Tue. 10/12 vs. Sonics - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:44 pm

5 more days. the one i'm really looking forward to is the one against clippers on tnt on oct 22.
GWHiZiTSPHiL
Clublakers Rep: Clippers

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:28 pm

GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:5 more days. the one i'm really looking forward to is the one against clippers on tnt on oct 22.

Same here...
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Showtime.Revival.05 on Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:35 pm

the one im really looking forward to is dec 25...i seriously cant wait to see that game
Showtime.Revival.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby G|B|G|B on Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:45 pm

wowowoowowow! :man11:
G|B|G|B
ClubHeatHoops.com Administrator

Postby purple_and_gold_fever on Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:47 pm

Showtime.Revival.05 wrote:the one im really looking forward to is dec 25...i seriously cant wait to see that game

im excited bout that game too... but im just very excited to start the season... :jam2: and watch this young team play for the first time.. :jam2: :jam2:
purple_and_gold_fever

Postby KB24Gold on Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:29 pm

Man it feels good that we are so close to the season, TV was so boring (besides smallville). This season is looking to be one of the best we have seen in quite awhile.
Money makes life easier, but it does not bring happiness.
KB24Gold
The Rebirth

Postby RushDelivery on Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:03 am

I just can't wait to see a motivated team (that's the key word here) trying their hardest day in and day out. It was always painful to watch the Lakers the last two years when they had the potential to win it all but always came up short due to a lack of desire or teamwork. At least this time if we lose it's expected, and if we win it's as a team and not as a collection of talented individuals.

I love all the emphesis on defense, and I hope this team improves their road game attitudes. Lately the Lakers have not been a good road team, and usually the best road team with the best defense wins the title, so that's gotta change. That's in Kobe's hands now, may he lead the Lakers to greatness :jam2:.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby Real Deal on Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:05 am

Lakers 87, Sonics 81

Key factors will be if the Lakers can keep Nick Collison away from the boards. Collison is a rookie...but he's known for pulling down 20+ boards in a few games his senior season at KU (I know him personally, along with Hinrich, so I know how strong he really is). Ray Allen will more than likely be contained...and I'm not worried about anyone else really. If Collison does start over Fortson, then I'd expect the Lakers to try Grant at center and Odom at PF, with Butler as the starting SF...because they need to think about Flip Murray (is he still injured?) and Allen throwing passes down low to try and out-body our defenders in the paint. This will always be a strategy against us from all teams, so we need to play tough defense and help out under the hoop as much as possible, including pulling down defensive rebounds.

On the offensive end, Daniels will be matched up with Atkins...which isn't bad. At least it's not Mike Bibby or Tony Parker. The Lakers will more than likely push the ball down court faster than usual and go for alot of fast breaks (it is a preseason game, so expect them to try and experiment with this).

Considering Divac won't be good until the opener (if I'm wrong, let me know)...I see the Lakers going with Grant, Odom, Butler, Kobe and Atkins as the starting five.

Off the bench? Luke Walton will be a big help in this game, as long as he's not playing PF. If so, and with either Fortson or Collison off the bench, he'll have a tough time defensively. Collison has an effective post game, and Fortson will body Walton to get his points.

Lakers take this one, but will have to fight for it down low. :ball1:
Real Deal

Postby noxcel on Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:47 pm

Who is gonna start for the Lakers? Anyone knows?
noxcel

Postby BDG on Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:52 pm

noxcel wrote:Who is gonna start for the Lakers? Anyone knows?
From what I've been hearing, our most likely lineup will be:

PG Chucky Atkins
SG Kobe Bryant
SF Lamar Odom
PF Brian Grant
C Chris Mihm

Caron could start at SF and then Odom and Grant would move up a position. However that's not confirmed.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby noxcel on Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:54 pm

Yeah, I think Mihm will start.
noxcel

Postby BDG on Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:03 pm

noxcel wrote:Yeah, I think Mihm will start.
Most likely, since Vlade is injured. The only way he won't start is if Caron starts and Odom and Grant move to PF and C respectively.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby BDG on Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:17 pm

I take that back... our member brucewayne was watching sports central and they apparently said Odom will be at PF.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby KB24 on Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:18 pm

I would start
Sasha
Kobe
Caron
Odom
Mihm!
I want to find out how good Sasha is! We know what Atkins can do but in the preseoson i would like to see what this guy can do!
Game prediction: LA wins because our Bench is as good as Seattles Starting Lineup! Only Problem is that Grant has to backup Mihm!

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby lofton_wu on Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:38 pm

BryantDunkGiant wrote:
noxcel wrote:Who is gonna start for the Lakers? Anyone knows?
From what I've been hearing, our most likely lineup will be:

PG Chucky Atkins
SG Kobe Bryant
SF Lamar Odom
PF Brian Grant
C Chris Mihm

Caron could start at SF and then Odom and Grant would move up a position. However that's not confirmed.

yeah,I think this starting lineup will be good for tommorow.I would like to see Odom plays SF.he can use his height except against Lewis.

BTW,will Grant play??if not,I hope our start PF is Slava!! :jam2:

wow,I can't wait this game....hope we can win!!GO LAKERS!!
Last edited by lofton_wu on Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lofton_wu

Postby iWuVkObE8BrYaNT on Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:40 pm

hey guys, will KVTA AM 1520 cover this game?

`Behind every great man is a great woman`

`It is not necessary to hope in order to undertake, or to succeed in order to perservere`
iWuVkObE8BrYaNT

Postby purple_and_gold_fever on Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:41 pm

i wont be able to watch this game cuz i have choir practice.... :man5:
purple_and_gold_fever

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:38 am

I think Brian Grant will start at center! Grant will ~20 minutes and mihm will play 20 minutes!
Can't wait for the game! :man13:
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby GuRu on Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:16 am

Guess what?

ITS ImageGAMEDAY ALL YOU LITTLE Image

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:26 am

:ball1: :ball1: :ball1:
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby DIESEL on Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:58 am

damm we got a lot of injuries , the nightmare of the injuries is coming back again this year :bang:
KOBE BRYANT = MVP
DIESEL

Postby outfear on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:13 am

show in schedule now :jam2: :jam2:
:ball1: :ball1: :ball1:
outfear

Postby GT1 on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:53 am

YEP
GT1

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:24 pm

Chucky Atkins vs Luke Ridnour and Antonio Daniels: Another position that Nate is planning on rotating minutes and rotations. By the end of last season, Luke was the starter, so I expect to see him start this one, even though he and Daniels will likely split playing time in half. We get to see how our starting PG can handle this duo. This will be our first taste of just how well he can defend. I know we would all prefer if he was coming off the bench, but for awhile, he is going to be our starting PG, as much as we may not be too fond of him starting. I hope he carries the same attitude that he had in camp, to the pre-season. He was up in player's faces, getting onto them for not doing things right, and we can always use another vocal leader. I expect to see him do what he likes to do, jack up the 3's, hopefully they fall tonight. I think the Seattle duo will get the best of him tonight. Also, we will get a chance to see some of the guys that are fighting to be the backup PG--Sasha, Bobbitt, and Brown. Sasha seems to be very confident, let's hope he uses this swagger for good, and doesn't try to pick any fights tonight. Bobbitt will probably play some against Daniels, since he is a bigger guard that can use his bulk against him, and won't have to try to keep up with him, like he would have to do with Luke. I expect to see Atkins and Brown play most of the minutes against Ridnour, all fast PGs, that like to run. I also will be anxious to find out if Brown can really get to the basket on anyone.

Kobe Bryant vs Ray Allen:
Lakers finally get to see Kobe's first game on his team and with him as the leader. He seems ready for the role by actions he has taken and by what he has been saying about Rudy and this team. We get to see the new and improved Kobe, he's 10 pounds bulkier and has a clear mind, no more trial hanging over his head. We are going to see a lock down by Kobe, otherwise, we will see another classic Ray Allen performance against the Lakers. He likes to have shootouts against us, so we are going to need Kobe to limit his production, as well as, match whatever he does. This is the matchup of the game and will be a physical one. Everyone is wanting to see how Kobe does without Shaq, we already know what Shaq can do alone (lose to the Rockets), not it's Kobe's turn to see if he and his new teammates can do any better. If Kobe attacks early, he can have his way with Allen, because Ronald Murray is questionable for the game, Allen will likely have to play a large portion of the minutes. Let's see what this low post Kobe can do. I expect to see a couple of high flying jams, several trips to the line, and some fast break layups from #8. Also, we get to see how well Kareem can fit into Rudy's system and how he accepts this limited role, with Kobe and Caron getting SG time. He has also added some bulk, if he can show he can knock down shots, and be happy with his new role, we all should be happy.

Lamar Odom vs Rashard Lewis: Two reasons for Odom starting off against Lewis, one Caron very well might have to sit this one out and he is a lot better matchup against Rashard. I really would prefer not to have Caron have to play against Lewis, especially if he isn't 100%, that just wouldn't help the Lakers out at all. Lewis is a big, athletic player, it would only make sense to match him up against Odom. I expect this to be a very good matchup, both are similar in build (Odom is a little stronger), same height, same jersey number, and both put up about the same number of points. If Caron can play, I still wouldn't expect him to start, but he would see his fair share of time backing up Kobe and coming in for Odom, when Odom comes out or moves up to PF. Now, it could be that Butler is the one that can play and Grant can't, if that's the case, then Butler would start at SF and Odom would start at PF. I just don't think Butler would have all that good of a night. If Caron is out, then we can see Luke's new arsenal. He has added muscle and has drastically improved his jumper, we can see if he will be better suited at the SF, or if he and Rudy have the right idea of playing him more at the PF (but behind Odom, Grant, and Slava...there would be limited minutes there) So, to make a long story short...expect to see Odom vs Lewis, the second best matchup of the game.

Brian Grant vs Reggie Evans: Typically, we would be seeing Odom play this spot, since Rudy is planning on moving him to the PF slot, at least for awhile. But with Butler as a game time decision, it's quite possible that he will sit out the first pre-season game. Brian Grant is also somewhat of a question mark, but he's a tough guy that wants to be out there, and since it wasn't even a week ago, when he said he isn't going to miss much, I expect for him to play. This isn't saying that Odom won't see some time at PF tonight, he most likely will see a large portion of his minutes at PF, especially if Grant doesn't feel up to playing big minutes. Nate said he wanted to rotate the players at this position a good bit, because he has a stock pile on his hands--Collison, Fortson, and Radmanovic. I would expect that Rudy, being the player coach that he is, would definitely use Grant against the big body, Fortson. Odom's length and athleticism are two of his biggest attributes and reason enough to play him at the PF. He was able to play it with the Heat, so this will be no different, only now they have a very good duo at the PF...Odom and Grant. I expect that Grant will start things off here. The Lakers can easily dominate this position tonight. We have our choice of length or strength, so none of these small Sonics will be any trouble for us. I think Collison will have the best night out of any of their PFs. He is a second year rookie, who has talent, and something to prove. Too bad for him Odom will limit his production.

Chris Mihm vs Vitaly Potapenko: If only Stephen A. Smith was calling this one. V-Italy Pot-a-pen-ko against the players that is our third best player at camp. Now we get to see if he deserved all the praise Rudy was giving him at camp, and how much muscle he has added on this summer. As long as he can hear the refs blow the whistle, since he has impaired hearing, due to a elbow to the ear, then he will be fine. Neither one of these guys are going to put up huge numbers on any end of the court, neither are going to play great defense, neither are going to leave the fans going wow, this is going to be the boring matchup of the night. Both put up similar numbers, Mihm is more of a presence on the glass, while Potapenko is a slightly better scorer. If the Lakers can get Mihm some easy buckets in the first quarter, he should
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby c.Lin on Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:15 pm

omg it's finally here. game day baby!
c.Lin

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Gameday