Sun. 12/18 vs. Rockets - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby 2BContN2004 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:33 am

I don't feel like going back and reading every post tonight so if this has been mentioned, my apologies.

I think our mistake tonight was trying to draw McGrady's 4th foul (or was it 5th either way). He was guarding Lamar and Lamar kept forcing the issue to draw the foul. Yes he was fouled a couple of times and we didn't get the call. But either it came from Phil or LO just taking it upon himself but it was a mistake to keep going at TMac to try and draw a foul!!! It took us out of our game. They should have left the playing dictate itself. And worst of all was that LO was struggling so he had no momentum to try and take it to TMac.

Say what you will but before LO tried geting that next foul on TMac, we were up by 12. Next thing you know, the Rockets go on a 15-0 run. Big mistake, hopefully lesson learned.

And by no means am I placing all blame on LO for this loss. The team as a whole was horrible in the second half, but I believe what I mentioned above was the turning point.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things" Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
2BContN2004

Postby 2BContN2004 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:36 am

KB8@CL wrote:It was not all Deveans mistake although he and Odom took the entire blame in the press conference and they both wanted to be blamed for the loss. You can get beaten by T-Mac, ish happens.

Kobe also gave up that WIDE WIDE open 3 that Wesley scored. And he scored only 2 FTs in the 4th so he should be upset about himself and his impact in the 4th. He didn´t play well either.

:bow: I am one of Kobe's biggest supporters but where did he go in the 4th quarter? He went "Peja" on us!!! He was trying too hard to get everyone involved but we needed him to take control just like TMac did.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things" Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
2BContN2004

Postby Total_Package on Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:45 am

MARK MY WORDS

You guys have to admit that this team would be much better with Ron Artest

Even though Odom is more productive and a better fit for the triangle then Ron Artest, Odom lacks alot of Defense. His offensive productions may look good, but his bad defense makes his offensive productions look like nothing.
Everyone knows that Defense>Offense
Defense wins titles, offense wins games and sells tickets

However, the real question I have is, would Artest stay loyal to the team? Does he really want to come here?
Phil has dealt with situations like Ron Artest espically with Shaq and Rodman.
FAQs:
Caron Butler totally owns Kwame Brown
You guys need to stop acting like if Brown>Butler.
Butler was the better offensive player. Kwame is just a bench player averaging 21mins/6pts/6rebs per game on solid defense.
If a PG wanted to, he could box out Kwame...
Total_Package

Postby hdtvset on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:09 am

Why did we take 20 3pts? They didn't have Yao and Mutombo didn't play the 4th. How come we didn't go to the basket? I can't believe this. :bang:
hdtvset

Postby BDG on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:16 am

Wow I've gone to the 2 most heartbreaking losses at home this year...

Minnesota and Houston.

Maybe the 2 worst ones of the year ... blown leads and get crushed in the 4th quarter.

Lamar played like an idiot tonight. We need consistency from him... not 3 points on 1/5 shooting. He made no attempt to get himself involved ... period.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Coville on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:30 am

I think Kwame should be getting 10 shot per game.

He has been shooting about 50% and getting fouled underneath.

Pound it inside to the big man untill he is missing shots or drawing the double team.

I really like how Kwame has been playing, very solid game tonight beside the broken down help defense between him and Odom. Considering the huge play he made with 19 seconds left I found it forgivable.

ALSO why was George covering McGrady at the end of the game? Why wasn't Kobe guarding him?
Coville

Postby Lateralus on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:32 am

BryantDunkGiant wrote:Wow I've gone to the 2 most heartbreaking losses at home this year...

Minnesota and Houston.

Maybe the 2 worst ones of the year ... blown leads and get crushed in the 4th quarter.

Lamar played like an idiot tonight. We need consistency from him... not 3 points on 1/5 shooting. He made no attempt to get himself involved ... period.

I've only gone to a few Laker games and this was the last possible thing I wanted to happen when I went today: for the Lakers to build up a solid lead, only to blow it and lose by a game winner. Damn, I'm pissed.
Lateralus

Postby EQualizer on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:36 am

i think asking who was guarding mcgrady, etc. is a moot point

some of you guys either don't realize the talent mcgrady has or you aren't respecting him or watever...

point is, mcgrady is a HUGE offensive talent, he probably has ability to blow by even artest, or whoever you think is a very good defender

in the end it comes down to what happened AFTER he blew by his defender, there should have been help, someone should have stopped him, stepped in front of him, anything, and we'd have gone into OT, or he would have had to made a MUCH MORE difficult shot

the way he waltzed into the lane was too easy, and i know that d.george gets a lot of hate on the boards, but, mcgrady blowing by his defender is something you should expect mcgrady to do on nearly anyone
EQualizer

Postby KB24 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:39 am

Coville wrote:I think Kwame should be getting 10 shot per game.

He has been shooting about 50% and getting fouled underneath.

Pound it inside to the big man untill he is missing shots or drawing the double team.

I really like how Kwame has been playing, very solid game tonight beside the broken down help defense between him and Odom. Considering the huge play he made with 19 seconds left I found it forgivable.

ALSO why was George covering McGrady at the end of the game? Why wasn't Kobe guarding him?

Jax and his genius ideas, like in other games when Fox was guarding him. He thinks Kobe wastes too much energy but I truely ask my self where Kobe was in the second half? He did nada. I didn´t see the first half but in the second half he had a couple of bad and forced shots, some defensive lapses and nothing more...

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby bumrusherer on Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:54 am

KB8@CL wrote:Jax and his genius ideas, like in other games when Fox was guarding him. He thinks Kobe wastes too much energy but I truely ask my self where Kobe was in the second half? He did nada. I didn´t see the first half but in the second half he had a couple of bad and forced shots, some defensive lapses and nothing more...

where was kobe? playing an efficient game, thats where he was.

you do realise that he cannot take over every game, dont you?
bumrusherer

Postby KB24 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:00 am

bumrusherer wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:Jax and his genius ideas, like in other games when Fox was guarding him. He thinks Kobe wastes too much energy but I truely ask my self where Kobe was in the second half? He did nada. I didn´t see the first half but in the second half he had a couple of bad and forced shots, some defensive lapses and nothing more...

ya I know but how can you take 33 shots against Bruce Bowen and 13 against Wesley :man3: . He can´t take over every game but he can try and I didn´t see the fire. On neither end. I mean Kobe was pretty hot in the last few games and then he came into the second half and nothing was going. I wonder why?

KB24
Site Admin

Postby bumrusherer on Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:09 am

KB8@CL wrote:
bumrusherer wrote:

ya I know but how can you take 33 shots against Bruce Bowen and 13 against Wesley :man3: . He can´t take over every game but he can try and I didn´t see the fire. On neither end. I mean Kobe was pretty hot in the last few games and then he came into the second half and nothing was going. I wonder why?

because sometimes it's good to find out if your teammates can win the game.

we dont want them to become too reliant on Kobe having huge 2nd halfs at home.
bumrusherer

Postby KB24 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:17 am

Kobe´s comments after the game

"Maybe I should take it upon myself a little bit more," Bryant said. "Tonight, I don't know. It's just [about getting] good looks. We've got to keep it rolling. I'll just gauge. Certain games I need to take it over, some games I don't need to take it over."

"I could force the issue and shoot the ball through a double-team and get a pretty good look myself, but they were just standing out there wide open all night long," Bryant said. "Next time, they'll knock them down."

Then again, the next time McGrady has the ball on the final play, Bryant said, "I'll guard him."

Jax said

"I don't know if expecting anything is reasonable with this group right now," Jackson said. "We just take what we get."

"I'm not going to qualify Kobe as changing," Jackson said in response to a pregame question that asked him to do just that. "I think he's the same person. I think he's grown into or matured over [time]. But this is the same guy. Same guy that's determined to win, who's gonna encourage his teammates through the most vocal means necessary to get them to play hard, do all those things it takes to win ballgames in the most intense way. He's the guy that's going to jump through hoops that are on fire to win games."

Jackson was asked if Bryant has recognized that he can't win games by himself.

"He may recognize that," Jackson said, "but it still doesn't mean he's not going to try."

"They had a full clock to work with, and we stood there and watched McGrady get a layup, which is inexcusable," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "Our big guys failed us in that situation when they didn't plug the lane or block the shot."

Lamar said

Odom also took responsibility, saying: "I was down there with Kwame Brown. We have to converge a little better and force him to take a shot with a degree of difficulty, and we didn't. I will take the blame for that one -- I was right there."

Gump said

"He got a step on me," George said. "I thought he was going to run the clock down a little more. I kind of relaxed a little bit. I think he kind of read my getting out of my stance and took off. He had a clear path to the basket. I was trailing the play. My fault.

"Next time, I won't get out of my stance."

KB24
Site Admin

Postby KB24 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:21 am

some more
Bryant scored 24 points on six-for-13 shooting, had six assists and was faulted by Laker Coach Phil Jackson for not being aggressive enough. He scored only two points in the fourth quarter, when he was 0 for 3 from the field.

"It was disappointing because you cannot just give up a layup to win the game, 35 feet from the basket and the guy dribbles down the lane and just lays the ball up," Bryant said. "That just shouldn't happen."

And then, with jaw clenched, said, "Next time, I'll guard him."

Said Jackson: "We stood there and watched McGrady get a layup, which was inexcusable. Our big guys failed us in that situation when they didn't plug the lane."

"He just wasn't fluid out there in the game," Jackson said of Odom. "I felt that he was hesitant operating offensively."

He wasn't the only player guilty of indecision.

"We let them guard Kobe with six-foot [David] Wesley and Kobe was hesitant," Jackson said. "He wasn't just turning and shooting the ball on this guy who literally can't defend him in that position."

KB24
Site Admin

Postby KB24 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:37 am

^^^ Actual Size of Mitch´s brain^^^

KB24
Site Admin

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:24 am

Damn. We should've took this one... :bang:
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby TalkieWalkie on Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:00 am

Kobe is your best defender...yet hes not guarding McGRADY???

IMO with all the lapses throught the team in that game, Phil's was the worst for messing up the assignment and keeping george in there for WAY to long.

T-Mac should have been guarded by Kobe on that final play and everyone knows it...

PERIOD...

end of disscussion.

And with time winding down...MAKE HIM PASS...seriously.. he went to the hole as time expired...why not converge...make him pass...and probably screw the play up...

This is = to that play back in 02-03 where Rob hit the tre with 2 seconds left to put us ahead against teh Wiz...then they get a uncontested layup to win.....

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE.....

NEXT GAME.
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby slimjim on Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:35 am

bumrusherer wrote:
slimjim wrote:i read on the espn message board that kobe was crying on the bench after t-mac made the layup... is that true?

you being serious?

i dunno if he was or not... but the thread is real

http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?forumID=736&threadID=2862101&lastPostID=17214673

there are big time haters and jerks on the espn message board
slimjim

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:54 am

Geez, I haven't seen so many haters as I saw there! :man4:
I think it's bluff, they haven't got any sources and it's cookup by sucky ESPN boards users...
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby kwamejoke on Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:51 am

Total_Package wrote:Odom got OWNED!!!
Mitch is the General Murder of lakers.

Caron > kwame BUT caron + chucky < kwame !
kwamejoke

Postby kwamejoke on Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:55 am

nameant wrote:kwame needs to work on his FTs. you are a professional basketball player. i guarantee any random person in the audience can hit 50% on their FTs. :disagree:

Is shaq there ? :man10: :man10:
Mitch is the General Murder of lakers.

Caron > kwame BUT caron + chucky < kwame !
kwamejoke

Postby strikemode14 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:58 am

This is a disappointing lost. Kobe can lockdown T-Mac he has done it in the past. So when the game is on the line why in the heck is D.George him. :bang: :bang: IMO Kobe should have been on him for most of the game. If he had been you can mark a W period.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:45 am

Kwame should hire free-throw shooting coach to improve FT %. I remember when Shaq had FT coach, his freethrows percentage improved.
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby KB24 on Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:51 am

Kwame has a nice form on his FT but he shoots them really terrible. Dude doesn´t take the time to concentrate at all, its all automatic and its always off. Damn it he can´t hit 50%? WTF, He was a 67% shooter 2-3 years ago.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby nameant on Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:04 am

KB8@CL wrote:Kwame has a nice form on his FT but he shoots them really terrible. Dude doesn´t take the time to concentrate at all, its all automatic and its always off. Damn it he can´t hit 50%? WTF, He was a 67% shooter 2-3 years ago.

the only thing holding kwame back from being a GREAT basketball player is CONFIDENCE and PATIENCE. everytime this guy plays and anytime he gets the ball, it's like it's the 1st time he's ever played in front of a stadium full of fans. he bobbles the ball so much b/c most of the time he's trying to catch the ball and go up for the shot at the same time. he always rushes shots..especially layups under the hoop when there's a possibility of getting blocked. if there's traffic under the hoop, you can bet kwame will miss. the only time kwame SUCCESSFULLY makes a shot is when he's wide open. he's just in such a rush to do everything. at the FT line..you can see in his eyes, he knows he's going to miss.
nameant

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Gameday