Thursday, Mar. 10
6:30pm
TV: TNT, KCAL
Radio: KLAC-AM 570/KWKW-AM 1330
Recap | Box Score | Photos

Lakers - 100
Mavs - 95

Road Trip Starts With Big Victory
Kobe Bryant recorded 12 of his game-high 36 points in the fourth quarter Thursday, including back-to-back buckets in the final two minutes that cemented a 100-95 Lakers victory at Dallas. Bryant, who finished 14-of-22 from the field, and the Lakers also got a big boost from Lamar Odom's 15 points, 14 rebounds and seven assists. Los Angeles will try to build on the momentum Saturday in Charlotte, the second stop of a crucial six-game road trip.

Post all your comments here...
Last edited by Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby MarkMadsen on Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:39 am

good news! Kobe gets to rest in the 4th while they get blown out in the first 3 quarters.

Nowitzki and Finley are expected to return Thursday night for a home game against the Los Angeles Lakers. Stackhouse is expected to be placed on the injured list.
MarkMadsen

Postby shoe on Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:42 am

ouch this is gonna hurt

Mavs 127-96

We still get our 95 plus points and Kobe gets his 30, but another loss...i dont see how we can possibly win this. We dont play defense already and now have to play one of the best scoring teams in teh league. It doesnt work that way.
shoe

Postby kobe6962 on Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:43 am

If the Lakers cant beat the Clippers they wont beat the Mavs.
kobe6962

Postby Guest on Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:43 am

DID YOU KNOW
that the lakers are 4-4 when kobe scores 40+ points in a game

Postby JSM on Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:43 am

Mavs Injury Report

Dampier: Foot - I-L. Might return in mid-March. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports Erick Dampier is still at least a week from returning. He doesn't expect a long transition period once he returns. "Practice will get me in rhythm," he said. "Hopefully, I'll pick up where I left off."

Pavel: Knee - I-L. The Mavericks placed Pavel Podkolzin back on the injured list on, due to torn cartilage in his right knee.

Dirk: Knee - Questionable for March 10 vs. L.A. Lakers. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports Dirk Nowitzki received his MRI results back late Monday and has been diagnosed with a bruised left knee and could be back in action Thursday against the Los Angeles Lakers. "I'm feeling better, and the swelling went down," Nowitzki said. "I'm hopeful for Thursday."

Stack: Groin - Out indefinitely. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports Jerry Stackhouse re-injured his right groin and could be out for an extended stretch. Stackhouse had returned Wednesday after a seven-game absence. Coach Don Nelson and owner Mark Cuban, among others, told Stackhouse to take all the time he needs. "It's a matter of waiting until I'm feeling better, and then take some more time," Stackhouse said. "The strength of this team is our depth.".

Wahad: Knee - I-L.

Finley: Calf - Questionable for March 10 vs. L.A. Lakers. Michael Finley (calf) missed his second straight game on Monday against the Raptors.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby dynasty4kobe on Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:47 am

kobe6962 wrote:If the Lakers cant beat the Clippers they wont beat the Mavs.

If the Clippers can beat the Mavs, then the Lakers can beat the Mavs.

"Then when we do get back on top, [bandwagoners] are going to want to jump back on and we're going to tell them there's no more room."
-Kobe Bryant, March 28, 2005, 32-37

"I Survived 2005" Club
dynasty4kobe, DarthRekal, In The Key
dynasty4kobe

Postby kobe6962 on Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:50 am

dynasty4kobe wrote:
kobe6962 wrote:If the Lakers cant beat the Clippers they wont beat the Mavs.

If the Clippers can beat the Mavs, then the Lakers can beat the Mavs.

On the road when the Lakers are 9-17. I dont think so.
kobe6962

Postby Guest on Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:51 am

DID YOU KNOW
that I only saw the lakers win twice this season(i can only watch around 19 games in 1 season) and the record is 2-15(vs. nugs and warriors) :bang: :bang: :bang:

Postby shoe on Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:52 am

you should stop watching ^^^ lol
shoe

Postby kobe6962 on Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:53 am

kingprince22 wrote:DID YOU KNOW
that I only saw the lakers win twice this season(i can only watch around 19 games in 1 season) and the record is 2-15(vs. nugs and warriors) :bang: :bang: :bang:

WOW!
kobe6962

Postby Little_Duck on Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:54 am

The loss over the Clippers is what is making people change their minds.

If there was no Clipper game, and we went straight from the last Dallas game ot Indiana and then to Dallas again, people would have said "No problem" in beating them again.

Seriously.They don't have half their roster. So long as the defense is there, like the previous 2 games (before the Clippers game) there should be no problem.
Little_Duck

Postby hZm on Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:05 am

shoe wrote:ouch this is gonna hurt

Mavs 127-96

We still get our 95 plus points and Kobe gets his 30, but another loss...i dont see how we can possibly win this. We dont play defense already and now have to play one of the best scoring teams in teh league. It doesnt work that way.

Yeah, I agree with that final score.
hZm

Postby shoe on Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:06 am

it could get even worse :man4:
shoe

Postby Guest on Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:07 am

Little_Duck wrote:The loss over the Clippers is what is making people change their minds.

If there was no Clipper game, and we went straight from the last Dallas game ot Indiana and then to Dallas again, people would have said "No problem" in beating them again.

Seriously.They don't have half their roster. So long as the defense is there, like the previous 2 games (before the Clippers game) there should be no problem.

:bow: the lakers were just overconfident playing the game against the clippers.....

Postby BDG on Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:24 am

I think Kobe is going to win this game. Do you guys know who Kobe plays next?

I think Kobe has a good shot at acquiring some good FA's next year if Kobe doesn't make the playoffs.

Oh I'm sorry, I meant the Lakers.

:bang:
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby kobe6962 on Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:26 am

BryantDunkGiant wrote:I think Kobe is going to win this game. Do you guys know who Kobe plays next?

I think Kobe has a good shot at acquiring some good FA's next year if Kobe doesn't make the playoffs.

Oh I'm sorry, I meant the Lakers.

:bang:

Yeah Kobe might have a shot at winning this game. Will the other guys show up might as well be a one man show. Like the old Bulls
kobe6962

Postby Guest on Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:28 am

Los Angeles Kobes

Postby theclown1 on Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:33 am

Its against the Mavs
Its a away game. There isnt much to say. Its a lost game already.
theclown1

Postby kobe6962 on Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:39 am

theclown1 wrote:Its against the Mavs
Its a away game. There isnt much to say. Its a lost game already.

Sad but true 9-17 on the road. Lakers are worse on the road then they are at home.
kobe6962

Postby Real Deal on Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:09 am

Image Image

@

Los Angeles Lakers (30-29, 9-17 on the road, currently out of the playoffs)
Dallas Mavericks (39-20, 20-10 at home, currently 4th seed in the West)

Date: Thursday, March 10th
Time: 6:30 PM (LA), 8:30 PM (Dallas)
TV: TNT

Previous Games
Clippers @ Lakers 110-101 (LOSS) Bryant - 41 pts, 5 reb, 3 ast
Raptors @ Mavs 113-105 (WIN) Daniels - 32 pts, 4 reb, 4 ast

Previous Meetings
  • 3/4/2005 - Mavericks 103, Lakers 108
    Kobe Bryant notched an astounding 40 points, 8 rebounds and 6 assists, carrying the Lakers to a much-needed victory over the Mavericks in Los Angeles. Despite shooting a horrific 1-18 from beyond the arc, the Lakers shot nearly 52% from the floor, compared to a below-average 39% from Dallas. Dirk Nowitzki led the charge for the Mavericks with 23 points and 13 rebounds.
  • 1/5/2005 - Lakers 104, Mavericks 118
    With only 8 players stepping out on the court, the Dallas Mavericks found 6 of those to hit double digits in scoring, as Nelson's squad handed Los Angeles a loss on the road. With twice as many threes attempted than the Mavs, who had 17 attempts, the Lakers' strategy to outscore Dallas failed, as Dirk and Co. ran the show...but the night belonged to Jason Terry, who shot a perfect 5-5 from downtown, 9-10 from the field, racking up 28 points, 6 boards and 5 assists in 32 minutes of play. Bryant was the high man for Los Angeles, with 32 points on an average night of 12-30 shooting.

Coach Frank Hamblen
ImageImageImageImageImage
C - Chris Mihm (10.1 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 0.6 APG in 24.9 MPG)
PF - Lamar Odom (15.7 PPG, 10.3 RPG, 3.6 APG in 36.6 MPG)
SF - Caron Butler (14.2 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 1.6 APG in 34.9 MPG)
SG - Kobe Bryant (28.4 PPG, 6.1 RPG, 6.4 APG in 42.0 MPG)
PG - Chucky Atkins (13.7 PPG, 2.6 RPG, 4.4 APG in 36.5 MPG)

Coach Don Nelson
ImageImageImageImageImage
C - Shawn Bradley (2.3 PPG, 2.2 RPG, 0.1 APG in 10.1 MPG)
PF - Dirk Nowitzki (26.9 PPG, 10.1 RPG, 3.1 APG in 39.7 MPG)
SF - Josh Howard (12.4 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 1.5 APG in 33.3 MPG)
SG - Michael Finley (17.6 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 2.7 APG in 38.9 MPG)
PG - Jason Terry (12.0 PPG, 2.4 RPG, 5.0 APG in 29.0 MPG)

ImageImage

Jumaine Jones
Season Stats: 7.0 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 0.8 APG in 23.5 MPG
Predicted Stats: 8 points, 5 rebounds, 0 assists

Marquis Daniels
Season Stats: 10.6 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 2.4 APG in 26.2 MPG
Predicted Stats: 12 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists

ImageImage

Kobe Bryant
Predicted Stats: 32 points on 45% shooting, 5 rebounds, 6 assists

Dirk Nowitzki
Predicted Stats: 28 points on 47% shooting, 9 rebounds, 3 assists

This game is the first of an important six game road trip for the Lakers, who are now finding themselves on the outside looking in on the Western Conference playoffs. So far, they have split the series with the Mavericks, but there are still two games to be played between the two teams, which should turn smiles into frowns for Laker fans spanning the globe. However, good things usually follow bad things...and for the Lakers, it involves a hot Denver team, who are 8-2 in their last 10. What's so special? Well, the Nuggets will have up until Saturday until they play the Spurs at home, giving the Lakers time to play "catch up" and also the possibility for the Nuggets to find out the hard way that the Spurs (and the next day, the Suns) are going to be tougher than expected.

I wouldn't call it a blessing in disguise, but the Mavericks aren't strolling through their schedule right now, either. Since their 6-game win streak in February that included the Suns, Kings (twice) and the Sonics, Dallas has lost 4 of their last 6 games. The injury bug has hit Dampier, Dirk, Finley, and even Devin Harris, but unfortunately for Los Angeles, Dirk and Finley will be in Dallas jerseys Thursday night. As far as how their injuries will affect their game, that remains to be seen.

Offensively, the Dallas Mavericks are the scoring machines of the West, finding their way in the top three in PPG (trailing Phoenix and Sacramento). If this is a disadvantage for any team, it's Los Angeles...who have one of the worst defenses in the NBA. In fact, when allowing over 100 points, the Lakers have lost 81% of the time, posting a 5-26 record. However, when holding teams to under 100, Los Angeles wins 89% of the time (25-3 record). If this isn't an indication that the Lakers' defense is no more than poor, I don't know what is.

A surprising fact for Laker fans: LA is leading the league in rebounding. The Lakers crash the boards with a hair over 44 a game, while the Mavs spot up at #4 in the league, with 43.3 rebounds a night. Unfortunately, this doesn't account for second chance points from the offensive glass, something Los Angeles can't seem to prevent this season. If Mihm's lack of toughness is exposed in Dallas, Nowitzki and Bradley could be Nelson's bottles of Windex.

Turnovers have been a tenacious problem for Hamblen this season, and it makes you wonder if Frank will ever get to the bottom of this. LA averages nearly 15 a night, while their opponents lose the ball 11 times a game. Not to put anymore stress on the squad, but when you throw 20 assists a game along with 15 turnovers, you'll find that the passing game is pretty much ineffective, and the more the ball is intercepted or stolen, the harder it is to get back on defense. This has been the Lakers' story this season, and I don't expect it to end with a happy ending so soon.

ISOs, the triangle, screen and rolls, whatever...the Lakers will need to find themselves on the court Thursday. Standing around with your arm in the air gets you nothing; it's a simple way to ruin ball distribution...and before you can distribute, you have to move. Playing off the ball will play a huge factor against the Mavs, and this means everyone from Odom to Atkins, and even Kobe himself. Proper screens will allow easier ball movement and open shots...and if the basketball gods are nice, they'll give Mihm the ability to score down low for once, because we all know that in the last game, Bradley was lost, and Mihm dropped 10 points in a limited 20 minutes (don't ask why he was pulled). Finding the open man and attacking the basket will give the Lakers a comfortable lead if they succeed in doing just that. If not, they'll find themselves trading shots with the Mavs...but the difference is, the Lakers' attempts will be contested. Translation: a loss.

The Mavericks may be running in full swing again, with their starting four back in the lineup (minus Dampier). I'm not sure how strong Nowitzki and Finley will be for Dallas, but I'm guessing they'll be near 100% (Lakers' luck). I really don't see Kobe and the Lakers picking up a win, but I could be wrong...we always seem to pull away with one when I predict a loss, so that's what I'm doing again (hey, check my sig). Dallas takes the lead in the first and runs off with it, only to see resistance from Kobe in the fourth...but Los Angeles never pulls ahead. Mavs by eight, 104-96.
Real Deal

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:27 am

GO LAKERS!win
KareemTheGreat33

Postby KB24 on Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:00 am

LA will win 115-111 :jam2:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Lakerfan36 on Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:17 am

Dallas wins 101-93
Future PS3 owners club: Lakerfan 36, lakaboy 42, Hitemup, scheven, KrazyIvan909, flipogb, LUUUKE, Kobe The Dagger, kobe4ever

http://www.break.com/index/snlnarnia.html
Lakerfan36

Postby ruffryder8 on Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:28 am

I take LA-95-88.
Ryde or Die

The Game wrote:[HAPPY NOW CL MODS] you, 50, Banks, Yayo, and the cops
And Olivia, I mean for a man she hot
ruffryder8

Next

Return to Lakers Gameday