Tue. 12/20 vs. Mavs - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:50 am

Kobe 4 MVP!!! :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
If Kobe would play a few more minutes, he easily could get 70 points or even 80...
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:47 am

LA Times article 'bout game:
Kobe's One-Man Show: 62
# Bryant has a career-best, record-setting night in the Lakers' 112-90 victory over the Mavericks, outscoring Dallas himself through three quarters.

By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer

When his night was finally over, after he had outscored an entire team through three quarters, Kobe Bryant sat down, wrapped a towel around his legs and tucked his hand under his chin.

Then came the laughter, supplied by Coach Phil Jackson, who took out his clipboard, approached the huddle and wrote down what had just happened.

Kobe 62, Dallas 61.

Bryant scored a career-best 62 points without playing in the final quarter, sending him past a litany of Laker greats who never had that many in a game and approaching the NBA record for points in a quarter in a 112-90 Laker victory over the Dallas Mavericks on Tuesday night at Staples Center.

Bryant breezed by his previous career high of 56 points and set a franchise record for points in a quarter with 30 in the third, breaking what had been a three-way tie at 24 among Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and himself.

Toward the end of the third, to the chants of "Ko-be, Ko-be," he made a three-point shot from the right side with 4.4 seconds left to give him one more point than the Mavericks.

His teammates came out to meet him on the court. Laker fans stood in appreciation, if not awe. Jackson smiled.

"A 30-point third quarter, there's never been anything like that that I've seen," Jackson said. "That was unique in itself."

Bryant's third quarter was the fourth-best individual effort in NBA history. George Gervin had 33 points in a quarter in 1978.

Bryant did not play in the fourth, declining Jackson's invitation to reenter the game if he so desired.

"That's not what we play for," Bryant said. "That's not what it's about. It's not to score 70 points. We wanted to win the game, and the game was in the bag. It was in the refrigerator."

Still smoldering from a humiliating 76-74 loss Sunday to Houston, Bryant told guard Smush Parker and assistant coach Brian Shaw earlier in the day he would score 50 against the Mavericks.

"I told them I'd fix it tonight," he said.

He made 18 of 31 shots and 22 of 25 free throws in 33 minutes. He had 15 points after the first quarter and 32 at halftime.

Baylor, West and Wilt Chamberlain are the only Lakers to have scored more than Bryant in a game.

"I just imagine the company to be in that class," Bryant said. "It's a tremendous, tremendous honor."

Even as his night was obviously over a few minutes into the fourth quarter, the crowd continued to chant his name.

He made four three-pointers, scored on numerous spinners in the lane, and had an easy time drawing fouls whenever he went to the hoop.

"Even if they sent two guys at me, I wanted to let them know tonight I was coming after you guys," he said.

Jackson had called Bryant hesitant after his 24-point effort against Houston, pointing out that he failed to attack 6-foot guard David Wesley."Tonight, he went for it," Jackson said.

Maverick owner Mark Cuban, who exchanged barbs with Jackson throughout the week after Jackson accused him of intimidating referees, sat courtside for Tuesday's game, allowing for a pretty good view of Bryant's outburst.

The Lakers led after the first quarter, 25-18, with Bryant making seven of eight shots. Then came the second quarter, with more Bryant and a slightly larger Laker lead, 53-44, at halftime.

When he came out for a rest with 2:15 left in the second quarter, he had 32 points on 11-for-17 shooting. He was put back into the game with 6.3 seconds left until halftime, but his three-point attempt at the buzzer missed, one of few times he disappointed the crowd.

He also mixed it up physically, pointing a finger at Josh Howard in the third quarter after the Maverick forward was called for a flagrant foul for rapping Bryant in the face with his forearm.

Bryant took it in stride, made one of two free throws and continued toward franchise history.

"I didn't realize what kind of quarter I was having," he said. "I just went out there and kept attacking and attacking. It was just a feeling of willfulness, just attack these guys."

(BEGIN TEXT OF INFOBOX)

Sixty is nifty

Kobe Bryant became the sixth player in Laker history to score 60 or more points in a game when he scored 62 in three quarters against Dallas on Tuesday. Bryant's 62 is the best single-game total this season:
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby KB24 on Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:28 am

Untouchable wrote:I CANT BELIEVE PHIL JACKSON IS BEING SELFISH..HE RATHER PLAYS GREEN THAN WAFER..THATS JUST PURE HATE..THE LAKERS ALREADY WON THIS GAME, WHY NOT GIVE THE GUY A CHANCE :mad1: :mad1:

homie he is on the inactive list. What do you expect? He can´t play him because the list has to be made before the game starts. He can´t just ignore that. Wafer or disqualification were the options and its obvious what we did.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby UGOTOWN3D on Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:10 am

Announcer on Staples Center:

DALLAS MAVERICKS .... YOU'VE JUST BEING PUNKED!!!!
UGOTOWN3D

Postby KB24 on Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:16 am

UGOTOWN3D wrote:Announcer on Staples Center:

DALLAS MAVERICKS .... YOU'VE JUST BEING PUNKED!!!!
:man10: :man10: :man10:

KB24
Site Admin

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:28 am

What a freakin awesome game Kobe had.... He outscored the mavs by 1 one at the end of 3, in which he had 62 points... CRAZY! :man4:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby KB8_62pt_In_3/4 on Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:17 am

LakersGyrl2003 wrote:What a freakin awesome game Kobe had.... He outscored the mavs by 1 one at the end of 3, in which he had 62 points... CRAZY! :man4:

Imblevble Performance By KB8 i think its a record that scoring 62pt in 36min ......... :man3: the is no LB23 .... no A I 3 ......
juste kobe in The NBA :jam2:
KB8_62pt_In_3/4

Postby KB24 on Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:23 am

groovy username dude :man10: :man10:
welcome to CL

KB24
Site Admin

Postby Runway on Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:41 am

RJ 21 wrote:
SKKG wrote:
Cody wrote:
thisbjgz wrote:im satisfied with the win..

and fasinated by kobe

truly the BEST !

56 in 3 quarters
42 at half
62 in 3 quarters
30 single handed in ONE quarter..

does this guy amaze me anymore or what?

Dude... how could you expect any less?

He's the G.O.A.T.

Jordan has all that, 5 MVPs and 6 rings, so I'm pretty sure he's the goat

MJ never got 62 in 33 minutes. Not even close. :man12:

Or how about 9 straight threes and 12 in a game? hmm... not that either?

Wait a minute... What about a fall-away three to send the game into OT and then a falling down three to win the game once in OT? Nope... not that either...

I know! What about 42 in one half against the G.O.A.T. himself? Nope...

Quit riding jock fool.

Lol. Single performances are great, but come on, win MVP's and Championships like MJ did. Then youre the goat. MJ best ever, sry kobe, you not close.
Runway

Postby Edgar2005 on Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:08 am

Dawg....kobe would have even reach to 90 pts...yeah 90 pts.... if he had played in the fourth quarter.....30 points in the 3rd and 30 in the 4th...
KOBE #24
Edgar2005

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:22 am

KB8@CL wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:
eNlight wrote:kobe is just amazing, it was an AND1 performance tonight

Kobe's trade value is probably pretty high after tonight. Artest for Kobe? :man10:

Weren´t you the guy that said Kobe is not a franchise player? there you got a big fat answer by Mr. Bryant himself :man9:

I don't know if I ever said he wasn't a franchise player, I might have. I think I said something along the lines of "As of right now Kobe hasn't proved he can be a franchise player." Tonight doesn't do it. You need to at least lead your team to the playoffs and win a series. Will he do that? It is looking more and more likely.
Savory Griddles

Postby Lakerfan36 on Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:51 pm

i just read an article in the LA TIMES. and phil told kobe he could go in the 4th quarter whenever he wanted to. but kobe decided not to go in the 4th.

Shows Kobes Class :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
Future PS3 owners club: Lakerfan 36, lakaboy 42, Hitemup, scheven, KrazyIvan909, flipogb, LUUUKE, Kobe The Dagger, kobe4ever

http://www.break.com/index/snlnarnia.html
Lakerfan36

Postby kobesthegreatest8 on Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:31 pm

Great performence, I loved it, and I am still in awe. I wish he got 70 but it shows the class he has to decline Phil about going back in.

Thanks to Showtime for the greatest sig! And thanks to magicmoment for the awesome Av!
kobesthegreatest8

Previous

Return to Lakers Gameday