Thurs. 10/7 - Lakers @ FC Barcelona - Predictions & Comments

Re: Thurs. 10/7 - Lakers @ FC Barcelona - Predictions & Comments

Postby onetrackt on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:08 pm

I know Kobe is hurt but this is an embarrassing loss... It amazes me how lost Artest still looks, and Steve Blake should be the starting PG on this team but hopefully they get their act together closer to the season

One good thing is Lamar is ballin
onetrackt

Postby Philliekb8 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:12 pm

it is somewhat embarassing but whatever. barca is quite good though. individually they can't hang but as a team they played well especially on D. hopefully phil is a little pissed and lets them have it in practice!
Kobe 4 MVP
Philliekb8

Postby Weezy on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:15 pm

I must be the only one that doesn't care about losing an exhibition game, the game meant way more to FC Barcelona and their fans than it did for the Lakers. Fun game though, good to have our team in a pressure end of game test this early. Seriously though how do some here expect us to compete already, we have 5 new players (2 rookies), a hobbled Kobe, no Bynum, it's like a week past the start of training camp, relax folks. To call this an embarrassment is to disrespect international ball and to not consider the fact that building team chemistry takes time, this is no different than losing to the Wolves.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:19 pm

I honestly have no idea what the hell the Lakers were thinking. I do not see the point in LA going all out against FC Barcelona. This is an exhibition game and should have been treated as such. I mean seriously, would LA have been going all out if they were playing the Timberwolves? I'm guessing "no" judging by what I saw in their previous game. Kobe is obviously still far from being 100% and yet he's forcing and chucking ugly shots in an attempt to win a MEANINGLESS game all by himself because he's too stupid and prideful for his own good. His performance today was exactly what almost cost the Lakers Game 7 in the Finals. I'm sure when they interview him he'll be all "I was just trying to give the fans in Spain a better show than I gave the fans in England". And Phil is an idiot for letting him go back out onto the floor. His mangled finger (which he chose to play through because he was stubborn) is already a big question mark, now this fool goes out and tries to play through a recent surgically repaired knee at the risk of God knows what. Let FC Barcelona have their tiny little moral victory after their national team got bent over at the Worlds, this franchise has a threepeat to chase you idiot.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby TT24 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:19 pm

Weezy wrote:I must be the only one that doesn't care about losing an exhibition game, the game meant way more to FC Barcelona and their fans than it did for the Lakers. Fun game though, good to have our team in a pressure end of game test this early. Seriously though how do some here expect us to compete already, we have 5 new players (2 rookies), a hobbled Kobe, no Bynum, it's like a week past the start of training camp, relax folks. To call this an embarrassment is to disrespect international ball and to not consider the fact that building team chemistry takes time, this is no different than losing to the Wolves.

Exactly. We are playing our SECOND preseason game after about a week and a half of practice. FCB has been playing much longer than us and are more in tune, we aren't. Relax. Damn this gets old sometimes.
TT24

Postby Ariza68 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Weezy wrote:I must be the only one that doesn't care about losing an exhibition game, the game meant way more to FC Barcelona and their fans than it did for the Lakers. Fun game though, good to have our team in a pressure end of game test this early. Seriously though how do some here expect us to compete already, we have 5 new players (2 rookies), a hobbled Kobe, no Bynum, it's like a week past the start of training camp, relax folks. To call this an embarrassment is to disrespect international ball and to not consider the fact that building team chemistry takes time, this is no different than losing to the Wolves.

Right on the money...except that Barça is better than Wolves and the Lakers were really trying.

Barcelona is a solid team and whenever Juan Carlos Navarro decides to put the team on his shoulders everything can happen, even to kick the butt of the Nba champs. He's an outstanding player by Fiba and Nba means, not question about that.
Ariza68

Postby karacha on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:22 pm

I find this amusing actually. So, the Lakers are not the World Champs anymore.

But seriously, of course they are not in the regular season shape. That's normal. Blake is still great though and Odom is beasting.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby AvenLarue on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:22 pm

This Barcelona team could play in the NBA. I think a lot of people are forgetting this fact. People from ESPN, Draftexpress, and other sites have stated this numerous times. Now just because they could play in the NBA doesn't mean they could compete and make the playoffs. They would likely be in the same scenario as the Warriors and Kings in the league. And this leads to my second point. Would anyone of you be making a big deal if the Lakers lost to the Warriors or Kings in preseason? Hell no. First, because it's the preseason. Secondly, because it's the preseason. Most of you complaining about the loss are only doing so because the NBA logo is not attached to Barcelona.
Last edited by AvenLarue on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AvenLarue

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

I'm more annoyed with the fact that LA seemed like they were taking this game seriously. Laker fans getting angry at LA losing a preseason game (even if they are playing the current Euro champs) I can understand no matter how stupid it sounds because fans of the P&G constantly expect greatness, but the team itself should know better.

On a side note, I find it a bit ironic that many folks here would criticize LeBron for going all out against the Pistons the other night like it was Game 7 of the ECF yet they b**ch about how embarrassing it is to lose an exhibition game. Ridiculous double standard.
Last edited by bruddahmanmatt on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby lakers_09tv on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:28 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:I honestly have no idea what the hell the Lakers were thinking. I do not see the point in LA going all out against FC Barcelona. This is an exhibition game and should have been treated as such. I mean seriously, would LA have been going all out if they were playing the Timberwolves? I'm guessing "no" judging by what I saw in their previous game. Kobe is obviously still far from being 100% and yet he's forcing and chucking ugly shots in an attempt to win a MEANINGLESS game all by himself because he's too stupid and prideful for his own good. His performance today was exactly what almost cost the Lakers Game 7 in the Finals. I'm sure when they interview him he'll be all "I was just trying to give the fans in Spain a better show than I gave the fans in England". And Phil is an idiot for letting him go back out onto the floor. His mangled finger (which he chose to play through because he was stubborn) is already a big question mark, now this fool goes out and tries to play through a recent surgically repaired knee at the risk of God knows what. Let FC Barcelona have their tiny little moral victory after their national team got bent over at the Worlds, this franchise has a threepeat to chase you idiot.

Totally agree.
Matt Barnes - "I respect all my opponents but I fear no one."

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
lakers_09tv

Postby EuropeanLithuanian on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:34 pm

Why do you forget that Barcelone played YOUR games with YOUR rules. You know that some NBA and Euroleague rules are different (travel, assist, 3pt line). And Barcelone won against lakers in NBA GAME. So what would be result if Lakers and Barcelone would play in Euroleague rules? Why do you forget that?
EuropeanLithuanian

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:37 pm

EuropeanLithuanian wrote:Why do you forget that Barcelone played YOUR games with YOUR rules. You know that some NBA and Euroleague rules are different (travel, assist, 3pt line). And Barcelone won against lakers in NBA GAME. So what would be result if Lakers and Barcelone would play in Euroleague rules? Why do you forget that?

Go cry more because Team USA kicked the s**t out of Lithuania at the FIBA Worlds. You obviously still mad with a post like that. FC Barcelona would get murdered if they tried to play LA when the Lakers are peaking during the playoffs, it's not even close.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby bystander on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:40 pm

I liked the game, considering Lakers were at half speed. Odom played 41 minutes i think, insane. Rubio was missing.

pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby revgen on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:44 pm

RushDelivery wrote:I know it's just an exhibition game, but it's still extremely embarrassing for the NBA champions with a team full of NBA level talent to lose to a team with mostly players that would never make the NBA. It's most likely a lack of focus and the injuries hurting the Lakers meaning this won't be an issue when the real season begins, but it still stings to lose this one.

1) Bynum is out
2) Luke is out.
3) Kobe is hobbled
4) We have 4 new players who happen to be playing significant minutes partly due to Bynum and Luke being out.
5) We had a training camp that was shorter than usual due to these international exhibition games.
6) Yet we lose a close game against the best team of the 2nd best basketball league in the world (Euroleague) who happen to have already gone through training camp and preseason already.

Disappointing. Yes. Embarassing. Hardly.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby EuropeanLithuanian on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:45 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
EuropeanLithuanian wrote:Why do you forget that Barcelone played YOUR games with YOUR rules. You know that some NBA and Euroleague rules are different (travel, assist, 3pt line). And Barcelone won against lakers in NBA GAME. So what would be result if Lakers and Barcelone would play in Euroleague rules? Why do you forget that?

Go cry more because Team USA kicked the s**t out of Lithuania at the FIBA Worlds. You obviously still mad with a post like that. FC Barcelona would get murdered if they tried to play LA when the Lakers are peaking during the playoffs, it's not even close.

I don't say that BArcelona is stronger, but i don't like your american arrogancy and disrespect european basketball. We know that Lakers players is more athletic, but you could see that team play can win against individual athletism. And i just want to say that again, Barcelona played well in NBA rules and won in YOUR games, so you must respect our game.

P.S. Lithuania have 3mil ppl, USA have 300mil ppl. WE played well and got bronze, because lost only 1 game and lost not to Turkey, but lost against champions.
EuropeanLithuanian

Postby lAKERfaNaticKID on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:50 pm

lets play again after we win the championship...when all the players are hitting on all cylinders....if they beat us at that time then i'll be impressed....

regardless...

1. players are rusty.
2. new players in the system.
3. no bynum and basically no kobe.

and we barely lost.....so no worries
lAKERfaNaticKID

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:51 pm

The Lakers seriously need to bench Kobe for the remainder of the preseason. Were it some random scrub NBA team in a game being played stateside, he wouldn't even have been on the court. This team needs to work on integrating Blake and Barnes into the offense, getting Sasha and Shannon some run so that they can get into an early rhythm and developing Ebanks and Caracter. When he's ready, Bryant will be back and he'll do his thing, he always has. In the meantime it's the new guys and the bench who need to learn the habits of one another and get back into playing shape. Pau Gasol has looked like s**t in these past two games. Boy better get his head on straight.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Weezy on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:58 pm

This is the one thing I dislike about these exhibition games. We win, it's because the refs let us and we were playing NBA rules and we have a big payroll, etc.. We lose, Europe is so great and beat us at our own game. it was a meaningless exhibition games and Spanish fans take it as some huge victory, as if they beat the real world champ Lakers. If this was game 7 of the Finals Lakers they would have been everywhere on defense, they would have beat FCB easily, so what kind of great victory for FCB is this really? Take your big victory, but don't come here and try and rub it in as if it matters because it doesn't, the Lakers have already forgotten it.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:12 pm

EuropeanLithuanian wrote:I don't say that BArcelona is stronger, but i don't like your american arrogancy and disrespect european basketball. We know that Lakers players is more athletic, but you could see that team play can win against individual athletism. And i just want to say that again, Barcelona played well in NBA rules and won in YOUR games, so you must respect our game.

P.S. Lithuania have 3mil ppl, USA have 300mil ppl. WE played well and got bronze, because lost only 1 game and lost not to Turkey, but lost against champions.

No one is saying that FC Barcelona isn't a decent team, but get real buddy. The Chicago Bulls or the Dallas Mavericks could probably tear them a new one if both teams were in peak form. And stop crying about them playing with NBA rules. Team USA kicked your team's a*s playing FIBA rules. Besides, the game isn't THAT different. FIBA is already instituting a longer three point line, the rectangular lane and the no-charge arc so it's something Euro teams will have to get used to anyway. And seriously, LOL @ calling the Lakers "athletic". LA is one of the oldest teams in the league. Aside from Shannon Brown, Matt Barnes and Devin Ebanks the Lakers are far from what you could call an "athletic" team. This is not the Oklahoma City Thunder or the Atlanta Hawks.

As far as using population as an argument, China has over a billion people and yet they still suck at basketball in comparison to the US so don't give me that crap. As far as European basketball in comparison to the NBA, well, the European league isn't quite the scrub WNBA caliber league that it used to be, but second tier is still second tier. When we send our best players to international tournaments, other teams don't stand a chance.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:23 pm

lakerswiz wrote:Oh geez.

And now the Spaniards come out.

Funny how they ducked the whole game and only decide to show their faces after FC Barcelona wins a meaningless game. Didn't have much to say in the Team USA FIBA thread though. :man10: :man10: :man10:
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby bystander on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:05 pm

Where are those spaniards ? Who are they ?
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:20 pm

lakerswiz wrote:You.

:man10: :man10: :man10:

OWNED.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby trodgers on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:46 pm

Ariza68 wrote:Barcelona is a solid team and whenever Juan Carlos Navarro decides to put the team on his shoulders everything can happen, even to kick the butt of the Nba champs.

This is one of the most comedic things I've ever read. I'd say it's the most hilarious, but something tells me I'll soon see something to top it.

He's an outstanding player by Fiba and Nba means, not question about that.

Ahh, there you go.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby abeer3 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:49 pm

i'm not sure kobe playing is doing him or the team any good. i realize that the fans in europe want to see him, but he's playing on one leg. all of his shots are off-balance, by design. when he does set himself, he's shooting set shots from distance.

i was bummed not to see some of the other guys get more burn, specifically caracter and barnes, as both guys might be needed early in the season to fill in for guys who aren't 100% yet.

sasha is killing me thus far in the preseason.
abeer3

Postby trodgers on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:51 pm

I didn't see the game, but I think there's something about timing that you get just from being out there playing against real competition that you can't get in the gym or at practice.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Gameday