Game 5 (Round 2)
Tue. May 13
(6:30 p.m. PT, TNT)
Recap - http://www.nba.com/games/20030513/LALSAS/recap.html
Box Score - http://www.nba.com/games/20030513/LALSAS/boxscore.html

Lakers - 94
Spurs - 96

Lakers Head to L.A. Needing to Win
Robert Horry's last-second three-pointer rimmed in-and-out, stopping the Lakers' wild comeback just short, and the defending champs lost to the Spurs 96-94 in Game 5 on Tuesday to go down 3-2 in their Western Conference Semifinals series. L.A. cut a 25-point San Antonio lead to just one but couldn't quite catch up and now face a must-win situation at home in Game 6, Thursday at 7:30 p.m. (ESPN).

Spurs Lead Series - 3 - 2

Post your comments here...
Last edited by Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue May 13, 2003 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Reddy on Sun May 11, 2003 6:44 pm

whole laker crew to be shooting VERY WELL
duncan doing his thing
and kobe and shaq's great defnese
plus the teams sharp defense........ :man1:
laers by 6
INNOCENT

BE IN THE DREAM TEAM KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby Reddy on Sun May 11, 2003 6:44 pm

sorry i meant lakers
INNOCENT

BE IN THE DREAM TEAM KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sun May 11, 2003 10:05 pm

Lakers baby! It's gonna be a tough came over there... I think we're gonna make a comeback cuz they Spurs might just get hot early cuz they're at home... But we're prolly gonna win in single digits, hopefully no overtimes!
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun May 11, 2003 10:19 pm

Everything is dependant if we can have a quick start and get a big lead early.

Being in the road is tough with a very loud cheering crowd. The Lakers need to jump with a big lead early to quiet down the crowd and provide fear to minds of the Spurs.

This game is must win for the Spurs because they don't want to go back to LA on Game 6 down 2-3, so they will very nervous. So the Lakers need to take advantage of that. Get that big lead and take all hope away from the Spurs.

One of the most important thing is for Kobe to contniue what he is doing the last 2 games and just drive and get to the line. There are times when I think he becomes jump shot happy. He is so quick and strong that no one can deny him going to the hole.

Combine in Games 1 & 2, I think he only went to the line 12 times, but in Games 3 & 4 he went to the line 36 times (I think).

So he needs to drive more and get to the line.

Last is our defense have to step up. Remember that defense wins championships. Just ask the last three Super Bowl Champs!!!!
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby 4Rings on Mon May 12, 2003 1:07 am

Bowen will go back to getting away with almost murdering Kobe but they are just going to have to play through it although in Games 1 and 2, Kobe really wasn't going to the hoop. Maybe he will in Game 5. The Lakers have to treat Tuesday's game as if it was a Game 7 situation. We haven't won all year in this barn they call the SBC Center so we are due. The Lakers are more mentally tough than the Spurs and they appear to be a tad rattled no matter what they say in public. If it is close in the fourth and the refs decide to let them play, I look for the Lakers to come out on top.

We have to start the game quicker, though. We can't be lethargic and start slow and then expect to climb out of the whole just like that. The refs will be leaning towards the Spurs, the crowd will be going nuts and San Antonio will be pumped up. We need to step up our defensive pressure and execute our offense a little better. I would love for DFish to post up on Parker more during the game. He should make Parker work on the defensive end. I wish Horry would find his stroke so Duncan can expend some energy on the defensive end. Since Horry is not shooting it gives Duncan all the time in the world to help double on Shaq.

As for the Daddy, he needs to be aware that the refs in San Antone are quite whistle happy and are looking to call offensive fouls on him. I am not saying he should change his game but he should be aware of situations.

No turnovers, no foul trouble, execute the offense, play hard, solid defense, make your free throws, crash the boards, and share the ball and we should be fine. There is a lot of pressure on the Spurs. They might come out a little tight and anxious and the Lakers need to jump on them right away. Get the Spurs thinking a bit.

:boxing1:
4Rings

Postby matman2k3 on Mon May 12, 2003 3:00 pm

Lakers can beat anyone if given enough free throws. j/k
matman2k3

Postby matman2k3 on Mon May 12, 2003 3:04 pm

but seriously, if they play like the real lakers they can win. I just hope the real lakers show up.
I own the red button.
matman2k3

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Mon May 12, 2003 3:50 pm

3 Things are key to win this thing...

1. Modified Triangle - Keep bringing Shaq up top, you know that, this creates space, which gets the offense flowing, which gets us points...

2. Play Duncan straight up - Let Duncan get his, but keep tight on everyone else. Without the Spurs role players scoring, it keeps the game under control.

3. Shaq - Feed him the ball, and if Rose is gaurding him, throw him the ball right away, clear out, and let him make rose his bi... his, well you get the point...

Other factors will be Fisher, who stepped up HUGE in game 5, and the other role players. I expect George to have alot better game since his ankle will probably be alot better. We'll see, but the best keys to this game 5 is these 3 main ones...

So as I finish, I suggest you all reply with your thoughts, and finish with this:

HERE WE GO LAKERS HERE WE GO CLAP CLAP CLA-CLA-CLAP
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Return to Lakers Gameday