Thursday, Nov. 3
7:30pm
TV: TNT
Radio : XTRA 570/ESPN 1330
Recap | Box Score | Photos

Lakers - 112
Suns - 122

Lakers' Home Opener Slips Away
Kobe Bryant's 39 points and Lamar Odom's near-triple-double (23 points, 16 rebounds and eight assists) were not enough to carry the Lakers, who lost to the Suns 122-112 on Thursday. Bryant's torrid scoring almost brought Los Angeles back, but Phoenix pulled away late. The Lakers retake their home court on Sunday when the Denver Nuggets come to town.

Post all your comments here...
Last edited by Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby DMK on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:29 am

Its a back to back...

like to think we would fight.

But ive seen much NBA ... they will either take tonights game as a push....or they will be over tired and lose.

Cant wait.

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby KB24 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:39 am

Home opener should be a must win but usually teams that have an emotional night play with less intensity the back-to-back and considering we went to overtime it will be a dogfight but a home oepner is always special. I still say we win but even I know our team will be inconsistent. We need to cut down TOs and get a better front court production. We can´t expect Smush to always score 20.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby mulisha on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:42 am

To be honest, I think the Lakers will take this one pretty easily. They match up much better to this year's Suns than last year's.
mulisha

Postby Apexed on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:17 am

Suns are 0-1....not crazy to think they'll be 0-2
Apexed

Postby nameant on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:30 am

this win will depend on mihm and kwame. neither one really showed up tonight. chris mihm is notorious for playing terrible on the road and good at home. you know he'll want to bounce back. the suns dont have nearly the inside presence the nuggets have. i expect mihm and kwame to play well. as for kobe..this is what he spent the offseason doing. getting in shape. making himself quicker and able to run longer. i dont expect him to be visibly tired. we will win. yes, 2-0. :jam2:
nameant

Postby halekulani on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:55 am

suns 98- lakers 76
halekulani

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:16 am

It will be crazy in Staples tonight....it is 1:31 AM.

I feel all those bandwagon celebs that didn't show up last year....might be coming back. :man10:

Like I said before anything can happen. I hope we win. :jam2:

GO LAKERS!!!
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:18 am

halekulani wrote:suns 98- lakers 76

:man3: :man3: :man3: :man3:
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Real Deal on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:31 am

Image Image

Phoenix Suns (0-1)
Los Angeles Lakers (1-0)

Date: Thursday, November 3nd
Time: 7:30 PM
TV: TNT

Previous Games
Lakers @ Nuggets 99-97 OT (WIN)
Mavs @ Suns 111-108 2OT (LOSS)

Projected Starting Five

Coach Mike D'Antoni
ImageImageImageImageImage
C - Kurt Thomas
PF - Shawn Marion
SF - James Jones
SG - Raja Bell
PG - Steve Nash

Coach Phil Jackson
ImageImageImageImageImage
C - Chris Mihm
PF - Kwame Brown
SF - Lamar Odom
SG - Kobe Bryant
PG - Smush Parker

Who Dat?
ImageImage

Boris Diaw
Predicted Stats: 8 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists

Andrew Bynum
Predicted Stats: 6 points, 4 rebounds, 0 assists

Who Got Game?
ImageImage

Steve Nash
Predicted Stats: 24 points on 45% shooting, 3 rebounds, 14 assists

Kobe Bryant
Predicted Stats: 32 points on 47% shooting, 6 rebounds, 5 assists

Brandon's Analysis
The Phoenix Suns are coming off a loss to the Dallas Mavericks, while the Lakers clawed their way to a victory over the Denver Nuggets, two games driving past regulation to make for one heck of a show in the first two days of the regular season. The difference is one game was played last night, and the other the night before. Unfortunately for Phil and Kobe, they have the back-to-back. The good news? It's their first home game of the year. Mix in the fact that Amare won't be playing for quite some time, and the Lakers have a shot at winning this game versus last year's MVP and his partner in crime, the Matrix.

Unless Nash is speaking in Canadian, he will most definitely be calling the shots in Los Angeles tonight. It almost seems as if these two teams are similar, without Amare...both ran by MVP-caliber players, with versatile forwards as secondary scoring options...that is, if Odom wants to score. If the Lakers want to defeat these angry Suns, they're going to have to pound the ball inside and take advantage of Stoudemire's absence, and this means guard slashing, as well as our big men working the paint. Odom can have it fairly easy on offense tonight, especially if Marion has to hold Kwame most of the time, so look for Lamar to use his size advantage against James Jones to drive the lane and score on his own.

A true test for Los Angeles will be defending the perimeter. Jones, Jackson, Nash, Marion, Bell, Barbosa...these guys aren't shy to take a long-range jumper, or even a few beyond the arc, when they are left open, and this could give us trouble early in the game. This could be a great opportunity for Vujacic to work on his defense a bit more, because in his first appearance against the Nuggets, he didn't look so shabby. We all realize an "A" for effort gets us nowhere, but he's laying it all out there to prove that he belongs in purple and gold, something I can only respect.

Brandon's Prediction
Camby destroyed Mihm last night, and it looks as if Marion and Kurt Thomas will look to do the same to a worn and torn Chris Mihm tonight. Phil would be smart to play Bynum, who has a bigger frame to bang with Thomas, giving him some playing time and letting him do his own thing in the triangle. Otherwise, we've got a big kid who has no idea what his role is on this team.

The Lakers and Suns will fight for a win in this game as well. I don't see the Lakers' frontcourt doing much, once again, but Kobe and Smush can damage the Suns' backcourt defense (or lack of) and turn this game around for Los Angeles. If the Suns and Lakers agree to duel it out offensively, expect the Lakers to lose by 10 or more points. If they go at it defensively and make consistent stops throughout the game, taking their time offensively, then it's anyone's game.

Phil is angry, Kobe is all smiles, and Mihm is afraid he's already in the doghouse...they all stand out, and the Lakers beat the Suns, 101-96.
Real Deal

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:36 am

Great take real, I definetely agree with the offensive/defensive approach for this game. I think there's no questions we will make stops and play slightly better defense tonight. And after last night, our confidence should carry though in some momentum.

Also, Smush's nickname is now the truth. I will refer to him as this from now on. I am absolutely in love with this guy.
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:38 am

season opener....lakers are fired up....they are young...they shouldnt be tired....kobe should be fresh...Kwame and Mihm didnt play much last night....they shoudl be ablet o make somem noise against the suns weak front court...Odom will bounce back from his atrocious game....look for the lakers to dominate from start to finish
FabFourLakers

Postby kobe4ever on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:41 am

hooz going tomorrow ? cauz im going :man11: imma be seating in section 333.
Lakers record (2005~2008) when im at the staple center :
when i drink sprite : 12-3
when i drink coke : 2-6
kobe4ever

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:46 am

kobe4ever wrote:hooz going tomorrow ? cauz im going :man11: imma be seating in section 333.

I would be going, but I have class on Monday, Tuesday, & Thursday nights so I can't hit up any games on those nights. :man5:

Have fun man, it will be damn electric.
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:01 am

oh i know this game isnt til sunday, but i WILL be at the denver/LA game @STAPLES....im 2 rows behind courtside behind the basket...so you might be able to see me...

but anyway....man i was jus watchin theh replay of the lakers/nuggs game...and Kobe's block on camby was absolutely ridonkulous!!!!! how did that NOT make the top 10? maybe cuz andre miller got the put back....

i think this game is a big test for smush parker....he is facing the best point guard in the LEAGUE tommorow...keep nash under 30 nd ur straight!
FabFourLakers

Postby Real Deal on Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:03 am

FabFourLakers wrote:i think this game is a big test for smush parker....he is facing the best point guard in the LEAGUE tommorow...keep nash under 30 nd ur straight!

Don't know...Kobe may be assigned to defend Nash most of the game tonight.
Real Deal

Postby kwamejoke on Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:12 am

SURE WIN !!!!!!!!!
Mitch is the General Murder of lakers.

Caron > kwame BUT caron + chucky < kwame !
kwamejoke

Postby Cleansed on Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:12 am

That maniac Thomas is going to really be the difference in this game. If Thomas is his usual aggressive self and intimidates Mihm and or Bynum you can forget it.

Im looking forward to the Bell / Kobe match up.

Bottom line.....Lakers show up and win by 3.
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:51 am

This will be damn entertaining game! Probaly Lakers will be tired after tonight's win over Denver, but I hope they won't be tired. Suns had 1 day rest after loss to Mavs...
But Lakers will take this one! :jam2:
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby KB24Gold on Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:53 am

This will be tough. Last previous game the suns without Amare gave the Mavs hell before they went down. Kobe's speed will be tested here since this will be a very uptempo like game. I'm hoping we will do our best to lock down on D otherwise it will be a long night for the Lakers.
Money makes life easier, but it does not bring happiness.
KB24Gold
The Rebirth

Postby Ring It Up on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:08 am

If we play defense like we did last night we lose. If Mihm and Brown play like they did last night we lose. Tonight is the night for Parker to show his worth. If Kobe is stuck on Nash all game its gonna be a long night for Kobe.
How do I know Jesus loves me so much he doesn't want me working the whole weekend?
Exodus 31:15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death.
Don't believe those lies, son! The only lies worth believing are the ones in the Bible! Can I get an amen?
Ring It Up

Postby D Nice on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:26 am

You see all the open 3's that Denver got last night.

PHX can shoot, they won't oblige us with brick after brick.

Similarily, Kwame and Odom should have a good offensive nigth. Smush and George need to shoot the 3 as well as they did last night for us to have a chance, ESPECIALLY on the 2nd night of a back to back.
D Nice

Postby KB24 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:52 am

We have to take the ball inside because Phoenix has no size. I hope they keep James Jones in check with good defense. Bell has always excelled against the Lakers. I hope LA isn´t too tired.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby MarkMadsen on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:55 am

D Nice wrote:You see all the open 3's that Denver got last night.

actually i didnt..i only remember probably 2 open 3 pointers we didnt contest.
MarkMadsen

Postby Lakers4Ever on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:05 am

Nash has no D, so Smush will own him on the offensive end IMO. On the defensive end however, I don't know if Smush will be able to keep up with the playmaking of Nash. I'm looking to see another good production night for our Lakers backcourt. Also with Marion guarding Kwame, I think he'll have a better night in the scoring department. Mihm on the other hand will struggle again like usual. Overall, I think the tempo of the game will determine the outcome of who wins.

Lakers win: 109 - 99 :jam2:
Jessica Alba is the HOTTEST woman alive!
Lakers4Ever

Next

Return to Lakers Game Tonight