Mon. 10/25 vs. Sonics - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:22 pm

hopefully Chucky doesn't play much against the Wiz
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Triumph Jelani on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:25 pm

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:Discuss the Wizard game here: http://www.clublakers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21306

Boy what a game, our depth amazes me. We have 14-16 players that can put the ball into the hole. We are lethal, we are deadly, and I don't even recall the last time I saw a Laker team, or any NBA team for that matter, this quick.

Yeah, I have been screaming for this kind of depth for 2 years!!!!! Finally.
Triumph Jelani

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:29 pm

Triumph Jelani wrote:
Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:Discuss the Wizard game here: http://www.clublakers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21306

Boy what a game, our depth amazes me. We have 14-16 players that can put the ball into the hole. We are lethal, we are deadly, and I don't even recall the last time I saw a Laker team, or any NBA team for that matter, this quick.

2 years? Try six.
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby magicmoment on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:31 pm

the game tonight was good actually. i'm happy we won by lots! poor sasha though. he was kind of struggling today. bobbit and brown had a great game. so did caron! we're playing as a team!! kobe only played 9 mins right? shows we're a strong team! too bad we got 2 injured players today. Luke did great today too! helped sasha a bit. overall, it was awesome! :jam2:
"Fix your hair Sasha. Gotta look pretty now" - Stu Lantz
"Lakers play for Championships" ~Lamar Odom
"I just missed some bunnies." ~Kobe on Game1 [NBA Finals]

Estamos Aquí!

add my fansite:
http://www.myspace.com/sashavujacic18
magicmoment

Postby Triumph Jelani on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:33 pm

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:
Triumph Jelani wrote:

2 years? Try six.

Yeah, after the 2nd championship was good as any
Triumph Jelani

Postby Triumph Jelani on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:37 pm

magicmoment wrote:the game tonight was good actually. i'm happy we won by lots! poor sasha though. he was kind of struggling today. bobbit and brown had a great game. so did caron! we're playing as a team!! kobe only played 9 mins right? shows we're a strong team! too bad we got 2 injured players today. Luke did great today too! helped sasha a bit. overall, it was awesome! :jam2:

The 2 injured players will be cut. :man12:
Triumph Jelani

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:42 pm

here is a brief recap:
Caron Butler scored 18 points in the first quarter and the Los Angeles Lakers won their third straight preseason game, 117-91 over the Seattle SuperSonics on Monday night.

Butler played just 11 minutes in the first period and shot 11-for-12 from the line and 3-for-4 from the field, including a 3-pointer. He outscored Seattle 16-7 in a 4½-minute stretch, helping the Lakers to a 25-14 lead.

Los Angeles shot 21-for-27 from the line and 5-for-7 from 3-point range and led 62-39 at the break.

he Sonics shot just 41.7 percent in the first half.

Jumaine Jones scored 15 points in a reserve role for the Lakers, who went 10-for-17 from 3-point range. Kobe Bryant had two points and two assists in nine minutes in the first quarter.

Nick Collison had 14 points and nine rebounds for Seattle, which lost its fifth straight. Vladimir Radmanovic added 13 points.

The Sonics played without four-time All-Star Ray Allen, who was out with a sore lower back.

Allen's absence prevented a matchup with Bryant for the first time since Allen called the Lakers' guard selfish after a game between the teams on Oct. 12. Allen also said Bryant would demand a trade if the Lakers did not win a championship in the next two seasons.

Bryant did not play after the first period despite the crowd's repeat chants of "Kobe! Kobe!" late in the third quarter.
JSM

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:43 pm

When's the last time, if ever, the Lakers scored over 100 pts. with Kobe sitting on the bench or out of the game playing less than 10 minutes?

It's unheard of ladiest and gentlemen.
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby magicmoment on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:47 pm

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:When's the last time, if ever, the Lakers scored over 100 pts. with Kobe sitting on the bench or out of the game playing less than 10 minutes?

It's unheard of ladies and gentlemen.

it sure feels good though. :man12:

Estamos Aquí!

add my fansite:
magicmoment

Postby BDG on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:49 pm

magicmoment wrote:
Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:When's the last time, if ever, the Lakers scored over 100 pts. with Kobe sitting on the bench or out of the game playing less than 10 minutes?

It's pre-season, but yes, it does feel good :man1:
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby magicmoment on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:52 pm

BryantDunkGiant wrote:
magicmoment wrote:

It's pre-season, but yes, it does feel good :man1:

preseason or not... it still kind of a preview of reg. season.. hehe..

Estamos Aquí!

add my fansite:
magicmoment

Postby KB24 on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:59 pm

Sasha had again 8 assists! Nice :jam2: but his shot is :man2: :man2: !
Damn we had only 9 TOs! Thats great and we shot 10-17 from down town! LA goes for the trophy! :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:00 pm

Lakers Box Score

Caron-18 points, 11-12 from the line, 11 minutes
JJ-15 points, 6 rebounds, 5-8 from the field, 2-2 from 3 pointers
Tierre-14 points, 5 assists, 3 rebounds, 2 steals, 8-9 from the line, 3-6 from the field, 23 minutes
Bobbitt-14 points, 4 assists, 1 steal, 6- from the field, 24 minutes
Luke-10 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, 3-6 from the field, 2-2 from downtown
Rush-10 points in 26 minutes
Grant-7 points & 2 rebounds
Cook-6 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists in 12 minutes
Mihm-6 points, 3-3 from the field
Johnson-6 points in 4 minutes, before getting hurt
Nwankwo-4 points, 2 rebounds, 13 minutes before getting hurt
Odom-3 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 9 minutes
Sasha-2 points, 8 assists, 2 rebounds, 0-5 from the field in 18 minutes
Kobe-2 points, 2 assists, 1 block, 9 minutes of play
Atkins-1 assist, 1 steal, 0-2 from the field in 9 minutes
JSM

Postby crucifido on Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:40 pm

What a camp this year huh?!

When is the last time a Laker team has the kind of depth at almost every spot? I can't recall a camp this strong since the late 80's towards the breakup of the the best basketball team of all time (in my opinion, the 87-88 Lakers). It's great to see all of the young guys getting involved not only on the court with their game but encouragaing each other throughout the contest and showing no signs of envy about minutes.

Since the regulars did fantastically well tonight, I was more watching the camp invitees, which the coaching staff seemed to have been doing as well.

Nwonkwo: This guys has got that brutish NBA biuld, but he needs some serious work on rebound timing (especially offensively) and he has got to hit the little "chippies" with some kind of regularity. Once he decides to hone some (or any) kind of offense, he may see the back end of an NBA squad. I just hate to see guys in camps working hard for a spot taken down by injuries, it was sad to see.

Nate Johnson: Fortunately for Johnson he hit a team in need of point guard out of their camp. Unfortunately, Brown and Bobbit are playing exceptionally well and he just seems to be caught in a numbers game. He shows the same type of game Bobbit does, but Bobbit has obviously endeared himself to the coaching staff (more than likely with his great attitude he's shown thus far) and he has gotten the bulk of the minutes for Nate. Another injury to a camper, man I just hate to see it happen.

Tony Bobbit: Could this be the toughest cut the Lakers have had to make in quite some time? The answer is obviously - yes. It could turn out that Bobbit will be kept in a suit on the sidelines until the Lakers get word from Karl whether he's coming back for sure or retiring. it's hard to let poure shooters and guys with his drive and tenacity go without giving them a shot when it really matters. I like his effort on the court - 100% all the time, and I like his hustle on loose balls and getting around screens.

Tierre Brown: This is the guy NBA scouts will be kicking themselves for not snathcing up halfway through the season. The guy find seams in defenses that aren't apparent to anybody but him. He has true point guard abilities and a decent 14-15 shot jumpoer to boot. His defense is a little shoddy and he seems to get distracted easily, but overall he works hard to get around screens and always has his eyes on his man or where he needs to be. In my mind, he's made thesquad - hands down. Judging by how the coaching staff had him out of the game the whole second half while the other camp guys played, I think we can assume the coaching staff feels likewise.

Jumaine Jones: Someone is bucking for Devean George's job and so far it looks like his coup to snag the backup small forward spot may just happen. The guy is a workhorse on both ends of the court, has great range with his jump shot and really seems to enjoy playing. The best part about Jones for me is his ability to anticipate defenses and picks while he plays defense. He's a head's up player who definitely has a spot on this team. Devean better get his ankle shaped up quick if he expects to remain in Rudy's rotation.

Sasha Vujacic: Once again, I'm unimpressed with his play. His excitement over just being on the Lakers is hampering any game he may have. He seems to have a desperate need for flashy plays even though when he plays straight up, he shows some skill. He MUST learn how to shorten his dribble. I counted at least 4 times tonight when the ball either lost his grip or his defender slapped the ball free from him. He has something under all that exhuberance and clumsiness, but I don't think it will come to fore until he learns how to relax and play NBA quality ball. Hopefully for him it will only take one year, but so far he looks to be a project player that may have serious trouble keeping a uniform on this year instead of a suit.

I love this team though guys and honestly, I think if you're not liking what you're seeing (and yes I know its' only pre-season, but...) then I don't know what you want from a team. I always say that chemistry can make a mediocre team a great team quicker than anything else (see: 2003-2004 NBA Champs, the Detroit Pistons) and this team has that en masse'.

Bring on the Wiz and let's wrap up this better than average pre-season with a win.
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby LakRfAn on Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:31 am

crucifido wrote:What a camp this year huh?!

When is the last time a Laker team has the kind of depth at almost every spot? I can't recall a camp this strong since the late 80's towards the breakup of the the best basketball team of all time (in my opinion, the 87-88 Lakers). It's great to see all of the young guys getting involved not only on the court with their game but encouragaing each other throughout the contest and showing no signs of envy about minutes.

Since the regulars did fantastically well tonight, I was more watching the camp invitees, which the coaching staff seemed to have been doing as well.

Nwonkwo: This guys has got that brutish NBA biuld, but he needs some serious work on rebound timing (especially offensively) and he has got to hit the little "chippies" with some kind of regularity. Once he decides to hone some (or any) kind of offense, he may see the back end of an NBA squad. I just hate to see guys in camps working hard for a spot taken down by injuries, it was sad to see.

Nate Johnson: Fortunately for Johnson he hit a team in need of point guard out of their camp. Unfortunately, Brown and Bobbit are playing exceptionally well and he just seems to be caught in a numbers game. He shows the same type of game Bobbit does, but Bobbit has obviously endeared himself to the coaching staff (more than likely with his great attitude he's shown thus far) and he has gotten the bulk of the minutes for Nate. Another injury to a camper, man I just hate to see it happen.

Tony Bobbit: Could this be the toughest cut the Lakers have had to make in quite some time? The answer is obviously - yes. It could turn out that Bobbit will be kept in a suit on the sidelines until the Lakers get word from Karl whether he's coming back for sure or retiring. it's hard to let poure shooters and guys with his drive and tenacity go without giving them a shot when it really matters. I like his effort on the court - 100% all the time, and I like his hustle on loose balls and getting around screens.

Tierre Brown: This is the guy NBA scouts will be kicking themselves for not snathcing up halfway through the season. The guy find seams in defenses that aren't apparent to anybody but him. He has true point guard abilities and a decent 14-15 shot jumpoer to boot. His defense is a little shoddy and he seems to get distracted easily, but overall he works hard to get around screens and always has his eyes on his man or where he needs to be. In my mind, he's made thesquad - hands down. Judging by how the coaching staff had him out of the game the whole second half while the other camp guys played, I think we can assume the coaching staff feels likewise.

Jumaine Jones: Someone is bucking for Devean George's job and so far it looks like his coup to snag the backup small forward spot may just happen. The guy is a workhorse on both ends of the court, has great range with his jump shot and really seems to enjoy playing. The best part about Jones for me is his ability to anticipate defenses and picks while he plays defense. He's a head's up player who definitely has a spot on this team. Devean better get his ankle shaped up quick if he expects to remain in Rudy's rotation.

Sasha Vujacic: Once again, I'm unimpressed with his play. His excitement over just being on the Lakers is hampering any game he may have. He seems to have a desperate need for flashy plays even though when he plays straight up, he shows some skill. He MUST learn how to shorten his dribble. I counted at least 4 times tonight when the ball either lost his grip or his defender slapped the ball free from him. He has something under all that exhuberance and clumsiness, but I don't think it will come to fore until he learns how to relax and play NBA quality ball. Hopefully for him it will only take one year, but so far he looks to be a project player that may have serious trouble keeping a uniform on this year instead of a suit.

I love this team though guys and honestly, I think if you're not liking what you're seeing (and yes I know its' only pre-season, but...) then I don't know what you want from a team. I always say that chemistry can make a mediocre team a great team quicker than anything else (see: 2003-2004 NBA Champs, the Detroit Pistons) and this team has that en masse'.

Bring on the Wiz and let's wrap up this better than average pre-season with a win.

I have to disagree slightly about Sasha... I think he's clearly flustered and not showing the confidence he did during the summer league. You can see that he is no longer setting his feet on his jumpshot and mishandling the ball more than he had in all the previous games combined. However - he is a solid pick and roll player - and will be getting solid minutes this year. Just look at the box score for the last 2 games when he's been struggling:

VS SUNS: 23 mins/8ast/1 turnover
VS SEATTLE: 18 mins/8 ast/0 turnovers
LakRfAn
Resident Hoops Junkie

Postby magicmoment on Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:08 pm

jsm0331 wrote:Lakers Box Score

Caron-18 points, 11-12 from the line, 11 minutes
JJ-15 points, 6 rebounds, 5-8 from the field, 2-2 from 3 pointers
Tierre-14 points, 5 assists, 3 rebounds, 2 steals, 8-9 from the line, 3-6 from the field, 23 minutes
Bobbitt-14 points, 4 assists, 1 steal, 6- from the field, 24 minutes
Luke-10 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, 3-6 from the field, 2-2 from downtown
Rush-10 points in 26 minutes
Grant-7 points & 2 rebounds
Cook-6 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists in 12 minutes
Mihm-6 points, 3-3 from the field
Johnson-6 points in 4 minutes, before getting hurt
Nwankwo-4 points, 2 rebounds, 13 minutes before getting hurt
Odom-3 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 9 minutes
Sasha-2 points, 8 assists, 2 rebounds, 0-5 from the field in 18 minutes
Kobe-2 points, 2 assists, 1 block, 9 minutes of play
Atkins-1 assist, 1 steal, 0-2 from the field in 9 minutes

we all scored! wow..

Estamos Aquí!

add my fansite:
magicmoment

Postby scottiep1013 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:52 pm

I don't think Chucky scored.
scottiep1013

Postby Crono0801 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:20 pm

LakRfAn wrote:
crucifido wrote:What a camp this year huh?!

I have to disagree slightly about Sasha... I think he's clearly flustered and not showing the confidence he did during the summer league. You can see that he is no longer setting his feet on his jumpshot and mishandling the ball more than he had in all the previous games combined. However - he is a solid pick and roll player - and will be getting solid minutes this year. Just look at the box score for the last 2 games when he's been struggling:

VS SUNS: 23 mins/8ast/1 turnover
VS SEATTLE: 18 mins/8 ast/0 turnovers

Exactly he just needs to shoot through the slump. You can tell that shooting the way hes been shooting that he is losing confidence but I think that as soon as he gets out of the slump that every aspect of his game will improve again. He is just not too confident right now. He will get through it though.
RIP Daniel RIP Ana RIP Tom

The Greatest Game of All time
Crono0801
Good Call Stats Team

Previous

Return to Lakers Gameday