Thur. 3/17 @ Heat - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby KB24Gold on Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:31 pm

hopefully a good thing.
Money makes life easier, but it does not bring happiness.
KB24Gold
The Rebirth

Postby dynasty4kobe on Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:40 pm

So who get's the loudest cheer tomorrow?

Lamar, Caron, or Grant?

"Then when we do get back on top, [bandwagoners] are going to want to jump back on and we're going to tell them there's no more room."
-Kobe Bryant, March 28, 2005, 32-37

"I Survived 2005" Club
dynasty4kobe, DarthRekal, In The Key
dynasty4kobe

Postby Kobe#1fan on Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:17 am

I think lamar will get the most but it will probably be the same

Remember the lakers lost by two on christmas day and butler did not play
maybe an advantage

maybe we will beat fat :fatshaq:
Kobe#1fan

Postby CLICKCLICK on Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:43 am

Here's how the Lakers win this.

Kobe guards Wade, Chris Mihm/Brian Grant guard Shaq.

Kobe needs to play lock-down defense on Wade, the same defense he played against Michael Redd.

Chris Mihm need to stay out of foul trouble, let Shaq have his points. AND DON'T DOUBLE HIM, Shaq can score 50+ points, as long as everyone stay on their men, we'll be fine.

Odom also needs to stay out of foul trouble. We cannot have a bad shooting night from Caron, Odom needs to take a lot of shots, and the bench must step up.

This is the key to winning this game.

Now, I think we will come out in this game aggressive playing strong defense, but the refs will start calling dumb fouls, and all of the sudden you have Cook and Slava in the game. If that happens Kobe needs to catch fire, and find Atkins and Jumaine for open jumpers.

Lakers win.
CLICKCLICK

Postby JSM on Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:12 am

Kobe, Shaq ready for rematch

They've been there and done that, thanks to a Christmas Day game everybody watched and nobody will forget. The NBA schedule now calls for Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant to get together for a second act tonight.

The only difference as Bryant and O'Neal meet on opposite sides for the second time (third if you count February's All-Star Game) since last summer's Lakers breakup is location, and for that you need to stand on Biscayne Boulevard to get a good look.

From the ticket windows to the roof on one side of American Airlines Arena hangs the image of O'Neal under the words "Daddy's Home,' rendering the franchise center so much larger than life that alligators in the Everglades might be able to size him up.

Whether he shakes Bryant's hand before tip-off, whether Miami hands the Lakers their third consecutive loss tonight, O'Neal already has come out ahead by almost any measure against his former teammate.

After winning its 10th consecutive game Tuesday night, O'Neal's team became the first in the NBA to clinch a playoff berth. The Heat is in position to win its first championship since entering the league 16 years ago, and attendance is up by more than 30 percent.

Bryant, meanwhile, has found the going tougher than expected. The Lakers entered Wednesday with a 32-31 record and trailing the Denver Nuggets by a half-game for the Western Conference's eighth and final playoff spot.

If the Lakers can't figure themselves out over the next month, they could end up out of the playoffs for the first time since 1994. The ultimate indignity would come if the draft lottery took place during halftime of a Heat playoff game featuring O'Neal.

"It's just a matter of how to get it done,' Bryant said. "We're a young team. We've been inconsistent all year long. We put in a new system in the middle of the season. Guys are still trying to grasp it. Some nights we look great at it, other nights we look terrible at it.

"It's just a matter of us kind of feeling our way through it, trying to get that consistent rhythm where we're playing good basketball with 19 games left. Hopefully, we can do it pretty quickly.'

Both teams took the day off Wednesday after playing games on back-to-back nights. That didn't stop O'Neal from getting in one last dig at Bryant as he appeared during the day at a news conference put on by Wheaties.

O'Neal, in keeping with the theme, was asked if he ate his Wheaties and Bryant ate his Wheaties, who would come out ahead tonight.

"I'm not familiar with that other name used,' said O'Neal, who did not shake hands with Bryant before tip-off at the All-Star Game.

For his part, Bryant said of facing O'Neal: "I really don't have that much to say about it. It's nothing to me. I don't really care about that situation over there. I don't really care what they say or what he may say. I really don't care.

"What I have to focus on is making sure that we believe in ourselves and we try to fight as much as possible to get into the playoffs. All that other stuff that goes on is irrelevant.'

The first time Bryant and O'Neal played, the Heat won in overtime, 104-102, at Staples Center. O'Neal fouled out, but wound up with the last laugh. Bryant scored 42 points and took 30 shots, but he also missed a 3-pointer that could have won the game.

It turned out to be the NBA's highest-rated, regular-season broadcast in almost seven years. Tonight's game will compete against the opening day of the NCAA Tournament and could be overshadowed by congressional hearings into steroid use in baseball.

The Lakers are coming off back- to-back losses to Washington and Philadelphia, and were outplayed in both games. Interim coach Frank Hamblen was asked Tuesday about heading to Miami and said, "It doesn't bode well for us, does it?'

"We're just not playing the right way right now,' added Lamar Odom, one of three former Heat players acquired in the O'Neal trade in July. "Offensively, defensively, we've got to clean everything up. The Miami game will be a good game to do that.

"No team is unbeatable. This would be a good time to get down there and shock everybody and get one before we go to Indiana. If not, then just playing the right way, it's important.'

O'Neal said Tuesday in New York that he was getting the same feeling about the Heat as he did with the 2000-01 Lakers, who went 15-1 in the playoffs on their way to capturing a second consecutive championship.

"I enjoy the fact that I'm playing with a bunch of guys that play the game the way it's supposed to be played,' O'Neal added earlier this week. "This is the first time where I could say I've been on a good team where everybody was on the same page.'

The plans already are being laid for O'Neal to opt out of the last year of his contract this summer, then sign a four-extension extension with the Heat. That would keep him in South Florida through the 2008-09 season.

O'Neal's agent, Perry Rogers, told the Miami Herald: "There is an absolute love affair between Miami and Shaq. Why would (he) not want to finish his career here?'

Bryant and the Lakers will learn the depth of that feeling tonight, in what could be as close to a playoff game as they come.

"I've got five beautiful children, a wife, I'm living a great life,' O'Neal said. "I live on the water. If you had that view ... nothing left to complain about.'
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby MarkMadsen on Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:52 am

Kobe#1fan wrote:I think lamar will get the most but it will probably be the same

Remember the lakers lost by two on christmas day and butler did not play
maybe an advantage

maybe we will beat fat :fatshaq:

more like a disadvantage. Id rather have JJ starting.
MarkMadsen

Postby A-Rob on Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:14 am

Lakers will win this one. I have a hard time to believe that Kobe would allow two straight losses against Shaq.
A-Rob

Postby MarkMadsen on Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:41 am

I have a hard time believing kobe would let his team fall out of the playoffs but hey its happening!
MarkMadsen

Postby (¯`·.->:.ICED T.:< on Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:06 am

MarkMadsen wrote:I have a hard time believing kobe would let his team fall out of the playoffs but hey its happening!

what are you talking about? he is trying, so give the support he needs :disagree:
(¯`·.->:.ICED T.:<

Postby hype on Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:45 am

GO LAKERS :jam2:
hype

Postby Lakers1 on Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:44 am

we lost to the heat when they awer playing much beter by 2 in overtime without caron butler.we will win this game by 4
okay wrote:I would throw Shaq in the fire as well. Maybe he could burn a calorie or two.

VerbalMilk wrote:
What would it take to get Joe Johnson?

Jesus.
Lakers1

Postby slammajamma on Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:51 am

Go Lakers! Let's win this game...and i'm satisfied with the rest of the season, even if we don't make the playoffs.
slammajamma

Postby purple_and_gold_fever on Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:21 am

go lakers!!!! :jam2: :jam2:
purple_and_gold_fever

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:40 am

purple_and_gold_fever wrote:go lakers!!!! :jam2: :jam2:

show shaq who is boss! jk

Postby I Support #8 on Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:40 am

CLICKCLICK wrote:Here's how the Lakers win this.

Kobe guards Wade, Chris Mihm/Brian Grant guard Shaq.

Kobe needs to play lock-down defense on Wade, the same defense he played against Michael Redd.

Chris Mihm need to stay out of foul trouble, let Shaq have his points. AND DON'T DOUBLE HIM, Shaq can score 50+ points, as long as everyone stay on their men, we'll be fine.

Odom also needs to stay out of foul trouble. We cannot have a bad shooting night from Caron, Odom needs to take a lot of shots, and the bench must step up.

This is the key to winning this game.

Now, I think we will come out in this game aggressive playing strong defense, but the refs will start calling dumb fouls, and all of the sudden you have Cook and Slava in the game. If that happens Kobe needs to catch fire, and find Atkins and Jumaine for open jumpers.

Lakers win.

I agree completely!! :jam2:

Now for my two cents:

Being the Laker fan that I am, I can not count my boys out like that. Remember guys, this is the same team that took the same Miami Heat team to OT and lost by only 2 on Christmas Day! No matter how lackluster we've been in the past two or so games, the guys in the jerseys are still the same, and we even have an added starter named Caron Butler who was absent from the last meeting as someone mentioned earlier.

I look at it as being the same way that other teams got extra motivation and extra drive when coming to play against the LA Lakers starring Kobe and Shaq and light us up in previous years, of all the teams in the NBA today, this is the opponent to light that fire under our current team! We know the story with Kobe and Shaq, Grant and Odom will be looking to prove something as well, just for the simple fact that just last year, they were in Miami Heat jerseys heading for the playoffs and now, they need this W badly to make it in with a new team. Butler, missed out on the fun on Christmas so hopefully he'll have extra drive and heart for this meeting.

On the flip side, how ironic is it that Shaq would have somewhat the chance to put the final nail in our playoff hopes and you know he would love nothing more than to win this game and then gloat about he was the one to end the playoff dreams of Kobe and the Lakers.

With all that said, I don't see the Lakers letting this one get away from them. The Wizards and Philly games are all a thing of a past now and they've had a day of rest to look at themselves in the mirror and get ready for this game. I do think that we will see more of Kobe on Wade this time around, as they didn't do much of that in the last meeting and it'll really help out Atkins as well. Stay out of early foul trouble, and as CLICKCLICK said, let Shaq get his. Just like the Pistons theory, Shaq will not beat us alone!

Thus in conclusion of this long term paper, I see the game being very close and competitive just like the Christmas game. Could possibly even see another overtime. But in the end, I have no doubt in my mind, that the Lakers will be victorious by less than 5 points and that Shaq will foul out once again.

See you guys at tip-off!! GO LA!!!!!!!!! :jam2: :jam2:
"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
I Support #8

Postby Real Deal on Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:42 am

Kobe: "Two meetings."

Real Deal

Postby Real Deal on Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:42 am

Image Image

@

Los Angeles Lakers (32-31, 11-19 on the road, currently out of the playoffs)
Miami Heat (50-16, 28-5 at home, currently 1st seed in the East)

Date: Thursday, March 17th
Time: 5:00 PM
TV: TNT

Previous Games
Lakers @ Sixers 108-91 (LOSS) Kobe - 20 pts, 3 reb, 2 ast
Heat @ Knicks 98-96 (WIN) Wade - 24 pts, 3 reb, 5 ast, game winner

Previous Meetings
  • 12/25/2004 - Heat 104, Lakers 102 (OT)
    Shaquille O'Neal received the loudest ovation before the game. Kobe Bryant came up short in his bid to earn the final cheers. Bryant scored a season-high 42 points but missed a potential game-winning 3-pointer at the buzzer in overtime as the Los Angeles Lakers fell to the Miami Heat, 104-102, in a highly anticipated reunion with former teammate O'Neal. Shaq, who was greeted with a standing ovation during pregame introductions, collected 24 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks in his first game against the Lakers -- whom he helped lead to three NBA titles and last season's Finals -- since being traded in the offseason.

Coach Frank Hamblen
ImageImageImageImageImage
C - Chris Mihm (10.0 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 0.6 APG in 25.0 MPG)
PF - Lamar Odom (15.4 PPG, 10.3 RPG, 3.7 APG in 36.4 MPG)
SF - Caron Butler (14.0 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 1.6 APG in 34.5 MPG)
SG - Kobe Bryant (28.2 PPG, 6.0 RPG, 6.3 APG in 41.9 MPG)
PG - Chucky Atkins (13.7 PPG, 2.5 RPG, 4.3 APG in 36.2 MPG)

Coach Stan Van Gundy
ImageImageImageImageImage
C - Shaquille O'Neal (22.5 PPG, 10.2 RPG, 2.9 APG in 34.2 MPG)
PF - Udonis Haslem (11.2 PPG, 9.1 RPG, 1.4 APG in 33.1 MPG)
SF - Eddie Jones (12.8 PPG, 5.1 RPG, 2.6 APG in 35.8 MPG)
SG - Dwyane "Flash" Wade (23.8 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 7.0 APG in 38.7 MPG)
PG - Damon Jones (11.6 PPG, 2.8 RPG, 4.3 APG in 31.5 MPG)

ImageImage

Jumaine Jones
Season Stats: 7.2 PPG, 5.1 RPG, 0.8 APG in 23.3 MPG
Predicted Stats: 12 points, 4 rebounds, 0 assists

Keyon Dooling
Season Stats: 4.7 PPG, 1.2 RPG, 1.8 APG in 15.1 MPG
Predicted Stats: 10 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists

ImageImage

Kobe Bryant
Predicted Stats: 36 points on 48% shooting, 7 rebounds, 5 assists

Shaquille O'Neal
Predicted Stats: 30 points on 52% shooting, 8 rebounds, 3 assists

Well...here comes Round 2, Lakers vs. Heat...and what a coincidence...it's on a holiday. Don't worry about pinching a sports reporter today; they have enough green already...in their pockets, thanks to many stories based on this game, as well as the Christmas meeting. Did you ever get to read what your kid's teacher wrote on his essay test? No...but you sure did hear what Shaq had to say about Kobe a few weeks ago. You know what Kobe said about O'Neal a while back, also.

But let's get to the point. What does this game mean to both teams? According to O'Neal, nothing. To the Lakers, this game is huge. Very huge. If you haven't checked out our last 10 games, we've won four of them, which translates into "draft lottery" for Los Angeles, because the month of April is...well...bad. A win against Miami tonight will give the Lakers more of a push, a confidence boost, to ride on for a while until the month ends. A loss not only hurts the team, but also the fans...and I don't think Kobe and Co. want to finish off this road trip and go back home to fans that a) are still living in the Shaq era, or b) wish that the Lakers would just tank the season for a lottery pick.

If that was no indication of how important this game is, well here's another: Shaq and Kobe despise each other. Our very own Corvette is on the road with no passengers, and if nobody wants to step up and take the driver's seat, we'll see Kobe vs. the entire roster all by himself, and NOBODY can beat the Miami Heat by themselves. If Kobe performs terribly, it gives us a loss. If Odom plays badly, we lose. If Atkins and Butler shoot a combined 20%...yeah, you know...we lose. The point is that Los Angeles needs to be firing from all cylinders to win this one in Miami, because the Heat are on a roll...with a 10 game win streak and a nasty home record.

Against Miami, the Lakers will have an advantage on the defensive glass, but I'm not going to pinpoint what can happen when the Heat start crashing the boards offensively, since Mihm has been a little lazy since...November. I'm sure we'll see Brian Grant in for 30 minutes, because I doubt Mihm will last 10 without picking up three fouls with Shaq in the paint. We'll need Jumaine Jones to work his magic pulling down rebounds, as well as Odom's typical 10 a game and Kobe's six...we may be fine.

So...what is the Lakers' strategy in this game? Offensively, I don't know if they are going with the slice and horn plays or what, but in the last few games, the players look lost. Defensively, ha. You're talking about one of the worst defenses in the West right now. I truly believe Hamblen tells them to just go out and don't let the other team score...which is the wrong thing to say in the first place, but probably the only way he can tell Caron to play defense without losing his man.

We all know Kobe and Shaq will put up big numbers, but what about everyone else? Keyon Dooling will more than likely come in and drop a few over Mihm, after blazing by Tierrible Brown's hard-nosed defense. If Alonzo could, he would play 15 minutes in this game and score 10 and 6 boards, but you may not see him out there until the late 2nd and late 4th quarters. Jumaine will see alot of minutes; I'm getting out my Caron Voodoo Doll (made after the Wizards game) just so Hamblen can see that he's hurting in the first quarter...and maybe we'll see more of Luke Walton as well.

Biased...the Lakers win by a bucket. Realistically, they get stomped in this game. If Caron plays significant minutes, I don't like our chances, because Eddie Jones will be reigning threes on him all day, just another shooter for Shaq to dish to after drawing Mihm, Odom and Chucky Atkins to defend him in the paint (nice job, Chuck). The Heat win this game at home, 103-92 (and that's being generous).
Real Deal

Postby UGOTOWN3D on Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:00 pm

/\ ouch!!!!!!! Image
UGOTOWN3D

Postby Szak on Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:40 pm

LAMonstar23 wrote:4) Kobe dunks on shaq

Is it some kind of a complex?
Szak

Postby kobe6962 on Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:54 pm

Szak wrote:
LAMonstar23 wrote:4) Kobe dunks on shaq

Is it some kind of a complex?

Why not worry about winning the game. Seems all everyone cares about is if Kobe dunks on Shaq. I think it is a complex
Officially done with ClubLakers. Its too much of a freaking circus for my taste. I wont ever be back and all of you can shove it.

No matter how many times a certain person sends me a message I am done so keep begging I am not coming back you know who you are!
kobe6962

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:23 pm

[quote="realdealbneal] The Heat win this game at home, 103-92 (and that's being generous).[/quote]

NOOOO, BE POSITIVE

Postby Shaq Fan on Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:05 pm

LETS GO HEAT!! :jam2:

props to hoopskillz, OTK, Eyecue and DA.....
Shaq Fan

Postby Shaq Fan on Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:08 pm

Lakers1 wrote:we lost to the heat when they awer playing much beter by 2 in overtime without caron butler.we will win this game by 4

I don't think so....we are playing better than we were then

props to hoopskillz, OTK, Eyecue and DA.....
Shaq Fan

Postby purple_and_gold_fever on Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:48 pm

lets go lakers!!!!! :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :ball1: :pd: :fatshaq: :smash: :smash:
purple_and_gold_fever

Postby Kob3eight on Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:50 pm

I can't believe some of you actually think Lakers will win tonight. LOL :man10:

NO way are we going to win. We will be lucky not to be blown out tonight.
Kob3eight
Resident Monkey

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Gameday