Sun. 10/24 vs. Suns - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby dj vitus on Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:01 am

I'm going to this game! Will post pics after I develop my camera (sorry too cheap to buy a digital right now...)
dj vitus

Postby Real Deal on Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:54 am

Image Image
Phoenix Suns (5-0) @ Los Angeles Lakers (3-2)
Time: 7:30 p.m.
TV: KCAL

Previous Games:
Clippers @ Lakers 113-102 W
Jazz @ Suns 108-67 W

Projected Starting Lineups
SUNS
(Mike D'Antoni)
ImageImageImageImageImage
(Steve Nash, Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire, Jake Voskuhl)
VS
LAKERS
(Rudy Tomjanovich)
ImageImageImageImageImage
(Chucky Atkins, Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom, Brian Grant, Chris Mihm)

Factors off the Bench
ImageImage
(Leandro Barbosa, Brian Cook)

Game MVPs
ImageImage
(Amare Stoudemire, Kobe Bryant)

Brandon's Analysis
The Lakers are faced with a tough decision as to who to play at the four...between Brian Grant (body) or Lamar Odom (agility). If Amare Stoudemire serves as the matchup at the power forward spot, the Lakers are more than likely going to play Brian Grant (which is the most reasonable possibility). An aspect that the Lakers are going to have to expose in this game is the ability to play tough defense and read passes driven directly into the lane. The Suns will have to contain Kobe Bryant's perimeter shooting in this game, but hopefully (for Suns fans), his defender is NOT Quentin Richardson, who hasn't been displaying average defense since his first day in the league.

Chris Mihm will have to position quickly for every rebound, and be prepared for a physical game against Amare, who will (more than once) take the ball to the hoop past his defender, to meet Mihm at the net.

Nash may have an easy game tonight, especially with effective penetrations against the smaller Atkins. Bet on Nash pulling up a few threes also, as the Suns may feel like they have an advantage on the boards against Mihm and Grant.

A tendon in Caron Butler's finger could keep him out of the game, or at least for part of it...which leaves us with one less defender. This calls for a solid game from Jumaine Jones, who has been impressive as of late in the pre-season.

Brandon's Prediction
Unfortunately, the Suns have been on a rampage since the beginning of pre-season, and I have a feeling that it may continue tonight against our Lakers. Our frontcourt will struggle against the Suns, as well as Atkins and the backup guards. Expect a strong game from Kobe and good numbers from Tierre Brown and Brian Cook, but no more. Odom still has to find his role on the team, and playing both the three and the four will affect his game tonight, against both Marion and Amare.

Suns will more than likely run off with this game, 93-84.
Real Deal

Postby KB24 on Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:44 am

No matter who winns! More important is a progress in the lakers game!

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Triumph Jelani on Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:52 am

The Pacific is a 3-team race... Suns, Kings, & Kobe's team. And in that order is how they may finished.. But this is a good test for us @ the point, the post, & Kobe's ability to find the open man as he's being doubled.
:shaq:
Triumph Jelani

Postby purple_and_gold_fever on Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:13 am

lets go lakers!!!!!! :jam2:
purple_and_gold_fever

Postby 8kobe8 on Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:07 am

I think phoenix will win. I think this game will be intresting to see how well we can match up with a good team like the suns.
8kobe8

Postby G|B|G|B on Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:55 am

is butler going to play?
G|B|G|B
ClubHeatHoops.com Administrator

Postby Cleansed on Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:56 pm

Triumph Jelani wrote:The Pacific is a 3-team race... Suns, Kings, & Kobe's team. And in that order is how they may finished.. But this is a good test for us @ the point, the post, & Kobe's ability to find the open man as he's being doubled.
:shaq:

Yes sir. Excellent test coming up tonight and im looking forward to it. Particularly i think thelynchpin for the Suns is Joe Johnson and Amare. If Amare is average or contained and Joe doesnt play above himself then we may eek this one out.

What the heck.....96 - 92

LAKERS!
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby Triumph Jelani on Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:26 pm

Joe Johnson want 10M a year???? he barely got his starting job back
Triumph Jelani

Postby 8kobe8 on Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:40 pm

Sorry, I know this dosent have to do with this tread but i just wanted to ask. Our last pre-season game is against the wizards i am just wondering where the game is going to be played. Are the going to D.C or what?
8kobe8

Postby BDG on Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:44 pm

AWESOME post, realdealbneal...

Is Q-Rich playing?
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby MarkMadsen on Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:57 pm

8kobe8 wrote:Sorry, I know this dosent have to do with this tread but i just wanted to ask. Our last pre-season game is against the wizards i am just wondering where the game is going to be played. Are the going to D.C or what?

--Thursday, Oct. 28: Oklahoma City (Ford Center)
MarkMadsen

Postby JSM on Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:03 pm

Here's some good news...Amare won't be 100% tonight.

The Arizona Republic: Suns forward Amare Stoudemire sat out Saturday's practice with the flu, but is expected to play tonight.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Real Deal on Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:34 pm

BryantDunkGiant wrote:AWESOME post, realdealbneal...

Is Q-Rich playing?

And yes, Q-Rich is playing...but I doubt he'll be a huge factor in this game, especially if he is assigned to guard Kobe (which I think is a huge mistake). I see D'Antoni splitting up the time between Johnson and Richardson, and with Quentin's defense probably the worst out of the other starters, then I really see Q-Rich having trouble.
Real Deal

Postby RHCP on Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:38 pm

jsm0331 wrote:Here's some good news...Amare won't be 100% tonight.

The Arizona Republic: Suns forward Amare Stoudemire sat out Saturday's practice with the flu, but is expected to play tonight.

It's not like it matters, since the pre-season is not really important at all. I think the only person who really thinks the pre season is really important is Shaqfan. Anyways, I don't ever think it is good news if a player on the other team is sick or injured(Unless it's in the playoffs :man1:)
RHCP
2nd Cousin of Cherokee Parks

Postby Realm of Shadows on Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:42 pm

No interest in this game? :man3:
What do you get when you fall in love? You only get lies and pain and sorrow.
I feel so much like giving up
Realm of Shadows
Proud Mestizo

Postby OdomIn05 on Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:17 pm

Is there any site that has a live box score of this game or a "gamecast" type thing??

thanks in advance
OdomIn05

Postby BDG on Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:24 pm

Hahaha who saw Elvis playing basketball in the LTV pre-game opener :man10:
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby KB24 on Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:29 pm

When does the game start?

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby BDG on Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:31 pm

KB8 till infinity wrote:When does the game start?
In about 5 minutes it tips off

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:32 pm

Chucky Atkins and Tierre Brown vs Steve Nash and Leandro Barbosa: Another tough matchup for the Lakers. Chucky has yet to do anything other than be average. We are going to need a lot more out of him, since he is going to be our starting PG, he is playing like a backup PG, at best. We face one of the quickest, flashiest, PGs in the West. Nash loves to get out and run and can be an offensive threat, not to mention that he does a great job of getting Amare, JJ, Richardson, and Marion the ball. So, a backup PG against Nash...should be interesting, to say the least. Nash will win this matchup and could probably do it in a quarter. And coming in behind him is Barbosa, who had a very solid season last year, he can really put up the numbers for the Suns, if given the playing time. I would expect for Tierre to get a lot of time tonight, especially after tearing apart the Clippers like they were practice dummies. Brown once claimed that he thought he could get by anyone and it looked that away against the Clippers, he is just that fast, and knows how to get to the basket whenever he wants. He has also done a great job of distributing the ball, especially from under the basket. He and Bobitt really play well together, so I would hope for Rudy to play them together, like he has been doing. Brown is out backup point guard, unless we see a miraculous remainder of the pre-season from Bobbitt or Sasha, which isn't likely. I think Brown can hold his own against Leo and stop him from getting on a scoring rampage. The backup matchup should prove to be better than the starting one. I would also expect for Rudy to give Sasha and Bobbitt minutes at the point, but Bobbitt will be playing primarily at the two guard with Brown, and Sasha will probably get around the amount of playing time that he got against the Clippers.

Kobe Bryant vs Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson:
Kobe has been Kobe. I think that's the best way to describe his performances this pre-season. He has been our best player, no surprise, he has been logging in big minutes, putting up some big numbers, attacking the basket, exciting fans with some high flying dunks, passing it some (even though he has been getting turnovers because the recipient of the pass isn't ready for it), getting rebounds, and playing D. He has his work cut out for him tonight, he is going against two players than can start on almost any team. So, one starter against two, seems tiring, huh? Q-Rich has been doing quite well for them, shooting, scoring, and rebounding the ball, he has been nothing but a great pickup for them. JJ has been solid for them too, in his reduced role, doing what he did last year, just less of it, due to the fact that he has to split time with Richardson. As good as Kobe is, this is a battle he just can't win. 2-1 is almost an impossible task to overcome. Kobe will get his we all know this, but he won't be able to stop this duo. I don't think they have a great chance of stopping Kobe though, he is just too good and too determined to get his points, and neither of these Suns are the best defenders. Jones will see some minutes against this backcourt and so will Bobbitt, since he is a strong and big.

Lamar Odom vs Shawn Marion: the two Olympians go head to head. Marion has had a good pre-season, but nothing spectacular. Well, that's a lot more than we can say for Lamar. Kobe's Pippen has been more like Kobe's Scott Burrelll. He just hasn't been there, I don't know whether he is still tired from the Olympics or he hasn't adjusted to Rudy T's offense or if he just isn't used to playing for the Lakers yet. He has had a couple of good rebounding games, some solid defensive performances, but for the most part he is not what he is expecting of himself, what Rudy is expecting out of him, what the Lakers are expecting out of him, or what the fans are expecting out of him. He is going to be this team's second best scorer, the second fiddle, but he is more like our 5th best player right now. What is really lacking still is his shot, he just can't get the ball at the right time or a good look at the basket. Both players are similar in the way they play, Marion is a little more flashy, but their numbers are very similar. Both are long players that do a little of it all, provide their team with rebounds, blocks, points, assists, and a solid game night in and night out. Odom is taller and longer, but not much bulkier, in fact based on height, Marion is the bulkier player. I expect Marion to win this matchup, just because he has been playing better, and Odom has been struggling. We are all hoping that he will have a breakout game and snap out of his funk, but this just isn't the game I expect him to do it in. Also, Caron might play, unlikely but possible. If he does I wouldn't expect miracles out of him, since he has a hurt pinky. A sub-par night, would be expected. Luke is scheuled to play, so with Jones playing behind Kobe, Luke will see some minutes at the SF.

Brian Grant and Brian Cook vs Amare Stoudamire: This is going to be the first real challenge that our front court has faced, a challenge that we won't likely be able to stop. Amare is one of the best PF's in the game, the only positive for us is that he is fighting the flu, so he will be tired, and won't play as many minutes and the Suns would like for him to play. We need Grant to play against him, rather than Odom. Grant is a better banger and defender against a player such as Amare. BG hasn't seen a whole lot of action in these pre-season games, usually under 20 minutes, but tonight I think he will see more minutes, especially since Caron will see limited action (meaning Odom has to play the 3), if any action, due to a torn tendon in his pinky. We need Grant to be there for us tonight and play like he likes to play and how we know he can play. He is one of the best hustle players we have, despite his age and his less than great knees, he gives it 110% whenever he steps on the court. He is a solid inside presence that can get after loose balls and can score down low, this is what we need. Amare will have to work on D and this will hopefully tire him out even more. Grant is also a big enough body to bother Amare on defense. I don't think we have anyone that can stop Amare, not even if we stick a couple of guys on him; he is too young, too athletic, too powerfol, too strong, and just too good. Amare is just going to give our offense fits, I think we might as well realize this, let him do his thing, and worry about stopping their guards, which is easier said that done. Cook will also get his minutes tonight, he has been very good this pre-season too. He has been nailing his 3 pointers, like they were layups, he has been athletic on both ends, rebounding the ball, blocking shots, just showing up in every aspect. He will likely play against Lampe and Zarko, neither have been consistent this pre-season. Both have been shooting and both have been going after the ball, so this should be interesting to see how Cook does against them, because I seriously doubt he will see 1 second of play against Amare.

Chris Mihm vs Jake Voskuhl: Chris has yet to have a bad game this pre-season, I don't expect this to be any different. Hopefully he still has some of that fire that we saw against the Clippers. We saw a player that rarely shows emotion get tossed, if he can channel that fire to his game, then that would only make him that much better. Jake is a quick, center, but isn't that big, in fact Mihm is taller and stronger than Jake. Mihm has been playing all out, rebounding, hustling, going after rebounds, swatting shots away, making his shots, basically doing anything and everything he can on both ends. He catches a break on defense tonight, because some of the two pre-season players that we released today, Dupree and Yankee have more offensive skill than Jake. This means that he can help Brian out on defense, because we are going to need all the help that we can get against Amare, the best big man we have faced this pre-season. I expect a double double from Chis tonight, he is going to use his height and weight advantange in battling for position and getting rebounds over Jake. And Jake is a quick, decent defender, but nothing better than what Chris has already faced and done well against in this pre-season. This is one of our brightest spots against their worst starting player. Also, their backup center is not very skilled either, Hunter has been cut by the Cavs, that doesn't say much for him. He is young and athletic, it ends there. Nwanko can even hold his own against him.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby UsC/LaKeRs on Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:39 pm

This is going to be intresting the Kobe and Q match-up, I remember Kobe took Brandy to her HS prom way back when, and Q is currently married to Brandy.*
UsC/LaKeRs

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:40 pm

UsC/LaKeRs wrote:This is going to be intresting the Kobe and Q match-up, I remember Kobe took Brandy to her HS prom way back when, and Q is currently married to Brandy.*

lol, the match up: winner gets brandy? :man3: :man10:
GWHiZiTSPHiL
Clublakers Rep: Clippers

Postby RHCP on Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:44 pm

I'LL DO PLAY BY PLAY.

ODOM 1/2 FREE THROWS.

Q MISSES.
RHCP
2nd Cousin of Cherokee Parks

Postby RHCP on Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:44 pm

ODOM TO MIHM FOR THE DUNK
RHCP