Sun. 10/17 vs. Warriors - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby trumpjelani on Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:53 pm

missmyzte wrote:James Worthy needs to get over the hockey-pucks, they look pretty cool.

James is working with Mihm on improving his game :man9:
Image <br>
<b>The Bryant-surrounded-by-youngsters-and-journeymen approach </b>
trumpjelani

Postby Frank White on Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:54 pm

I'm glad to see that Mihm is doing so well for all those who saw fit to tout him as Travis Knight II! I'm telling you, the kid can play.....
Frank White
Clublakers Moderator

Postby crucifido on Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:56 pm

Odom is only struggling with being on a new team with a dominating player such as Kobe. This is the first time he's been on a team where the offense and high post defense doesn't solely rely on him.

I don't know if it's as much of a negative as it is just a period of adjustment for him. Of all the new players the Lakers acquired Odom and Atkins have the hardest transition to make. With encouragement and drive from himself, Rudy, Kobe and the rest of the Lakers, Odom will soon fall into form.

Defense is the toughest thing to grab a hold of. Learning how your teammates play and the system being run isn't as easy as offense. Every player in the NBA can play offense, that's not rough. It's defense where the games are won and lost. Once these guys go through some trials, they'll get into worked into shape.

I'm with ya Naismith. I've said all along the kid has chops. The Mihm jersies will soon be seen all around town, you can bank on that.

And thanks for the compliment BDG.
Last edited by crucifido on Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Kasumi on Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:56 pm

I've posted several highlights already in the theatre thread. :jam2:
ImageImage

"Basketball reasons" is as believable coming from Mitch Kupchak as it was coming from David Stern. #IWantedPhil
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby leftymo on Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:01 pm

Nice to see LA win, nice to see them win with Kobe shooting 3-10!

Maybe he'll see there's other ways to help the club!

Although it appears that rebounding is a problem, maybe they can get by (until Malone returns) by team rebounding. Today the Lakers clearly outrebounded the Warriors, but nobody had more than 7.

So the team is looking good. Mihm obviously is shining, so maybe LA won't falter as much with Vlade out.

Butler & Grant will take time to get their feet under them.

Odom shooting 5-21 in the first two... not good, and I can see why Rudy T will sit him in one of the back to backs. (smart move).

overall, kudos to the team... continue to work hard, continue to develop.
leftymo

Postby lakerfool on Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:02 pm

Dre Naismith wrote:I'm glad to see that Mihm is doing so well for all those who saw fit to tout him as Travis Knight II! I'm telling you, the kid can play.....

so how well did he do?

I mean defense wise?
I SUPPORT THE WHOLE LAKER TEAM NOT JUST CERTAIN PLAYERS: (pm to join) slimjim, Realm of Shadows, KareemTheGreat33, Bballgirl85, DMK, strategos, Kobe#2, Kob3eight, jellyroll49, LALShowtime, Genius GZA, Shooter871, Juronimo
lakerfool

Postby BDG on Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:05 pm

lakerfool wrote:
Dre Naismith wrote:I'm glad to see that Mihm is doing so well for all those who saw fit to tout him as Travis Knight II! I'm telling you, the kid can play.....

so how well did he do?

I mean defense wise?
2 blocks, but he still was a presence in the post.

14 points on 6/11 shooting.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby crucifido on Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:06 pm

Mihm had:
14 Points
6 Rebounds
2 Blocks
1 Steal
2 Assists

...and about 4 or 5 shots altered in the lane. Couple those along with being right where he should setting picks on offense, listening to the coaches and Kobe well, good footwork for a 7 footer and rotating fairly well defensively and the guy played another great game. Get used to it.

:man1:
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby gill on Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:07 pm

Wow... better game overall. Well balanced but Odom needs to get going. Mihm continues to impress and will be a good 6th man off the bench backing up Vlade.
gill

Postby crucifido on Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:08 pm

Don't know if he'd be backing up Vlade every game though. As mathc-ups go, he may be a good starter against teams witha smaller presence in the middle.

Put Vlade at the center and Malone / Mihm / Grant at the C or PF against bigger teams and I can't see how the Lakers having incredible struggles.

It's the point guard this year that will be rough to watch.

Odom will get going, like I said, him and Atkins have the toughest transitions to make of all the new acquisitions this year. This is what the pre-season is for.
Last edited by crucifido on Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby lakerfool on Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:09 pm

thanks guys

I knew he could play...but i thought he was just going to be a backuppish

Man, if only we could have gotten banks outta the deal in the end
I SUPPORT THE WHOLE LAKER TEAM NOT JUST CERTAIN PLAYERS: (pm to join) slimjim, Realm of Shadows, KareemTheGreat33, Bballgirl85, DMK, strategos, Kobe#2, Kob3eight, jellyroll49, LALShowtime, Genius GZA, Shooter871, Juronimo
lakerfool

Postby RHCP on Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:16 pm

For those of you who question why Tierre Brown didn't play, the answer is simple. There a lot of guys who Rudy needs to put out during the pre season. Tierre played a lot of the first game. In the second game, guys who didn't play very much at all(Sasha, Bobbit, Nwake) had to get some playing time. Sasha definently showed us he was worth the pick and Bobbit didn't really live up to the hype we gave him. Also remember Caron and Grant came back today so that means there is even less of a chance that Tierre Brown was going to play. Expect Tierre to play on Tuesday against the Queens.
RHCP
2nd Cousin of Cherokee Parks

Postby trumpjelani on Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:34 pm

I noticed Cook spent a lot of time out away from the block in the mid range area, pretty deadly there. Rudy seems to be redefining Cook's role.

Bobbitt has been endorsed for a roster spot. Has Buss ever used that 15the spot? isnt there a penalty for that spot?

how do you like the 2-man game shown tonite?
Image <br>
trumpjelani

Postby Furious D on Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:42 pm

That game was awesome! I was there if you guys didnt know. I took some pics and I'll post them once I get them developed and scanned. What about our role players! Mihm took care of the post by rebounding and shotblocking. He even hit a J from 20 ft. Bobbitt and Jones each did their part in the second half. Caron and Grant just coming off of injuries played well. Sasha was amazing. You can tell he had more confidence tonight than last game. Two 3's in a row in the 3rd quarter that were part of that comeback. Brian Cook was the surprise of the night. He sure gained my respect. He did it all tonight even having his own fastbreak.

Well you guys saw the game so I'll tell you what happened in the Arena. It was a small but loud crowd. Rudy T was barking out orders from the sidelines. He argued with the refs and showed a lot of emotion. The bench was really supportive. They cheered after almost every basket. Brian Grant looked physically good. In warmup he was moving very good and hitting all his mid range shots. I cant say the same for Caron though. I could tell he was a little sluggish at the start. He kept talking to Gary Vitti and pointing at his upper leg. He had to get it iced before tipoff. Jones was the first guy to come out of the tunnel at halftime. He was out there alone working on his jumpshot. Tierre Brown sat out the whole game but he was still energetic about his teammates. The crowd got really quiet in the 2nd quarter when the Lakers blew their lead and fell behind. The 3rd quarter was a different story. Their comeback got the crowd back in it. It got really quiet again when Fisher was lying on the floor. Everyone was concerned. When he got we all gave him a standing ovation. Overall is was a really fun game to watch. I had fun and I wished you guys couldve been there to witness for yourself the first victory of the new Lakers era.
"That's where I want your jersey in about in about ten years." - Mitch Kupchak
Furious D
Good Call Stats Team

Postby BDG on Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:44 pm

Awesome Furious D! Can't wait to see the scanned pics!
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Frank White on Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:46 pm

Furious D wrote:That game was awesome! I was there if you guys didnt know. I took some pics and I'll post them once I get them developed and scanned. What about our role players! Mihm took care of the post by rebounding and shotblocking. He even hit a J from 20 ft. Bobbitt and Jones each did their part in the second half. Caron and Grant just coming off of injuries played well. Sasha was amazing. You can tell he had more confidence tonight than last game. Two 3's in a row in the 3rd quarter that were part of that comeback. Brian Cook was the surprise of the night. He sure gained my respect. He did it all tonight even having his own fastbreak.

Well you guys saw the game so I'll tell you what happened in the Arena. It was a small but loud crowd. Rudy T was barking out orders from the sidelines. He argued with the refs and showed a lot of emotion. The bench was really supportive. They cheered after almost every basket. Brian Grant looked physically good. In warmup he was moving very good and hitting all his mid range shots. I cant say the same for Caron though. I could tell he was a little sluggish at the start. He kept talking to Gary Vitti and pointing at his upper leg. He had to get it iced before tipoff. Jones was the first guy to come out of the tunnel at halftime. He was out there alone working on his jumpshot. Tierre Brown sat out the whole game but he was still energetic about his teammates. The crowd got really quiet in the 2nd quarter when the Lakers blew their lead and fell behind. The 3rd quarter was a different story. Their comeback got the crowd back in it. It got really quiet again when Fisher was lying on the floor. Everyone was concerned. When he got we all gave him a standing ovation. Overall is was a really fun game to watch. I had fun and I wished you guys couldve been there to witness for yourself the first victory of the new Lakers era.

Furious, thank you so much for that first hand account! Great stuff my man........."I wished you guys couldve been there to witness for yourself the first victory of the new Lakers era. :jam2:
Frank White
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Guest on Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:51 pm

yea Cook really surprised me as well...He's tall, can take people off the dribble, or hit a 20 footer from the top of the key...He may flourish in a new role and give us a quick athletic rebounder...Kind of strange how brown didnt play though?...Was it because he got so much time the other night and bobbit barely any?...

Postby Kasumi on Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:58 pm

Kobe Christ wrote:yea Cook really surprised me as well...He's tall, can take people off the dribble, or hit a 20 footer from the top of the key...He may flourish in a new role and give us a quick athletic rebounder

This is what I've been trying to tell people. There's a reason he's still around - he's going to be good.
ImageImage

"Basketball reasons" is as believable coming from Mitch Kupchak as it was coming from David Stern. #IWantedPhil
Kasumi

Postby Frank White on Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:12 pm

missmyzte wrote:
Kobe Christ wrote:yea Cook really surprised me as well...He's tall, can take people off the dribble, or hit a 20 footer from the top of the key...He may flourish in a new role and give us a quick athletic rebounder

This is what I've been trying to tell people. There's a reason he's still around - he's going to be good.

The kid is talented, I've noticed that he gets dogged on this site, why? :man3:
Frank White
Clublakers Moderator

Postby trumpjelani on Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:15 pm

Really doe.... He spent all last year in the post, which seems to be changing. he has always had the mid range shot.... To me, it was the rate of his development...remember the minor injuries.
Image <br>
trumpjelani

Postby Kasumi on Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:16 pm

Dre Naismith wrote:The kid is talented, I've noticed that he gets dogged on this site, why? :man3:

He's young and still makes a lot of mistakes. He needs to learn to play good D without reaching, needs to move his feet better so he doesn't foul so much. He didn't get to play much last year because he kept breaking his fingers but there's a reason he was a 1st round pick. He has a lot of talent and will be a solid role-player.
ImageImage

Kasumi

Postby Frank White on Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:18 pm

missmyzte wrote:
Dre Naismith wrote:The kid is talented, I've noticed that he gets dogged on this site, why? :man3:

He's young and still makes a lot of mistakes. He needs to learn to play good D without reaching, needs to move his feet better so he doesn't foul so much. He didn't get to play much last year because he kept breaking his fingers but there's a reason he was a 1st round pick. He has a lot of talent and will be a solid role-player.

Sure, but aren't those the attributes of your typical rookie? All I've seen from Brian is positive when you consider his upside, some here consider him a wretched Devean! :man3:
Frank White
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Kasumi on Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:23 pm

You're preaching to the choir! I think Brian is going to be great and I'm excited to see him on this team.
ImageImage

Kasumi

Postby leftymo on Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:47 pm

So far what I've seen from Cook doesn't lead me to believe he's going to be good.

But moreso b/c he doesn't fit what the Lakers need. An inside banging post presence with the ability to rebound.

Cook is talented in terms of skill level but he's more like Wayman Tisdale or Rodney Rogers types rather than a Kurt Thomas, Mark Madsen, Brian Grant type.

And LA could use a bigger/power PF rather than a finesse PF.

Cook just like most rookies have a lot of work to do, but thus far I'm not that impressed with Kupchak's ability to evaluate talent. We'll see how they develop (Rush, Cook, Walton, and Sasha)...

As of right now, both Cook & Rush have some work to do...
leftymo

Postby leftymo on Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:48 pm

One thing that neither Cook nor Rush need to do is improve their shooting. Both can shoot.

It's those "other" things that they're not so good at.
leftymo

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Gameday