(LAL/HOU) Game 1 - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby lakerzrule on Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:54 pm

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/a ... h=4&day=16

Sorry, LD2K, but as a resident of Orange County, I had to post the original source of this article. :man10:
lakerzrule

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:57 pm

Alright, thanks man. :man12:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kb8theGreat on Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:57 pm

Were gunna win this game.Shaq is gunna come out strong.
Kobe is the Future of our franchise no matter if you like it or not.
Kb8theGreat

Postby JSM on Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:03 pm

All I got to say is Houston better get used to these images:

Because they are going to get swept!!!
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby G|B|G|B on Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:27 pm

LOL
G|B|G|B
ClubHeatHoops.com Administrator

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:30 pm

Karl Malone PLAYING!?

"I came here for this. You've got to shoot me in the head for me not to play," the NBA's second-leading career scorer said firmly at the team's practice facility in suburban El Segundo.

"That's it -- end of story."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... -headlines
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:31 pm

has anyone seen anybody take out their laker flags yet? I remember seeing a lot during our championship years, as if the whole season was into it but last year during playoffs I didn't see that many.
GWHiZiTSPHiL
Clublakers Rep: Clippers

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:33 pm

I didn't have to take mine out because it was never put away :man12:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:34 pm

wow really? i never see them around during the regular season, only around playoff time. haven't seen any yet but i hope to see a lot.
GWHiZiTSPHiL
Clublakers Rep: Clippers

Postby G|B|G|B on Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:34 pm

i always wanted one, never got it =/
anyone wanna send me one
=)
G|B|G|B

Postby Realm of Shadows on Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:16 pm

7:30 eh? Hmmm my friend's sister's 15 is tomorrow and I told her I'd go so yea, but I HATE parties so i'll go from 6 to 8 so I'll only miss most of the first quarter. :man1:
What do you get when you fall in love? You only get lies and pain and sorrow.
I feel so much like giving up
Realm of Shadows
Proud Mestizo

Postby lakerzrule on Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:09 pm

realm_of_shadows wrote:i'll go from 6 to 8 so I'll only miss most of the first quarter. :man1:

Naw dude, go from 6 to 7 and watch the entire game, the Lakers might actually play well in the first quarter. :man10:
lakerzrule

Postby lakerzrule on Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:12 pm

GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:has anyone seen anybody take out their laker flags yet?

Sometimes when I'm driving I see other cars with Lakers flags flying. And I don't even live in L.A. You need to have your eyes checked! :man10: Just kidding, but I'm surprised you haven't seen them.
lakerzrule

Postby Realm of Shadows on Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:21 pm

lakerzrule wrote:
realm_of_shadows wrote:i'll go from 6 to 8 so I'll only miss most of the first quarter. :man1:

Naw dude, go from 6 to 7 and watch the entire game, the Lakers might actually play well in the first quarter. :man10:

Its not that I don't want to see the first, trust me I do. But everyone is b'ing me about staying at least 3 hours. I don't like parties: I don't drink, I don't dance, I'm not interested in hitting on anyone cuz chances are their under 18 (I am 18) and or have scary dads. I just wanna watch my Laker game in peace, if their is a t.v at the party all those people (Mexicans by the way) will do is watch soccer, i'm hispanic, I know this.
Realm of Shadows
Proud Mestizo

Postby dlivneh on Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:51 pm

a must win
it will be a close game
dlivneh

Postby G|B|G|B on Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:08 am

big day!
G|B|G|B

Postby purple_and_gold_fever on Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:11 am

lets go lakers lets go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jam2:
purple_and_gold_fever

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:45 am

Ohhhh man! Anyone else excited as I am?
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Andrew Evenstar on Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:51 am

GET THE VCR ready baby. This is the day we've been waiting for. this is destiny.
[The Will To Act] | [My Music Blog]

Born a Laker fan.
Andrew Evenstar

Postby dlivneh on Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:01 am

i am a lakers fan from ISREAL

and to see the lakers i have to get in the middle of the night ( 4:30 am)

but i will not miss it

go lakers !!!!!
dlivneh

Postby JSM on Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:36 am

I don't have time to do the player matchups for tonight's game. I promise I will do one for the next game. So yall will at least have something, here is Insiders head to head matchups for this series.

Point guard: L.A. starts Payton at point. He hasn't missed a start this season and has been possibly the only constant on this team. He can still score when needed but hasn't had to with this team. He definitely would like to push the ball up in transition more if opportunities arise and is very good at running screen-roll action. He has had a tremendous career and came to L.A. to win a ring, so there will be motivation. His backup is former starter Fisher. Derek still plays quite a bit and is an integral part of this team at both ends. They also will play together at times.

Houston's Francis made the All-Star team as a starter but has not had a great year by his standards. Nevertheless, he still makes most of the exciting plays this team provides. Shooting is down, but the intensity is there. He must play like an All-Star for them to win. His backup is old pro Mark Jackson, who Van Gundy brought out of retirement. "Jack" has done a good job with the second unit and in allowing Francis to move over to shooting guard at times.
Advantage: Even

Off guard: The Lakers have Kobe. Not much else is needed. Despite all the off-court distractions, he has had a great year with dagger shots at the end of games. He reminds me of MJ the way he plays basketball at times. He is always looking to improve. Houston will guard him with two or three different people. Kareem Rush has done a good job making shots in a reserve role but sprained his right ankle April 11, and his status is up in the air. Bryon Russell is L.A.'s insurance policy.

Houston counters with Mobley. A quick, left-handed player who plays much bigger than his actual size. He can put up some huge numbers. He is also shooting almost 40 percent from 3. Jackson can slide over to play the two, or Eric Piatkowski can play there some.
Advantage: Lakers

Small forward:
L.A. would have had Rick Fox, but he probably won't be ready due to a thumb injury. Now Devean George starts. An athletic player who needs to keep the defense honest by knocking down shots and moving and feeding off of Shaq. Russell also will back up at the three and still can make shots when left open.

Houston will start Jackson, whom the coaches love. He has had possibly his best season, and many feel Houston would not have made the playoffs if not for Jimmy joining up just before the season began. Deep-shooter Piatkowski is ready if needed. Bostjan Nachbar probably won't play much. Clarence Weatherspoon might.
Advantage: Rockets

Power forward: Karl Malone somewhat holds the Lakers together with his leadership and experience. He is hungry for a ring and was playing great until injuring his knee in December, the first serious injury of his career. Now he sprained an ankle in L.A.'s last game against Portland. Will he be ready? I hope so for him. Horace Grant is out for the season, so Luke Walton had better be ready. Stansislav Medvedenko played well in Malone's absence and will be ready again, but he is foul prone. Stans can make face-up shots, though, and is an underrated player. Brian Cook has done a good job, as well, when given the opportunity.

Houston goes big by starting Kelvin Cato. It gives the Rockets a much bigger starting team defensively, and Cato scores when he dives to the basket off Yao's post-ups. He has some decent post moves, as well. Maurice Taylor will back him up and comes in the game looking to score. They love the offense Mo brings with him, and Van Gundy calls his plays quite a bit when he's in there. He's a good mid-range shooter who can post up, as well. Weatherspoon has played well at the four, also.

Center: This is the premier match up in the entire first round. Shaq is the most dominant player in the world today. He has not played as well as he would have liked this season, so I'm sure he will use that as motivation in this round. He has proven he can make free throws when the game is on the line in the past. He'll get an opportunity to prove it again, I'm sure. Medvedenko, Cook or even Malone will move over to play center while Shaq rests.

Houston has Yao, who has been dominating at times this year, making heroic plays down the stretch in Houston's close wins. He is also a very good free-throw shooter. But he has struggled overall in the past few games. He needs all the energy he can muster in a seven-game series against Shaq. Cato and Taylor move over to back Yao up when he needs rest.
Advantage: Lakers, this season.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby purple_and_gold_fever on Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:47 am

jsm0331 wrote:I don't have time to do the player matchups for tonight's game. I promise I will do one for the next game. So yall will at least have something, here is Insiders head to head matchups for this series.

Point guard: L.A. starts Payton at point. He hasn't missed a start this season and has been possibly the only constant on this team. He can still score when needed but hasn't had to with this team. He definitely would like to push the ball up in transition more if opportunities arise and is very good at running screen-roll action. He has had a tremendous career and came to L.A. to win a ring, so there will be motivation. His backup is former starter Fisher. Derek still plays quite a bit and is an integral part of this team at both ends. They also will play together at times.

Houston's Francis made the All-Star team as a starter but has not had a great year by his standards. Nevertheless, he still makes most of the exciting plays this team provides. Shooting is down, but the intensity is there. He must play like an All-Star for them to win. His backup is old pro Mark Jackson, who Van Gundy brought out of retirement. "Jack" has done a good job with the second unit and in allowing Francis to move over to shooting guard at times.
Advantage: Even

Off guard: The Lakers have Kobe. Not much else is needed. Despite all the off-court distractions, he has had a great year with dagger shots at the end of games. He reminds me of MJ the way he plays basketball at times. He is always looking to improve. Houston will guard him with two or three different people. Kareem Rush has done a good job making shots in a reserve role but sprained his right ankle April 11, and his status is up in the air. Bryon Russell is L.A.'s insurance policy.

Houston counters with Mobley. A quick, left-handed player who plays much bigger than his actual size. He can put up some huge numbers. He is also shooting almost 40 percent from 3. Jackson can slide over to play the two, or Eric Piatkowski can play there some.

Small forward:
L.A. would have had Rick Fox, but he probably won't be ready due to a thumb injury. Now Devean George starts. An athletic player who needs to keep the defense honest by knocking down shots and moving and feeding off of Shaq. Russell also will back up at the three and still can make shots when left open.

Houston will start Jackson, whom the coaches love. He has had possibly his best season, and many feel Houston would not have made the playoffs if not for Jimmy joining up just before the season began. Deep-shooter Piatkowski is ready if needed. Bostjan Nachbar probably won't play much. Clarence Weatherspoon might.
Advantage: Rockets

Power forward: Karl Malone somewhat holds the Lakers together with his leadership and experience. He is hungry for a ring and was playing great until injuring his knee in December, the first serious injury of his career. Now he sprained an ankle in L.A.'s last game against Portland. Will he be ready? I hope so for him. Horace Grant is out for the season, so Luke Walton had better be ready. Stansislav Medvedenko played well in Malone's absence and will be ready again, but he is foul prone. Stans can make face-up shots, though, and is an underrated player. Brian Cook has done a good job, as well, when given the opportunity.

Houston goes big by starting Kelvin Cato. It gives the Rockets a much bigger starting team defensively, and Cato scores when he dives to the basket off Yao's post-ups. He has some decent post moves, as well. Maurice Taylor will back him up and comes in the game looking to score. They love the offense Mo brings with him, and Van Gundy calls his plays quite a bit when he's in there. He's a good mid-range shooter who can post up, as well. Weatherspoon has played well at the four, also.

Center: This is the premier match up in the entire first round. Shaq is the most dominant player in the world today. He has not played as well as he would have liked this season, so I'm sure he will use that as motivation in this round. He has proven he can make free throws when the game is on the line in the past. He'll get an opportunity to prove it again, I'm sure. Medvedenko, Cook or even Malone will move over to play center while Shaq rests.

Houston has Yao, who has been dominating at times this year, making heroic plays down the stretch in Houston's close wins. He is also a very good free-throw shooter. But he has struggled overall in the past few games. He needs all the energy he can muster in a seven-game series against Shaq. Cato and Taylor move over to back Yao up when he needs rest.
Advantage: Lakers, this season.

so its 3-1-1 lakers.
purple_and_gold_fever

Postby purple_and_gold_fever on Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:48 am

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:Ohhhh man! Anyone else excited as I am?

hell yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jam2:
purple_and_gold_fever

Postby Realm of Shadows on Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:50 am

purple_and_gold_fever wrote:
Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:Ohhhh man! Anyone else excited as I am?

hell yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jam2:

A double hell yea!! Its the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!
Realm of Shadows
Proud Mestizo

Postby noxcel on Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:07 pm

GO LAKERS :jam2:
:ball1: :ball1: :ball1:
noxcel

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Gameday