Sun. 1/04 @ Clipps - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Sun. 1/04 @ Clipps - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:44 pm

Lakers @ L.A. Clippers
Sunday, Jan. 4
6:30 pm
TV: KCAL, NBALP
Radio: KLAC-AM 570/KWKW-AM 1330
Recap - http://www.nba.com/games/20040104/LALLAC/recap.html
Box Score - http://www.nba.com/games/20040104/LALLAC/boxscore.html

Lakers - 98
Clippers - 101

Lakers Blocked by Clippers
Gary Payton's potential game-tying shot was blocked in the final seconds and the Lakers lost to the Clippers 101-98 Sunday night. Kobe Bryant scored his season-high 44 points to go with 10 rebounds for L.A., which played without the injured Shaquille O'Neal.

Image

Post your comments here...
Last edited by Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Lakers Dynasty 2000

 
Posts: 25694
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:57 pm
Location: Pasadena, Southern California

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:55 pm

no shaq, no malone=lakers loss

we're no match for tha clips without those 2...kaman brand and wilcox will KILL our big men
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11764
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Postby Realm of Shadows on Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:19 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:no shaq, no malone=lakers loss

we're no match for tha clips without those 2...kaman brand and wilcox will KILL our big men


NO SHAQ, an unlikely win. Its possible, these are the Crappers, as bad as we do, it would take us to be scum to lose to them, I don't care what you say to lose to them would be absolutely unacceptable.
What do you get when you fall in love? You only get lies and pain and sorrow.
I feel so much like giving up
732
User avatar
Realm of Shadows
Proud Mestizo
 
Posts: 21823
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: USC by way of Los Angeles

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:56 pm

what pisses me off is that tha clipps have a 6 home stand...and they've lost 3 outta tha 5 games that they've played there(against suns, worst in tha west, raptors, an eastern conference team, and tha kings)....and what is gonna piss me off more is that they're gonna come back and beat tha lakers and get a meaningless win...cuz they'll still be under .500, and then they'll prolly go and lose to tha wizards or hawks...

Watch for Maggette and Brand to have CAREER highs tommorow...im puttin both of em on my fantasy team
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11764
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Postby iWuVkObE8BrYaNT on Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:46 pm

will this game be shown on FSN??!? (& I xpect a W)
Image

`Behind every great man is a great woman`

`It is not necessary to hope in order to undertake, or to succeed in order to perservere`
User avatar
iWuVkObE8BrYaNT

 
Posts: 5772
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:54 pm
Location: Maui, Hawaii

Postby LAKERCHICK on Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:52 pm

Umm.... I got a question for anyone who knows i've been trying to look for tickets for tomorrows game against clippers and i go to ticket master and search for em and it says wat i've requested is not available i tryed eri thing n it wont work do you know any were else i can get sum cuz i really don't feel like calling right now, but yeah if u can help please
Devean George
User avatar
LAKERCHICK

 
Posts: 1109
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 8:23 pm
Location: So. Cal.

Postby BDG on Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:22 pm

It's probably sold out... most Laker games sell out pretty quick. I'd be surprised if you could find a decent seat if there's any left at all.
Image
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
User avatar
BDG
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 40955
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby vonzipper86 on Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:14 pm

I don't know, I still have the Laker faith.

The Kings and Clippers played today, it was a tough fought game and really high scoring.. Maybe it took something out of the clippers..

I'm predicting 30 for Kobe and 20 for Gary, it'll be a tough game to watch though.

Lakers 103
Clippers 101
Image
Image
-This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jigglin'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwlhcnoljnM
Showtime in Action
User avatar
vonzipper86

 
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:53 am
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Postby BDG on Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:25 pm

Lakers 98
Clippers 93


Close game but we'll pull this one off.
Image
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
User avatar
BDG
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 40955
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby lakerzrule on Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:45 pm

I also think the Lakers will beat the Clippers. Both teams are at home, obviously, but the majority of the crowd will support the Lakers. The Clips already battled the Kings tonight, so fatigue will be a factor. Then again, losing might motivate them to play against their cross-town rivals, so the Lakes better watch out! If Kobe and Gary carry the load and the other players step up, we should be fine. It'll be weird seeing Glen Rice in a Clippers uniform, though. :man10:
lakerzrule

 
Posts: 2700
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:15 pm

Postby JSM on Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:02 pm

does Jack come to these games, since it's not a Lakers home game but it's a Laker vs Clipp game? I would think he would, I just have never seen him at one.
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94034
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Postby JSM on Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:09 pm

without Shaq and Malone, I expect this game to be extremely up tempo. I hope the other guys are ready because Kobe and Payton are going to be doing some serious running. Hopefully Phil won't hold them back, and give them the green light again to do as the way.

I expect Payton to get 20-25 points and Kobe to get 30-35 points.

We will have a lot more plays geared to those 2 and be ready, since we had to adjust to no Shaq in mid game.

BDG I hope you got your tape ready, because there are going to be plenty of highlights from this one, especially Payton to Kobe

I expect a close game. We need to pick it up on defense a whole lot, and we are going to get killed by Brand.

Lakers 100
Clippers 95
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94034
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Postby BDG on Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:11 pm

jsm0331 wrote:BDG I hope you got your tape ready, because there are going to be plenty of highlights from this one, especially Payton to Kobe
Oh I do... this should be a very fast-paced game with Shaq out of our lineup.
Image
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
User avatar
BDG
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 40955
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby JSM on Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:24 pm

I' try to have my player matchups in by either later tonight or early tomorrow
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94034
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Postby BDG on Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:26 pm

Nice, break it down jsm
Image
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
User avatar
BDG
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 40955
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:35 am

ok im sorry to burst everyones bubble but WHY does everyone always predict a laker win? we predicted we'd be seattle...and we didnt...

and whether u like it or not...who is gonna stop brand? q-rich? maggette? and dont give me taht bull that kobe and payton wil cuz well they WONT...they havent stopped ANYONE this season...we've beaten other teams OFFENSIVELY not DEFENSIVELY...adn we dont have enuf to hang with tha clipps...

i'd be surprised if we win tommorow's game...REALLY surprised....but i like tha lakers bein underdogs cuz they feel like they are not supposed to win this game so might as well get out there and show em whats up...

if kobe and payton dont take over tommorow...we could be in some serious trouble...we need guys like walton rush george and FISHER to STEP UP like 20 notches tomorow...
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11764
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Postby JSM on Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:52 am

Image

It is very important that both Kobe and Gary have huge games, if they don't that game won't be pretty. Also, the role players have to really step it up too. Walton, Russell, Cook, Fisher, and Slava all need to have a solid game, the can't be cold of off on their shots. Cook is going to see more time tonight, because Phil doesn't want to play Grant any more than 30 minutes...so he has to put some arc on that shot. Russell needs to take some 3's at least 5, hopefully he will make more than half of them, we need him to be aggressive on D against Richardson and Maggette. We need Fisher (who is hopefully out of his slum) to be on fire. Slava has to knock down some of the easy looks other team's give him, but at the same time he needs to use good judgment with his shot selection, and a must a strong defense against Brand because he will outscore and rebound Slava, but the question is by how bad. We need Walton to get some decent playing time, because he is a big spark to this team with his court vision and passing ability (I want to see Phil put him in there with Kobe & Payton some).

Payton/Jaric & Overton: Jaric is playing hurt and hasn't had much time for his foot to heal, since they played last night. We have to use this to our advantage, Payton has to attack and attack hard, Jaric won't be able to keep us because of his left foot, so Payton will be able to get by his or get free for an open shot. Overton will see some decent time, since Jaric won't play as much as usual, and Payton has to take advance of this matchup, Overton can't guard someone of Payton's caliber. Payton should be able to focus most of his energy on offense since Jaric won't be much of a threat and Overton's offensive game is almost non existent. Payton can have a very big game against them and needs to for us to have any hope of pulling away with a win.

Kobe/Richardson: Kobe has to play good defense against Quentin, because it doesn't take much for him to get into a groove and go off. This should be a good matchup, an aggressive Kobe should make it favor us though. For us to win, Kobe has to be aggressive for 40+ minutes, and has to attack the basket and shoot a lot of high percentage shots. With Shaq out it is necessary for him and Gary to do better than they usually do, Kobe needs to have his best game of this season tonight. I anticipate Richardson and Kobe will both score a good amount of points. Also, Russell and Fisher can't let Simmons have a good game, our second string needs to play good d on him, or he will put up 15+ points.

George/Maggette: Let's be honest Corey is going to destroy George. George won't be able to stop him from scoring on him, all we can hope for is a few decent defensive sequences by George and some improved passing skills. If George can at least stay with Maggette, we may get lucky and he may miss a few, if George can agitate his shot or have a constant hand in his face then we will have a little better chance of winning. Our big guys need to play excellent interior defense, because if they don't Maggette and Richardson will take it to the basket for an easy 2 every time they get the ball. Russell and Walton don't need to leave Rice open either, because nothing would make him happier than to light us up from downtown, especially a game winner.

Slava/Brand: this is where it is going to get real ugly. Slava already has weak D as it is, and we are going to suffer against Brand. Brand will back Slava down and move him wherever he wants. Brand is going to out rebound Slava on the glass. I don't know what to say...I guess if Slava makes his fair share of shots and at least stays with Brand, that's all we can ask for. Cook will also see a few minutes here, hopefully he can make a couple baskets. One thing that will be to our advantage, Slava and Cook both like to shoot mid range shots, if they can try to stay in that area and take most of their shots from there, then it will free up the paint, because Brand will have to go out and guard them...then hopefully Kobe and Payton can use that to their advantage and attack the hoop more when this occurs.

Grant & Cook/Kaman & Wilcox: Clippers win this matchup too. Grant is slower and older than Kaman, if Grant can at least pull down 10+ rebounds I will be happy. Kaman and Wilcox aren't huge offensive weapons, but can score. Grant needs to have a good shooting night, and draw his defense out too, to clear out the paint. Cook is going to see a decent amount of minutes tonight, because Grant won't play for more than 30 minutes, so this means we will get to see what Cook can do. Last time he went in for garbage time, this time that won't be the case. He will be playing in a close game, where he has to put forth everything he got. Hopefully he found some arc for that shot of his or otherwise every shot he takes will get packed. If Cook helps us at all, I will be pleasantly surprised.
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94034
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:20 pm

jsm0331 wrote:Image

It is very important that both Kobe and Gary have huge games, if they don't that game won't be pretty. Also, the role players have to really step it up too. Walton, Russell, Cook, Fisher, and Slava all need to have a solid game, the can't be cold of off on their shots. Cook is going to see more time tonight, because Phil doesn't want to play Grant any more than 30 minutes...so he has to put some arc on that shot. Russell needs to take some 3's at least 5, hopefully he will make more than half of them, we need him to be aggressive on D against Richardson and Maggette. We need Fisher (who is hopefully out of his slum) to be on fire. Slava has to knock down some of the easy looks other team's give him, but at the same time he needs to use good judgment with his shot selection, and a must a strong defense against Brand because he will outscore and rebound Slava, but the question is by how bad. We need Walton to get some decent playing time, because he is a big spark to this team with his court vision and passing ability (I want to see Phil put him in there with Kobe & Payton some).

Payton/Jaric & Overton: Jaric is playing hurt and hasn't had much time for his foot to heal, since they played last night. We have to use this to our advantage, Payton has to attack and attack hard, Jaric won't be able to keep us because of his left foot, so Payton will be able to get by his or get free for an open shot. Overton will see some decent time, since Jaric won't play as much as usual, and Payton has to take advance of this matchup, Overton can't guard someone of Payton's caliber. Payton should be able to focus most of his energy on offense since Jaric won't be much of a threat and Overton's offensive game is almost non existent. Payton can have a very big game against them and needs to for us to have any hope of pulling away with a win.

Kobe/Richardson: Kobe has to play good defense against Quentin, because it doesn't take much for him to get into a groove and go off. This should be a good matchup, an aggressive Kobe should make it favor us though. For us to win, Kobe has to be aggressive for 40+ minutes, and has to attack the basket and shoot a lot of high percentage shots. With Shaq out it is necessary for him and Gary to do better than they usually do, Kobe needs to have his best game of this season tonight. I anticipate Richardson and Kobe will both score a good amount of points. Also, Russell and Fisher can't let Simmons have a good game, our second string needs to play good d on him, or he will put up 15+ points.

George/Maggette: Let's be honest Corey is going to destroy George. George won't be able to stop him from scoring on him, all we can hope for is a few decent defensive sequences by George and some improved passing skills. If George can at least stay with Maggette, we may get lucky and he may miss a few, if George can agitate his shot or have a constant hand in his face then we will have a little better chance of winning. Our big guys need to play excellent interior defense, because if they don't Maggette and Richardson will take it to the basket for an easy 2 every time they get the ball. Russell and Walton don't need to leave Rice open either, because nothing would make him happier than to light us up from downtown, especially a game winner.

Slava/Brand: this is where it is going to get real ugly. Slava already has weak D as it is, and we are going to suffer against Brand. Brand will back Slava down and move him wherever he wants. Brand is going to out rebound Slava on the glass. I don't know what to say...I guess if Slava makes his fair share of shots and at least stays with Brand, that's all we can ask for. Cook will also see a few minutes here, hopefully he can make a couple baskets. One thing that will be to our advantage, Slava and Cook both like to shoot mid range shots, if they can try to stay in that area and take most of their shots from there, then it will free up the paint, because Brand will have to go out and guard them...then hopefully Kobe and Payton can use that to their advantage and attack the hoop more when this occurs.

Grant & Cook/Kaman & Wilcox: Clippers win this matchup too. Grant is slower and older than Kaman, if Grant can at least pull down 10+ rebounds I will be happy. Kaman and Wilcox aren't huge offensive weapons, but can score. Grant needs to have a good shooting night, and draw his defense out too, to clear out the paint. Cook is going to see a decent amount of minutes tonight, because Grant won't play for more than 30 minutes, so this means we will get to see what Cook can do. Last time he went in for garbage time, this time that won't be the case. He will be playing in a close game, where he has to put forth everything he got. Hopefully he found some arc for that shot of his or otherwise every shot he takes will get packed. If Cook helps us at all, I will be pleasantly surprised.


Shaq isn't playing now?....Whoa, I thought that he was a game time decision...is it really Grant...? But really nice breakdown man, but yes, I've watched the Clippers and they've gone hectic at times. Totally...Maggette is definitely the best driver in the league and hell yes, he knows how to get to the line..same can be said of as Richardson...we need to contain both of them, and Slava especially has his work cut out for him as he goes up against Brand, who may most likely get the offensive rebound once Maggette and Richardson miss their transition layups...and yes, we can't let Richardson get into a groove because he's capable of scoring off jumpers once he's hot--like 44 against Denver. So the Clippers do have a future now, as Mark Heisler says--they actually took Sacramento to their limits during their last game--but if anything it'll be veteran leadership that'll tackle this team down. The Clippers have more veterans but tend to play their young'uns more, who can go havoc at times with the ball in their hands. Chris Wilcox and Kaman, yes, Kaman, are athletic freaks. It'll take someone like Dunleavy to instill toughness to the Clippers, and he's done it. Payton should have a smooth night against Jaric and Overton but if Shaq's not playing, everyone else has a tough matchup...if Grant really starts. I look to see Brian Cook the youngsta out more against them rather than Grant...the Clippers play hectically when they've got it going. We should have a better bench, the Clippers bench is as deep as the length of my shoelaces (which are damn short) but we also need to play good transitional D. The Clippers aren't natural jumpshooters but we shouldn't get them riled up. Overall look for a long night but we'll prevail at the end.

Lakers 107
Clippers 98
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff
 
Posts: 7037
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby JSM on Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:24 pm

rydjorker121 wrote:Shaq isn't playing now?


He's still listed as a game time decision, but the way Phil sounded, and what he has heard from Shaq, makes me really think Shaq won't play tonight.
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94034
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Postby BDG on Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:25 pm

Expect Cook to put up a decent game tonight.
Image
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
User avatar
BDG
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 40955
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm

BryantDunkGiant wrote:Expect Cook to put up a decent game tonight.


lets guess what Cook's stats are gonna be?

and don't no one say DNP alright?...

I'd say 5 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and 3 fouls
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff
 
Posts: 7037
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby JSM on Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:38 pm

6 points, 2-4 from the field, 2-5 from the line, 3 fouls, 1 assists, 5 rebounds, in 14 minutes

All I know is he needs to get a good bit rebounds
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94034
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Postby BDG on Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:51 pm

7 points, 4 rebs, 1 assist, 3 fouls, 2-3 from the field, 2-4 from the line.

Expect him to do a lot of the little things that help us win games (hustling, rebounding, taking charges etc.).
Image
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
User avatar
BDG
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 40955
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby BDG on Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:07 pm

I posted this in a different thread, but in case no one saw:

CBS-2 Sports Central just reported that Malone has been de-activated and Jamal Sampson will take his place on the roster.

Shaq also definitely won't play tonight, due to his right calf strain.

We're down two men tonight.
Image
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
User avatar
BDG
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 40955
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:11 pm

JAMAL Sampson predictions:

DNP (first game off the IR--a learning experiencee rather than a playing one)
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff
 
Posts: 7037
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Next

Return to Lakers Gameday

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.