Sun. 11/30 vs. Pacers - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby iWuVkObE8BrYaNT on Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:07 pm

i hope Kobe can put Artest on lockdown...... :jam2:

`Behind every great man is a great woman`

`It is not necessary to hope in order to undertake, or to succeed in order to perservere`
iWuVkObE8BrYaNT

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:11 pm

after careful consideration...this game is goin down to tha wire...

we may have blown out tha spurs but they are not quite themselves yet, they havent quite GELLED as a team...i think tha pacers have gelled and are playin TEAM defense...they will come in and play their best game of tha season...but tha lakers will take over in tha 4th...

i dont like predicting score, but i'll say lakers 108-105 in a TIGHT ball game!
FabFourLakers

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:21 pm

hey guys...here is a good article about Ron Artest, give us sumthin' to think about before the matchup occurs

What do Richard Hamilton, Carmelo Anthony, Rickey Davis, Glenn Robinson, Rashard Lewis, Corey Maggette, Latrell Sprewell, Allan Houston, and Allen Iverson all have in common?

They have all been a victimized by Indiana’s defense, which is lead by defensive superstar Ron Artest.

Artest is regularly given the assignment of defending the opposing team’s best player and he regularly shuts that player down. Of the players mentioned above only three have managed to score double digits against Artest, and all have been held under their season average. In fact this impressive list of offensive performers have averaged a shockingly low 6.7 points on 21.5% shooting, compared to their combined season average of 19.4 points per game.

Artest’s most impressive defensive effort came against Timberwolf guard Latrell Sprewell. Artest held Sprewell, who averages over 15 points per game, to zero points on 0-8 shooting. Teammate Reggie Miller told the AP that Artest’s defensive play was "Unbelievable," adding, "I've seen him have great nights against great offensive players, but tonight was his most consistent effort. He got into a defensive zone, if there is such a thing. He went after it. He recognized that Spree was struggling and stayed in his jock."

As impressive as his defensive numbers are, Ron’s most impressive number may be zero. That is the number of Technical and Flagrant Fouls Artest has this season. When asked what caused the change in his play Artest told NBA.com that “I want to have a chance to see what my potential is,� Artest said, adding “I want to see how far the team can go when I’m level-headed and how far I can go when I’m level-headed.

Pacer Coach Rick Carlisle added that “He’s (Artest) playing with great composure and his game has taken a quantum leap in recent weeks and I expect him to continue to play well.�
Artest has already begun to garner praise for his play in this early season. On November 10 Ron was named Player of the Week in the East. Ron is considered a lock for the All-Star game after being snubbed last season and is the generally considered the reason that the Pacers are the best defensive team in the league, holding opponents to 80.4 points a game. Though to Artest none of that matters if his team doesn’t succeed.

“It all boils down to the team.� Artest told NBA.com “It’s not just me, me, me. I feel like I’m unstoppable, but this is about the team.�
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:42 pm

player matchups

Payton/Anderson- Payton didn't have any problems against Parker, who is younger, faster, and better; so going against Kenny should be a breeze. Anderson is a slower point guard, with not a lot of offensive skill left, so Payton should be able to get by him on offense and prevent Kenny from getting any easy shots.

Kobe/Artest- This might be a hard matchup for Kobe. Artest is playing good defense, and he is a big bulky player. He has been matched up against the opponent's best player and has been limiting their production. He has gone against AI, Houston, Spree, Q. Richardson, and R. Lewis; he has held them to 30-107 (28%) from the field, and held them to roughly 10 points a game. He will prevent Kobe from having a good game, by bothering his shot, and smothering him on D. Look for Kobe to struggle from the field tonight...so he will try to get involved other ways, (rebounds and assists), and Reggie talking smack to him won't help any. I think Artest will actually win this matchup.

George/Miller- George is coming off a season high, and a very good game against the Spurs. If he can get open, look for him to make some easy shots, if he can't get open (good possibility, since Miller is a better defender than Ginobili) then look for him to struggle most of the night, and and unable to get involved. George has to play good D though, because if Miller gets going, then he can be deadly...just look at when he went off against the Knicks and poured in 31 points. George has to stick with him, and use his size to prevent him from getting open shots and easy baskets.

Malone/J. O' Neal- I would say Jermaine would have an a great night against Malone, but Malone held TD to 11 points, even though Tim didn't play that long because his team got blown out. So hopefully he can hold O' Neal to a same type of performance. If Malone can prevent O' Neal from having a big night, look for this to be an easy win for the Lakers. Look for Malone and Jermaine to have double doubles and expect a good battle between the 2 pf's.

Shaq/Foster & Pollard- This matchup depends on which Shaq we see tonight (which will be determined on how his calf feels). If we see the Shaq we saw against the Spurs then it should be an interesting night, with Shaq struggling and Kobe not being able to perform like he usually does, we will have to rely on a big night from Malone and Payton.

If Shaq comes in tonight and feels better...look for him to dominate this game, because Foster and/or Pollard can't prevent Shaq from getting to the basket, Shaq will draw the fouls, get them into early foul trouble and score/rebound at will. He is the biggest factor in how tonight's game will be played and quite possibly what the outcome of it is.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby crucifido on Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:43 pm

Lakers by 6

Lakers - 96
Pacers - 90
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby FirstLady on Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:30 pm

Can somebody please post the link to an on-line broadcast of tonight's game? I'm in figgin' Indiana and the game isn't being televised on NBA Season Pass! :man6: :man6:
FirstLady
Clublakers Queen (1st Female)

Postby soniclude on Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:35 pm

FirstLady wrote:Can somebody please post the link to an on-line broadcast of tonight's game? I'm in figgin' Indiana and the game isn't being televised on NBA Season Pass! :man6: :man6:
You mean they don't even show it locally? That's wak.

Try out these radio streams:

Windows Media Player
http://www.warpradio.com/popTuner.asp?id=796

Winamp
http://marconi.in-con.com:8000/listen.pls

The Windows Media one isn't playing the Lakers game yet, so if they don't, stick with the Winamp stream. :mhihi:

GO LAKERS!
ImageImage
soniclude

Postby FirstLady on Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:40 pm

G-Lakers wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but they were the ones that ended out our unbeaten streak back in 2001 (I believe).

Nope, that was the Sixers.
FirstLady

Postby Bolong on Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:22 pm

FUKKIN AWESOME! I live near Toronto and I can't believe I can listen in! Does this station ALWAYS broadcast Laker games? If so... I'm in Canadian-Laker-Loving Heaven! :jam2:
Bolong

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:25 pm

Lakers up 21-17...Shaq has 3 fouls after picking up an offensive foul with 8 seconds left of the first quarter...
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby FirstLady on Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:36 pm

soniclude wrote:You mean they don't even show it locally? That's wak.

I'm not actually considered "local" to Indianapolis. I'm over 100 miles northeast, so I don't get the same channels as they do. It's like L.A. channels are different from Sacramento, San Diego, etc.

Thanks a bunch for the links. :jam2: I'm going to try them right now.
FirstLady

Postby Guest on Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:38 pm

We're missing too many easy shots. :disagree:

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:07 pm

Well it's Halftime and we are up by 9
Lakers 46
Pacers 37
JSM

Postby murcielago62 on Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:10 pm

Good quarter, Shaq didn't play and the Lakers held their own...
"Sitting in the house, I'm loadin' up the pump. I'm loadin' up the Uzi. I got a couple M-16s, a couple 9s. I got a couple joints with some silencers on them. I'm just loading clips, a couple grenades. I got a missile launcher with a couple of missiles. I'm ready for war." - Kevin Garnett
murcielago62

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:12 pm

the points are spread out tonight:

Kobe-9 points
Malone-8 points and 9 rebounds
Shaq-5 points (only played 5 minutes)
Russell-5 points (3 of them came from a 3 pointer at the end of the 2nd quarter)
Payton, Grant, & Slava-each have 4 points
George-3 points
Fisher & Rush-2 points each
JSM

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:41 pm

for pics of tonight's game, be sure to keep checking the photo page:
http://www.clublakers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=79292#79292
JSM

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:47 pm

is it safe to say we beat another team? I think so, I know it's not over yet, but we are up by 17 and it's the end of the 3rd quarter. And Shaq had a good quarter, he scored 10 points in the 3rd
JSM

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:51 pm

also Malone is playing well, he has 11 points and 15 boards.

The Pacers are supposed to be the best team in the league (At least record wise) and we are beating them by 19 points, if this is the type of performance we can expect out of them if we play them in the finals, then I am quite confident we will have no problems sweeping them in the finals
JSM

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:17 pm

we won another one

Lakers 99
Pacers 77
JSM

Postby JSM on Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:23 pm

stats
Everyone played in this one, Walton and Pargo were the only one's not to score

Shaq-23 points, 5 rebounds
Kobe-12 points, 7 dimes
Fisher-12 points
Malone-11 points, 15 boards
Slava-10 points
Payton-8 points, 5 assists, 4 steals
Russell-7 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds
Rush-7 points
Grant-6 points
George-3 points
JSM

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:47 pm

Damn jsm0331, thanks for getting ontop of things. What a great win for the Lakers.

We proved a couple of things -- We really are invincible at home, and we're driven off of our home crowd. Like I said all season long, I don't see the Lakers losing a home game this season.

We proved further that the WEST is BEST - The Pacers are one hell of a team - no doubt about it. But when matched up against the West. No Eastern team has the power to defeat any of the top 8 Western teams. Period. We sent a message to the East in case they were in denial of this.

However, even with the consistent play of everybody, we still have something to prove. As Stu Lantz brought up near the end of the game, we must be able to dominate on the road.

Wed. @ San Antonio will tell us alot about this club. Perhaps one final answer to the questions us fans so hardly want to be answered. If we can play well Wed... again, on the road. Then we are for real. The Lakers MUST send a statement out Wed.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby o0O kb8 O0o on Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:49 pm

man guys...im gettin kinda bored...no one can even give us a good fight anymore...
o0O kb8 O0o

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:55 pm

o0O kb8 O0o wrote:man guys...im gettin kinda bored...no one can even give us a good fight anymore...

At home? Seemingly No.

On the road however is the question. The Lakers will need to prove they can play consistanetly dominate on the road. The Spurs game in S.A. on Wed. will tell us alot as I mentioned above.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:56 pm

UN BE LIE VA BLE

these last 2 games are STATEMENT games to tha NBA! The whole NBA is in trouble cuz tha lakers are startin to click on tha DEFENSIVE end, and they have meshed that together with their already potent OFFENSE! I mean even without shaq, we were able to hold tha pacers off from cuttin tha lead down to 2 or 4 pts!

The biggest stat of this game came from tha bench: 42 PTS!!!

and Rush and Fisher once again brought their "A" games, with Fisher goin 4-10 from tha field for 12 pts(including a buzzer beater and a couple of BIG 3's in tha 3rd), and Rush goin 3-4 from tha field for 7 pts in JUST 8 minutes(including a NICE finish on an alley oop pass from pargo in tha waning seconds of tha game)

Kobe and Payton dint hafta do much in this game, goin JUST 6-17 from tha field for a combined 20 pts, but kobe had 7 assts and Payton had 5, as payton didnt even play tha 4th quarter....Malone once again showing his dominance on tha boards and MAN HANDLED J Oneal down low, goin for 11 pts and 15 boards...and of course after scorin jus 7 pts against SA, shaq comes back to lead tha lakers with 23 pts despite playin only 5 minutes in tha 1st quarter!

I have GOT to say im not tha best at predicting tha outcome of games or what tha score will be, but i didnt think we'd blow this team out by 22!!! i really thot it'd be down to tha wire, maybe a 97-91 victory somethin like that....but man tha lakers EXPOSED tha pacers tonight....i guess i was right about tha pacers, they aint ALL THAT GOOD TIL THEY BEAT THE BEST AND THA BEST NOW IS THA LAKERS!
FabFourLakers

Postby soniclude on Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:24 pm

Bolong wrote:FUKKIN AWESOME! I live near Toronto and I can't believe I can listen in! Does this station ALWAYS broadcast Laker games? If so... I'm in Canadian-Laker-Loving Heaven! :jam2:
Yea I'm pretty sure they do most of the home games, if not all of them. Away games are harder to find because it depends on the city they're in, but I'll do my best to get 'em. :mhihi:
ImageImage
soniclude

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Gameday