(LAL/SA) Game 1 - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby kbryant on Sat May 01, 2004 10:39 am

do u think guys lakers play bad at early games???

:freak2: its at 3:30 !!
if you dont believe in yourself, no one else will...

============KOBE===============
kbryant

Postby Ginofan on Sat May 01, 2004 10:46 am

heehee!

kobe will kill ur bruce bowen.

I'm looking foward to the matchup as well :)
<<..SAN ANTONIO SPURS..>>..<<..2005 NBA CHAMPS..>>
Ginofan
Clublakers Rep: Spurs

Postby purple_and_gold_fever on Sat May 01, 2004 11:00 am

Ginofan wrote:heehee!

kobe will kill ur bruce bowen.

I'm looking foward to the matchup as well :)

:jam2:
purple_and_gold_fever

Postby Kobe8Bryant on Sat May 01, 2004 11:03 am

Lakers will win game one and the series in 6, kobe will have a huge game tomorrow.
Kobe8Bryant

Postby G|B|G|B on Sat May 01, 2004 11:30 am

was Reading LA times
this series would have different REALLY different if Horry made that shot in game 5
Instead of us having malone we would have horry
and instead of spurs have horry they would have....
Malone
=/
G|B|G|B
ClubHeatHoops.com Administrator

Postby kobe4life08 on Sat May 01, 2004 11:32 am

La 89 SA 83
kobe4life08

Postby Guest on Sat May 01, 2004 12:10 pm

i'd like to see kobe splitting gino and bowen's defense then slamming a facial dunk over TD

Postby DarkHadou10 on Sat May 01, 2004 12:26 pm

if u want to see some chair pulling, it'll be Malone chair pulling on Tim Duncan jus like he did on Yao.
DarkHadou10

Postby DarkHadou10 on Sat May 01, 2004 12:27 pm

if u want to see some chair pulling, it'll be Malone chair pulling on Tim Duncan jus like he did on Yao.
DarkHadou10

Postby DarkHadou10 on Sat May 01, 2004 12:28 pm

DarkHadou10

Postby G|B|G|B on Sat May 01, 2004 12:53 pm

LOL
True!
G|B|G|B

Postby Realm of Shadows on Sat May 01, 2004 1:11 pm

They may TRY to stop Kobe, but they can never contain MDE.
What do you get when you fall in love? You only get lies and pain and sorrow.
I feel so much like giving up
Realm of Shadows
Proud Mestizo

Postby and1_is_ql on Sat May 01, 2004 1:31 pm

the series will be at least six matches long, maybe seven, but i won't predict who's gonna win...
I Love This Game...
and1_is_ql

Postby G|B|G|B on Sat May 01, 2004 1:34 pm

Heres some stuff I believe they need to do inorder to win:
Shaq needs to work on FT, if you make missing just keep going back to that line till you start making.
Malone, pull some chairs on Timmy, play the best D on him, as if this is your last game.
GP, your going to let some french guy go past you? NO! Guard and never give up on the plays
Kobe, Have one hell of a game, just kill them for what they did to you last year.
George, make them pay for leaving you open !
Bench, dont let the lead go away when you are in
Lakers - Never give up
G|B|G|B

Postby lakerzrule on Sat May 01, 2004 3:40 pm

This is going to be one long Gameday thread. :man1:
lakerzrule

Postby Realm of Shadows on Sat May 01, 2004 3:57 pm

lakerzrule wrote:This is going to be one long Gameday thread. :man1:

I was thinking the same thing, already 4 pages and the game isn't even close to starting. :man10:
Realm of Shadows
Proud Mestizo

Postby JSM on Sat May 01, 2004 5:08 pm

Here are matchups brought to you by Hoophype:

Gary Payton vs Tony Parker
Payton struggled guarding a quicker player like Francis in the first round. Now he faces one of the quickest players in basketball in Tony Parker, who happens to be in much better shape than GP right now.

Kobe Bryant vs Bruce Bowen
Bruce Bowen held Kobe Bryant to 43 percent shooting in last year's series. How tolerant will referees be with Bowen's tactics this time? That could be a very important factor in the final outcome.

D. George vs H. Turkoglu
Unable to hit a shot, Rick Fox has been replaced by Devean George in the starting lineup. He should be no match for the bigger and more talented Hidayet Turkoglu.

Karl Malone vs Tim Duncan
Karl Malone has to stay away from foul trouble while facing Spurs superstar Tim Duncan. The Los Angeles Lakers have no reliable backup able to guard the current MVP.

S. O'Neal vs R. Nesterovic
Shaquille O'Neal was just a shadow of his old self against the Rockets. Was it because of Yao Ming or has his decline become more obvious? We may get an answer in the next two weeks.

Kareem Rush vs. E. Ginobili
Kareem Rush brings scoring punch off the bench for the Lakers. Ginobili can bring anything you ask him for. And he is just one of several reserve players able to contribute in San Antonio.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Sat May 01, 2004 5:11 pm

Here is a matchup breakdown brough to you by Insider

Point guard: L.A. will start Payton, who loves to push the ball ahead quickly in transition before setting up the triangle offense. He still is very dangerous on the left side of the floor in transition when isolated and loves that mid-post area against smaller players, like Parker. He makes good decisions coming off screens with the ball and almost always finds the open man.

Fisher will back him up and also play with Payton. Fisher has been a playoff starter, so this will be nothing new to him. Trust me -- he will be in there late to guard Parker. Kobe also will play some point. Of course, with Phil Jackson's triangle offense, there is no true point guard. It's considered a two-guard front, so the primary ball-handling responsibilities are shared.

San Antonio counters with Parker. There isn't a quicker, more accomplished young point guard in the NBA right now. Parker was tremendous against Memphis, outplaying Jason Williams. He has played in big playoff games with success, amazing since he won't turn 22 until May 17. He can get his own shot with his penetration, knock down shots, and is unselfish. He has to be huge if San Antonio is to win.

His backup, Jason Hart, hit his head on the floor against Memphis but is OK. He is a very good defender and an underrated shooter. He will have to prove it, because L.A. will leave him to double elsewhere. That is why Ginobili will play the point some. Charlie Ward won't see much action.
Advantage: Even

Off guard: Kobe had 31 points, 10 assists, and 6 rebounds after his three-day stint in Eagle, Colo. He might have to miss a game in this series for his May 10 court date, and it could be critical if he does. Kobe only shot 34 percent in the Houston series but made them when it counted. He will do the same in this series. No one is more accomplished on the perimeter at both ends of the floor.

His backup, Kareem Rush, shot the ball very well coming off the bench against Houston. Jackson is playing him more and more.

San Antonio starts all-defensive first-teamer Bruce Bowen, who has had success getting into Kobe's body and playing physical with him. He will not worry too much about helping out on other people, as his eyes will be glued to Kobe's chest. He is an excellent 3-point shooter but a poor FT shooter. Go figure. This matchup will be heated with trash talking before the series gets very far. Ginobili or Turkoglu play there, as well, in the Spurs' rotation.
Advantage: Lakers

Small forward: Devean George now starts for the Lakers, as Rick Fox has been slowed by nagging injuries. George is capable of having big scoring nights and will get open shots all series, because his man will be helping on everyone else. Fox has been slow laterally in keeping people in front of him defensively, but obviously he has been through all of this before. Bryon Russell won't get to play much unless there are foul problems or an injury.

The Spurs start Turkoglu. I like the way he plays and has become accustomed to his new style of play and role now after coming over from Sacramento. He can make the 3-point shot, hitting 41.9 percent from distance on the season, compared to 40.6 overall. Ginobili came in third in the balloting for sixth-man of the year. He will play any one of three positions on the floor. If he gets the first step on you when he drives to his left, he is gone. Manu is the Spurs third-best player.
Advantage: Spurs

Power forward: Malone will stop at nothing to win this series any way he can. His intensity in the Houston series left a mark with his teammates. He will have to continue to put up big numbers, and he should get plenty of open jump shots because of the help that Shaq requires. As in years past, he would just as soon make a great assist as score himself. He is all about winning. The problem is, he is going to have to guard possibly the best player in the NBA in Duncan.

Stansilav Medvenenko is a more than capable backup at both inside positions. Luke Walton will need to play better in his short minutes than he did against Houston. He is a clutch player who is all about winning.

San Antonio's Duncan owns a bank shot from outside either block that is prettier and softer than anyone's. He will have to make important free throws, and he has struggled with this. That is his only weak link.

Backup Malik Rose is the banger off the bench who can put up quick points because he is relentless inside. He has been up and down but has played well in long stretches. Robert Horry will be on the floor for extended minutes including at the end of games. This will be quite interesting, as he has five championship rings, three with the Lakers. He just continues to knock down big time shots. He likely will have to live up to his reputation as "Mr. April, May, and June."
Advantage: Spurs, because the have both Duncan and Horry. You have to root for Malone, though.

Center: This will be a mismatch, as it usually is when the Lakers play. L.A., of course, starts O'Neal. His defense improved against Houston and Yao in the first-round series. Shaq has shown he can get out on those screens when he wants to and is not tired. He will have to be committed to defending in all areas in this series, as his man will come over to set multiple screens late in the shot clock or pin-down for a shooter coming out for a shot. You have to foul him when he gets the ball deep, or he scores every time. He must make his share of free throws for the Lakers to win.

Medvenenko has a big body and can make the face-up shot, and rookie Brian Cook will play some as well. Malone will slide over if needed, though, when the Lakers go small.

The Spurs' Nesterovic has done a good job starting at center. His numbers are equivalent to David Robinson's at the end of Robinson's career. He is a good rebounder and can finish inside. However, Nesterovic has struggled guarding Shaq in the past due to Shaq's brute strength, and he'll need help. Willis will get a chanceto play some, and he can score from the left block. Rose looks like a midget against Shaq but has done reasonably well at times. In the fourth quarter though, Duncan will slide over and take Shaq outside.
Advantage: Lakers
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby G|B|G|B on Sat May 01, 2004 8:32 pm

15 hours till the bigg game!
get ready everyone!
get some good rest tonight
and time to cheer for lakers!
G|B|G|B

Postby shaqpak34 on Sat May 01, 2004 8:34 pm

S. O'Neal vs R. Nesterovic
Shaquille O'Neal was just a shadow of his old self against the Rockets. Was it because of Yao Ming or has his decline become more obvious? We may get an answer in the next two weeks.

regarding this, i think shaq just didn't pour it on like he usually does against the rockets..i seriously feel he was saving up for the spurs
shaqpak34

Postby purple_and_gold_fever on Sat May 01, 2004 9:11 pm

G|B|G|B wrote:15 hours till the bigg game!
get ready everyone!
get some good rest tonight
and time to cheer for lakers!

i already have my popcorns and soda ready and im inviting some friends over, some of 'em are laker haters so its going to be fun....
purple_and_gold_fever

Postby G|B|G|B on Sat May 01, 2004 9:12 pm

=P
i am going to wake up around 9, take a shower and eat
and then time to have fun
^_^
G|B|G|B

Postby purple_and_gold_fever on Sat May 01, 2004 9:15 pm

G|B|G|B wrote:=P
i am going to wake up around 9, take a shower and eat
and then time to have fun
^_^

i have to wake up 8:30 then go to church 9:30 then wait til the game starts...
lets go lakers!!!!!!!! :jam2: :jam2:
purple_and_gold_fever

Postby G|B|G|B on Sat May 01, 2004 9:16 pm

cool
bigg game!
G|B|G|B

Postby Realm of Shadows on Sat May 01, 2004 9:40 pm

Here we go Lakers here we go! Kill the Spurs Lakers kill the Spurs!!

Here we go Lakers here we go! Kill the Spurs Lakers kill the Spurs!!
Realm of Shadows
Proud Mestizo

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Gameday