Tue. 10/12 vs. Sonics - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby Furious D on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:51 pm

Odom had some good looks. Just couldnt hit them. :bang: I know he is capable of putting up better numbers.
"That's where I want your jersey in about in about ten years." - Mitch Kupchak
Furious D
Good Call Stats Team

Postby leftymo on Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:11 am

I unfortunately didn't get to watch it (being in NY) but did listen to it.

It's clear the Lakers have a LOT of work to do, and they didn't have 5 of their guys, to make excuses.

But again, they played a poor team at home (basically). Mihm looked good with his blocked shots.

It appeared that LA couldn't handle the full court pressure?

80 points with Kobe getting 35 means, nobody else stepped up. And Odom getting 5 points isn't what I expected from him.

Another message board said there was no rebounding. Vlade isn't much of a rebounder, and Grant can be decent, but they're going to need Karl for that!

Any other positives? Brown seemed to play more than Bobbitt, and one thing that Meyers iterated was that Brown should be cut if he can't make free throws (as a PG). Which I thought was a bit harsh, but its clear PG isn't a position of strength with this club.

There were some tense moments with Odom & Slava too, which Stu said will happen a lot more during the year.

Cook seemed to be in Summer Pro League form, picking up 4 fouls in the first half.

So, it'll take some time, they have a LONG ways to go, and hopefully the spillage into the regular season is minimal (but probably a month at least).

The other major thing to consider is the amount of injuries forcing players out of the lineup. Kareem Rush got hurt again (same ankle), and with Butler who was hurt last year, Grant who is injury prone, and Vlade who's never in shape... a lot of question marks begin to surround this team.

But they did show "some" things...

87 points allowed is pretty decent, 51% shooting is also pretty good. 20 turnovers isn't impressive at all.

What did you guys think? Remember, being objective means good & bad.
leftymo

Location: Scottsdale, AZ. 5 years later, married, 2 kids, 2 Laker Titles

Postby dj vitus on Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:26 am

How in the world did we get all these injuries all of a sudden? Last I heard everyone was healthy except Devean George and Vlade Divac.
dj vitus

Postby Furious D on Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:33 am

dj vitus wrote:How in the world did we get all these injuries all of a sudden? Last I heard everyone was healthy except Devean George and Vlade Divac.

This is the reason in my mind...
Furious D wrote:I hate to say it but maybe starting workouts early have hurt the Lakers more than it has helped them.
Furious D
Good Call Stats Team

Postby ricekobe on Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:52 am

I really think Kobe is in for an awesome year. Because he has become so much stronger, if he hasn't loss any quickness like he says, he won't be able to be stopped. If he can post up, and shake loose, its gonna be spectacular to watch.
ricekobe

Postby Guest on Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:36 am

Damn...

37 pages for only one crappy preseason game.

Only remarkable thing is that Bryant played 41 Minutes.

And if you get outrebounded by the Sonics, then you really have some problems, especially in the West.

Right know I don't even think Lakers are going to reach the PO's.

Those teams are better:

SA
Hou
Sac
Min
Uta
Mem
Den
Pho

Postby Kobe The Best on Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:39 am

T-mac thinks Pre-season is a Season/Playoff Game how sad these dude probably doesn't even know who's our President right now :man10:
Kobe The Best

Postby Furious D on Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:17 am

Did anyone else notice that Stu Lantz lost some weight?
Furious D
Good Call Stats Team

Postby Realm of Shadows on Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:17 am

Furious D wrote:Did anyone else notice that Stu Lantz lost some weight?

Something looked different :man3:
What do you get when you fall in love? You only get lies and pain and sorrow.
I feel so much like giving up
Realm of Shadows
Proud Mestizo

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:09 am

Next game:
17th October vs. GS Warriors!
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby noname on Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:35 am

T-Mac wrote:Damn...

And if you get outrebounded by the Sonics, then you really have some problems, especially in the West.

Those teams are better:

SA
Hou
Sac
Min
Uta
Mem
Den
Pho

want a cookie?
noname
Good Call Stats Team

Postby jOeyB7000 on Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:09 am

i didnt get to watch the first half of the game cuz we were watching the Yankees-Red Sox but the first play that came on when i flipped the channel was Kobe stuffing Ray Allen :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
jOeyB7000

Postby LakeShizow on Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:22 am

Am I the only one that thought Jumaine Jones looked pretty good out there?
LakeShizow

Postby Ring It Up on Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:24 am

LakeShizow wrote:Am I the only one that thought Jumaine Jones looked pretty good out there?

Yes
How do I know Jesus loves me so much he doesn't want me working the whole weekend?
Exodus 31:15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death.
Don't believe those lies, son! The only lies worth believing are the ones in the Bible! Can I get an amen?
Ring It Up

Postby ejax06 on Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:25 am

i need a tape of last nights game. does anyone have a copy available?
ejax06

Postby 8kobe8 on Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:34 am

If the lakers dont win on sunday, the critisim would get worse. They need to concentrate on teamwork and defense. Rudy T. should tell kobe he dosent have to score 35pts. Odom needs to work on his game and driving to the baskets.
8kobe8

Postby LakeShizow on Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:44 am

Ring It Up wrote:
LakeShizow wrote:Am I the only one that thought Jumaine Jones looked pretty good out there?

Yes

Come on, no love for JJ? The man got 6 stitches and came back on the floor. Big guard body, some strong rebounds for the limited minutes. Plus you have to admit he looks a lot better out there than D George would've.
LakeShizow

Postby Ring It Up on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:03 am

LakeShizow wrote:
Ring It Up wrote:

Yes

Come on, no love for JJ? The man got 6 stitches and came back on the floor. Big guard body, some strong rebounds for the limited minutes. Plus you have to admit he looks a lot better out there than D George would've.

Looking better than DG? That aint hard. My little sister could do that. I just dont like JJ or his game. What exactly is supposed to bring to this team? I guess I am still going thro Banks withdrawal. Who knows. All I know is I dont like him.
How do I know Jesus loves me so much he doesn't want me working the whole weekend?
Exodus 31:15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death.
Don't believe those lies, son! The only lies worth believing are the ones in the Bible! Can I get an amen?
Ring It Up

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:35 am

What a game!

First of all, I'll take the loss against a decent team who isn't much different from last year. 20 turnovers and alot of stupid defensive mistakes costed us this game; no big deal.

I was extremely impressed with Brown, Mihm (WOW), and Atkins.

I really honestly think once we start to gel ON THE COURT, we will be a threat. I loved the run game the Lakers are now capable of playing under this new system.... It's almost like, I really do think we're going to do some damage; more than I first expected.

And Kobe Bryant is just a work of art in terms of physique. He looks smooth shooting fadeaway three pointers with ease... It's ridiculous.

With Kobe running this team, Rudy T. guiding this team, and the role players around Kobe, this team will be in the playoffs. It's scary to think we could be this good right off the bat.
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby kobe6962 on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:49 am

T-Mac wrote:Damn...

Those teams are better:

SA
Hou
Sac
Min
Uta
Mem
Den
Pho

Well since we wont make the playoffs based on one preseason game. According to you then I guess the Heat won't make it either they lost. And I guess the Kings wont either since GS killed them... Preseason don't make or break you I dont put alot of stock into preseason games
Officially done with ClubLakers. Its too much of a freaking circus for my taste. I wont ever be back and all of you can shove it.

No matter how many times a certain person sends me a message I am done so keep begging I am not coming back you know who you are!
kobe6962

Postby leftymo on Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:53 pm

8kobe8 wrote:If the lakers dont win on sunday, the critisim would get worse. They need to concentrate on teamwork and defense. Rudy T. should tell kobe he dosent have to score 35pts. Odom needs to work on his game and driving to the baskets.

You're right, he scored 35, and the team scored 80.

Rudy should tell him he should go for 50... then maybe LA would've won!

Ok, just kidding of course, Odom scoring 5 points isn't what we got him for.

Kobe will fluctuate with his points from 28-35, but Odom HAS to be the #2 option, and get about 10-15 shots/game.

That 1/2 combo should combine for roughly 45 points/game or more...
leftymo

For those tripping

Postby leftymo on Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:12 pm

For those tripping, just think of it as preparing for the regular season when you'll really start tripping!

It's going to take some time, LA has a LOT of work to do, offensively and defensively. They looked good somewhat defensively, but not completely.

These struggles will run into the regular season, and it will take some time before they all get on the same page.

In fact, expect to see some players NOT on the same page, ultimately won't be with the club.

They need rebounding, and Vlade is NOT a rebounder (ask Sac), Brian Grant is decent but he's injury prone. Karl Malone is the best rebounder LA will have and he wont' be ready until January.

So they have a lot of work to do...
leftymo

Postby hoopschick03 on Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:17 pm

The Lakers have a lot of good film to learn from last night's game.

1. They played well in the first half, faded in the 2nd half.

2. They had a lot energy, but they gave up way too many 2nd chance points. A lot of that was positioning and timing on the jumps for boards and that can be worked on.

3. Odom has to get more aggressive offensively and I'm sure they'll incorporate some sets for him on Sunday.

4. They had too many turnovers. With any fast-breaking team, turnovers will happen, they just have to be crisper in their decision-making on the break. Again, that can be worked on.

Practice is only gonna show you so many things. Nothing like playing an actual game to locate your strengths and weaknesses. They have a lot of work to do, but I don't see that as anything to fear or lament over.
YES WE CAN.
hoopschick03

Postby shoe on Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:19 pm

Didn't get to watch the game, so hopefully I'll catch the next one..

Sounds like Kobe had a good game...
shoe

Postby tuna629 on Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:11 pm

the thing that concerns me the most....defensive rebounds...it seemed like no one in the lakers team was getting any defensive rebounds...yeah mihm was good when he blocked some shots...but j.j. was probably the only one who hit the boards hard...
everyone knows that in order to stay alive in the west, u need to have a good inside game....hope grant can come back soon..he's a descent rebounder.
also, im 100% sure that kobe's gonna be the scoring champ this year.
tuna629

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Gameday