Sun. 11/7 vs. Hawks - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby Karl11-Caron1 on Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:37 am

bndxclin wrote:Shaq Fan's Daily Predictions:

Atlanta Hawks edge out Los Angeles Lakers in an Overtime win at STAPLES Center. Meanwhile, the Miami Heat with another impressive win over the Washington Wizards.

Projected Season Forecast:

Heat: 82-0
Lakers: 1-82

1-81*

and i agree LD2k...i mean at one point in the game (in the 3rd qtr) we shot 19%...cant get much worse....or so i hope...
Karl11-Caron1

Postby leftymo on Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:40 am

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:
Shaq Fan wrote:u all we be mad when Atl pulls it out in OT

This won't happen. They can't play worse than they did in Utah, and even if they played as bad as Utah, it would still be like a 10 pt. blowout.

We're talking about the Atlanta Hawks.

I expect the Hawks to be very game tonight. And they might just get their first victory of the season.

Can't play any worse than they did in Utah, must be prefaced by stating, that in the Los Angeles Lakers franchise history, NO team was able to play that poorly. They are so bad right now, they are setting franchise lows...

The problem with the Lakers is that they can't defend anyone. When you can't defend, the Atlanta Hawks become the San Antonio Spurs. Layups are the highest percentage shot in the business.

LA will probably lose this game too. Their success depends on their ability to defend, and right now they can't defend anyone.
leftymo

Location: Scottsdale, AZ. 5 years later, married, 2 kids, 2 Laker Titles

Postby leftymo on Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:42 am

bndxclin wrote:Shaq Fan's Daily Predictions:

Atlanta Hawks edge out Los Angeles Lakers in an Overtime win at STAPLES Center. Meanwhile, the Miami Heat with another impressive win over the Washington Wizards.

Projected Season Forecast:

Heat: 82-0
Lakers: 1-82

There's no doubt who wins this argument now. Come back in 2-3 years. I don't think the numbers will justify.

Shaq for 2-3 years or Kobe/Odom for 7-9 years, and more!
leftymo

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:15 pm

I say we send this lienup out there tonight

Cook
Luke
Rush
Sasha
Tierre

let everyone else rest.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Crono0801 on Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:25 pm

jsm0331 wrote:I say we send this lienup out there tonight

Cook
Luke
Rush
Sasha
Tierre

let everyone else rest.

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:
RIP Daniel RIP Ana RIP Tom

The Greatest Game of All time
Crono0801
Good Call Stats Team

Postby hoopskillz on Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:36 pm

jsm0331 wrote:I say we send this lienup out there tonight

Cook
Luke
Rush
Sasha
Tierre

let everyone else rest.

The Hawks aren't that bad. :man10:
hoopskillz

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:44 pm

hoopskillz wrote:The Hawks aren't that bad. :man10:

You haven't watched their past two games.

Sonics beat them by 21. 4 Sonics were in double figures, 3 were on the verge with 9 points. Walker scored 24, still a L. Hawks only had 2 fast break points. They shot 42% from the field.

Suns beat them by 30. 5 Suns reached double figures, 1 with 9. Walker scored 21, still a L. Hawks only had 5 fast break points, only led by 1 in the game. They were outscored 36-12 in the second quarter. They shot 33% from the field.

Hell...where's George. Put his injured self out there.
JSM

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:55 pm

jsm0331 wrote:
hoopskillz wrote:The Hawks aren't that bad. :man10:

You haven't watched their past two games.

Sonics beat them by 21. 4 Sonics were in double figures, 3 were on the verge with 9 points. Walker scored 24, still a L. Hawks only had 2 fast break points. They shot 42% from the field.

Suns beat them by 30. 5 Suns reached double figures, 1 with 9. Walker scored 21, still a L. Hawks only had 5 fast break points, only led by 1 in the game. They were outscored 36-12 in the second quarter. They shot 33% from the field.

Hell...where's George. Put his injured self out there.

Exactly. :man10:
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby dynasty4kobe on Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:57 pm

Should I buy two $25 tickets for section 306 for tonights game? I have nothing to do, but I'm not rich either.

"Then when we do get back on top, [bandwagoners] are going to want to jump back on and we're going to tell them there's no more room."
-Kobe Bryant, March 28, 2005, 32-37

"I Survived 2005" Club
dynasty4kobe, DarthRekal, In The Key
dynasty4kobe

Postby S.R.05 on Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:23 pm

dynasty4kobe wrote:Should I buy two $25 tickets for section 306 for tonights game? I have nothing to do, but I'm not rich either.

sounds like a plan to me...i just bought 4 for me and my friends on jan. 30 v. bobcats :man1:
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Supastas on Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:45 pm

Remember that in the Jazz game, Kobe shooting 20 freethrows, and Lamar shooting 10 aided in setting those franchise lows.

I'm not one to underestimate a team, but the Hawks are just a bad team. We're talking about the Lakers (a young team) at home (young teams generally play well at home).

Obviously anything is possible in the NBA, including a loss to these terrible Hawks. But it would be a huge upset if the Hawks won this game. I mean huge.
Supastas

Postby purple_and_gold_fever on Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:11 pm

i hope the lakers win so i got somethin to be happy about.. cuz im a little bit upset right now.... :man5: :mad1: ... im just goin to play ball and lower the rim to about 8 1/2 - 9 ft so i can jam on it hard and release the frustration or wutever...
purple_and_gold_fever

Postby LukeWalton on Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:34 pm

im gonna go play ball 2. I playing on game days :jam2:
LukeWalton

Postby scottiep1013 on Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:42 pm

LukeWalton wrote:im gonna go play ball 2. I playing on game days :jam2:

Same here.
scottiep1013

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:00 pm

In the Jazz game we broke three franchise low records.

We won't play that bad again... maybe ever. That was just a terrible performance.

Atlanta is going to get killed tonight, this LakeShow team has some motivation.
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Karl11-Caron1 on Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:02 pm

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:In the Jazz game we broke three franchise low records.

We won't play that bad again... maybe ever. That was just a terrible performance.

Atlanta is going to get killed tonight, this LakeShow team has some motivation.

hmm which ones? wasn't one a franchise low for pts scored in 1st qtr?
Karl11-Caron1

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:05 pm

Just when things couldn't get a lot worse for the Hawks, they are hit with injuries.

They will be without their starting center, backup PF, 3rd string SF, and backup PG.

C: Collier-out until the 9th, at least, because of severe bronchitis.
PF: Crawford-out for the season with a torn ligament in his right knee.
SF: D. Smith-on the IR, due to a strained lower back.
PG: Delk-on the IR, because he still hasn't recovered from knee surgery that he had in the summer.
JSM

Postby dynasty4kobe on Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:50 pm

jsm0331 wrote:Just when things couldn't get a lot worse for the Hawks, they are hit with injuries.

They will be without their starting center, backup PF, 3rd string SF, and backup PG.

PG: Delk-on the IR, because he still hasn't recovered from knee surgery that he had in the summer.

We may have a chance now. :man12:

"Then when we do get back on top, [bandwagoners] are going to want to jump back on and we're going to tell them there's no more room."
-Kobe Bryant, March 28, 2005, 32-37

"I Survived 2005" Club
dynasty4kobe, DarthRekal, In The Key
dynasty4kobe

Postby G|B|G|B on Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:15 pm

better win!
G|B|G|B
ClubHeatHoops.com Administrator

Postby leftymo on Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:43 pm

Well, I'm saying don't be too upset if the Lakers lose this one as well.

It's a learning process, and the team doesn't know how to play together yet. So no matter who it is, LA is going to struggle.

Obviously LA wasn't going to beat the Spurs, and well, for the same reasons, they probably shouldn't beat the Hawks either. You can't go through a learning process and assume its learned in 3 games. Game #4 will teach them some new things.

And don't judge the victory by quality of opponent. I've seen some real crappy teams beat the Lakers WITH Shaq & Kobe.

Likewise, there's no reason why LA shouldn't beat San Antonio this year also. (for that same reason).

I think it will be a close game, unlike the last two, and maybe youth and inexperience will show itself late in this game. Atlanta wins.
leftymo

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:21 pm

leftymo wrote:Well, I'm saying don't be too upset if the Lakers lose this one as well.

:man10:

leftymo wrote:I think it will be a close game

:man10: :man10:

leftymo wrote:Atlanta wins.

:man10: :man10: :man10:

You've yet to have see this Hawk team play. If you only knew how hysterically funny those comments were.
JSM

Postby purple_and_gold_fever on Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:22 pm

jsm0331 wrote:Just when things couldn't get a lot worse for the Hawks, they are hit with injuries.

that sux for crawford...
purple_and_gold_fever

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:24 pm

Chucky Atkins vs Kenny Anderson: I am not really sure what Kenny's problem in Atlanta is, but he has yet to fit in. His shooting hasn't been this bad since 97-98, his assist numbers are a joke, and he isn't creating anything for their offense (the Hawks only have 6 fast break points in the two games they have played) . Now, I know that when you are talking about the Hawks, you are going to have extremely limited option to pass to, but averaging 1.5 assists a game is something you would expect out of a slug like center, that comes off the bench, not your starting PG. If your starting PG can't even get you 2 assists a game, then you are going to be looking at the #1 pick in the upcoming draft. With Delk on the injured list, Kenny is going to have to play at least 35 minutes. Ivey will have to play some, but he is far from a third string PG, or even a polished PG at that, he is more of a SG, forced to play PG, because of size and Delk's injury. He is a good defender, but Kenny is a bigger body, so it will be interesting to see how they do against the Lakers PG's. I think we win this matchup, because of Kenny's struggles, I know...bigger surprise...Atkins actually winning a PG matchup. Hopefully Atkins can play like he did against the Spurs and put up similar numbers, but I wouldn't count on it, because Anderson is a tall PG, and that could prevent him from getting some good shots. Kenny has been able to do one thing and that's rebound the ball decently for a PG, which isn't good for us, because defensive rebounding has been our weakness. And Tierre can beat Ivey and Mr. Anderson with his quickness, and since there is nothing in the middle for the Hawks, he can get to the basket, probably for every single play that he is in the game for.

Kobe Bryant vs. Boris Diaw: I expect for the Lakers to get off to a very early start tonight. Get a big lead and maintain it, allowing the bench to get some significant minutes, and rest the starters. This all starts with Kobe. I would expect a very determined and aggressive Kobe tonight, he knows the Lakers need a W, and this is as easy of a team to get one against, as there is. Diaw is young, athletic, and a good defender (even though you couldn't tell that by his first two games against JJ and Allen), but this is just his second year, he is still very inexperienced when he's going against the league's elite and still makes some rookie type mistakes. He lacks an intensity, bulk, much weight, and much of an offensive game. It should prove to be a fun matchup for Kobe to take advantage of. Kobe will look to take it straight to the basket, without passing go, or collecting his $200, I mean how could he not, against such a team (inexperienced opponent and no bigs). I would expect for all of the Hawks guards to get in foul trouble, Kobe has been attacking the basket in every single game this season, taking beating, and getting two easy shots from the line. Although there is no one with the Hawks to make Kobe think twice about attacking, he will still get fouled, and go to the line a lot. This is probably the Hawks deepest position, and they are going to need all 3 of their SG's tonight. Childress and Barry have been splitting the backup minutes, with Barry usually finishing the game off. Josh is the Hawks future, that could be a good thing, that could be a bad thing. But he bring excitement and offense to the game, even though he is about as heavy as a twig, and most of that weight is from his fro. He has very long arms and that's the only hope he has at being able to do anything to benefit the Hawks, in terms of guarding Kobe. So, that's two lightweights that Kobe gets to go against and bully in the paint or on anywhere on the floor for that matter. Then, probably after those two get in early foul trouble comes the Hawks veteran presence in their backcourt. Barry is a class act guy, but his brother is the more talented of the two. Although he hasn't gotten off to a great start this season, when it comes to shooting, that is still what he specializes in, and as the season progresses, so will it. But for vets. that age, it takes time for them to shake off the rust of the summer and get back in the swing of things, thankfully he will still be as rusty as a nail tonight. And he is far from a defender, although Kobe will have to respect his shot, he should have no problem stopping him, or the other two SGs. Kobe is faster than Barry and will make him exhausted, trying to keep up with him. Kobe is going to have a big night and will probably be able to get others very involved too.

Caron Butler vs. Al Harrington: This should turn out to be the matchup of the night. If this was last year's Harrington, then no question, he wins, but I don't think that can be said of this year's Al. The Hawks are playing Al out of position and it's very obvious that playing him at the 3 is causing some problems for him. His shot isn't falling, he is committing silly fouls, and is having some problems picking up on Woodson's defensive plan. I don't think either will have a very big game, they will probably cross each other out. Both are athletic players that can score and rebound. Al is bigger overall, so I guess we will have to wait and see if Caron can stay out of foul trouble, and what he can bring to the game tonight. I doubt he will do much offensively, since he is still struggling somewhat, especially against such defenders, and his D has been questionable, but tonight should prove to be a good test. I would be content with Caron's performance if he just rebounded the ball, and that's big, because that is one of our weaknesses, letting opponents get so many second, and even third chances on a possession. I don't think we can afford to let any team do that, even the Hawks, since that would probably be Harrington's main means of scoring. JJ will probably be matched against the Hawks 17th pick, Josh Smith. The kid from Atlanta is an athletic freak, loves to attack the basket, he has long arms too, can be very strong off the glass, but he gets carried away with shooting, lacks a good sense of when to shoot and when not to, can't handle the ball very well, and he often settle for jumpers. I think JJ's D can prevent him from doing much of anything tonight, he might have a fancy dunk or something, but that should be it. It should be a good battle on the glass, but the veteran should win out in the end, exposing Smith for what he is...just a rookie.

Lamar Odom vs. Antoine Walker: Our second best player against their number one option. Odom wins this matchup, no if's, and's, or but's about it. Odom's length and versatility will prevent Walker from breaking out. We all know that Walker is going to shoot, from when the first boozer sounds, until the last one sounds. If there was one player that likes to shoot and shoot and shoot, it would be Walker, which is not always a good thing when you are a big man. I often think that Walker is a PF, that thinks that he is a two guard, he takes as many shots as most two guards do. He is not very physical, he would avoid contact whenever he gets the opportunity too, he won't fight for any rebounds (unless you attack a doughnut to it), and he won't pass the ball, unless he thinks that he will get the ball back. You know that your team is in trouble, when Antoine is your assist leader, and that's only with 3.5 assists a night. I know for a fact that Walker has never met a shot that he did not like. He was once asked why he shoots so many 3's and his response was, "because there are no 4 pointers." If he was a very good 3 point shooter, that would be one thing, but he isn't and he still loves to shoot them. Also, he can't buy free throws, I tend to wonder which is worse, his shot selection or his free throws. If Odom can't win a matchup against Walker, I think we should bench him, because that would be embarrassing. I would like to see Grant against him some too, since he is a bigger body against him, and if Walker gets on anything resembling a one man run (all the Hawks have), then we will need to put an end to it, and put an end to it quick. Walker can rebound though, I can understand why he gets offensive rebounds (which he averages more of), so he can shoot again, but I don't understand why he gets defensive rebounds, I would think that he would have the mindset that doing that would take up energy that he could use to jack up another 3. So, we are going to need the Odom that showed up last night, the one that was out of the slump, but with fewer turnovers. I wouldn't mind us letting Walker get his and shutdown everyone else, which is pretty easy against these group of guys. I mean Walker can't score 100 points alone, he may jack up 100 shots, probably all 3's, but he can't convert on 1/5 of them. And that would really wear down Walker, and since their backup PF is Pig Miller, the former Laker, the player that should have called it quits after his fist game with us, back in 94. Miller is going to be cut soon or injured, he isn't in shape, and his body can't last 79 more games. A backup PF that can't even average 1 rebound, more than 2 points, play in more than 4 games since the 99-00 season, is not going to make it through the first month of the regular season. This should be a fun night for Cook, getting some blocks on Ice Cold Miller.

Chris Mihm vs. Kevin Willis:
The Hawks are without their starting center, and don't really want to use the oldest player in the NBA too much. Willis will likely split the minutes pretty equally with Drobnjak. Those two are really having their share of problems against athletic big men, Amare and Lampe both had solid games against the ATL duo. Willis is probably one of the best conditioned athletes in the NBA right now, and you sure can't tell his age, by his game play. I expect that a Mihm and Grant duo can beat out the two centers for the Hawks. Mihm is quicker than Willis and will hopefully use that to beat him to the basket, or get by him with his first step. I would look for some back door passes, alley oops, cuts, and lobs, because Mihm can also jump higher than Willis and if he plays an active, fast paced, at the basket game...he can really take advantage of his youth. He doesn't want to get into a strength matchup with Willis or let himself be in the position where Willis can get at the ball when he has it, Willis will just take it from him. Mihm has to learn to dunk the ball, Willis will also get it from him if he keeps trying that rolling the ball in or the weak layups or that Boston style ball. Bulk wise, a Grant vs Willis matchup would be best, and if Mihm isn't working, we will see that a lot. And Pedrag is not hard to stop, he can shoot, although his shot has been inconsistent so far, but he is about as un-athletic as they get and he possesses zero defensive skill, making things even easier for Mihm, for the 35+ minutes that Drobnjak is in the game.
JSM

Postby Furious D on Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:53 pm

I wanna how Josh Childress plays. I've never seen him play a game in my life so it will be interesting to see why Atlanta is so high on the guy.

Lakers are gonna whoop on the Hawks tonight. All of you who think otherwise are fools. :tongue1:
"That's where I want your jersey in about in about ten years." - Mitch Kupchak
Furious D
Good Call Stats Team

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:58 pm

No KCAL = No Jackie Johnson = No GWHiZ watching.

j/k I'll watch, but the next game better be on KCAL.
GWHiZiTSPHiL
Clublakers Rep: Clippers

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Gameday