Wed. 11/17 vs. Clippers Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby BDG on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:48 pm

Maybe the best game the Lakers have played since the season opener.

Heroic game by Kobe Bryant stepping up with the injury.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby lofton_wu on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:48 pm

missmyzte wrote:Atkins saying he's been dreaming all summer about getting to throw up a lob for Kobe just to see how high he can jump. :jam2:

haha,cool,Atkins has a good game,he plays better and better now!!
lofton_wu

Postby Cleansed on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:49 pm

Suntzu wrote:Lets hope Chucky has some vet tricks up his sleeve and Lamar can contain Elton.

Well...seems like things played out as expected. Elton was contained (but solid as expected) and Chucky brought his childs play tricks.
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby dynasty4kobe on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:50 pm

I don't know why people hated on Atkins so much. He's playing solid for us IMO.

"Then when we do get back on top, [bandwagoners] are going to want to jump back on and we're going to tell them there's no more room."
-Kobe Bryant, March 28, 2005, 32-37

"I Survived 2005" Club
dynasty4kobe, DarthRekal, In The Key
dynasty4kobe

Postby BDG on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:52 pm

dynasty4kobe wrote:I don't know why people hated on Atkins so much. He's playing solid for us IMO.
17 points, 7 assists tonight :man1:
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby UCLAbadfish on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:53 pm

dynasty4kobe wrote:I don't know why people hated on Atkins so much. He's playing solid for us IMO.

He was impressive tonight, but I still worry about him on the defense end. I think most people who hate on him do so because of his tendency to get burned by faster PGs.
UCLAbadfish

Postby BDG on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:55 pm

Shaq Fan wrote:Clipps wll win, it always seems like Clipps beat Lakers
:man6:

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby S.R.05 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:58 pm

BryantDunkGiant wrote:
Shaq Fan wrote:Clipps wll win, it always seems like Clipps beat Lakers
:man6:

:man10:
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:59 pm

hurray for clippers fourth quarter collapse.
GWHiZiTSPHiL
Clublakers Rep: Clippers

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:01 pm

Suntzu wrote:
Suntzu wrote:Lets hope Chucky has some vet tricks up his sleeve and Lamar can contain Elton.

Well...seems like things played out as expected. Elton was contained (but solid as expected) and Chucky brought his childs play tricks.

lamar odom certainly did not contain elton brand. corey maggette was going 1 on 1 the whole game, completely forgetting everything he has learned this season.
GWHiZiTSPHiL

Postby Kasumi on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:01 pm

Lakers 103, Clippers 89

New rivalry, same result.

Kobe Bryant had 23 points, six rebounds and a season-high 11 assists, Chucky Atkins scored 12 of his 17 points in the first 61/2 minutes of the fourth quarter, and the Los Angeles Lakers beat the Los Angeles Clippers 103-89 Wednesday night.

The Lakers took command by outscoring the Clippers 24-7 for a 95-78 lead with 5:43 left. Bryant highlighted the run with a soaring dunk after an alley-oop pass from Atkins with 6:50 to play, bringing the Staples Center fans to their feet.

Corey Maggette scored seven points in a row for the Clippers to make it interesting, but Bryant got the next four to make it 99-85.

With Shaquille O'Neal gone and Bryant surrounded by a whole new team, the crosstown rivalry appears a lot more even than in past years. But the Lakers remained on top in the first game between the teams this season.

The Lakers are 18-3 against the Clippers at Staples Center since the arena opened five years ago, and have a 27-3 record in the last 30 games between the teams.

Chris Mihm scored 15 points, Caron Butler added 14, Brian Cook had 12, and Lamar Odom 11 for the Lakers (5-4).

Maggette finished with 24 points. Bobby Simmons had 23 points and eight rebounds, Elton Brand added 14 points and 11 rebounds, and Chris Wilcox had 14 points and nine rebounds for the Clippers (5-4).

Bryant didn't appear bothered by a sore left foot diagnosed last week as plantar fasciitis. He sat out practice Monday and Tuesday, but wound up playing 45 minutes, including all 24 in the second half.

Simmons scored 12 points in the first eight minutes of the third quarter, making six shots without a miss, to spark a 20-12 run that put the Clippers up 66-65.

The Lakers went ahead for good by scoring nine straight points to finish the third period and start the fourth for an 80-71 lead.

Bryant had seven points and eight assists in the first half, which ended with the Lakers leading 53-46. He assisted on 3-pointers from the left corner in the final seconds of the first and second quarters -- the first by Luke Walton, the second by Butler.

The Lakers led 29-24 after the opening period despite allowing the Clippers to grab 11 offensive rebounds while getting just one themselves. Mihm had 12 points in the quarter, but didn't score again until late in the third.

Notes:

Lakers F Slava Medvedenko, sidelined all season with an injured right heel, suited up for the first time but didn't play. He came off the injured list last week. ... Lakers coach Rudy Tomjanovich said he believes C Vlade Divac (herniated disk) should be ready to play for the first time this season sometime next week. ... Clippers C Chris Kaman, who hasn't played since spraining his left ankle late in the preseason, said he believes that barring a setback, he'll be ready to go by Thanksgiving. ... Wilcox accidentally tipped a missed shot by Mihm into the basket late in the first quarter. Mihm received credit for the two points. ... The Lakers are 0-4 when allowing 100 or more points and 5-0 when giving up less than 100. The Clippers allowed only one previous opponent to surpass 100 points. ... Brand got his 1,000th career assist in the third quarter.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/11/17/sports0100EST0063.DTL
ImageImage

You can now find me over at www.LakersBall.com
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby BDG on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:01 pm

GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:hurray for clippers fourth quarter collapse.
I'm not rubbing it in, but the Clippers have a habit of thinking the basketball game is only 42 minutes long... it kills them sometimes.

An enteraining game overall though :man1:

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Cleansed on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:05 pm

GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:
Suntzu wrote:

lamar odom certainly did not contain elton brand. corey maggette was going 1 on 1 the whole game, completely forgetting everything he has learned this season.

Agreed. I hesitated before pressing submit. He was contained....just not by Lamar solely. If you want to chalk it up to a combination of Lamar, Corey , etc. so be it. Results the same.

Man i would love to see Kobe on that team in another universe.
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby Jimmy Page on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:06 pm

Oh, this team definitely needs a long-term solution at point guard. We need a power forward too...eventually Kupchak will have to clear this glut of swingmen and hopefully can land us something quality in return.
Jimmy Page

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:07 pm

GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:
Suntzu wrote:

I agree..it was Mihm who contained him :man9:
KareemTheGreat33

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:09 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:
Suntzu wrote:

yeah, let's trade.
GWHiZiTSPHiL

Postby Crono0801 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:10 pm

I was at work, i missed the game :bang: :bang:
RIP Daniel RIP Ana RIP Tom

The Greatest Game of All time
Crono0801
Good Call Stats Team

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:11 pm

Wow, if 15 points and 11 rebounds is contained then it'd be scary what he would put up if he wasn't.
GWHiZiTSPHiL

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:12 pm

GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:
Suntzu wrote:

yeah, let's trade.

You were the one who wrote Mihm would do nothing in this game because of Brand and Wilcox.. 12 pts in the first seem doing something to me against your guys..
KareemTheGreat33

Postby S.R.05 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:12 pm

GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:Wow, if 15 points and 11 rebounds is contained then it'd be scary what he would put up if he wasn't.

well its contained compared to last year when he scored 35+ points on us in one of the games
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:15 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:
Suntzu wrote:

yeah, let's trade.

You were the one who wrote Mihm would do nothing in this game because of Brand and Wilcox.. 12 pts in the first seem doing something to me against your guys..

thanks for putting words in my mouth. when did I say Mihm would do nothing? I said the way the clippers were playing right now, they would dominate the boards. and they played stupid.
GWHiZiTSPHiL

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:19 pm

GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Mihm is due for another good game.... 20 pts. 10 reb. 5 blks... C'mon Chris prove me right!!!

The way Wilcox/Brand are playing? It won't happen tomorow.

Yeah..
KareemTheGreat33

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:20 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Mihm is due for another good game.... 20 pts. 10 reb. 5 blks... C'mon Chris prove me right!!!

Yeah..

Did he score 20, 10, and 5? No. Did I say he would suck? No. Did I say with the way Wilcox and Brand are playing (currently) it wouldn't happen.

Good job..

Clippers had nothing to lose with this game, but I'm very disappointed in Corey Maggette and their lack of intensity.
GWHiZiTSPHiL

Postby RHCP on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:24 pm

I was at the game baby! I saw LD2k on the big monitor and I went crazy after that alley oop
RHCP
2nd Cousin of Cherokee Parks

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:25 pm

GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:

Yeah..

Did he score 20, 10, and 5? No. Did I say he would suck? No. Did I say with the way Wilcox and Brand are playing (currently) it wouldn't happen.

Good job..

Clippers had nothing to lose with this game, but I'm very disappointed in Corey Maggette and their lack of intensity.

Those are my own predicted numbers.. Mihm had a good game against Brand/Wilcox. End of story.
KareemTheGreat33

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Gameday