Thur. 2/26 vs. Queens - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby lakerzrule on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:02 pm

That was quite a game! I'm not surprised it went down to the final possession. I give credit to Bibby and Peja for hitting their shots, but they were able to make them because the Lakers still suck at defending the pick-n-roll. I think the last-second foul on Kobe wasn't called because it was the last play of the game, not because Javie was the one closest to him, but he should have gotten the call anyways. Shaq was shut out of the final minutes because he couldn't hit a foul shot. A disappointing loss that puts the Kings six games ahead of us in the standings. :bang:
lakerzrule

Postby o0O kb8 O0o on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:02 pm

GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:lol it's so funny...once the laker game was over, the blame game starts.

as always
o0O kb8 O0o

Postby LARolePlayer on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:03 pm

Biggest mistake of the game was not calling that time-out... What a STUPID coaching decision...

Pick-n-roll is KILLING us... It's hard to believe that we still don't know how to defend it, even though we know that is exactly what the other team is going to run. Just frustrating :mad1: NO DEFENSE :mad1:
Role Players turn our team from being great to the GREATEST!!!
LARolePlayer

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:05 pm

Well my confidence in Lakers has dropped to 0%....they lost to Peja and Bibby, on home court.
GWHiZiTSPHiL
Clublakers Rep: Clippers

Postby o0O kb8 O0o on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:05 pm

LARolePlayer wrote:Biggest mistake of the game was not calling that time-out... What a STUPID coaching decision...

as i and jsm said

me:
calling a timeout also lets the team set their defense...with a player like kobe on our team....who can create the way he does...we dunt really need to call a timeout to make things happen on offense....he had the shot...he just missed it

jsm:
actually everyone, that was not a bad coaching decision. Phil thought we had some momentum, he didn't want to break that and call a timeout. I mean Kobe just nailed a 3, he thought he was still hot and thought he could make it. If he called a timeout, the defense would have adjusted and we might not have been able to get the ball inbounds. I don't think Rush was ready for another buzzer beater, so it was up to Kobe. Bad refereeing, good coaching, good shot, bad no call.
Last edited by o0O kb8 O0o on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
o0O kb8 O0o

No after-birth here...

Postby Poobah on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:05 pm

I rarely post here. I usually keep my complaining about Shaq to my off-line friends.

Why didn't he show up tonight? Did you see him in the All-Star game? He was on fire! I rarely, if ever, see that kind of effort during a regular Laker game.

And he says "pay me". For what? The kind of effort we saw tonight? Please!
Poobah

Postby o0O kb8 O0o on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:06 pm

aite guys...gota sleep to try to ferget the game...peace
o0O kb8 O0o

Re: No after-birth here...

Postby noxcel on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:06 pm

Poobah wrote:And he says "pay me". For what? The kind of effort we saw tonight? Please!

and last night.... :mad1:
noxcel

Postby lakerzrule on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:08 pm

I know emotions are running high right now, but let's stop sniping at each other. Maybe Phil should have called a timeout, but how do we know whether that would have changed the outcome? Some of the Lakers didn't play that great, but this was a back-to-back, and the game was still close, so don't go blaming the players either. This was a heartbreaker, but we need to move on and chalk up this loss to bad D and a missed call at the end of the game. If Kobe hadn't been fouled, I bet he would have made that shot and everyone would be happy right now.
lakerzrule

Postby BDG on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:11 pm

I'll tell you what-- this is why we lost:

1. It just wasn't our night. As stupid as that sounds, it just wasn't. I've never seen a player hit that many contested three pointers. Against the Kings, it's like they can't miss. Their weakness is defense, and tonight they just were very streaky on the offensive end.

2. We can't defend the pick and roll. Someone needs to teach us how to defend it. If there was no such thing as the pick and roll we would have blown the Kings out tonight. Every play Vlade would set picks and Shaq and Fisher/Payton wouldn't know how to handle it. The result was Bibby or Peja getting a three pointer.

3. Shaq needed the ball more. Shaq was having a great game offensively and he only got 12 shots. I don't know whether he wasn't getting good position or guys just weren't passing it to him, but he needed the rock. He was getting good looks when he took shots. Although he had a great game, I thought Kobe forced a couple of shots down the stretch and he seemed frustrated with his game in the 2nd half.

4 It was a back-to-back game We all looked tired out there, especially Shaq, after having played a tough game last night in Denver. It's tough having to adjust to the jet lag and all the troubles of travel in the NBA. We looked beat up and we got beat up.

The only games that truly count are the playoffs. We will get them then like we always do.

Malone will be back soon and we can make a run at getting that #1 slot for homecourt advantage.
Last edited by BDG on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Realm of Shadows on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:12 pm

lakerzrule wrote:I know emotions are running high right now, but let's stop sniping at each other. Maybe Phil should have called a timeout, but how do we know whether that would have changed the outcome? Some of the Lakers didn't play that great, but this was a back-to-back, and the game was still close, so don't go blaming the players either. This was a heartbreaker, but we need to move on and chalk up this loss to bad D and a missed call at the end of the game. If Kobe hadn't been fouled, I bet he would have made that shot and everyone would be happy right now.

I've only said that about 5 times, yea the D is horrible. Teams are running pick and roll, and if they don't they do when they play us.
What do you get when you fall in love? You only get lies and pain and sorrow.
I feel so much like giving up
Realm of Shadows
Proud Mestizo

Postby skillz08lakeshow on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:12 pm

Kings are a better team right now!!!!! Enough said... They showed it today. Lakers will stay make a run, one game will not end our season.
Fan since 1980!

WE LOVE LA... WE LOVE IT...
skillz08lakeshow

Postby Andrew Evenstar on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:12 pm

noxcel wrote:I want to thank Payton and Shaq for this loss. fu--n morons, they have 3 people out and we still can't win. DO NOT RESIGN PAYTON NEXT SEASON :mad1:

DO NOT RESIGN A FIRST BALLOT HALL OF FAMER ARE YOU ON METH!? HAHAHAH OMFG. but we should re sign slava right?
[The Will To Act] | [My Music Blog]

Born a Laker fan.
Andrew Evenstar

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:14 pm

Lakers are done. Kings / Timberwolves are going to win it all.
GWHiZiTSPHiL

Postby lakerzrule on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:14 pm

Well said, BDG! One loss (albeit a tough one) and some of you are ready to give up. :disagree: Have some faith, and remember what happened in 2002. :jam2:
lakerzrule

Postby BDG on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:15 pm

lakerzrule wrote:Well said, BDG! One loss (albeit a tough one) and some of you are ready to give up. :disagree: Have some faith, and remember what happened in 2002. :jam2:
Thank you-- I added another reason I forgot too. I'll repost here:

I'll tell you what-- this is why we lost:

1. It just wasn't our night. As stupid as that sounds, it just wasn't. I've never seen a player hit that many contested three pointers. Against the Kings, it's like they can't miss. Their weakness is defense, and tonight they just were very streaky on the offensive end.

2. We can't defend the pick and roll. Someone needs to teach us how to defend it. If there was no such thing as the pick and roll we would have blown the Kings out tonight. Every play Vlade would set picks and Shaq and Fisher/Payton wouldn't know how to handle it. The result was Bibby or Peja getting a three pointer.

3. Shaq needed the ball more. Shaq was having a great game offensively and he only got 12 shots. I don't know whether he wasn't getting good position or guys just weren't passing it to him, but he needed the rock. He was getting good looks when he took shots. Although he had a great game, I thought Kobe forced a couple of shots down the stretch and he seemed frustrated with his game in the 2nd half.

4 It was a back-to-back game We all looked tired out there, especially Shaq, after having played a tough game last night in Denver. It's tough having to adjust to the jet lag and all the troubles of travel in the NBA. We looked beat up and we got beat up.

The only games that truly count are the playoffs. We will get them then like we always do.

Malone will be back soon and we can make a run at getting that #1 slot for homecourt advantage.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby lakerzrule on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:16 pm

GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:Lakers are done. Kings / Timberwolves are going to win it all.

And how many games are left in the regular season? I guess not everyone can handle losing.
lakerzrule

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:18 pm

lakerzrule wrote:And how many games are left in the regular season? I guess not everyone can handle losing.

This was a home court game right? Ok so they lost in home court big deal...oh wait they were leading through out 80% of the game weren't they? Ok fine they messed up. Oh wait...aren't the Kings also missing Webber, Miller, and Bobby Jackson? Hmm...let's not forget that this was a must win game because of these reasons. Oh and to answer your question, only 26 which is like 30% of the season left.
Last edited by GWHiZiTSPHiL on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GWHiZiTSPHiL

Postby skillz08lakeshow on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:20 pm

SHAQ NEEDS THE BALL!!!! Shaq will open up his team mates when they double him. I still beleive in our team but dam they need to step up to the plate when we have big games like this.
Fan since 1980!

WE LOVE LA... WE LOVE IT...
skillz08lakeshow

Postby ZenMaster4President on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:21 pm

LARolePlayer wrote:Biggest mistake of the game was not calling that time-out... What a STUPID coaching decision...

Pick-n-roll is KILLING us... It's hard to believe that we still don't know how to defend it, even though we know that is exactly what the other team is going to run. Just frustrating :mad1: NO DEFENSE :mad1:

Stop the pick-n-roll balming - Jazz used it for 18 years and nobody could defend it with any efficiency - hell, Stockton got 50% of his assists ( and there are plenty of them ) on pick-n-roll.Its one of the hardest things to defend even with a mobile big men, and with Shaq its just impossible ( to any success ).
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby lakerzrule on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:21 pm

The Lakers led for much of the game, but the Kings kept it close, then made a run to take and keep the lead, then it was back and forth. This loss was by two points, which is pretty darn close. You can choose which team you want to support, I'm backing the Lakers all the way. Peace out.
lakerzrule

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:22 pm

Game shouldn't even have been close.
GWHiZiTSPHiL

Postby noxcel on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:23 pm

GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:
lakerzrule wrote:And how many games are left in the regular season? I guess not everyone can handle losing.

This was a home court game right? Ok so they lost in home court big deal...oh wait they were leading through out 80% of the game weren't they? Ok fine they messed up. Oh wait...aren't the Kings also missing Webber, Miller, and Bobby Jackson? Hmm...let's not forget that this was a must win game because of these reasons. Oh and to answer your question, only 26 which is like 30% of the season left.

I agree that this was a MUST WIN and we didn't win :mad1: Right now Kings and Timberwolves are much better teams than LA.

oh, "Kings also missing Webber, Miller, and Bobby Jackson", this also shows how bad lakers are right now.
noxcel

Postby BrianCook_The_Laker on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:23 pm

I know everyone is kinda mad at this loss but I wanted to ask your thought's on Brian's play tonight.. He looked good in the 3rd getting into the flow of things after a SLOW start.. Not a bad night..

Also, do you think Phil will go back to Slava starting vs Washington or stick with Brian?

:disagree:
BrianCook_The_Laker

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:24 pm

First off. If anybody is taking away credit from the Kings... don't. The Kings played unreal tonight and shot very effectively from the outside. There's a couple of things I need to explain.

1. The game came down to the end and who executed in the clutch. Tonight, not only did the the Kings execute, they hit their BIG shots as well. That's the difference between two great teams like these - who's going to hit the shots in the clutch.

2. Shaq should have touched the ball more in the last 5 minutes. We had too much Payton in the post, Kobe in the post, and too much outside play. I'm not saying we should have eliminated that type of play from our game, but we should have prioritized it and pounded the ball into Shaquille first.

3. Payton should have gone over the pick n' roll. He should have never gone down. Knowing him, that's probably the LAST time he will go under a pick for us...

4. The LD2k streak has ended, but the attitude hasn't. I'm very pleased with the way we played tonight. A few minor adjustments will be made come next time when we face Sac-Town.

The Bottom Line: Two injured teams, great players, great game. When it counted, Sac-Town made the big play. You can't take ANYTHING away from the Kings. They deserved the win. And, unfortunatly, the Lakers didn't goto Shaq AT ALL in the end. If they pass it into Shaq and allow him to dictate who gets the shots at the end, Lakers win. Simple as that. Great game, let's just leave it in the past, note our mistakes, and get ready for the Wizards on Sat.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Gameday