7:00 pm
TV: TNT
Radio: KLAC-AM 570/KWKW-AM 1330
Recap - http://www.nba.com/games/20040112/CLELAL/recap.html
Box Score - http://www.nba.com/games/20040112/CLELAL/boxscore.html

Cavaliers - 79
Lakers - 89

Lakers Top Cavs, Kobe Hurts Shoulder
Gary Payton scored 13 points as the Lakers beat the Cavaliers 89-79 on Monday. But the win was tempered by the partially separated shoulder suffered by Kobe Bryant late in the first period. Bryant tried to resume playing before sitting out the entire second half. He will undergo an MRI on Tuesday.

Post your comments here...
Last edited by Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby theowing on Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:30 am

Kobe Against Lebron...What a matchup!

What I'm worry about is....who's guarding Big Z? He's 7"3!

Horace's gonna have a headache.

Since Pargo's out,why don't we sigh another 7-footer? He doen't have to

be a good scorer. It's just that we're in need of a big guy in the paint

without Shaq and Malone.

If somthing happen to Shaq again, dont' tell me that we're gonna let

Grant start in rest of our games.
theowing

Postby Danny Ainge on Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:49 pm

No need to sign anyone unless it is absolutely necessary. This game ought to be a cakewalk the Cavs are worse than us on the road
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:44 pm

Danny Ainge wrote:No need to sign anyone unless it is absolutely necessary. This game ought to be a cakewalk the Cavs are worse than us on the road

true...and this may be the downfall of the Cavs...road games...the Cavs have an ultimatum of good players yet they're team is still trying to find its chemistry, since there's a lot of young players, and even if LEBron the savior is there they can't expect a win. DaJuan Wagner is back and DeSagana Diop might man the paint...we have better watch out without Shaq. This game would be so much easier if Malone was here. Miles, Boozer, James, Wagner, are all athletic freaks and we have to watch out for them. Big Z has a big height advantage over anyone in the team and what we need to do is get him in foul trouble early. Don't let him establish position and get into a rhythm...and keep the CAVS away from transition game. That might take the life out of us. Newcomers Eric Williams and Tony Battie might also command control to its young'uns, and watch out for the former Bruin Jason Kapono...We should start the game like we did against Atlanta, force turnovers (Cavs are somewhat turnover prone), make shots (Slava that means you) and establish an early lead and force them to give up early.

My predictions goes as:

Cavs 92
Lakers 107
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby señorita on Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:09 am

Just hold Lebron down from scoring too much. Cuz yah gotta admit, that boy can shoot. Hmm.. maybe...
CAVS 92
LAKERS 96
señorita

Postby Mexx87 on Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:44 am

Cavs has Boozer, Big Z. They'll be kill us. But Kobe and Payton will kill him and Lakers win.
Lakers 106
Cavs 97
I play every game I guess my last
Mexx87

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:04 am

This will go down as one of tha greatest games in NBA history...

I WILL be going to this game, hopefully i'll make it this time...it is ALSO my birthday so hopefully i get myself on tha camera this time with tha sign i make...

any suggestions on a sign?

Oh yea i think its gonna be back and forth jus like tha cleveland orlando game, kobe vs lebron, man its gonna be a great game since shaq wont be playing either! It will be a close game...i dont wanna make a prediction for this one...
FabFourLakers

Postby nbafan on Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:09 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:
any suggestions on a sign?

if you put TNT sign on your poster, I am sure you'll get on.. ;)
nbafan

Postby noxcel on Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:12 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:This will go down as one of tha greatest games in NBA history...

I WILL be going to this game, hopefully i'll make it this time...it is ALSO my birthday

happy birthday:) LA should win to give you a nice gift
noxcel

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:40 pm

yea i think i will put somethin bout TNT...but i gotta associate that with my birthday and with Lebron and tha cavs facing tha Lakers...

maybe if i put somethin about Charles Barkley...
FabFourLakers

Postby JSM on Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:53 pm

For us to win, Kobe is going to have to have a huge scoring game, especially since Payton won't be 100%, because he's sick
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:07 pm

Well this is Kobe's chance to shine. We all know Kobe loves to get the green light on nights like these. Look for him and Medvedenko to be very aggresive offensivley.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby BDG on Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:41 pm

Play the CL.com Good Call for this game and the rest of the week by clicking here: http://www.clublakers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6350
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:57 pm

seems more bad news may be on the way for the Lakers, we also may be without Grant.

We might have a very shorthanded team against the Cavs, not only will Kobe have to score a lot, but he is going to have to rebound, too. If Grant doesn't play, expect more minutes for Cook and Sampson (one of them will have to start).
JSM

Postby lakerman34 on Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:51 am

the cavs are complete garbage, what are we worrying about? even if we start 5 UCLA guys, as long as one of them can guard lebron we'd be fine. the cavs are 2-17 on the road, and without lebron this franchise would be contracted. if we win by less than 10 tonight i'll be disappointed.

as for the sign, make it something about barkley not having any rings, he loves it when the jet teases him about that in the studio.
lakerman34

Postby @ on Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:24 am

we can win without shaq & Mail, the question is only how we will play...

Hope Slava will be on fire gain... :mad1: He should guard Z, not Grant or he will score 40 points !!!

WE CAN WIN THIS !!!

LAKERS 96

Cavs 92

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
@

Postby smilez on Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:21 pm

I just hope we dont get out rebounded by like 20, cuz if do thats an asure lost.
smilez

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:27 pm

I will have my player matchups up shortly, but here is what we get to look forward to tonight

No Grant, Malone, Shaq, or Fox; and a sick Payton

starting 5:
    Sampson
    Slava
    George
    Kobe
    GP (sick)
JSM

Postby Scoopaa on Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:40 pm

Update from Lakers Radio...570 am...Horace Grant WILL BE playing tonight. His father is sick and we was spending time with him I believe yesterday. But he's back and here to play tonight!! :jam2:
"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt..."

Robert De Niro...'Ronin'
Scoopaa

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:42 pm

We are going to need some big performances from Cook, Slava, Walton, and Sampson...because they all will see big minutes, but they will primarily be at the center and power forwards positions.

Payton/Ollie & Wagner: Any other night of the year, this would be one of Payton's easiest matchups, but he has a bad sinus infection and according to Phil he doesn't look good, but will play. Payton is going to be playing sick so that gives a slight edge to the Cavs' pg's since they will be playing at 100%. Hopefully Payton can still give us a decent game, he will probably be more passive tonight. Look for Fisher to get a good chunk of minutes, hopefully he can continue to climb out of his slump and give us a big game off the bench against these 2. These 2 Cavs' guards only produce a combined average of 8 points a game, so we won't have to focus a lot of energy on playing perfect defense on them, light D should do the trick. And I don't see Ollie or Wagner being able to stop GP or Fisher, they aren't very good defenders.

Kobe/Lebron: This is the matchup everyone cares about. This is the sole reason this game is on tv, because everyone wants to see Kobe vs Lebron, and due to injuries and sickness, this has the setting for a great duel. Possibly on of those great games you hear about, or that you see every so often on ESPN Classics. Look for both guys to go into this game looking to dominate and win. This will be a shootout, a memorable one too, probably more memorable than the T-Mac vs LJ game on Christmas. Kobe has to come out running. HE has to be the go to guy, he has to get other guys the open looks (like he did vs. the Hawks), he needs to have a big offensive night for us to pull away with a win. He has to play great defense too, or else we will see a lot of Lebron shooting and making great plays. All I know is I am glad I get to see this one, Kobe vs Lebron, part I. Their first meeting, and both will play at 110% tonight.

George/Williams & Miles: George did play a little better against the Hawks but not much, he needs to step it up. Williams isn't all that big, so he should be able to take advantage of the size difference and get position in the paint and get us some rebounds, something we will need tonight. If Miles plays, he is a bit longer and may make George have some problems getting shots up. Miles and Williams can score, so George will need to stay with them and not let them get open shots or easy drives to the basket. George needs to try to make his open shots, grab rebounds, and create for himself (that should be his 3 part plan for tonight's game).

Slava/Boozer: Our frontcourt did a good job against the Hawks, and their big men are better than the Cavs' big men, so hopefully we can expect the same type of results. Slava needs to crash the boards and prevent Boozer from getting the easy rebounds. Slava needs to be as aggressive on the offensive end as he was against the Hawks, he knocked down a lot of shots and was a big boost for us. Slava needs to play some good defense against Boozer, so he won't get any easy basket opportunities.

Grant & Sampson/Ilgauskas: Grant has a lot of things going on right now, I doubt his game will be much in the game. Hopefully he can give us 20-25 minutes of good play. He needs to get us some rebounds and limit Ilgauskas' production. Also, this is where we get to see what our young center is made out of. Sampson did a good job in his last outing, by getting rebounds, playing some defense, and providing us with a youthful inside presence. He will probably get dominated by the much larger Ilgauskas, but who knows we might be pleasantly surprised like we have been all year with our young'ins. Sampson won't score many points for us, 4 or 6 points, but his rebounding and defense will be key tonight, and could very well determine or factor in his future as a Laker (when we get everyone healthy and back).

The text in red is only applicable if Grant plays, right now it's uncertain
Last edited by JSM on Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JSM

Postby BDG on Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:43 pm

Thanks for the info, Scoopaa-- at least we'll have another big man in our rotation! My condolences go out to Ho Grant. Not to sound insensitive or anything, but hopefully Horace will be motivated because of his dad (i.e. Brett Favre).
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Scoopaa on Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:46 pm

Wait a minute...now they just Ho Grant's NOT playing?????? Is he or isn't he?? :man11:
"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt..."

Robert De Niro...'Ronin'
Scoopaa

Postby BDG on Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:48 pm

I'm guessing no if they're uncertain... wasn't he in Atlanta today?

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:52 pm

yeah he was
JSM

Postby Andrew Evenstar on Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:21 pm

i'm so damn ready for this game, gonna cook me up a fat pizza and eat it all by myself... watch the game, blast the volume, just enjoy the whole night. gonna watch us go on a HUGE 2gm winning streak lol :jam2:
[The Will To Act] | [My Music Blog]

Born a Laker fan.
Andrew Evenstar

Next

Return to Lakers Game Tonight