Thursday, Jan. 13
7:00pm
TV: TNT
Radio: KLAC-AM 570/KWKW-AM 1330
Recap | Box Score | Photos

Lakers - 98
Cavaliers - 94

Bryant Goes Down; Lakers Endure Cavs
The Lakers survived without leading scorer Kobe Bryant Thursday, who went down in the first quarter with a right ankle injury, as they defeated the Cavs at home 98-94. In Bryant's absence, Lamar Odom had a strong overall game with 24 points, eight boards and seven assists. Caron Butler added 21 points and grabbed 11 boards.

Post all your comments here...
Last edited by Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:33 pm

I just found out my father and myself were invited to Skybox seating tonight. So I will be at the game munching down on some hotdogs and whatever else goodies are up there... :jam2:
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Real Deal on Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:57 pm

Image Image

Cleveland Cavaliers (21-12) @ Los Angeles Lakers (18-15)

Date: Thursday, January 13th
Time: 7:30 PM
TV: TNT

Previous Games:
Bobcats @ Cavs 100-98 OT (WIN)
Lakers @ Nuggets 95-83 (LOSS)

Projected Starting 5

(Coach Paul Silas)
ImageImageImageImageImage
C - Zyrundas Ilgauskas (16.5 PPG, 7.7 RPG, 1.6 APG)
PF - Drew Gooden (13.8 PPG, 10.0 RPG, 1.6 APG)
SF - LeBron James (24.4 PPG, 6.9 RPG, 7.2 APG)
SG - Ira Newble (5.9 PPG, 2.9 RPG, 1.0 APG)
PG - Jeff McInnis (15.3 PPG, 2.3 RPG, 5.6 APG)

VS

(Coach Rudy Tomjanovich)
ImageImageImageImageImage
C - Chris Mihm (10.9 PPG, 7.2 RPG, 0.7 APG)
PF - Lamar Odom (14.2 PPG, 10.5 RPG, 2.7 APG)
SF - Caron Butler (13.4 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 1.3 APG)
SG - Kobe Bryant (28.2 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 6.7 APG)
PG - Chucky Atkins (11.4 PPG, 2.7 RPG, 3.9 APG)

Who Dat?
ImageImage
CAVS - Anderson Varejao
Predicted Stats: 7 points, 5 rebounds, 0 assists

LAKERS - Tierre Brown
Predicted Stats: 8 points, 1 rebound, 3 assists

Who Got Game?

CAVS - LeBron James
Predicted Stats: 29 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists

LAKERS - Kobe Bryant
Predicted Stats: 30 points, 6 rebounds, 8 assists

Brandon's Analysis
The second best team in the Eastern Conference visits STAPLES tonight to take on the Los Angeles Lakers. In many people's eyes, this isn't Cavs vs. Lakers; it's more like, eh...LeBron vs. Kobe, maybe? I mean, who isn't awaiting this matchup? Kobe is stronger and more dominant than previous years, and LeBron is more experienced and playing better than 98% of the players in the league...as a second year player. This collision should be something to watch.

The Lakers are a great rebounding team...defensive boards, especially. How does that fare against the Cavs? Well, Cleveland's front court (Big Z, Gooden, and James) are all very good rebounders. Tonight, the Lakers will be lucky if they blow out the Cavs on the glass. Mihm had a 17-board game the other night, which is honestly surprising, since he's averaging a mediocre 7 a game (for our starting center). Odom is doing fantastic, so look for another 10+ night on the glass for him.

One thing the Lakers do not want to do is let LeBron work his magic early. What exactly do I mean? Driving and penetrating...dishing the ball out to everyone that's in a wine-colored jersey...pretty much dominating the ball, but with consistency. Caron may be on him most of the game...but you'll definitely see the LeBron/Kobe matchup tonight. The defender, whoever it may be, needs to force LeBron to his left and close the lane quickly, making him shoot a jumper in traffic. Do this...and then worry about his eyes and passing.

Odom and Gooden should be a good matchup, where Lamar needs to get physical and use his strength to manhandle Gooden in the post (is it possible?) and bring him out past the wing and drive to the hoop. Odom can do this...but it's a matter of attacking hard and not backing down that Lamar seems to have trouble with. If Odom can take advantage of Varejao when he's in the game, he may not have to attempt to pound into Drew Gooden after Varejao leaves the floor. Otherwise, it's going to be a long night for LO.

Atkins and Tierre...where's the D? McInnis isn't among the elite point guards in the NBA, but he will throw dimes all night long if Atkins/Tierre are caught sleeping on the defensive end. If the Atkins Diet scores over 15 in this game, you could see Snow out to defend him on the perimeter. If Chucky's wrist isn't hitting shots, expect 25+ threes from the Lakers.

Brandon's Prediction
This game should be fun to watch. It's not really hyped...at least not to my knowledge...but you can expect to see replays of it in your Top 10 on SportsCenter Thursday morning. The Cavs will get help from their bench in this game...especially from Varejao and Traylor, possibly Snow, but the Lakers should win this one at home, 95-91.
Real Deal

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:03 pm

The second best team in the Eastern Conference visits STAPLES tonight to take on the Los Angeles Lakers. In many people's eyes, this isn't Cavs vs. Lakers; it's more like, eh...LeBron vs. Kobe, maybe? I mean, who isn't awaiting this matchup? Kobe is stronger and more dominant than previous years, and LeBron is more experienced and playing better than 98% of the players in the league...as a second year player. This collision should be something to watch.

Damn straight... but you need to update it and explain that because of LD2k's aura and presence, it should be something interesting to watch. :man1:
LD2k.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Real Deal on Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:10 pm

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:

Damn straight... but you need to update it and explain that because of LD2k's aura and presence, it should be something interesting to watch. :man1:

Ah, I just read that. You're so lucky. :man5:
Real Deal

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:28 pm

Lakers vs. Cav's Official Preview:

LOS ANGELES (Ticker) -- LeBron James and Kobe Bryant light up the marquee Thursday night when the Cleveland Cavaliers visit the Los Angeles Lakers.

In just his second season, James has carried the Cavaliers to the top of the Central Division. He had 29 points, nine assists and eight rebounds Tuesday as Cleveland held on for a 100-98 overtime victory over the Charlotte Bobcats.

Playing at small forward, James has been outstanding on both ends of the court. He ranks in the top six in points (24.4), assists (7.2) and steals (2.3).

The win was the Cavs' sixth in their last seven games. The one loss during that stretch was a 98-87 defeat to the Houston Rockets on December 29 - when James left after taking an elbow to the face from Dikembe Mutombo.

Bryant, the superstar guard of the Lakers, is coming off one of his worst performances of the season. Playing in Colorado for the first time since sexual assault charges were dropped against him, Bryant scored just 16 points on 5-of-14 shooting in a 95-83 loss to the Denver Nuggets on Wednesday.

Bryant still ranks among the league leaders with a 28.2 scoring average and is also averaging 6.6 assists per game.

The Lakers won both meetings last season, although Bryant and James have yet to go head-to-head for a full four quarters. Byrant sufferred a shoulder injury in the second quarter of the first matchup on January 12, 2004, and was on the injured list when the teams played in Cleveland on February 4.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby LakRfAn on Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:32 pm

This will be a totally different Lakers team than what we saw in Denver.

I don't know who will win, but the Lakers definitely need this one more
LakRfAn
Resident Hoops Junkie

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:50 pm

Username @ LG.net wrote:Today on "The Big Show" on ESPN 710 they were talking about the game last night. Ireland, who is usually able to listen in on the huddles as the sideline reporter said Rudy is in love with the 3 and encourages players to shoot 3's, but says "Try to attack the basket sometimes"

:scurred:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby UCLAbadfish on Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:12 pm

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:I just found out my father and myself were invited to Skybox seating tonight. So I will be at the game munching down on some hotdogs and whatever else goodies are up there... :jam2:

man you are so lucky. I tried from day one to get tix for this game but no luck.
UCLAbadfish

Postby S.R.05 on Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:13 pm

Username @ LG.net wrote:Today on "The Big Show" on ESPN 710 they were talking about the game last night. Ireland, who is usually able to listen in on the huddles as the sideline reporter said Rudy is in love with the 3 and encourages players to shoot 3's, but says "Try to attack the basket sometimes"

if thats the case we may be in more trouble than we thought
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:17 pm

UCLAbadfish wrote:
Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:I just found out my father and myself were invited to Skybox seating tonight. So I will be at the game munching down on some hotdogs and whatever else goodies are up there... :jam2:

man you are so lucky. I tried from day one to get tix for this game but no luck.

Yeah I'm really pumped right now. Completely unexpected by my connections.

I was at school registering for next semester and doing crap with that all day, and when I got back I got the call. Very cool!
LD2k.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:17 pm

Showtime.Revival.05 wrote:

if thats the case we may be in more trouble than we thought

Scary isn't it?
LD2k.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby JSM on Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:40 pm

What can we expect to see?

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:46 pm

I have no problem putting LeBron in the MVP race. Right behind ol' Crazy Eight, that is.

- Ric Bucher
:bspn: The Magazine
LD2k.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby RenePerezz on Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:57 pm

I have no problem putting LeBron in the MVP race. Right behind ol' Crazy Eight, that is.

- Ric Bucher

did Ric really say that? if so :jam2:
RenePerezz

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:58 pm

RenePerezz wrote:

- Ric Bucher

did Ric really say that? if so :jam2:

Yeah he did. There's a really interesting article on tonight's matchup: http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/columns/st ... id=1965957
LD2k.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Guest on Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:05 pm

lebron should school kobe easily(anti-jinx)

Postby Cleansed on Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:16 pm

:bang: :bang:
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby Kb8theGreat on Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:17 pm

kingprince22 wrote:lebron should school kobe easily(anti-jinx)
:man10: anti-jinx
Kobe is the Future of our franchise no matter if you like it or not.
Kb8theGreat

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:21 pm

Well I'm off to go to the game. I'll be back after or tommorow morning to update Gameday, go Lakers and why I'm munching down on chips and dips, hotdogs, and cookies, I'll be thinking of all of you. :man10:

Let's do dis!
LD2k.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kb8theGreat on Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:22 pm

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:Well I'm off to go to the game. I'll be back after or tommorow morning to update Gameday, go Lakers and why I'm munching down on chips and dips, hotdogs, and cookies, I'll be thinking of all of you. :man10:

Let's do dis!
hey do you get to watch or do you work during the game?
Kobe is the Future of our franchise no matter if you like it or not.
Kb8theGreat

Postby RenePerezz on Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:41 pm

see ya LD2k, maybe we'll see you on tv.

:man12:
RenePerezz

Postby Cleansed on Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:45 pm

NM...im an hour early.

Guess im a bit...excited :man1:
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby KB24Gold on Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:57 pm

Suntzu wrote:NM...im an hour early.

Guess im a bit...excited :man1:

Wish I could say the same for myself. I'm so emotionally out of it :man5:.Maybe tonights game will give me an uplift.
Money makes life easier, but it does not bring happiness.
KB24Gold
The Rebirth

Postby ragecorps on Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:58 pm

no FSN? :man2:
ragecorps

Next

Return to Lakers Gameday