into even better shape, because who would want to be the next Oliver Miller. And Madsen, the human can of red bull, and that's about all he is...a whole lot of energy. Shaq will destroy all of these guys...I don't care if he is only 1%, these guys shouldn't even be considered a matchup. None of the them are scoring threats, so that makes it easier for us on defense, and none of them are very good defenders either, so Shaq and Rush have it easy tonight...enjoy guys.
JSM

Postby JSM on Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:04 pm

the game is underway
JSM

Postby JSM on Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:10 pm

Image 10

Image 6

6:43 left in the 1st
JSM