Tue. 10/19 vs. Queens - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby KB24Gold on Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:48 pm

The Kobe Era 2K5 wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2004101913
This is boxscore, but now there aren't anything!

Here's recap:
FRESNO, Calif. (AP) -- Caron Butler had 18 points and six rebounds, and Chris Mihm scored 17 points in the Los Angeles Lakers' 105-80 preseason victory over the Sacramento Kings on Tuesday night.

Kobe Bryant had 10 points, five assists and five rebounds while playing 33 minutes for the Lakers in front of a sellout crowd at Fresno's Save Mart Center.

Darius Songaila had 10 points for the Kings, back in action just two days after finishing a weeklong trip to China.

Sacramento's top seven players made little more than token appearances in deference to their jet lag. Chris Webber, Peja Stojakovic and Mike Bibby played the first quarter but didn't leave the bench again, while All-Star center Brad Miller played 14 minutes.

But Bryant was everywhere for the Lakers, directing the offense and talking trash after blocking a shot by Sacramento's Anwar Ferguson. Bryant has received an unusual amount of playing time in the preseason while building chemistry with a roster full of newcomers.

Bryant was in a playful mood, laughing with his teammates and trading jibes with the Kings' bench when coach Rick Adelman begged the referees to call the superstar for pushing off while driving to the hoop.

Lakers center Vlade Divac, perhaps the Kings' most popular player for the past six years before leaving as a free agent, didn't make the trip. He's out at least until the regular season begins with a herniated disc in his lower back.

Though the Lakers were the nominal home team roughly midway between the clubs' homes, the Kings might have been auditioning for love in the San Joaquin Valley, traditionally considered Lakers' turf. The Kings will be the most prominent feature of a new cable sports network in central California this fall.

But if the raucous crowd was any indication, the Lakers are still Fresno's favorites. The fans supported both teams, but Los Angeles' cheers were at least twice as loud -- and though Bryant drew his share of boos, whenever he took it to the basket, dozens of cameras flashed in the crowd.

Thanks for the article, what a good game, I feeling happier and happier with this new team. :jam2:
Money makes life easier, but it does not bring happiness.
KB24Gold
The Rebirth

Postby Guest on Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:50 pm

championship contender...strong starters, strong bench... :jam2:

Postby Hot Sauce on Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:51 pm

Butler be one happenin mofo, ya hurd?
Feed Me!!!!!!!
Hot Sauce

Postby S.R.05 on Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:59 pm

word
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Guest on Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:59 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2004101913
box score's up
i'm not satisfied with kobe's performance tonight....

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:00 pm

kingprince22 wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2004101913
box score's up
i'm not satisfied with kobe's performance tonight....

Why? He set up other players, got everybody else involved and they dominated the other team. When Kobe plays team ball we'll win.
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kasumi on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:01 pm

The most amazing stat of the night ........
Brian Cook with ZERO fouls. :jam2:
ImageImage

You can now find me over at www.LakersBall.com
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby S.R.05 on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:01 pm

bad stat: kobe with another 4 TO game
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Crono0801 on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:02 pm

missmyzte wrote:The most amazing stat of the night ........
:man10: :man10: :man10:
RIP Daniel RIP Ana RIP Tom

The Greatest Game of All time
Crono0801
Good Call Stats Team

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:02 pm

missmyzte wrote:The most amazing stat of the night ........

Cook is amazing this year. Most improved player off any team for that matter that I've seen this pre-season :jam2:
LD2k.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:04 pm

Butler-18 & 6
Cook-17 points & 6 rebounds
Mihm 17 points
Kobe-10 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists
Sasha-10 points & 6 rebounds
Odom-9 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists
Brown-8 points
JJ-6 points & 5 rebounds
Bobbitt-6 points
Diet-2 points & 5 assists
Grant-3 rebounds
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby outfear on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:05 pm

jsm0331 wrote:Butler-18 & 6
Mihm 17 points
Brown-8 points
JJ-6 points & 5 rebounds
Bobbitt-6 points
Grant-3 rebounds

shoting %?
outfear

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:05 pm

jsm0331 wrote:Butler-18 & 6
Mihm 17 points
Brown-8 points
JJ-6 points & 5 rebounds
Bobbitt-6 points
Grant-3 rebounds

Balance in scoring = domination. We have a more talented bench than I first expected... we're... actually... a ultra-talented team.

And may I remind everybody with this box score that we scored 105 POINTS.
LD2k.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:07 pm

outfear wrote:shoting %?

48.8% vs the Kings 39.8%
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:07 pm

jsm0331 wrote:

48.8% vs the Kings 39.8%

The difference was our hard-athletic defense.
LD2k.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby gill on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:10 pm

OMG! Kobe only scored 10 points and we still won? Wow! Caron and Mihm are really starting to be benefits for this team. That's a good sign they can take away the heavy load from Kobe from time to time.

What a great supporting cast!
gill

Postby LaLaKeRz4LiFe on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:12 pm

Whats happening to Odom? In the 3 games, he is just averaging maybe 10 pts and 4 rebounds?
LaLaKeRz4LiFe

Postby purple_and_gold_fever on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:13 pm

nice victory for the lakers.. now i can talk trash to them laker haters at my skool.. :jam2:
purple_and_gold_fever

Postby ragecorps on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:18 pm

cook tore it up! :jam2:
ragecorps

Postby lakerfool on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:20 pm

YEAH, THE LITTLE OF TEH GAME I SAW, I SAW COOK MOVING EVERYWHERE ON THE COURT, BEING ACTIVE FOR TEH FIRST TIME EVER!!!

NO TRIANGLE RULES!!!
I SUPPORT THE WHOLE LAKER TEAM NOT JUST CERTAIN PLAYERS: (pm to join) slimjim, Realm of Shadows, KareemTheGreat33, Bballgirl85, DMK, strategos, Kobe#2, Kob3eight, jellyroll49, LALShowtime, Genius GZA, Shooter871, Juronimo
lakerfool

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:29 pm

Kobe as a leader is almost scarier than him as a second option to Shaq. :man4:
LD2k.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby KingsFan in LA on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:29 pm

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:
jsm0331 wrote:

48.8% vs the Kings 39.8%

That and the kings didn't play any starters or bobby jackson after the 1st quarter. Nice win and great laker hustle though
KingsFan in LA

Postby crucifido on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:43 pm

The train gets some wheels...

Sure does look like this team is gaining an understanding for what each other can do quicker than I and most people thought they would.

The great parts tonight were:
* Caron Butler is healthy I guess, huh? The guy is coming on wuickly and showed tonight that greatness is within him, it just needs some minutes and health to be noticed.

Keep working on - finding when tot pass and when to drive. Communicate more on offense and don't let your athleticism make decisions for you, let the plays, game situation and the coach do that.

* Brian Cook has found his game and none to soon. The guy is playing the exact game he played in college and I believe (aside from minutes which helps any player) that the new system is favoring his style much more than the triangle did. He's hitting the same shots he did in college and is playing that same break-out Robert Horry game (sans the hops Rob had) that is vitally needed at the power forward back-up spot.

Keep working on - defensive rebounding and not hesitating when the defense gives you the room to shoot from 12 to 14 feet out.

* Chris Mihm continues to "Mihmpress". The guy just shows moreand more every game. Tonight it looked like Kobe became a believer in him. If they can work a nice fade from the high post two-man game, Mihm will have another weapon in his arsenal. The hook is shaping into form again, the rebounding timing has already improved from the first pre-season game and his work ethci on both ends of the court is admirable.

Keep working on - timing for rebounds and learning where to be in the lane on offense when someone drives into it.

* Lamar Odom is playing great without much ado. Odom is quickly turning into the Pippen-esque player he needs to be, whether he knows it or wants it to happen or not. His mdefense tonight on Webber and on smaller big man as well as on small guards that drove into him was fantastic. His footwork was perfect on "D" and he has a great awareness of where to be at what time. The offense will come in due time. He showed flashes of the future tonight that surely got the staff and most of us up off our couch.

Keep working on - learning the offensive schemes and not working yourself too deep under the basket for drives and for rebounds.

(One more, sorry, just excited about the game tonight :freak2:)

* Kobe is showing signs of something special. That leader mentality and quality so many of his critics have been saying he doesn't possess is coming to fore. His sacrifices on the offensive end for the sake of the guys trying to make the team and his assured new teammates is wonderful to see. He's getting everyone talking on defense and looking like he's doing his best to bind this team together when they're out of the game. In the span of 3 games, he's shown 3 different types of leadership - points, assists and now spirit. Things are falling together well for Kobe and his crew.

Keep working on - when to be aggressive and when to be generous. Find a balance between when its time for you to lead and when its time for Rudy to lead.

For everyone else the only thing they need to work on is balancing their exhuberance with control. A couple times tonight, mainly in the second and third quarter, the energy that propelled them to a lead also dragged them back down to a deficit. It's one thing to be energetci, but another thing to be downright spastic. It's great that the energy is even there this year, but learning how to harness that ebergy will be key to succeeding.

I know, I know, "Man shutup already!"

Just pumped for this new era of Laker ball.
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby dj vitus on Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:53 pm

KingsFan in LA wrote:
Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:
jsm0331 wrote:

48.8% vs the Kings 39.8%

That and the kings didn't play any starters or bobby jackson after the 1st quarter. Nice win and great laker hustle though

I actually agree with this Kings fan.. it woulda been nicer to see our best guys against their best guys... not our best against their worst... It's nice to see everyone get out and rolling, though.. .hopefully this will build our momentum.
dj vitus

Postby crucifido on Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:03 pm

With Webber being as fragile as he is, I don't blame the Kings for sitting him down most of the game. He's going to miss 20 - 25 games anyway this season, they have to siphon as many minutes from him as they can.

Stojakovic doesn't need the pre-season, he's a shooter andf that's it. He still has the touch and that's all he is there for. Bobby Jackson is fresh offa major injury and if I ran the Kings I would have let him sit a lot too. They've been running the same system for years now, those guys know it through and through. Their camp (and most teams' pre-season for that matter) are primarily for trying out players.

It would've been great to see the best agsinst the bestm but I was happy with watching the energy and ehtusiasm that all the Laker players played with, despite who it was against.
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Game Tonight