Thurs. 1/19 - Lakers @ Heat - Predictions & Comments

Re: Thurs. 1/19 - Lakers @ Heat - Predictions & Comments

Postby trodgers on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:52 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
trodgers wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:This was the Clippers game all over again. Lakers dug themselves into too deep a hole and couldn't climb out of it. What annoys me more than anything else is that if they did in the first half some of the things they did in the 4th quarter offensively, they'd have had a shot at winning this game. Bryant needs to stop worry about padding his stats and start looking for ways to set up his teammates.

You're better than this post.

Some of his shots just make me wonder sometimes. I mean I get him taking a few here and there to keep the defense honest, but you have to wonder after the sixth or seventh one doesn't go down if maybe it's time to you know, SWITCH IT UP A BIT? Post up, get into the lane, use a pick, just do something other than stand there and take a contested three or long two. I gotta say, as much as everyone probably wanted to laugh at LeBron for dishing to Battier for the corner three when Bryant was up in his face, James made the correct decision. We all know what Kobe would have done, and if his tough shot would have gone down he'd have been heralded for it, but when the tough ones don't fall, you have to take the criticism that comes with making those kinds of decisions. Bryant wants to win, but he wants to win HIS WAY, and as spectacular as that is to watch when LA wins, it's just downright dreadful when he can't get his shot to fall. Until he gets some help out back, he needs to focus on doing more to get his teammates easy looks.

But do you believe he tries to pad his own stats? Wanting to do it your way is one thing; caring only about your stats is another. I don't think Kobe pads stats.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby trodgers on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:54 pm

This game was terribly hard to stomach. We'll get it going tomorrow. Can't imagine the team laying an egg twice in a row, even on the road.
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Ariza68 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:55 pm

kray28 wrote:Kobe should have shot more today....he didn't shoot enough.

Yes, He should have translated his marvelous 38% shooting to a 30+ shots night. It was really needed in this game. :man5:
Ariza68

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:59 pm

trodgers wrote:He shot 8 times in the first half. Only James had more assists than he did (1 more). He had two TOs in the game. And then in the second half, he shot 7-13, scored 18 points. Kobe wasn't the problem offensively.

You're cherry picking stats. He only took eight shots in the first half but he missed all but one of them. Furthermore, Miami got off to a slow start early. The Lakers had a legit shot to pounce on the Heat early in the game but Kobe did his part in helping to shoot LA out of it. When you have a sizable advantage down low you must use it and Bryant opted not to do that in the first quarter. Furthermore, a good chunk of his makes in the second half came when the game was already well out of reach so whatever "contribution" he made offensively at that point was kind of meaningless.

You're better than that post.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:00 pm

trodgers wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:Some of his shots just make me wonder sometimes. I mean I get him taking a few here and there to keep the defense honest, but you have to wonder after the sixth or seventh one doesn't go down if maybe it's time to you know, SWITCH IT UP A BIT? Post up, get into the lane, use a pick, just do something other than stand there and take a contested three or long two. I gotta say, as much as everyone probably wanted to laugh at LeBron for dishing to Battier for the corner three when Bryant was up in his face, James made the correct decision. We all know what Kobe would have done, and if his tough shot would have gone down he'd have been heralded for it, but when the tough ones don't fall, you have to take the criticism that comes with making those kinds of decisions. Bryant wants to win, but he wants to win HIS WAY, and as spectacular as that is to watch when LA wins, it's just downright dreadful when he can't get his shot to fall. Until he gets some help out back, he needs to focus on doing more to get his teammates easy looks.

But do you believe he tries to pad his own stats? Wanting to do it your way is one thing; caring only about your stats is another. I don't think Kobe pads stats.

Yeah it's called hyperbole. I thought it was obvious but apparently I need to spell it out next time. No I do not believe that Kobe is a stat padder, but I do believe that his ego often gets the best of him and that it sometimes results in him being a little too concerned with proving his doubters wrong as opposed to actually winning the game. Forgive me, "stat padder" just has more punch and takes less time to type.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby trodgers on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:03 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
trodgers wrote:He shot 8 times in the first half. Only James had more assists than he did (1 more). He had two TOs in the game. And then in the second half, he shot 7-13, scored 18 points. Kobe wasn't the problem offensively.

You're cherry picking stats. He only took eight shots in the first half but he missed all but one of them. Furthermore, Miami got off to a slow start early. The Lakers had a legit shot to pounce on the Heat early in the game but Kobe did his part in helping to shoot LA out of it. When you have a sizable advantage down low you must use it and Bryant opted not to do that in the first quarter. Furthermore, a good chunk of his makes in the second half came when the game was already well out of reach so whatever "contribution" he made offensively at that point was kind of meaningless.

You're better than that post.

He took eight because he wasn't hitting. If he were hitting, he would've taken more. We had a rather "even" shot distribution among Pau, Kobe, and Bynum in the first half. That's what so many people want; that's roughly what they got. The point is that he responded to what was going on. Almost everyone has admitted that he didn't really take bad shots this game.

The Lakers didn't pounce on Miami because Bynum went out with fouls and LA refused to guard threes. It's as if you're forgetting that LA went inside heavily and then Bynum went out with foul trouble, and no one else was doing it down low. Gasol scored probably half his points (maybe more) on jumpers.

I don't see how a contribution can be meaningless when it's against starters, leads the team back into the game, and gives your competitition a legit concern that it's not over. I'm very happy with the post and the sentiment.
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby BadCoaching on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Kobe for Paul Pierce!!!!

:man11:
BadCoaching

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:18 pm

trodgers wrote:He took eight because he wasn't hitting. If he were hitting, he would've taken more. We had a rather "even" shot distribution among Pau, Kobe, and Bynum in the first half. That's what so many people want; that's roughly what they got. The point is that he responded to what was going on. Almost everyone has admitted that he didn't really take bad shots this game.

Hahahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. OMG. You Kobe apologists crack me up. I suppose you expect me to thank him for only taking eight since he was building a house with all of those bricks then?

:man10:

The problem with those eight shots is that aside from the one baseline jumper he took and made, the rest all came off of isos near the three point line. I'd have been ok with him missing most of his makes if he made smarter decisions and shot the ball coming off screens or down on the box etc..., but once again, it's not the volume that concerns me so much as it is the selection. Even if it was "only eight shots", it was seven bad ones. Bryant needs to be smarter than that. FWIW, he wised up in the second half and took better shots and what do you know, miraculously he started to hit. The point folks such as myself are always trying to make is that the guy needs to stop forcing the issue and he also needs to play smarter basketball.

trodgers wrote:The Lakers didn't pounce on Miami because Bynum went out with fouls and LA refused to guard threes. It's as if you're forgetting that LA went inside heavily and then Bynum went out with foul trouble, and no one else was doing it down low. Gasol scored probably half his points (maybe more) on jumpers.

You may want to take a look at the play-by-play. Bryant missed four shots before Drew was forced to leave the game. Bynum only took three shots, he whiffed on all of them but got to the stripe once and had Gasol put back one of his misses.

trodgers wrote:I don't see how a contribution can be meaningless when it's against starters, leads the team back into the game, and gives your competitition a legit concern that it's not over. I'm very happy with the post and the sentiment.

Obviously anything is possible, but when you're down 12-15 with 2-3 minutes left in the 4th, it's safe to say that the game is over. Again I repeat what I said earlier, had the Lakers in the first half made some of the decisions they did in the 4th quarter (i.e. using screens, drawing doubles to free up shooters etc...), perhaps they wouldn't have dug themselves into such a deep hole. In any case you're attempting to use what Bryant did late in a game that was all but lost to justify his earlier play and suggest that he didn't do too poorly overall "because he hit some shots late". Come on, you're better than that post.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby magicman32 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:52 pm

This team is just nothing more than a little better than average. We always lose to lebron .

As much as I love Kobe, lebron on the lakers instead of kobe would make us a leading contender
magicman32

Postby odom1year on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:06 am

Kobe is no longer the best player in NBA. He only knows shoot, shoot and shoot. Is scoring the most points meaning you are the best player ?
odom1year

Postby trodgers on Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:31 am

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
trodgers wrote:He took eight because he wasn't hitting. If he were hitting, he would've taken more. We had a rather "even" shot distribution among Pau, Kobe, and Bynum in the first half. That's what so many people want; that's roughly what they got. The point is that he responded to what was going on. Almost everyone has admitted that he didn't really take bad shots this game.

Hahahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. OMG. You Kobe apologists crack me up. I suppose you expect me to thank him for only taking eight since he was building a house with all of those bricks then?

Did you notice that in this very thread people said that he should have shot more? I'd say that thanking Kobe is note the first thing that comes to mind. Being appreciative that he read the game and responded appropriately makes good sense though. I mean, unless you don't care about players doing the right thing.

The problem with those eight shots is that aside from the one baseline jumper he took and made, the rest all came off of isos near the three point line. I'd have been ok with him missing most of his makes if he made smarter decisions and shot the ball coming off screens or down on the box etc..., but once again, it's not the volume that concerns me so much as it is the selection. Even if it was "only eight shots", it was seven bad ones. Bryant needs to be smarter than that.

I see. You believe that he did seven isos from the three-point line. But that's not true. Just please look back at the game and then let me know whether your opinion has changed.

You may want to take a look at the play-by-play. Bryant missed four shots before Drew was forced to leave the game. Bynum only took three shots, he whiffed on all of them but got to the stripe once and had Gasol put back one of his misses.

Kobe took four shots very early. They didn't fall. He adjusted. I don't have to look at the play by play because I watched the game and followed along with the play by play at the time. Bynum had four chances, produced 1 point. The advantage of having Bynum on the floor isn't just Bynum. It's also Gasol. Presumably the best big defender goes on only one of them. The other should exploit it. Gasol got touches early, too. Kobe played well early, got both bigs involved.

In any case you're attempting to use what Bryant did late in a game that was all but lost to justify his earlier play and suggest that he didn't do too poorly overall "because he hit some shots late". Come on, you're better than that post.

No I'm not. I'm defending both his play in the first half and his play late. In both cases he read things well and did what was appropriate.
trodgers
Site Manager

Previous

Return to Lakers Game Tonight