(LAL/SA) Game 3 - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby slammajamma on Sun May 09, 2004 3:06 pm

That was great! That's how you end a winning streak! :jam2:
We gotta stay confident and I think we can even play better... better defensive rebounding and less turnovers this woulda been a 30-40 point blowout. :man13:
slammajamma

Postby gill on Sun May 09, 2004 3:06 pm

Kobe's actually gonna be in Colorado starting tomorrow. He'll make it back in time for Game 4 at night, but will miss practice time. Hopefully Payton will pick up the slack for him...

But we've seen it before, Bryant excels and puts in an amazing effort on the court during those type of days, despite him being tired.

Game 4 will be ours!
gill

Postby Guest on Sun May 09, 2004 3:08 pm

It would seem that Congratulating the Lakers for their win is now to be confined to this forum, so I suppose I'll repost here ...

T-Wolves Rule wrote:Good win for the Lakers.
They stayed aggressive and played well for the entire game.
Can they do it two games in a row?
Cause they better not put their hopes on the Spurs having just about everyone playing poorly for a second game in a row.

The Spurs can't be very happy about this one ... since they were given chances to get back into the game several times and just didn't play very well today.

And of course ... I feel obligated to make a Referee reference ... or I wouldn't feel like this was truly ClubLakers.com
I'm sure you're all more than happy with the Officiating in this game right?
Lakers 40 - Spurs 22 Free Throws ... Hmm, looks like all your whining paid off for you. Maybe the Refs visit CL and felt bad for you guys.
LOL

Postby gill on Sun May 09, 2004 3:10 pm

^^^the refs??? The home team almost always get the advantage when it comes to whistles.

The same thing could be said about the first two games in San Antonio.
gill

Postby Guest on Sun May 09, 2004 3:12 pm

gill wrote:^^^the refs??? The home team almost always get the advantage when it comes to whistles.

The same thing could be said about the first two games in San Antonio.

It's called Sarcasm Gill ...
Would you like me to explain it to you?

Postby gill on Sun May 09, 2004 3:17 pm

Ever wonder why sarcasm doesn't work on the 'net??? Cuz I can't hear your tone of voice. Cut me some slack, I'm just reading words.

:man7:
gill

Postby K-O-punch on Sun May 09, 2004 3:19 pm

sorry to ruin your guys parade...

but did anyone notice how phil and the lakers completely scrap the triangle out of the window in this game?

pick and roll, pick and pop, drive and dish, get on the break, looking for inside basket instead of jumpers (hence the free throws)...repeat...all of that create good spacing which enable us to score this many pts against the spurs today.
K-O-punch

Postby gill on Sun May 09, 2004 3:20 pm

FantizzleFizzle wrote:sorry to ruin your guys parade...

but did anyone notice how phil and the lakers completely scrap the triangle out of the window in this game?

pick and roll, pick and pop, drive and dish, get on the break, looking for inside basket instead of jumpers (hence the free throws)...repeat...all of that create good spacing which enable us to score this many pts against the spurs today.

That's what they've been planning even before the game started. Phil's finally realized how to use his fab 4's talents to full potential, especially with Gary Payton.
gill

Postby K-O-punch on Sun May 09, 2004 3:27 pm

gill wrote:Ever wonder why sarcasm doesn't work on the 'net??? Cuz I can't hear your tone of voice. Cut me some slack, I'm just reading words.

:man7:

LOL, i often have this problem too, believe me man, it's hard to be sarcastic on a msg board... :man10:
K-O-punch

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun May 09, 2004 3:29 pm

great win...the Lakers showed a lot more heart and energy than I have ever noticed...this is the true meaning of playoff basketball, but of course they had their fans on their side. If we are to win this series we will definitely need to capture one of those games at the SBC Center (where we won this year--and sorry for looking into the future to ruin the happiness around this thread) and win the rest of our home games--which should be easier now that we've got the momentum. I adore the blowout...this is what playoff basketball is all about. The Lakers looked freakishly dominant out there and everyone was playing at the same pace, at the same game. I also have to give some credit to the Lakers' pace of game--a bit of triangle, a bit of running, LOTs of energy, and even the benchwarmers contributed. The Spurs only shot like 35% from the field because they were frenetic, and we were playing good D, Shaq with 8 huge blocks. I like that...Shaq did look a little tired, but hell, if we keep doing this we'll be all right. WE also did a good job holding little Tony Parker in check.

But we can't accept gimmes for the next game...this is just one game, and even though we sent a message to the Spurs and the rest of the league that we can still play, there are at least two more games that we have to play--more though if we win (which we should :man12: ). I hope the Lakers don't play like their double-ended selves again and play awfully for the next game. That's what I fear the most, but all in all, the Lakers should bring the intensity and ride the crowd. We gave the Spurs no momentum when it counted. I relish that feeling absolutely. Payton had a great game, everyone played well. I'm sure the Spurs will make adjustments though, and we have to beware of that. And we have to keep winning--if we play like this we will, at all costs. :jam2:
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby LAL Bling on Sun May 09, 2004 3:30 pm

gill wrote:

That's what they've been planning even before the game started. Phil's finally realized how to use his fab 4's talents to full potential, especially with Gary Payton.

Yup, triangle doesn't work with 4 HOF. That's probably why they went with the square today. :man12:
LAL Bling

Postby JSM on Sun May 09, 2004 3:33 pm

we are going to make some more adjustments...I don't think Phil revealed all his cards yet. Kobe said they will do some more adjusting before Game 4 and may make some last minute one's on the fly, probably about him and how he feels from coming to the game straight from his court case.

We don't need to let George and Slava handle the ball as much. Both of them turned it over a couple of times, but made some bad decisions with the basket that could have cost us some of our momentum.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby LAL Bling on Sun May 09, 2004 3:36 pm

T-Wolves Rule wrote:It would seem that Congratulating the Lakers for their win is now to be confined to this forum, so I suppose I'll repost here ...

Congratulations gotta go out to the Wolves in Game 2 for nailing some big shots against the Queens. Keep that up and you could send Bibby monkey-dancing his way to the offseason.
LAL Bling

Postby LAL Bling on Sun May 09, 2004 3:39 pm

jsm0331 wrote:We don't need to let George and Slava handle the ball as much. Both of them turned it over a couple of times, but made some bad decisions with the basket that could have cost us some of our momentum.

Gotta take the good with the bad. As much I groan everytime Devean "Butterfingers" George or Slava "Never took a shot I didn't like" Medvedenko turn the ball over, I equally cheer them on when they nail their shots.
LAL Bling

Postby kbryant on Sun May 09, 2004 3:48 pm

gill wrote:

i totally agree :man7:

see, it work perfectly.

perfect defense, doubles, and offense that allows shot for open man!!

i hope we will other games play like this !! :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
dont be so happy, its not the end , it starts now...
if you dont believe in yourself, no one else will...

============KOBE===============
kbryant

Postby Realm of Shadows on Sun May 09, 2004 3:51 pm

To all those who called Shaq lazy, unmotivated, and out of it all I have to say is what now? :mad1:
What do you get when you fall in love? You only get lies and pain and sorrow.
I feel so much like giving up
Realm of Shadows
Proud Mestizo

Postby gill on Sun May 09, 2004 4:00 pm

we are going to make some more adjustments...I don't think Phil revealed all his cards yet.

That's a good way to look at it. Phil always know how to adjust to his team and its talent. I'm just surprised that it took him 2 games before he came up with a solution to utilize Payton.

I'm pretty sure he still has another set of strategy for game 4, especially with Kobe missing practice.
gill

Postby BDG on Sun May 09, 2004 4:12 pm

murcielago62 wrote:Lakers 101
Spurs 82
Damn that was close!

Actual score: 105-81

You should have played Good Call man!
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby LAL Bling on Sun May 09, 2004 4:17 pm

Realm of Shadows wrote:To all those who called Shaq lazy, unmotivated, and out of it all I have to say is what now? :mad1:

It's nice to see Shaq show up and post good numbers like he did in Game 3. But I'm still not convinced. Take his free throws. He knows he's building a new arena with the bricks he's piling up. So Shaq, how about making those free throws more often? Yeah he did well in Game 3. But his % during these playoffs is pitiful. Beyond awful. And I know Duncan isn't shooting lights out at the line either. But if you wanna change my opinion about the Big Fella being motivated, then he could at least start at the line. When you breathe a sigh of relief that he makes ONE free throw at the line, how is that comforting for a Laker fan?
LAL Bling

Postby Realm of Shadows on Sun May 09, 2004 4:36 pm

LAL Bling wrote:
Realm of Shadows wrote:To all those who called Shaq lazy, unmotivated, and out of it all I have to say is what now? :mad1:

It's nice to see Shaq show up and post good numbers like he did in Game 3. But I'm still not convinced. Take his free throws. He knows he's building a new arena with the bricks he's piling up. So Shaq, how about making those free throws more often? Yeah he did well in Game 3. But his % during these playoffs is pitiful. Beyond awful. And I know Duncan isn't shooting lights out at the line either. But if you wanna change my opinion about the Big Fella being motivated, then he could at least start at the line. When you breathe a sigh of relief that he makes ONE free throw at the line, how is that comforting for a Laker fan?

Eight blocks is damn good. Every player has a weakness, Shaq happens to be free throws.
What do you get when you fall in love? You only get lies and pain and sorrow.
I feel so much like giving up
Realm of Shadows
Proud Mestizo

Postby JSM on Sun May 09, 2004 4:52 pm

Realm of Shadows wrote:Eight blocks is damn good. Every player has a weakness, Shaq happens to be free throws.

Free throw shooting is Shaq's kryptonite
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby LAL Bling on Sun May 09, 2004 5:12 pm

Realm of Shadows wrote:Eight blocks is damn good. Every player has a weakness, Shaq happens to be free throws.

Look, I'm not taking anything away from what he accomplished in Game 3. 8 blocks is nothing to dismiss. But wouldn't you say that a motivated person would try to improve such an obvious flaw in his game?
LAL Bling

Postby BDG on Sun May 09, 2004 5:14 pm

LAL Bling wrote:

Look, I'm not taking anything away from what he accomplished in Game 3. 8 blocks is nothing to dismiss. But wouldn't you say that a motivated person would try to improve such an obvious flaw in his game?
I used to be pissed at the fact that Shaq can't make his freethrows, until recently.

This is the cause for them: http://www.clublakers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10732

I would be happy with 60% at least though. But if he plays like he did today along with the rest of our guys, we won't lose.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby LAL Bling on Sun May 09, 2004 5:15 pm

jsm0331 wrote:Free throw shooting is Shaq's kryptonite

That's why other teams would exploit his weakness. Why not turn it around and make those teams pay for hacking you? Superman can't fight kryptonite. Doesn't mean Shaq can't.
LAL Bling

Postby Ginofan on Sun May 09, 2004 5:25 pm

I guess a little repost is in order....

Ginofan wrote:Well I suppose here would be the best thread to make my entrance after such an ugly loss. (Even though I expected it, I just didn't think it would be that ugly)

The Lakers made the adjustments that they were supposed to. I and the rest of the Spurs nation though Popovich was preparing the guys for this adjustment. It didn't look like it. The lack of agressiveness from the Spurs killed them. They kept trying to feed it to Tony to go down the lane, but he's become such an attention drawer he can't get to the basket. So they are forced to shoot jump shots...and with Hedo Turkoglu being in his slump and people just basically giving up nothing was going in. It was a poor performance by the Spurs which they won't repeat.

The only bright side of this game for me was that Gino did great, and Devin Brown is coming into his own. It's sad when you're bench outscores your starting lineup.

Popovich thoroughly pissed me off. He kept putting in Kevin Willis and Robert Horry who weren't getting the job done of gaurding Shaq. I was literally SCREAMIN for Malik to be put in. (Malik ALWAYS tries his best to post up against the big guy) But by the time he actually did put Lik in, it was too late. And then Popovich LEFT Hedo in clank after clank, instead of leaving Ginobili in...who was actually MAKING shots. It's times like these that I even wonder how he recieved a Coach of the Year award.

Okay sorry for the rant. You guys got it first, since this is the first place I came to after getting home. Congrats to the Lakers, I knew I didn't underestimate them, no matter how many people were whispering "Sweep Sweep!" in my ear.
<<..SAN ANTONIO SPURS..>>..<<..2005 NBA CHAMPS..>>
Ginofan
Clublakers Rep: Spurs

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Gameday