Sun 4/18 - Lakers vs Thunder - Game 1 - Predictions/Comments

Re: Sun 4/18 - Lakers vs Thunder - Game 1 - Predictions/Comments

Postby revgen on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:57 pm

^Once OKC started fronting him, we stopped entering the ball into the post. We need to correct this.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby karacha on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:58 pm

This was not a pretty game, but here's what I think --

this is how you play in the playoffs. It's slower, it's a grind. You play good defense, which will result in a W. Which is exactly how we played... tough, physical D, and it's obvious we're much better. I like that. If we're ready defensively, we should make the Finals.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:58 pm

TT24 wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:This is going to be an ugly series with bad shooting percentages. All I know is we're not going to win many games against teams with better offense with the way we're playing. Our supposed "best" player hasn't shot above 40% in 4 games. Doesn't bode well for us at all.

Yeah. I bet he's doing it intentionally too.

Who cares? If Kobe isn't good enough to get the job done anymore then that's all there is to it. I don't care if it's because of injuries or because of age. We were able to survive this game because of our defense but there's no way Durant has back to back 7-24 games. With Kobe? Oh there's a very good chance he'll go 6-19 in the next game.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby lakers_09tv on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:58 pm

gonitype123 wrote:
TT24 wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:This is going to be an ugly series with bad shooting percentages. All I know is we're not going to win many games against teams with better offense with the way we're playing. Our supposed "best" player hasn't shot above 40% in 4 games. Doesn't bode well for us at all.

yup damn that kobe

Kobe shooting below 40 percent is clearly on him. He should have gotten the surgery back in December and this wouldn't be a problem now. Everyone told him to get it done and it was his decision not to do it. Now that decision is killing us.
Last edited by lakers_09tv on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Barnes - "I respect all my opponents but I fear no one."

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
lakers_09tv

Postby mamatheregoesthatman on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:58 pm

revgen wrote:^Once OKC started fronting him, we stopped entering the ball into the post. We need to correct this.

Yep. Make the adjustment, Phil. :phil1:
Thanks for the sig, Jr. Kobe.

mamatheregoesthatman

Postby mamatheregoesthatman on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:00 pm

lakers_09tv wrote:Kobe shooting below 40 percent is clearly on him. He should have gotten the surgery back in December and this wouldn't be a problem now. Everyone told him to get it done and it was his decision not to do it. Now that decision is killing us.

So what's the point in worrying about it now? What's done is done.
Last edited by mamatheregoesthatman on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mamatheregoesthatman

Postby mamatheregoesthatman on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:01 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Who cares? If Kobe isn't good enough to get the job done anymore then that's all there is to it. I don't care if it's because of injuries or because of age. We were able to survive this game because of our defense but there's no way Durant has back to back 7-24 games. With Kobe? Oh there's a very good chance he'll go 6-19 in the next game.

Kobe's still the best player we have. He'll know what to do, and so will the rest of the team.

mamatheregoesthatman

Postby Heavier Than Heaven on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:02 pm

Always have the combo of Kobe/Ron on Durant/Westbrook
BUCK FOSTON

Thanks to Mookie for Avy!
Heavier Than Heaven

Postby mamatheregoesthatman on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:03 pm

karacha wrote:This was not a pretty game, but here's what I think --

this is how you play in the playoffs. It's slower, it's a grind. You play good defense, which will result in a W. Which is exactly how we played... tough, physical D, and it's obvious we're much better. I like that. If we're ready defensively, we should make the Finals.

Spot on, karacha. Defense wins championships.

mamatheregoesthatman

Postby kray28 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:10 pm

Murdock wrote:kobe is horrible seriously

You're a garbage fan...seriously.
kray28

Postby kray28 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:11 pm

revgen wrote:^Once OKC started fronting him, we stopped entering the ball into the post. We need to correct this.

Yup. It's a simple adjustment, but guys on the perimter are such poor post entry passers, they don't want to risk the lob pass.
kray28

Postby TT24 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:23 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
TT24 wrote:

Who cares? If Kobe isn't good enough to get the job done anymore then that's all there is to it. I don't care if it's because of injuries or because of age. We were able to survive this game because of our defense but there's no way Durant has back to back 7-24 games. With Kobe? Oh there's a very good chance he'll go 6-19 in the next game.

And if we win, then I don't care. Kobe wasn't the only one who shot bad. If we stop relying on a beat up player so much, maybe he doesn't have to take 21 shots, or feel like he has to do everything. The team as a whole needs to step up, not just one player. We've seen in the past where players had to score, score, score, and where has that got them? LeBron, lost in ECF; Wade, all the time; Kobe, in the past and even now sometimes. It may be just me, but I thought Kobe played well all around, but just didn't shoot well. I don't care if he doesn't shoot well, I just want a win.
TT24

Postby ybtherockstar on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:54 pm

Wow. I'm surprised my prediction was so close.I predicted a win by seven and LA won by eight. Anyway i thought the Lakers played a excellent game defensively but struggled in the second half offensively. Kobe just can't find a rhythm out there.Good to see Drew effective again.
ybtherockstar

Postby cheetodust562 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Hey guys, I wasn't able to catch the game.
but good thing we won.
cheetodust562

Postby kblo247 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:11 pm

mamatheregoesthatman wrote:

Yep. Make the adjustment, Phil. :phil1:

What you are saying isn't true because there was no surgery involved. You are babbling without knowing a fact. He was told to sit out for 6-8 weeks but chose not to because Vitti admittedly said it shouldn't get any worse and be manageable pain. The staff didn't foresee his knuckles swelling up as well like they have done.
----
Anyway, what I noticed was that OKC changed how they played the game and we went away from our most effective option, which was Kobe in the post.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8480/fiveinthebox.png

That is 5 Thunder players with a foot in the lane and that is how the second half went. They dared not only the 3pt shot but the long 2 ball as well.

Also, the team didn't get a 10+ point lead by simply pounding it in the paint with Pau and Drew both on the floor:

The lead was 4 points when Bynum went out in the first quarter, and then here is what happened to get the "big lead"...
Gasol Dunk : Made (4 PTS) Assist: Odom (1 AST)
Fisher 3pt Shot: Made (5 PTS)
Fisher 3pt Shot: Made (8 PTS) Assist: Bryant (1 AST)
Artest 3pt Shot: Made (5 PTS) Assist: Gasol (2 AST)
Bryant Jump Shot: Made (6 PTS)
27-13 to end the 1st quarter...

2nd quarter:
Brown Jump Shot: Made (2 PTS) Assist: Artest (1 AST)
Bryant Free Throw 2 of 2 (7 PTS)
Gasol Jump Shot: Made (6 PTS)
Gasol Free Throw 1 of 1 (7 PTS)
Bryant 3pt Shot: Made (10 PTS)
Bynum Slam Dunk : Made (6 PTS) Assist: Gasol (3 AST)

The most we can site about our post play is the spurt that broke the game a part was Kobe posting up and making the plays without Drew and Pau on the floor at the same time, not that Pau and Drew together killed OKC on the offensive end as much as they did on the defensive end.
kblo247

Postby Murdock on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:56 am

kray28 wrote:
Murdock wrote:kobe is horrible seriously

You're a garbage fan...seriously.

i am one of the biggiest fan but i can say when he plays bad, does bad judgements and such things ... it's call objectivity which you lack as i've seen many times

mamatheregoesthatman wrote:
lakers_09tv wrote:Kobe shooting below 40 percent is clearly on him. He should have gotten the surgery back in December and this wouldn't be a problem now. Everyone told him to get it done and it was his decision not to do it. Now that decision is killing us.

So what's the point in worrying about it now? What's done is done.

adjust the game .. be more of faciliator, not trying to shoot from bad angles .. fadeaway etc. ... shoot from what Defense gives and not from what you want becuase he can't do it as of now ... wait for what Offense produces .... if nothing, make the offense but not through shooting fadeaways which aren't falling for 4 games in a row now which is just like turnover ... faciliate...
Murdock

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:16 am

I love the Kobe version when we played the Suns in 06 where Phil made them watch "The Inside Man." He was awesome the first four games in that series. Kobe made Kwame look like a monster until of course the rape accusation destroyed Brown and turned him back into a little kitty.

We need that Kobe back he has tremendous big men now unlike before. We would destroy teams if Kobe plays the right way.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby RenePerezz on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:46 am

can't wait for game 2!!!
RenePerezz

Postby Murdock on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:07 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:I love the Kobe version when we played the Suns in 06 where Phil made them watch "The Inside Man." He was awesome the first four games in that series. Kobe made Kwame look like a monster until of course the rape accusation destroyed Brown and turned him back into a little kitty.

We need that Kobe back he has tremendous big men now unlike before. We would destroy teams if Kobe plays the right way.

exactly ...
Murdock

Postby mamatheregoesthatman on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:29 pm

RenePerezz wrote:can't wait for game 2!!!

Post in the Gameday thread about Game 2 then. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist.) :man10:

mamatheregoesthatman

Previous

Return to Lakers Game Tonight